4. Princess Karla is a Riot
77 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When a child turns ten or beyond they must partake in the ceremony, the ceremony itself is simple; they merely need to touch an artifact and then it will grant power to them. However, a predicament arises when each and every child within the empire is required to partake in the ceremony. Given that the empire is expansive and its populace dispersed, utilizing only one artifact for this purpose poses a challenge.

To ensure that every child is awakened, the location in which the ceremony is held changes every year. The frontier, the western region, the southeast region, and the northeast region; the ceremony is held in populations centers of these locations alternately. This year it is held in the western region, more specifically in the capital city of Rustata.

“It is time, princess,” Sarah said as she knocked on the door.

“Did the letters get delivered?” Karla's motion's a servant to open the door.

“Yes,” Sarah said as she entered the wardrobe.

“Good. Tell me, what do you think?” Karla said while twirling her dress.

“My! You are so lovely, princess” Sarah said, clapping her hands.

“He-he, is that so?” Karla smiled bashfully.

She was wearing a deep blue chiffon dress, the dress is supported by the neck and flows down elegantly leaving her shoulders exposed but fully covering her neckline and chest. Fabrics made to look like bird feathers decorated the midsection part of her dress, providing a graceful and flowery feel. Her arms are completely exposed like her shoulders with no decoration.

The skirt consists of two layers, the inner part is white and very loose which brings comfort while the outer part is light in weight and heavily embroidered in vines pattern. There is a slit on the right side which exposes the inner skirt. 

The waist is slim with a belt of pearls. But it's not restricting when Karla moves around, this is why She loves this dress so much. The light fabric, her exposed arms and shoulders with no additional ornaments, the loose skirt, and the fact that she wears formal shoes instead of heels or stilettos; it's making the dress very easy to move in.

“I have nothing but praise for Madame Chen,” Karla finds the dress very enjoyable to wear.

“Indeed, but something is missing,” Sarah said while contemplating.

“What is it? I'm certain we put on everything as instructed,” Anna frowns.

“No, not that. I feel like we can improve something about the image…ah, that's it” Sarah went and took a box that was sitting on the corner of the wardrobe.

“Your hair princess!” Sarah said excitedly.

“My hair?”

Karla strokes her hair. Unlike her two beautiful sisters who possess platinum blonde hair with a silvery glow, hers is just plain white and grayish hair, like a grandma. Her siblings used to mock her in the past, calling her an old woman.

“Yes, it is missing an ornament,” Sarah said as she revealed the box.

Inside is a hair ornament made of sapphire and silver. At the center is a beautifully crafted blue rose.

“This Rose…” Karla ponders while looking at a particular banner above her bed.

“Yes, this is the symbol of the imperial family. Your father gives this to your mother as a wedding gift. She wore this to her wedding.”

“Strange, why the imperial family's crest?”

“I guess the emperor wants to make it clear that she belongs to him?” Anna suggests.

“How romantic!” The servants gasp.

“That is clearly not the case” Karla can't imagine her father being a romantic.

Sarah took the hairpiece and fixed it to Karla's hair before taking a step back. The moment she did, she instantly started crying.

“Oh, you look just like your mother. If only she is alive to see you now-”

“Now, now sister. We are going to be late.”

“Ah, the ceremony! The Emperor is attending, so we can't be late.” Sarah wipes her tears.

Before they leave her chambers, Karla sneaks a peek at herself in the mirror; except for the eyes, she undoubtedly looks like her mother's portrait. She feels no particular sadness, just curiosity.

The Grand Assembly Park lies in proximity to the palace complex, yet Karla must still rely on a carriage for transportation despite her willingness to walk the short distance. Throughout the journey, Karla's gaze repeatedly shifts towards Sarah, who sits beside her; she can feel emotions of genuine sorrow and remorse emanate from Sarah.

The coachman stops the carriage, it seems they have arrived.

The grand assembly park is the place used most often for mass gatherings, formal and informal alike. When it is not used, it frequently becomes a playground for the local children, old retirees and anyone looking for a relaxing time. As long as they don't damage the facilities and plants, people can use this park however they like.

“Princess, please greet the masses,” Sarah said before unlocking the carriage window. “This is your first public appearance, so please leave a favorable impression for them.”

“Right, I forget this is a public event,” Karla said.

“Ready milady?” Anna said, her hand on the window.

“Sure” Not at all, Karla never did prepare her speech.

What greets them on the other side of the window is a crowd of people looking on in wonder.

From the carriage, the people can tell there is a member of the imperial family inside. With bated breath, they watch a young girl adorning a beautiful blue dress. Her smile is mischievous and daring.

“Hello, everybody,” Karla said with a grin. Meanwhile, Sarah had to stop herself from facepalming.

Karla waved at the crowd, they cheered and waved back to her. Karla's appearance is unfamiliar, however, her attendance at the ceremony suggests that she is Princess Karla — a princess who has yet to make a public appearance.

Compared to her sisters, who are the embodiment of beauty and grace, the masses think Karla looks normal. Other than the unusual black eyes that were the heritage of the imperial family, that is. However, as she waved her hand, the crowd reciprocated with a wave of their own and upon witnessing her radiant smile, they erupted in cheers. There is an alluring quality to this princess that captivates them; it's akin to a playful childhood friend whom they've always longed for.

“Glory to the empire!” The crowd started to chant.

“No, no, it should be 'good luck on the ceremony' I'm not going to war here ladies and gentlemen” the crowd laughs as Karla jest while maintaining her smile.

“Hey, how much longer do I have to keep waving and smiling? My cheeks are starting to sore.” Karla murmured to the people in the carriage.

“You must convey something to the people before we can move on,” Sarah explained.

“I already did?”

“That was just a greeting, princess.”

“In that case, what should I say?”

“Your eldest sister Lady Catherine recited a poem, and your youngest sibling Lady Nataly performed the national anthem during their first public appearance.”

“Then anything goes?” Karla asks, a terrible idea brewing in her mind.

“Please don't do any-”

“Heed me, my people! I have just one thing to speak of” Karla beamed an innocent smile, to most this looks like her natural smile, but the two people in the carriage know her normal smile is that mischievous grin from earlier.

In fact, this innocent smile is her mischievous face. The smile that all servants in the imperial palace dreads.

“My people, thank you! Bless you, for paying your taxes!”

There are hundreds of people seeing her right now in silence, too shocked to even close their mouths.

“Without the help of you people, I will not come here in a fancy carriage like this. Therefore, please keep diligently paying your taxes!”

“…” The two people in the carriage know they will be reprimanded later.

“…” Karla waits to see what result she will achieve.

“…” The people simply did not know what to do. Taxes are an extremely sensitive topic, after all.

“…” The knights surrounding the carriage silently prepared themselves for a riot.

“Hahaha” no one knows who laughs at first but after that, a tidal wave of laughter ensues.

Karla can sense a broad layer of desperation and relief. The crowd roared with laughter with such energy as if trying to dispel the previous murky atmosphere away.

“HAHAHA”

Sarah signals the coachman to go. Karla keeps on smiling and waving as the carriage rolls through the crowd. Midst the laughter, Karla sighed in disappointment.

“That didn't go as I had planned” Karla rested her cheek on her palm.

“What were you thinking, princess? Sarah exclaims, “just a month ago it was declared taxes will be raised again, do you know how the people must've felt right now?”

“I'm well aware,” Karla said as she averted her gaze, trying to ignore the lecture.

Simultaneously, the crowd is perplexed about what had exactly happened a moment ago. They can’t believe that a member of the imperial family dared to say something like that in front of this many people; not after that big protest when the tax raise was announced. Some optimistic people thought it was a bad joke, but the grim faces around them told otherwise. They shiver; if the one who says that is not the princess, a riot would definitely be likely.

After all, the princess's only ten years old, she's just an innocent and sheltered child who doesn't know how the world works. She must be genuinely grateful for the people paying their taxes without knowing how difficult it is for the average person.

The people recall that seemingly innocent smile that the princess had when she said that, and become convinced that she means no harm. 

there's a reason for the crowd's reaction, but it will not be revealed for a long time.

See ya next week!

4