6. Facing the Tyrant
83 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The artifact is a tool that gives blessings to anyone that touches it,” Viscount Rivermaw explains.

“Only a handful of individuals are aware of the item's origin and how the empire came to possess it, with the emperor being the sole known person.”

“So all that talk about the artifact being a gift from the gods was all propaganda?” Karla asks, intrigued.

“Of course, the official statement was a blessing. But nobody is sure what the artifact does. All we know is anyone who touches it becomes somewhat resistant to diseases and will gain a healthy body“

“How resistant?” Karla asks.

“Most people who are ‘blessed’ never had a cold in their entire life. To them, a deadly illness like pneumonia feels like a normal cold and not life-threatening at all”

“That…” shocked Karla. Now it makes sense why it is legally required for everyone to receive a blessing. Doing that makes the entire empire resistant to disease and plagues.

Karla is an avid reader, and history is her favorite subject. Throughout history, exist countless tales depicting the downfall of once-magnificent kingdoms, their streets once bustling with life reduced to eerie silence brought on by a devastating plague. By having the artifact, that kind of calamity will not happen to the empire at all. What a miraculous item!

“But that’s not all, is it?” Karla asks.

Sure, having not to worry about plagues is great, but that is not what most people pay attention to.

“Sometimes, though, it happens more frequently to noble children; the artifact grants extra blessings”

“The abilities, right?”

“That is just one form of the blessings, a rare one at that,” Viscount Rivermaw points toward the podium, where a girl stands.

“Theatrical Proficiency”

“Musical Talent”

“Dance Mastery”

“That is all.” The girl looks up, a proud smile on her face. Her mother pats her head.

“That is the other form of blessing from the artifact, we call them gifts,” Viscount Rivermaw explained.

“Very common. Noble children will get at least one gift. And these gifts vary in quality.”

“And that would be the word at the end of the gift, right?” This whole ceremony was a lot more profound than Karla thought it would be.

“Yes, Talent, Proficiency, and Mastery. With mastery being the highest quality”.

“I see. Thank you, Viscount”.

Karla grins while her hand secretly withdraws a letter from her dress.

“One more question for me, Viscount,” Karla said, slipping the letter into his pocket.

“How rare is it for someone to gain an ability? And will it be as amazing as my brother Lucius’s?”

“Unlike gifts, abilities are very rare. It only happens once every few years, and even rarer for that ability to be that powerful. What happens to your brother is a miracle. I think other than your brother, only two other people have gained a comparable ability in my lifetime”.

Viscount Rivermaw nodded, subtly acknowledging the weight of the letter tucked inside his pocket.

The rest of their discussion proves to be unremarkable, primarily focusing on commercial affairs and commerce. Karla predominantly assumes a passive role in the discussion, attentively absorbing Viscount Rivermaw’s remarks and only interjecting when necessary.

Viscount Rivermaw inquires about the recent tax hike, questioning the timing of such an increase. Detailing the imminent invasion by the Holy Peruvia Kingdom, Karla explains why the tax raise is necessary.

“Those crazy bastards and their never-ending crusades” He muttered under his breath, the news apparently upset him.

As they were furthering their conversation, the master of the ceremony, who recite his daughter’s name, abruptly interrupted it.

“Rivermaw, Lize” Lize almost jumps out of her seat when her name is called.

“Well, I guess this is where we part ways, princess,” said Viscount Rivermaw.

“Good luck,” Karla said to Lize.

“Thank you, princess.” Lize nodded meekly.

She then went down to the center of the amphitheater, along with her father.

Karla watches as Lize approaches the podium, her legs trembling like a newborn goat. Karla smiles. She’s nervous too; but not for the same reason as Lize. She’s not afraid of having useless gifts or abilities. Quite the opposite, really. She’s afraid she will become the fourth person to gain a powerful ability in Viscount Rivermaw's lifetime.

“Say, Sarah. Did father attend the awakening ceremonies of his other children other than Lucius or me?”

Sarah, who is still in a daze, widens her eyes in surprise, “Never, he only attends yours and Lucius’ so far”

I thought so, Karla thought. He had six children and he only attended one in the past? And it just so happens something akin to a miracle happens.

There’s no denying it, the chances of Karla gaining a powerful ability are very high.

“Princess, it seems someone wants to talk to you,” said Anna.

A man approaches her silently. Karla knows he is one of her father’s retainers.

“My father calls for me?” Karla asks before the man speaks.

The man bows lightly, “His majesty request for you to sit by his side, Princess”

Karla stood without answering. She knows it’s not a request. Karla allowed the man to lead her to where the emperor was, preparing herself mentally along the way.

Eventually, they arrived at a raised platform separated from the other seats in the amphitheater. When Karla’s about to take the stairs, the man stops and says the emperor wants to meet her alone.

Sarah and Anna protest, but the emperor’s words are absolute. Karla orders them to wait for her in the carriage before making her way up the stairs. At the top, she sees two chairs made of mahogany; the emperor seated on the left side.

“Father” Karla bowed before seating.

The emperor silently watches the ceremony while Karla settles herself on the chair. They exchange no words between them for minutes until the emperor finally spoke.

“That was a good attempt,” said the emperor, glancing at Karla.

Karla can feel the cold sweat running down her back. Which one? Is it her attempt to leave the empire or…

“You were trying to incite a riot, weren’t you? So that the ceremony can’t take place.”

Karla fought hard to not let relief show on her face. So he was talking about her attempt during her first public appearance. ‘At least father did not know about my escape plan’, Karla thought.

“You must be confident in the capability of your knights. If a riot occurs, you would be a target too”.

“Are you angry, father?” Karla asks hesitantly.

“Yes, I am. I spent most of my time last month quelling resentment over the tax raise.” the Emperor looked directly at Karla, eyes so cold that it’s burning. Karla cowered under its darkness, she struggled to remain composed while all sorts of thoughts raced through her mind. Maybe she has gone too far this time? This is her first time seeing her father angry, she felt like her spirit might break from the pressure.

“I’m… I deeply apologize, father!” Karla bowed deeply, trembling in fear at the silent glare her father gave. She wished he would just shout or even hit her, anything to break the storm of tension.

The Emperor gently taps the armrest of his ornate chair, signaling for a servant to enter. In response, a servant swiftly appears, carrying two bottles and two glasses. With practiced precision, the servant deftly pours one glass with a rich red wine and the other with pure distilled water. Throughout this process, Karla remains steadfast in her position, without once lifting her gaze towards the commotion.

The servant immediately went away after, leaving Karla alone once more with the emperor. Her chest constricted as though being suffocated by a taut rope, while her back felt burdened, as if bearing a sack of flour. Five minutes passed. She remained motionless, with her head lowered.

The emperor sips his wine lightly, enjoying the ceremony below him. It was as if the figure of a girl trembling beside him didn’t exist. It was only after the next person’s name was called the emperor finally spoke.

“Most people would not think deeply about your actions and motivations. After all, you are only ten years old and sheltered your whole life”.

The emperor placed his palm on the back of Karla’s head, forcing her into a deeper bow. Her neck and back are stretched to their limit. Karla almost cried out in pain, but she managed to hold it in.

“But in this head lies a sharp mind, well beyond that of a ten-year-old child. Most people did not know this. They mistakenly thought of your schemes and actions as childish antics”.

“For all your life, you use your age as a shield. You use it to avoid scrutiny and responsibilities. In doing so, you've become complacent, you no longer think about the consequences of your actions,” The emperor takes his Hand away from Karla’s head.

“This will not happen again. From now on, I will treat you as an adult and punish you as one… you may sit now”.

Karla slumped back into the chair, her breath quick and irregular. Her physique quivered with agony from remaining in that posture for an extended period. She felt humiliated and exposed. Karla took a glass next to her, The lukewarm water feels like honey to her dry throat, the effect seems to calm her down.

“Let this be a lesson, that your actions have far-reaching repercussions.”

“Yes, father,” Karla replied, forcing a calm tone of voice. She can feel the air becoming thinner as the Emperor relax his pressure.

As the emperor’s gaze fell upon Karla, she summoned the strength to meet his stare head-on. It was a moment of intense scrutiny as two sets of dark eyes locked onto each other, each seeking to discern what lay hidden behind the other’s facade.

“Tell me, why do you fear power?” The emperor asks.

 

Editing this while listening to my friends playing lethal company (my PC broke) surprisingly effective as BGM.

Regarding the awakening “system” (it's not a system, but I'll just call it that for convenience) I will explain it in simple terms.

When awakened, people had a chance to gain 3 things :

  1. Basic Blessing which will improved general health (Stamina, disease resistance, mild strength increase, etc.), this will always happen to anyone.
  2. Gifts/Talents that will enhance their skills (as in real life skills, NOT RPG skills. Example = swordsmanship, painting and swimming), somewhat rare, but common among nobles for a reason that will be revealed later
  3. Abilities that are completely supernatural even by this world standards, Extremely rare and not all of them are OP

As always, see ya next week!

 

4