Chapter 7
236 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 7: The Escape to Grandchester Kingdom

As dawn's first light crept into the cellar, Elsie and the children began to execute their escape plan. The once lively village was now a silent graveyard, the aftermath of the bandit raid looming over it like a dark cloud. Elsie whispered to the group, “We need to be quiet and quick. Our goal is to reach the Grandchester Kingdom for safety and help.”

The children nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. Neil, standing beside Elsie, reassured the younger ones, “We’ll look out for each other. Follow Elsie’s lead.”

Elsie cautiously opened the cellar door, peering out to ensure no bandits were in sight. “We’ll move through the back alleys and avoid the main streets,” she instructed. “Stay close and keep to the shadows.”

The group moved stealthily, their hearts pounding with fear and adrenaline. Every creak and rustle of leaves sent shivers down their spines. Elsie led the way, her senses heightened, acutely aware of every movement around them.

As they navigated through the village, the devastation became more apparent. Burnt houses, looted shops, and the haunting silence painted a grim picture of the night’s horrors. The children’s eyes were wide with shock, but they pressed on, driven by the hope of reaching safety.

Neil, keeping close to Elsie, whispered, “How far is Grandchester Kingdom?” Elsie replied softly, “It’s a day’s journey on foot. We need to reach the edge of the forest; from there, it’s safer to travel.”

The group made their way to the village outskirts, avoiding detection. They reached the forest edge just as the sun began to rise higher in the sky. Elsie looked back at the village one last time, a pang of sorrow in her heart.

Once in the forest, they quickened their pace. The dense foliage provided cover, but also made the journey more challenging. “Stay alert,” Elsie reminded them. “We’re not out of danger yet.”

The children, tired and scared, drew strength from Elsie’s resolve. They traversed through the forest, guided by her knowledge of the terrain. Neil helped the younger ones, offering support and encouragement.

As the day progressed, they shared stories and sang softly to keep their spirits up. The camaraderie within the group grew, their shared ordeal binding them together.

By late afternoon, they reached the border of the Grandchester Kingdom. Relief washed over them as they saw the patrolled gates in the distance. Elsie approached the guards, her voice firm yet weary, “We’re from the village of Eldoria. It was attacked by bandits. We need shelter and help.”

The guards, upon hearing their plight, immediately offered assistance. They were led to a safe haven where they could rest and receive care. The children, exhausted but safe, huddled together, their journey to safety finally at an end.

In the safety of the Grandchester Kingdom, Elsie and the children faced a new chapter in their lives. Though their hearts were heavy with loss, they found solace in each other and hope in the kindness of strangers. The journey had been perilous, but their strength and unity had seen them through to a new beginning.

6