Chapter 5
222 1 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Gloria!” Kyra burst through the door into Gloria’s room. Gloria laid on a bed in the corner of the room. “Are you okay!? I came as soon as I could!”

Gloria sighed and chuckled at the messenger. “Yes Kyra, I am fine.” The knight pulled herself upright, bringing the bloodied bandages over her shoulder to attention.

Kyra grimaced. “Those bandits got you good.”

Gloria laughed. She winced shortly after, the laughter disturbing her wounds. “I assure you, I got them better.” Gloria grinned at her. “It takes more than a few arrows to stop me”

“A few?” Kyra dashed to the bedside. “I thought it was just the one!” She ripped the blanket off of Gloria. Half of her body was covered in bandages: her shoulder, a thigh, and her entire abdomen.

“Impressed?” Gloria said dryly.

“Impressed!?” Kyra shouted. “I’m worried! They turned you into a pincushion! How are you not sobbing in agony?”

Gloria shrugged. “You get accustomed to the pain. I’ve even come to welcome it. It’s a reminder that I’m still alive”

Kyra supposed that was a reasonable explanation, but that didn’t change her next question. “Is there anything I can do to assist you while you recover?”

“I don’t think so. It should only be a few days until I’m all healed up. You don’t have to worry about me.”

“Nope!” Kyra wouldn’t let Gloria just rot away in her bed like that and definitely not alone. “I’m going to stay right here until you’re all healed up.”

“Kyra, I don’t need your help. I’m fine on my own.” The Knight tried to refuse assistance once more but Kyra wasn’t having any of it.

“Healing needs rest.” Kyra chided. “Even with magic healing abilities you still need rest.”

Ava scowled at her computer. It was happening again.

Kyra retreated from Gloria’s bedroom and began looking for ingredients. It had been a long while since she brushed off her culinary skills, but playing nurse for Gloria was a good enough reason to do so.

Despite being out of practice, Kyra managed to whip up a decent meal for Gloria.

“You can cook?” Gloria asked before sinking her teeth into the meal.

“It’s just an old hobby” Kyra waved her hands dismissively. “I haven’t cooked in a long while though”

“Well it’s incredible” Gloria took another ravenous bite. “You’re an amazing cook”

Another copycat chapter. Ava considered sending a message to Moore calling her out but she resisted, she had to be sure of what was happening before she started pointing fingers. 

Ava pursed her lips. How was she supposed to do that? Nothing was word-for-word plagiarized, but the parallels between the two stories were uncanny. Of course, the stories weren’t exactly the same. The romance in Moore’s story was just a subplot that was overshadowed by the whole ‘protect the kingdom’ aspect of the story. Ava groaned into her pillow. Why was this so complicated? Writing was supposed to be non-dramatic! 

Fake people, fake stories, everything was fake! It was supposed to be what she did to avoid her problems. Now she needed an escape from her escapism!

Her phone rang. Perfect, a distraction.

“Paige! Hi! What’s up?” She answered into the phone, sounding a little overenthusiastic.

Paige took a moment to respond. “Hey Ava. I feel weird asking this, but could I go to the gym with you sometime?”

“Oh really?” Ava momentarily lowered her phone in surprise. Paige had never expressed any interest in exercising before, but Ava supposed that there was nothing wrong with that changing now. She raised the phone back to her ear. “Of course you can come with me.”

Ava heard Paige sigh on the other side of the phone. “Thanks! Uh… when could we do that? I don’t actually know what your schedule is.”

“Do you want to go now?” Ava suggested, eager to get away from her computer.

Paige sat in shocked silence for a few moments before cracking up through the phone. “I- Yeah sure why not! I guess I’ll meet you there?”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Ava found Paige waiting outside the gym with a bag strapped over her shoulder as she scrolled on her phone.

“Paige?”

Paige looked up from her phone and smiled. “Oh! hey Ava!”

Ava knitted her brows. “Why are you waiting out here? It’s so cold today.” At least Paige was wearing what looked like warm clothes. It was a cute outfit too, big fluffy jacket, some cute leggings and some thick boots on her feet. She certainly looked warm despite the cold air and harsh wind.

Paige’s smile faltered for a moment. “I… um… I was worried I’d look out of place in there.” She looked down at herself. “I don’t really look like the kind of person who belongs in a gym.”

Ava nodded, that was a common fear. “Don’t worry about it. Everyone’s gotta start somewhere.”

“Also y’know…” Paige lowered her voice. “Being trans makes things a lot more difficult too”.

“Oh.” Ava frowned. That was a good reason to be apprehensive. People were weird about trans folk, especially when it came to bath and locker rooms. “Don’t worry about it.” Ava reassured her. “If anyone gives you shit I can deal with them.”

“You’ll deal with them?” Paige snorted. “That sounds ominous. Are you my bodyguard now?”

“I mean I’ll talk to them, you dork.” She pulled the door handle and prompted Paige inside.

Paige gasped, feigning offense. “You wouldn’t beat someone up for me?” Paige batted her eyes and grinned playfully.

“Well… I–” Ava turned away. “I didn’t say that.

Paige stopped walking. “You’d fight someone for me!?”

“If someone was trying to hurt you I wouldn’t just let them. So yes. I’d fight someone for you.” Ava felt her face redden at how pathetically gay she sounded. “Because you’re my friend,” she added, just to be safe.

The gym was mostly empty. Not many people want to work out so late into the fall. The only people who ever showed up were super dedicated gym rats or people like Ava who stick to their pre-established schedules… and Paige, apparently.

After purchasing a day pass–Paige wanted to be sure that she was going to make this a regular activity before committing to a long-term membership–and getting dressed, the two were ready to begin their workout.

“So,” Ava drew Paige’s attention. “I don’t know what exactly you want out of exercising. but we should probably start with some basic stretches.”

Paige nodded along as Ava gave a demonstration for her first stretch, bending down and touching her toes, prompting for Paige to mimic the action.

Paige tried her best, but she didn’t quite match the pose perfectly. Her feet were too close to each other and she was still bending her knees, along with a few other minor issues with her form.

“You need to straighten your legs.” 

Paige turned her head upward and frowned. “But I won’t be able to touch my toes?”

“That’s fine. Touching your toes isn’t the important part. It’s about stretching your legs and back.” Ava pursed her lips as Paige failed to do the stretch correctly. “Can I touch you?”

“Uh… sure?”

“Just to help you out,” Ava clarified. “With your positioning.”

“Oh! Yes! Please help me do it right!”

Ava took a deep breath, readying herself. It was just to help her! There was nothing more to it, she was just helping Paige get into shape, that was it.

“Actually… move your feet apart a bit more first.”

Paige readjusted her feet, a little further apart than they were before. “Like this?”

“Much better! Now let me just–” Ava knelt down next to Paige and used her hands to gently straighten out her legs and push Paige’s back down into the correct position. “There you go! Now hold it like that for ten seconds and we can move on to the next set of stretches”

“Sounds good to me!” Paige held the pose and counted to ten aloud before standing upright and exhaling. “Phew, wow yeah I can feel that in my calves.”

Ava chuckled softly, “That means it’s working.”

Paige was halfway through the stretches that Ava had planned for her when a familiar voice called out from behind her. “Ava!”

Ava whirled around to see Danielle approaching her and Paige.

Paige looked up from the floor where she had been sitting for her stretches. “You know Ava?” She asked.

Danielle smiled as Paige picked herself up off the floor. “We met a few weeks back, at a party.”

“You went to a party?” Paige’s mouth fell open as she turned to Ava. “And you didn’t bring me with you?” She scowled at Ava. Ava nearly began apologizing profusely until she saw a playful glint in Paige’s eyes. She was just teasing.

Ava sighed, but still felt the need to explain herself. “It was the party that Ryan asked me to help set up.” She averted her eyes, suddenly embarrassed with herself. “I got distracted and accidentally stayed instead of going home.”

“Ava.” Paige sighed and buried her face in her palm. “Ava. Please.” She sounded exasperated. “Did you really help organize a party that you didn’t plan to attend?

“…Yes?” Ava squeaked. “Ryan asked for help, so I did”

“Ava. He was inviting you!” She groaned. “Whatever.” Paige turned a cheery smile to Danielle. “Hi, I’m Paige!”

A look of recognition sparked in Danielle’s eyes upon hearing Paige’s name. “Hi Paige, I’m Danielle” She flashed a subtle grin at Ava. “This is such a cute little date~”

Ava’s heart dropped. Danielle was teasing her. She knew Ava’s biggest secret and she was using it against her.

Ava scowled at her with as much fiery wrath as she could. Danielle didn’t even blink.

“Oh, No. We’re not dating.” Paige laughed. “Ava’s just helping me get into shape!”

Danielle raised an eyebrow at Ava. “Oh? Is that so?” She tilted her head and chuckled. “My mistake, sorry~

“It’s no problem.” Paige eyed Ava. “Right Ava?”

“Right.” Ava said, trying not to give away her frustration. She didn’t manage to mask the death glare. “It’s fine”

“A shame, really,” Danielle scoffed. “You two would make an adorable couple.”

“Thanks?” Paige’s response sounded more like a question than anything else.

Ava opened her mouth to speak but Danielle’s phone buzzed in her pocket before she could get a word out.

“Oh! It looks like my trainer is here!” Danielle’s mischievous look faded into a genuine smile. “I’ll see you girls later~” She turned on her heel and walked away without another word.

Paige and Ava both looked at each other in a baffled silence.

“Is… Is she always like that?” Paige asked, whispering despite Danielle being far out of earshot.

“As far as I can tell? Yes.” She cracked a smile. “You wanna continue where we left off?”

“Absolutely!” Paige chirped, tilting her head upward to lock eyes with Ava. “What’s the next warm-up?”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

By the end of the day Paige looked extremely exhausted, as well as extremely satisfied with herself. She deserved to be; she’d put in a lot of energy and the sweat on her brow proved how hard she was trying. They just needed a quick shower to rinse off the effort of the day before they could leave the gym. Paige was more than a little hesitant to use the public showers, but Ava assured her that it would be fine.

It was, mostly.

Ava managed to spot a woman giving Paige a nasty look as she pulled her shower curtain closed behind her. She had clocked Paige and was far less than pleased. Ava flashed her a vicious glare which was all it took to get the bitch to fuck off and scurry away with her tail so far between her legs she could have used it to dry her boob sweat. Ava just hoped that Paige hadn’t seen the way she’d looked at her. She was doing the best she could to make sure Paige felt safe, she clearly wanted to at least exercise a little bit and Ava needed to make sure that she had a good first exposure.

“Phew!” Paige puffed happily as she stepped out from the shower. “You didn’t mention how good that shower would feel!”

“Feels amazing right? All the soreness from the day getting washed away.” Ava slung her bag over her shoulder as she handed Paige her own. Ava chuckled. “Just wait until tomorrow.” Ava opened the door for Paige.

“Why?” Paige stepped through the doorway and her face twisted into a worried frown. “What happens tomorrow?”

“You’re going to be so sore.” Ava led Paige out of the gym.

“Oh. Great.” Paige said, her lips slightly curved downward. “I look forward to it.”

“I’m kidding, it won’t be that bad”

“I sure hope not, I have work tomorrow!” Paige huffed. “If I can’t move and get fired I’m crashing on your couch until I get a new job!” She threatened with an accusatory finger.

The first thought that popped into Ava’s head was something along the lines of “Don’t threaten me with a good time.” but unlike when Ava had met Danielle, she was not inebriated, and managed to stop herself from vocalizing the intrusive thought.

After biting her tongue for a few seconds, Ava managed to say something reasonable. “Well of course,” she scoffed. “I wouldn’t let you become homeless.”

“Good” Paige huffed, crossing her arms over her torso with a smug smile plastered on her face. “Because It’d be your fault.”

“I’d be more than happy to take responsibility for you~” Ava’s eyes went wide upon hearing her own flirty tone. She couldn’t help that one. It just spilled out of her lips before she could stop it. Ava suppressed the blush that threatened to color her cheeks. Being visibly embarrassed would make it obvious that her flirting was genuine and not just friendly banter.

A baffled expression washed over Paige’s face before bursting into a fit of laughter. “Okay, you dork. Why don’t you walk me home then too?”

Ava’s fake smile faltered. She wasn’t a good enough actor to keep the lights in her eyes on. Paige hardly even hesitated, it really was just a joke to her.

Ava made up a weak excuse and walked home alone.

She's back to terrorize Ava!

25