Chapter 21
161 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 21: A Tragic Sacrifice

The turmoil in the empire had far-reaching consequences, with convoys dispatched to neighboring kingdoms seeking aid. One such convoy, in a desperate rush, approached the kingdom where Elsie and Neil resided. Elsie and Neil, coincidentally near the city entrance at that time, witnessed the arrival of the convoy firsthand.

The convoy's carriages, speeding recklessly down the street, posed an immediate danger to the civilians in their path. Among them was a pregnant woman with her children, frozen in fear as the horses bore down upon them.

Reacting instinctively, Neil dashed forward, intent on rescuing the family. With no thought for his own safety, he managed to push the woman and her children out of harm's way but was tragically caught under the thundering hooves of the horses.

Elsie, witnessing the horrific scene, let out a scream as the convoy halted momentarily. Neil lay injured and motionless on the ground. The convoy’s guards, infuriated by the interruption, emerged with swords drawn, and without a moment's hesitation, they stabbed Neil repeatedly, declaring, "You dare block our path, your life shall end here."

As they continued on their way, Elsie rushed to Neil's side, tears streaming down her face. She cradled his head in her lap, her hands trembling as she tried to comprehend the severity of his injuries.

"Neil, stay with me," she pleaded, her voice breaking.

Neil, struggling to speak, managed a weak smile. "Elsie... I couldn't let them hurt those kids. I had to do something."

Elsie sobbed, her heart breaking at the sight of her friend, so grievously wounded. "You're going to be okay, Neil. I'll find a way to save you."

As Neil's breaths grew shallower, he looked up at Elsie, a sense of peace in his eyes. "Elsie, I've always... cared about you. More than you know."

Elsie, holding back her tears, nodded. "I know, Neil. I've always known. You're my best friend, my hero."

Realizing the gravity of the situation, Elsie knew she had to act quickly. Though she had not yet mastered healing magic, she remembered a secret technique she had learned from the headmaster – a way to preserve a soul for future revival.

With shaking hands and a heavy heart, Elsie began the incantation, channeling all her focus and magical energy. "I won't let your sacrifice be in vain, Neil. I promise to bring you back," she whispered, as she completed the spell, safely storing Neil’s soul.

As she sat there, cradling Neil's lifeless body, her grief turned to resolve. "I will help defeat this empire," she declared through her tears. "For you, Neil, and for all those who suffer under their tyranny."

The tragic event was a turning point for Elsie. Fueled by her sorrow and anger, she committed herself to fighting against the injustices of the empire. Her resolve to learn healing magic and revive Neil became her driving force.

The news of Neil's sacrifice spread through the kingdom, and he was remembered as a hero who gave his life to save others. Elsie, now more determined than ever, continued her studies, honing her skills in magic and swordsmanship, and seeking knowledge that would one day allow her to fulfill her promise to Neil.

4