Meeting the representatives
41 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At a certain parchment company, Marcus was holding his head with his hands. It's been a few months in and the fate of the company is at stake. Their sales in parchment production have been at the red line for many months already incurring unpaid debts and shutting down many of their workshops while also laying off many people in the process. Things however were different from years ago.

The Balticarian Trading Company was one of the biggest Parchment Companies in the entire Palatine Empire. This however changed when competition began to enter the market. At first, former heads were complacent of the competition thinking that since they were the oldest and biggest makers in this market, competition was bound to fail at the end.

Things however became different, as the competition became more successful while the Baticarian Trading Company began to lose profit. Former owners then became indifferent to it thinking it was just a mere fluke. With this the Balticarian Company began to enact bad decisions hence the constant shift in ownership. And now after the past head resigned from his post, A year ago, Marcus was named as the Head of the Company, trying to enact reforms in production, the company’s profits began to increase but in the end, was still not enough. 

Marcus can’t help but exclaim in deep resignation. He can’t help but think about how to improve the situation inside the company. While pondering, his assistant entered his office with coffee in hand. 

“Sir, it's time for you to drink your coffee” the assistant suggested while placing the cup of coffee on the table Marcus

“Thank you Jane” the assistant named Jane then gave Marcus a smile

“That reminds me, Sir, it seems like the mayor has called for all the representatives of the three parchment companies inside the city for an urgent meeting”

“An urgent meeting? Why is this the case? Is it a meeting about decreasing the prices of parchment again? If it is then please decline”

“No sir, it seems to be organized by the Governor’s Son”

“The Governor’s Son?”

Marcus can’t help but be intrigued by the revelation. Days ago, the Governor’s Son was spotted inside the city hall and has been working there diligently despite being 12 Years Old. Marcus can’t help but rather have a good feeling about this. His gut feeling was telling him to go to the meeting.

“Jane, what seems to be the mood of the other companies?”

“They seem to be reluctant to go sir, but since it is the governor’s son, they will somehow attend the meeting”

“I see…”

“Jane, when will the meeting be organized?”

“Next 3 days from now sir”

“Make sure to cancel all my schedule that day and oh buy a gift for the Lord will you”

“Yes sir it will be done”

Jane left the office. Marcus can’t help but grin to himself. His gut feeling is definitely telling him that something good will happen in the meeting.

“The governor’s son hmm…I wonder what kind of person that might be”

Inside the makeshift office Alex inside the city hall, he was preparing for the meeting that would happen between the three companies. Suddenly his page Michael entered the office, with him were the items that Alex had him forged days ago at the Ironworks. 

“Sir, the items you have ordered from the ironworks have arrived. Where do you want me to put it?”

“Hmm ah thanks Michael, please just place it right there”

Alex then pointed at the place near the closet. Michael then ordered the other servants to place the items there. Then as if waiting for the timing, Philip entered the room.

“My Lord, all the representatives have now arrived. They are currently waiting for you at the hall.”

“Great thank you, Philip”

Alex then went outside his office and began to proceed to the meeting hall prepared by the Mayor Himself. There he saw the three representatives of the Major Parchment Companies of the city. When Alex entered, all of them straightened up their posture and greeted the Young Lord.

“It's a pleasure to meet you, everyone, now I would cut to the chase as time for us is a very important thing. I’m thinking of creating a new product that will someday revolutionize the parchment industry”

“And what would that be my lord?”The representative of one Company called Milvorne Trading Company asked Alex

“I'm thinking of introducing a new means of place where people can write. I call this paper. It's cheaper than parchment and can be mass-produced easily. Now I’m not well versed in the production of such things hence Im asking for the cooperation of all the parchment-producing companies in this City.” Alex said to the representatives. All of them were dumbfounded by what the lord presented them. Not only was it very idealistic, but it seems like there has been no attempt made to create it in the first place. 

Alex then presented a piece of parchment to each of them. Written on it were the ingredients, instructions, and tools necessary to create paper. It was very detailed for it to be just a mere idea of a child. This caught my attention of Marcus. 

Hmmm..is this…no such methods have ever been tried before…but maybe just maybe…

“Hmm…it might seem to be very detailed but it could be just the whim of your childish dreams my lord besides such a thing was never tried be-“

“We’ll take this your lordship. I-no the Balticarian Company will support this endeavor”

The Representative of the Freeden Trading Company was cut off by an energetic scream from Marcus. The other representatives were surprised at first but then pitied the young Marcus.

I guess the curse of bad decisions is still present in the Balticarian Company sigh…

“Hmm? Oh Great! Now then any other ones who will join this endeavor”

“I'm sorry your lordship but our company lacks the resources to fund this risky endeavor”

“So do ours, my lord, maybe shortly when such opportunities come, we will support your rule in other ways”

The Freeden and Milvorne Trading Companies rejected the offer of Alex. In their minds, they didn’t see the real benefit of developing such items when in the first place, the parchment industry has been very profitable for them. Unlike the Balticarian Trading Company which is suffering from major losses and in need of a great hit product, these two seem to think that there is no need to tackle such a thought as long as they still profit from parchments in the process.

After that, the meeting has ended. Marcus then was called by Alex to his Office.

“Thank you for supporting my endeavor Sir. May I know what your name and affiliation are?”

“Yes My lord, I am Marcus the President of the Balticarian Trading Company”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Marcus. Now about paper, I shall give you all the necessary items, procedures, and ingredients needed to make paper”

“Thank you, my lord”

“In one condition that is.”

“And what might that be my lord?”

“I shall see through it that I shall have 40% of the total earnings for paper. Since you’re handling the production I guess 60% is more favorable for you is it?”

It was more than welcome for Marcus. Since this world's common sense dictates that both parties should have a 50-50 division of earnings even under such circumstances. Having to earn an additional 10 percent is a great thing for Marcus and his dying company.

“Yes! We shall see through it that the production of paper will be successful my lord!”

“Good now to other things Michael and Philip shall handle it”

“Yes! Now then please excuse us my lord”

Marcus then exited the office and the City Hall. Riding the Carriage, he can’t but be anxious about this bold investment that he made. He thought someday that if his intuition was right, then he might gain a lot from this. But if he is wrong then maybe this might spill the end of him and the Company. 

Sigh… I do hope I did the right thing with this investment. 

Marcus then recalled the image of the Young Lord.

He seems to be more mature compared to his age. He might be a genius at his age. I can’t wait for him to become a lord someday.

2