Ch166- Laws of Alchemy
351 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

discord.gg/q5KWmtQARF

Join my Discord!


As breakfast at Flamel's concluded, Harry felt a sense of anticipation building within him. The opportunity to learn from such legendary figures in the wizarding world was not something he took lightly.

Taking Harry into a study room that seemed lifted from an alchemist’s dream, Nicolas Flamel began the day's lessons with a grandeur that matched the legend of his name. The room was lined with shelves brimming with arcane artifacts and ancient scrolls. A large blackboard stood at the front, and various alchemical apparatuses were meticulously arranged around the room, each piece gleaming under the soft light filtering through the high windows.

"Alchemy, Harry, is not merely the transformation of matter," Nicolas started, his voice echoing slightly in the high-ceilinged room. "It is the understanding of the very fabric of magic and science, woven together through the ages. Today, we begin with the fundamentals."

Harry, notebook ready, listened intently as Flamel picked up a piece of chalk and sketched a simple diagram that illustrated the basic principles of alchemy.

"Alchemy straddles the line between what many call 'magic' and 'science,'" Flamel explained. "It is the ancient art of transforming matter, of perfecting substances. At its heart are principles that govern the natural world and our interaction with it."

Taking a deep breath, Nicolas Flamel wrote the first law of Alchemy on the blackboard, "Law of Equivalent Exchange," and began to explain with an assured clarity that made even such a complex principle seem approachable.

"This fundamental law," he started, his chalk smoothly sketching accompanying symbols, "posits that nothing can be gained without first giving something of equal value. In the realm of alchemy, it is not merely a philosophical guideline but a practical constraint that governs all our transformations."

Harry, quill poised above his notebook, wrote diligently, his mind racing to keep up with the implications. This law was the backbone of alchemical theory, reminiscent of the conservation laws in Muggle physics, yet imbued with a distinctly magical reasoning.

Flamel continued, "For example, if one wishes to create gold from lead, the alchemist must provide something of value equivalent to the difference in their inherent worth. This could be magical energy, additional materials, or even a piece of the alchemist’s own soul, though I would not recommend the latter."

Harry nodded, understanding dawning. It wasn't just about swapping one thing for another; it was about maintaining a cosmic balance that mirrored the natural laws he'd learned about in Muggle science classes.

Flamel then moved to the next point, writing "Law of Material Consistency" on the board. "This law dictates that we must respect the material's fundamental nature. We cannot create or destroy elements; we can only transform them using what is already present."

This law made Harry think of Transfiguration at Hogwarts, where Professor McGonagall often reminded them that transformation was not creation out of nothingness.

"Take, for instance, the transformation of water into wine," Flamel illustrated as he drew diagrams of molecular structures that changed form. "We are not creating wine ex nihilo; we are rearranging the water’s molecular structure and supplementing it with necessary compounds present in the environment or provided by the alchemist."

Harry scribbled down every word, his brain furiously making connections between this and what he knew of potions and spells.

As they progressed to the "Law of Transmutation Limit," Flamel’s tone took on a sobering timbre. "Alchemy is powerful but not omnipotent. It is bound by the same laws that govern magic itself. We cannot create life, nor can we restore it."

This was a stark reminder of the limitations of magic, a topic often glossed over in Magical Community.

"The creation of homunculi, as you might have read, is possible," Flamel noted, seeing Harry's intrigued yet slightly horrified expression. "However, these creatures are not truly alive; they mimic life through a complex simulation of biological processes."

The discussion of homunculi, while fascinating, chilled Harry slightly; the ethical ramifications were vast and murky.

Moving on, Flamel introduced the "Law of Alchemical Balance," emphasizing the need for equilibrium in all processes. "Just as in nature, where there is no action without reaction, alchemy demands a balance. An alchemist must take great care not to tip this balance, lest the consequences become... unpredictable."

This reminded Harry of the delicate balance within ecosystems he’d studied in biology; disrupting one component often had cascading effects.

"And finally," Flamel concluded with the "Law of Sacrifice and Gain"  "this law remind us that alchemical transformation is not just a physical process but a spiritual one. The intent of the alchemist and the knowledge at their disposal directly influence the outcome. Missteps in intent or ignorance of material properties can lead to disastrous results."

Writing the final law, "Law of Intent and Knowledge," on the blackboard, Nicolas Flamel tapped at it three times, turning to Harry with a look of serious contemplation. "This final law is often overlooked by the magical community, yet it is crucial," he explained, fixing Harry with a steady gaze. "Are you familiar with Muggle electronic games, Harry?"

Harry nodded, somewhat surprised that Nicolas Flamel would know about them, but then he remembered that Alchemy, much like science, often paralleled technological advancements. "Yes, I've heard of them," he replied, intrigued by where this comparison was headed.

"In those RPG games, wizards and magical characters have a 'wisdom' stat which significantly affects their abilities," Flamel continued. "That's a simplified way to understand this law: the 'Law of Intent and Knowledge.' Just as wisdom in those games affects how effectively a character can cast spells or brew potions, in Alchemy, your knowledge and intent—your understanding of the processes and your focus—greatly influence the outcome."

Flamel paused to let Harry absorb the analogy, then added, "I assure you, knowledge, wisdom, the information you store in your mind—they're not weightless. They have a profound impact on the success of Alchemical operations."

Harry scribbled down notes as Flamel expounded on the law. "Think of knowledge as a tool. The more refined the tool, the finer the work it can perform. Alchemy isn't just about following recipes or using the right ingredients. It's about understanding the 'why' behind each step, predicting how different substances will interact based on their properties, and using that knowledge to manipulate the outcome."

"Your intent, or the focus with which you approach the Alchemy, also plays a critical role. It's about more than just wanting to succeed; it's about fully committing to the process, understanding what each step entails and being mentally prepared for the reactions, both expected and unexpected."

Flamel moved away from the blackboard to a table that displayed various alchemical instruments and substances. "Let's put this into practice. We'll start with a simple application," he said, picking up a small vial filled with a silvery liquid.

Harry watched intently as Flamel placed the vial on the table. "We’ll begin with the four classical elements: fire, water, air, and earth. These are the foundation of alchemy and many forms of magic," Flamel explained as he arranged four distinct bottles in front of him, each labeled accordingly.

"First, let's sense the elements," Flamel continued, uncorking the bottle labeled 'Earth'. He sprinkled the contents—a handful of rich, dark soil—onto a clear plate. "Put your hand over the soil and feel its essence."

Harry hesitated for a moment before extending his hand. He felt a cool, grounding energy pulsing from the soil. It was a strange, almost calming sensation that made him think of the Herbology classes at Hogwarts.

"Good," Flamel noted, observing Harry's concentrated expression. "Now, try with the other elements."

Harry moved his hand over the water, feeling a fluid, adaptable energy, then over the air, feeling a slight, ticklish buzz, and finally over the fire, which sent a warm, lively tingle up his arm.

"Understanding these energies is crucial. They are not just materials, but symbols of deeper principles," Flamel said, his voice deep with the resonance of wisdom. "Alchemy is about balance and transformation, using these principles."

--

Please rate and review! Much appreciated! Leave a comment, tell me what you think!


To Read up to 50 advance Chapters (25 for each novel) and suppot me...

patreon.com/thefanficgod1

Please drop a comment and like the chapter!

20