Chapter Two – Awakening
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yogyakarta Bastion, 10th May 2145

As the orange skies changed into violet, a ferocious beast growl emanated from Angus’s stomach and could be heard rumbling. Stroking his empty stomach, Angus quickly put his small bag into his backpack and ready to scrounge for dinner.

Outside the hotel, as he surveyed the surroundings, his eyes were drawn to a bustling street corner adorned with food stalls illuminated by flickering lamps. The vibrant colors of fresh vegetables, succulent meats, and steaming rice were a feast to his eyes.

The enticing fragrance of sizzling satay, mingling with the rich spices of Nusantara cuisine, engulfed his nostrils, causing his mouth to water uncontrollably.

Approaching the hawker, Angus said with an excited voice.

“I will have a portion of goat satay with extra ketupat please.”

Swiftly the old man began to grill the already prepared marinade cube meat in the slender bamboo skewers.

As the skewers were placed over the open flame, a tantalizing sizzle filled the air. As the old man fanned the skewers, the dancing flames danced and licked the meat, imparting the charred smokiness that would complement the tender goat perfectly. The caramelized satay skewers were delicately arranged on a vibrant banana leaf on top of ketupat with peanut and soy sauce in it.

Angus took his first bite, and a symphony of flavors exploded on his palate. The tender goat meat, infused with the complex marinade and kissed by the flame, offered a delightful combination of smokiness, spice, and juiciness. Each bite was a revelation, a testament to the old man’s expertise and dedication to his craft.

With a full stomach, Angus takes a deep breath “Amazing, this delicacy is also one reason I return back to Nusantara.

After resting a short while and chatting with the old man, trying to get wind of a recent event. Angus pays for the excellent dinner that he has not had in a while. He prepares to visit a nearby store to restock for his journey.

***

As Angus enters the eye-catching store, he sees a lineup of people wearing a black cloak with the same insignia, a black panther head gnawing dual dagger. “DD Black Panther team

“Hurry up!” the slender man with a pair of dazzling dagger hilts on his waist shouted to the clerk attending the group.

“The chaotic beast acting up these days, they razed the nearby village to the ground yesterday, it’s our chance to earn big” He sounded hysterical.

“Calm your tits down Jake!” said a tanned woman with a robust build and an axe hanging her back, while side-eying the said man.

“Come on Agnes do not patronize me. It is a big chance to level up, gain mana stones and earn our fortune. We need to move ASAP!” poking his tongue out and making a weird slurpy sound at the tanned woman.

In a hasty and annoyed tone, the clerk said, “Here is your pack of health potions and mana potions, 500 credits for health potions, and 1000 credits for mana potions.”

Paying for the pack of potions the young man with neat black hair said, “Quit both of you, let’s go!” The group walked toward the store exit while the slender man and tanned woman still glaring at each other.

Angus approached the clerk, and with a big smile, the clerk said, “Welcome to Roro Thrift Store, may I help you sir?” with his curiosity Angus asked the clerk “Is there something wrong? The previous team seems in a hurry?”

“Ah, the DD Black Panther Team? The group of chaotic beasts raze the nearby village, a word in from the guild, the beast commander emitting mana aura, a full fledge silver grade, and probably woke with sentient.” Said the clerk while tidying up the counter.

No wonder they seem to hurry, a silver-grade NEXRUPIKA, a walking treasure trove.” Back to his sense, Angus said to the clerk, “Did you sell any ready-to-eat and canned food that could for a long time?”

Excitedly the clerk said, “We have an Adventure Rations Type-C for 50 credits each, Type-B for 100 credits each and Type-A for 1000 credits each, a canned mutated beef meat for 300 credits each, and a canned mutated chicken meat for 150 credits each.”

“10 Type-C and 5 Type-B with a pack of health potions and mana potions, please.”

“2.500 credits.” Do you need anything else? We just received a new batch of mana stone or chaotic beast parts if you were interested!

Angus’s eyes widened as he observed the yellow mana stone with a sparkling spark, “How much for that yellow mana stone?” Angus asked, unable to hide his fascination.

The clerk, recognizing Angus’s interest, responds with enthusiasm, “Ah, you have an eye for quality sir! This particular one is thunder element silver grade mana stone, and it can be yours for 200,000 credits!”

Shocked by the price tag, Angus flushed shyly and said: “Thank you, I … I do not need it right now… maybe next time.”

Do not give up, the clerk still trying to sell Angus his product said, “If you’re a Guild member, you could apply for payment in installments!” “This mana stone was rare and cheap! you won’t find this deal in another store!”

“Thank you… but I have to pass.” Swiftly Angus switches his vision to the corner of the store and walks there to browse for other stuff leaving the clerk, he could not afford the mana stone, all he needs is gear for surviving in the wilderness, items like a clean water capsule, ready-to-build tent, and beast repellant are a basic for a novice adventurer. Finish with necessity, Angus paid the clerk.

***

As Angus settled back into his hotel room, he took a refreshing shower to wash away the weariness of the day. The cold water cascaded down his adolescent body, and although a firm muscle could be seen here and there, toning his physique, Angus was just a teen after all, his muscles were the product of his four-year self-torture and reliance.

After finishing his shower, he laid down on the comfortable bed, he knew that he must relieve his tired muscles and rejuvenate his spirit. Tomorrow is a big day, gazing toward the old and dull-looking ceiling, he sets a timer in his personal interface and slowly closes his eyes as weariness embraces him.

***

Beep... Beep... Time to get up soldier! Move your ass and get ready!” A masculine drill sergeant theme of alarm rang in Angus’s head.

Was in the next morning, the system sound woke Angus up, anticipation could be seen in Angus’s brown eyes, as he stood up from the bed, walked towards the window, and looked at the area that used to be a Prambanan Temple site, a starless night sky still looming. Looking at the time it was 01:00 in the morning. Quickly Angus did a little warm-up before putting his gear on, ensuring that everything he needed for awakening was already in place, with a backpack slung over his shoulder he was ready.

As he stepped outside, the cool morning air filling his lungs, Angus set off towards the outskirts of the bastion, passing through the checkpoint, following the path the landscape transformed around him the bustling street and familiar sights of civilization gave way to vast untamed beauty. Prambanan Temple sites were near the bastion, which before the mana awakening this place was a tourist spot in the city center, now a ruin a void of human civilization.

Angus reminded himself to stay vigilant and aware of his surroundings, with his hand readily on the short dagger in his waist, he knew and trained for as outside the bastion anything can happen, danger lurks anywhere, from humans to chaotic beasts.

Angus ventured forth, after an hour’s walk, he arrived at the ruin’s sites, in the distance he could see a patrolling team hunting in this area, without wanting to raise unwanted attention Angus swiftly entered the ruins sites and eying for a decent spot to begin the awakening.

After scouting the area, he found an ancient pillar that still stood against time, the pillar eroded with time was engraved with ancient drawings and glyph, surrounded it was remnants of ruins, making it a perfect place to defend against. After preparing the beast repellant around the pillar he began to sit cross-legged. Looking into his personal interface the clock is now on 02:30 in the morning. He takes out the trinket, the mana stones, and the mana elixir and arranges them neatly in front of him.

Closing his eyes, he focused his thoughts, calming his mind, and entering a state of deep concentration. In this stillness, Angus began to uncork the vial and poured the simmering liquid into his mouth, holding the trinket in his right-hand Angus began channeling his mind and spiritual energy.

As the clock struck 03:00, a surge of energy erupted from Angus, body, mind, and spirit entwined with mana as its core, connecting Angus with mana within him and mana around him. Angus’s body radiated a rainbow-colored ray, illuminating the ruins.

The awakening process varies, usually for human earthlings it is around 1 to 4 hours there is a rare case that it would take a whole day. The awakening process is still a mystery and uncharted territory today, the time needed does not affect slightly to the result, you could take a whole day to entwined with mana to awake the most common awakening which is Body awakening, or a minute but to awake the rarest of all, the NEXRUPIKA, a sentient being with body, mind, spirit entwined with mana.

As the time ticked away, Angus could sense the mana within him reaching its peak, ready to surge forth and unlock new potential. With the final surge of determination, grasping the trinket he embraced the flow of mana into his veins, his mind, and his spirit. A loud boom could be heard as mana rippled around Angus at its center.

A ray of sunlight pierced through the Prambanan Temple ruins, casting a gentle glow on his face. The warm, golden light painted his features, with a smile on his face, accentuating the anticipation and determination in his heart.

While Angus embraces the sunlight, letting his awakened mana mingle with the newfound energy around him.

He slowly opened his eyes.

***

1