5. The Awakening Ceremony
85 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took a full ten minutes for their carriage to arrive at the grand amphitheater where the ceremony was scheduled to take place. The throngs of people had made it difficult to navigate through the crowd, and the cumbersome size of their carriage only added to this challenge. Once Karla finally stepped out from within its confines, she was greeted by an impressive sight: two rows of knights standing in formation on either side of a meticulously secured pathway that led directly towards her.

The surrounding crowd looks on with great interest as Karla walks into the amphitheater. She also occasionally waves and smiles at the small children riding on their parent's shoulders. Right now, Karla is the perfect image of a princess.

“It's hard to believe you can act like this after what just happened a moment ago,” Anna said as they went inside.

“Shush! Don't remind her! She finally acts properly as a princess now. "

“Hahaha, I can do the part just fine! I just don't enjoy doing it,” Karla said with a sly grin.

“But why?” Sarah asked, concerned.

“Because it's worthless, the way you bow, the way you eat, the way you walk and other menial things; after a level of decency such things are useless,”

“As long as you're not acting like a caveman, it's fine,” Karla said this in a clear tone. “The most important thing is your capability, wealth, and position., what you can offer to other people. Those things define high society, not etiquette, not morals, and most definitely not virtue. What use are manners when someone poisoned my drink? What is the virtue of bribing an official just so I can ensure my safety?”

“Princess” Sarah choked. Karla sounds so bitter. Sarah never saw her like this.

Karla settled into a secluded spot within the VIP section, as she was not permitted to occupy space among the “lower class”. After taking her seat, Karla turned to Sarah, who remained mute and stood behind her.

“I can recognize that your feelings toward me are genuine. But, if you have my well-being at heart, don't wish me to be a princess,” Karla lazily watches as the priest and officials move about, preparing for the ceremony. To others, she seems like a bored child.

The ceremony itself already begins in the morning, but that was for the common people. Since every child from all social status must attend, naturally there is a schedule for each social class. People with low status, such as a serf, will show up at dawn, while those with higher status will show up later in the evening. The later you show up, the higher your status is.

This makes Karla the last one, which adds salt to the wound.

“I've been wondering…but is it always this crowded? They do realize it will be just some children touching an artifact and reading what's written in it?”

“If you put it that way, that does sound boring,” Anna said while glancing at Sarah, who was still silent.  

The priest and officials have lined up. With a nod from a priest, an official Karla assumes to be the master of the ceremony gave an introductory speech.

The Speech was lengthy, as it encompassed a comprehensive explanation of the awakening ceremony's history and purpose. How the first king was granted this artifact by the gods for his deeds in protecting the people. How the ceremony helped with protecting the empire from foreign invaders by making sure its people are healthy and talented. Finally, it ended with a formal greeting to Karla and her father, the Emperor.

Karla can feel her throat drying as every gaze in the stadium flickered towards her. She responds with a little wave and a smile. Meanwhile, the master of ceremony continues his speech.

“Sons and daughters of the Empire. We will now bring the artifact and finally begin the awakening. Please walk onto the stage when your name is called, along with a guardian of your choosing. "

A priest brings forward a golden box, while another carries a thin wooden podium similar to that used for a lecture. After they have set the podium down, the priest with the golden box presents the box to the master of ceremony. He then carefully opens the box and takes what's inside.

People in the amphitheater lean forward, eager to bear witness to the sacred artifact. Even Karla can't help but be excited.

The item he brandished was a rectangular object of book size, appearing to be composed of glass as its surface reflected the setting sun. Karla found it intriguing, as it did not resemble what she had envisioned a sacred artifact to look like. It lacked any divine radiance and did not appear to be bestowed by the gods. To put it bluntly, it was a dark glass tile. 

The crowd in the amphitheater are buzzing with excitement. Some had already seen it before, so they are not surprised. But those who saw it for the first time, like Karla, had expressed puzzlement over the supposedly sacred piece of glass.

The master of ceremony places the artifact on the podium, he then opens a book from his robe and begins reciting names.

“Yarvin, Gregory. Son of Baron Yarvin,”

A muscular boy stands up, along with whom Karla assumes his father. They both wear light armor as a formal outfit, making them look like sun warriors with the light of dusk illuminating them from behind. They walk with a strong, confident gait, eyes forward, shoulder straight.

“Ah… Margrave Argentine's favorite knight,”

“That must be his son, then? Hmm… a fitting successor, from the look of him. "

“Strange, isn't he sixteen now?”

“Baron Yarvin often took him on campaigns and patrols, so…”

Karla passively listens to the chatter of the nobles, storing that information into an imaginary box in the back of her mind.

The father-son duo arrived at the podium and exchanged pleasantries. The master of ceremonies then gestured towards the podium, signaling for them to hasten with the awakening ceremony.

Baron Yarvin grips his son's shoulder tight before nodding firmly, an encouragement for someone of few words. Gregory took a deep breath before walking confidently toward the podium.

“Look at him, even the most educated children will walk like chickens. But he acts like this is nothing to him. "

“He experienced real battles before. This is nothing to him. "

Most people had a similar impression, except Karla, who can clearly see the boy's deep sense of dread.

Gregory stands atop the podium, gazing intently upon the obsidian glass that shall shape his destiny. With resolve, he places his right hand upon its sleek and slightly warm surface. In a mere moment's time, words materialize on the glass before him.

Gregory looked at the master of ceremony, who nods. 

“Read it, child,”

Gregory swallows his saliva before reading: 

“Awakening completed, the individual had been blessed with basic protection. "

“The individual also gained the following…”

“Combat Mastery,”

“Spear Profiency,”

“Athletic Talent,”

"Sword Profiency"

“Charisma Talent,”

"Shield Profiency

“General Talent,”

Gregory looks up, “that is all. "

“You have quite the excellent son, Baron Yarvin,” said the master of ceremony.

“He is my greatest pride. "

Karla can sense pure joy and relief from Gregory.

So that's why he is feeling dread before, he's afraid of disappointing his father. Karla smiles as she stores that information in her imaginary box. Gregory walks away as the master of ceremony calls out more names.

“Looks like we are late,” Karla heard a rough voice coming from behind.

“Relax Viscount, you are too important to be late,” Karla said without turning her head. She knows the speaker well.

Behind her stood a dwarf, with a mustache stretching down to his belly. He wore baggy, luxurious clothes that barely concealed his muscled body.

“Ha ha… thank you, princess,” Viscount Rivermaw scratched his hair in embarrassment.

Karla gestured towards the seat next to her, granting permission for Viscount Rivermaw to occupy it. Despite his height being only slightly greater than Karla's, the creaking of the seat under his weight was evident.

“You seem nervous, Lize.” Karla said with a grin toward the girl beside Viscount Rivermaw.

“Yes, I didn't expect this many people would watch,” she said while bowing.

“My daughter, this crowd is not here for you. It is the princess who should be nervous,” said Viscount Rivermaw while laughing loudly.

“Damn you, Viscount. Now I'm nervous,” Karla said with a wry smile.

The small assembly is arousing considerable attention from the neighboring aristocrats. Many individuals are bewildered and outraged that a mere viscount would audaciously occupy a seat next to a member of the Imperial Family. Certain nobles even scorn the princess for permitting such an occurrence.

“It seems the rumors are true after all, the princess is crude and lacking common sense. "

“She really let a demi human sit next to her?”

“No wonder she never takes part in any formal event. The Emperor must've been too embarrassed to let her appear in public. "

“Also, did you know? Apparently, she said some outrageous things to the peasantry earlier…”

Of course, these nobles speak in low voices, so Karla can't hear them. But even if she did, she would think nothing of it.

Viscount Rivermaw gives her a look of concern. He only wanted to greet the princess out of courtesy, but never expected that she would invite him to sit.

Of course, he is not allowed to refuse such an invitation.

“Is this okay, princess? This is the first time we meet openly. Others won't look at you fondly for being intimate to someone of a lesser race…”

“What are you talking about, Viscount!? Is it not written in our constitution that all races are equal? Why, our ancestors surely will cry in their graves if their descendants become racist fools who delude themselves,” she said loudly, almost shouting.

Most people frown when they hear that. Some chuckle in amusement. They are realizing the princess's disposition.

Viscount Rivermaw feels uncomfortable with all the attention he received but also touched that the princess is defending him, it seems that he is not mistaken for aligning himself with her.

“Wow, you are so cool and brave,” Lize said with sparkly eyes. To her, the princess is a perfect role model.

“I don't know about being cool. I actually act childish sometimes” Karla looks away. Every time Lize gaze at her with respect and admiration, Karla always feels like a massive pit opened in her chest. 

“Speaking of… Viscount, your son took part before, right? How does this awakening work exactly? They never tell me anything.”

“Hmm? Your parents should have…ah right,” Viscount Rivermaw faltered when Karla gave him a look that said 'you seriously saying that to me'

“Well, to roughly explain…” Viscount Rivermaw explains.

 

Finally, we reach the awakening ceremony… originally it was planned to be in chapter 3, but it took a lot longer than expected.

This first arc is named “The Awakening Arc” so yeah this entire process is pretty important.

How long this arc is? I hope it will be finished in 20 chapters.

5