Chapter 3
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    "You want me to remove the.. thing?" Alex asked, with a laugh. This was one of the last things he expected to hear, and actually hearing it really didn't do him any better. "Yes," OVO replied. "Is there a problem?" Alex looked at OVO like it was wearing a coat in the middle of the summer. "No shit, there's a problem," Alex replied. "Didn't you say that the irrational entity could be a god?" OVO paused for a moment. "Yes, I indeed did say that."

    "How in the right universe, do you think I, could kill a god?"

    "I believe I also mentioned that it could be something else entirely."

    "Great."

    "So, you'll be doing it?"

    "No!" It was getting clear to Alex that this god was a little unscrewed. "Why me, anyway?" OVO passed the little iridescent crystal to Alex. "Well, you are the only mortal that can do it. Besides, weren't you looking for someone?" Something clicked in Alex's head. "This 'irrational thing' has Mia?"

    "Not exactly-" OVO answered. "But it would definitely help you find her, and all the other missing things."

    "You said you are a god, couldn't you just do it yourself?"

    "I, unfortunately, do not have access to the mortal parts of your universe. Let's just say there was.. an incident. Now, we should really get going. We are running late. " OVO started walking faster, and although it was just walking, it was hard for Alex to keep up properly because of it's height. And soon enough, they reached a gigantic marble building that resembled a temple, an ancient architecture design, with a modern finish to it. "We have arrived," OVO said, entering the building. "The central processor. The council is waiting for your trial."

    "Trial? What trial?" Alex followed OVO into the building. The inside was a blinding bright light, decorated with gold, platinum, and gemstones of non-existent colors.

    "The council will decide whether you will live, or not. This is standard procedure for mortals who visit the capital."

    "So.. what do I have to do to live?" Alex asked. He realized that at this point, there was no point in arguing. "I believe that it will be some basic self verification and so forth," OVO replied, opening the entrance to the court room. "Nothing too involved. Best of luck."

    Alex walked into the court room, as OVO closed the door behind him. There were rows and rows of long benches, stacking up to infinity, or so it seemed, as it wasn't possible to see the top floor. "Take a seat," said the man sitting in the center. Every seat had a person, or, god, occupying it. Maybe he got used to being around gods at this point, because it was definitely easier to breathe, so he took a deep breath, and he sat down. The man in the center rummaged through a stack of papers, picked one out, and placed the rest of the papers neatly to the side of the table. "Alex, from U#27?"

    "Yup, that's me." Alex never really had a 'public speech' moment before, and his first time had hundreds, no, thousands of eyes watching him. Daunting.

    "And you are here to remove the irrational occurence in U#27, correct?"

    "Yup." This was going easier than he expected. "The occurence. Me. Mhm."

    "Alright.. Then all you have to do now, is to prove to us that you are capable of doing so." At that moment, all the attention in the room was directed at Alex. This was not what he was expecting. He could feel every vein in his body circulating blood, every fiber in his muscle flexing. This, greatly amplified his nervousness and anxiety, and wasn't a very pleasant feeling. "What?"

    "Prove to us, that you are capable of removing the occurence."

    "How am I supposed to do that?" Alex was starting to get a feeling that OVO did not know what he was doing. "A demonstration of your powers, magic, wit, whatever you have. Just, impress us." The man in the center put on his glasses, as Alex was a bit too far away for him to see properly. And Alex, by now, was sure that OVO had no idea what he was doing. He quickly glanced around the room, to see if there was anything that he could do, or use. Nothing. "Umm.. I think there was a misunderstanding."

    "What do you mean?"

    "I can't use any magic." The crowd started to buzz, and the man in the center started going through the paper again. "OVO just brought me here, I don't even know why." Alex remembered what OVO told him, about the council deciding if he lived or not. He couldn't just die here, could he?

    "Ah, Oculi. I should've known. Well then, Alex, that brings us to a quick conclusion, you have our gratitude for your honesty and time."

    "So.. what happens now?" Alex was hoping that it would end as a simple misunderstanding.

    "Your execution." He hoped wrong.

    "But- OVO brought- dragged me here! I didn't have any other choice!" Alex was on the verge of tears, tears of guilt, confusion and anger. This was another level of unfair. "I'm sorry Alex, but there's nothing we can do. Policy is a policy, and policy says, 'execution'." The man in the center snapped his finger, as the piece of paper dissapeared, and the crowd started to shrink. There were no more than 20 gods left in the room, including the man in the center, presumeably to watch the end of this poor boy's fate. "Well, there is a workaround," a voice came from the seats. "I could take him as my apperentice until the execution date.. And then he could prove himself." A woman with dark hair, wearing a black shirt with a reflective white jacket jumped down onto the floor, from one of the top seats. The back of her jacket read 7, and there was an eyepatch around her right eye. "That would cancel the execution, wouldn't it?"

    "Yes Beth, it would.. But you have no reason to." The man in the center sighed, and started to pack his things. "But I could," Beth said. Alex could sense arrogance in her voice. He didn't know her, but she was currently the only factor that could extend his lifespan. "She can do that?"

    "Yes, but gods don't take mortals as apperentices. As I said, she has no reason to do so, it would be a waste of time."

    "But, if the reason was my entertainment, it would work, eh, Charlie?" This annoyed Charlie very much.

    "Don't call me Charlie in public.. I want to go by the 'man in the center'. It gives me a sense of authority."

    "Whatever you say, Charlie in the center." Beth sniggered. "Anyways, I'm taking this boy as my apperentice, for the 'sake' of my own entertainment. No takesy backsies Charlie, no takesy backsies..."

    "Fine, just please, get out of my sight. And take the boy with you." Charlie left the room, muttering something about 'a lot of explaining to do' on the way out. Alex could tell that Beth annoyed Charlie a lot, and that she was very good at doing so. "Uhh.. thanks." She was taller than he thought, close up, she was at least 30 centimeters taller than him. "No problem, kid," Beth laughed. "Besides, I wanted to check something."

    "Check something?"

    "Your blood... And some other things. But more importantly, your blood." Alex was starting to think that maybe execution may have been the better choice. "Anyways, let me introduce myself real quick- I'm Beth, the main engineer of the 27th capital, and the current god of technology. Most of the technology you see here, was made by me." Alex blinked. "Ok." Alex opened the door to leave the room, to see OVO standing outside. "How did the trial go?"

    "You fucking son of a-" Alex was cut of by Beth, who covered up his mouth. "Oc, my man."

    "Oh, Beth. It's you." There was an awkward silence in the halls.

0