Chapter 10: Family
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Xue-er,” Luo Bingyu hurriedly approached Luo Xue, checking her from head to toe. To his relief, he saw her unharmed. She seemed to be in much better shape than before, and the weight on his heart was finally lifted.

Luo Bingyu gently smiled. “I’m glad to see that you’re fine. Did something happen? Why didn’t you come out from the portal?”

As Luo Bingyu asked, he wasn’t the only one who noticed Luo Xue’s sudden appearance came from the opposite direction of the portal. With one entrance to the realm, it was impossible for anyone to appear anywhere else. Did she forfeit her punishment without their knowledge?

But Luo Bingyu had a vague feeling that the current Luo Xue wasn’t the type to do so.

As he expected, Luo Xue said, “I must admit, I do not know. Once my six-month punishment was over, I left the portal, only to find myself in a city known as Central Dragon City, which is located two days away from here.”

However, Sun Yi instantly refuted her words as if it were utter nonsense.

“Preposterous!” Sun Yi said. “There is no other entrance to this realm except this portal. Who are you trying to deceive?”

Being falsely accused, Luo Xue was amused.

“No one. I’m speaking the truth, but… you won’t acknowledge it.”

Observing Sun Yi, he seemed just as clueless as everyone else. Nothing about him hinted he was acting. Since the vocal critic of hers wasn’t the one acting against her, who else could be responsible?

Was it… her?

Luo Xue’s gaze fell on Hua Yang, who nonchalantly returned her look without any signs of discomfort. Hua Yang was calm, much too calm. Yet, that calmness wasn’t a reason for her to raise suspicion. Although no words were spoken between them, they both shared an understanding that she had nothing to do with it.

Luo Xue’s eyes narrowed, her smile not reaching the corners of her eyes. If neither of them was the culprit, who would it be? Who would plot against her?

While Luo Bingyu was taking her words into consideration, Sun Yi, who couldn’t be more offended by her smile, was on the verge of losing his temper. He sneered, “Truth? Not a single day went by without you causing trouble for everyone. Your repeated acts of hypocrisy and dishonesty have brought dishonour to the sect, and while you may not be bothered by it, it certainly embarrasses me on your behalf. Leave before you make a fool out of yourself again!”

Everyone could hear the sharpness in those words. If words had the ability to kill, Luo Xue would have been stabbed all over.

But instead of getting upset, Luo Xue laughed. “That’s not for you to decide.”

“Fool! With my authority, you will be—”

“Elder Sun, did you forget something?”

Luo Xue sighed. “I’m here to assume my position as the future peak master of Formless Spring peak.”

As soon as she finished her sentence, everyone was dumbfounded before coming back to their senses. After months of her absence, they gradually lost sight of the reasons behind her punishment. One of the reasons was to appease Hua Yang’s fury, and the other was to establish her as the future peak master if she survived.

“Absolutely not! I do not agree!” Sun Yi yelled.

“I survived, did I not?” Luo Xue continued, “Or do you mean to say your words are above our sect master’s orders?”

Although Luo Xue was still smiling, her eyes revealed a hint of coldness.

Sun Yi was briefly startled before he fell silent, struggling to find his words. Unable to deny her accusation, he gnashed his teeth in frustration.

Luo Bingyu looked at the two of them before shaking his head. With a tired expression, he sighed. Having confirmed Luo Xue’s safety, he no longer had any interest to stay and witness their argument. Regardless of whoever’s words, there was no denying the fact that Luo Xue returned alive meant she was qualified to succeed the role of a peak master. Though her unusual arrival warranted an investigation…

Siding with Luo Xue, Luo Bingyu said, “With Luo Xue’s safe return, one week from now will be the perfect time to hold a welcoming ceremony for our newest master of the Formless Spring peak. Everyone is expected to attend.”

Following his words, Luo Bingyu disregarded the surprised expressions of those present and swiftly mounted his crane. He glanced at Luo Xue, silently urging her to follow him back.

Amid the heavy silence, Cai Ling suddenly said, “Even if you, Junior Xue, made it out alive, it is still necessary for us to investigate your claim before making a decision. We cannot trust your words alone without any evidence, especially when you claim that the portal within the realm leads to the outside. Your position as the next peak master will not be recognised until this is settled.”

Luo Xue’s steps came to a stop.

Turning around, Luo Xue revealed a faint smile. With Luo Bingyu’s support, she knew she could easily dismiss their words. However, her intention was never to achieve the position of peak master through connections alone. She simply didn’t want to give up on the position, nor leave the matter unresolved.

With a playful smile on her face, Luo Xue met Cai Ling’s serious gaze before relenting.

“Fine, for Elder Cai’s sake, I will give in one last time. Before I ascend to the position of a peak master, I will cooperate with the investigation. At the welcoming ceremony, Elder Sun is welcome to choose any beasts in that realm, or anything of his choice to challenge me. If I fail to defeat it, I will admit my mistake and voluntarily leave the sect. But if I win, I want Elder Sun to give me a public apology!”

“Xue-er.”

Luo Xue ignored Luo Bingyu’s threatening tone. She continued, “Even if there is no evidence, my strength alone will serve as ample proof of my capability to survive in that realm. Please look forward to it.”

Luo Xue mounted Luo Bingyu’s crane, and they left.

As the shadow of the crane disappeared into the clouds, everyone secretly sighed in relief. Unknowingly, they have been holding their breath the entire time. Hua Yang noticed her clenched fists, hidden within her sleeves, were shaking. Casting a quick glance at her unperturbed disciple, she soon recalled Luo Xue’s calm and poised demeanour. Then she closed her tired eyes, calming her anxious heart.

The punishment realm had failed to kill her. What steps should she take now? Or should she give up?

After the crowd dispersed, the gossip among the disciples exploded to an all-time high.

Nobody knew what to expect at the upcoming welcoming ceremony.

The moment they landed on Luo Bingyu’s snowy mountain, Luo Bingyu suddenly drew his sword and attacked Luo Xue, leaving her with little time to resist. In a split second, Luo Xue sensed a lethal force coming towards her and instinctively used her sword to block. Immediately after their swords clashed, she was forced back a few steps before finding her footing again.

“Good. You’ve become much stronger.”

Luo Bingyu nodded approvingly as he noticed Luo Xue’s reflexes had improved. Compared to six months ago, she could now anticipate his attack, proving that her training in the punishment realm had not been in vain. Satisfied, he kept his sword and looked away.

Yet once he made the turn, Luo Xue quickly shot her mental force to bind him, but he dodged. As he stepped aside, a blade narrowly brushed against his hair, cutting off a single strand. Just as the blade changed direction, he knocked the sword away, causing it to impale a nearby pillar.

When Luo Xue grasped the situation, Luo Bingyu’s sword once again grazed her neck.

“Well, I tried.”

Luo Xue sighed, but her playful smile remained. Luo Bingyu smiled in return, lowering his sword.

“And you’ve become more cunning as well.”

“Naturally.”

They laughed.

Afterwards, they strolled towards his home.

Quietly, Luo Xue appreciated the beauty of his place as they made their way there. Unlike her master’s bamboo-covered mountain, his mountain was covered in never-ending plum blossom trees. With each step, the snow crunched beneath her feet while the scent of plum blossoms wafted through the air.

Luo Bingyu walked ahead of her, his long grey hair tousled by the wind. As she looked at his back, an inexplicable sense of loneliness overwhelmed her. While everyone has always seen his powerful front, carrying the weight of the entire sect’s expectations and burdens on his shoulders, no one has seen his vulnerability and sorrow.

“Xue-er?”

Luo Xue snapped out of her daze and smiled. Shaking her head, she said, “It’s nothing. Let’s go.”

At Luo Bingyu’s home, Luo Bingyu brewed tea while Luo Xue filled him in on the events of the past six months. Without dwelling on the tedious mediation and training regime she did, she honestly disclosed the peculiarities of the lightning tribulation, the destruction of an illegal auction, and finally, her current cultivation level.

But with each new revelation, Luo Bingyu’s frown grew deeper and eventually, the smile he had initially worn had already vanished.

In a short span of six months, Luo Xue had advanced to early-stage Nascent Soul realm from early-stage Foundation Establishment realm, crossing the difference of seven stages in an instant. For her young age, this speed of cultivation was unprecedented and would eventually harm her vitality and longevity. Moreover, she has been putting herself in dangerous situations. Without a decent treasure to protect her, he would always be worried.

What would be the greatest help to her now was the treasury — his memento.

Luo Bingyu suddenly interrupted, saying, “Xue-er, take the treasury back. It’s better in your hands than mine.”

Luo Xue asked, “Uncle Luo, why should I take it back?”

By now, Luo Bingyu should have already gained complete control of the treasury. There’s no need to take it back and restart the process.

Luo Bingyu lowered his gaze, his lips pursed. Many memories rushed through his mind, each one tinged with regret. Upon learning that Luo Xue could have died in the punishment realm, he was filled with remorse. He regretted going along with her whims, but at the same time, he didn’t want to restrict her. Under his support, he wanted to see her grow stronger.

However, right now, he wasn’t certain anymore.

He was afraid. Afraid of losing someone he cares about. Someone he considered his family.

Luo Bingyu said, “You know you need it more. Much more than I do.”

“Even so, I have made up my mind to not take it back.”

“Xue-er, don’t be stubborn.” Luo Bingyu sighed. “If you still regard me as your family, then listen to me. Take it back.”

Family.

Luo Xue’s heart sank when she heard that word. She turned her gaze towards his blue eyes, observing the resemblance to her master’s. Although Luo Bingyu was certain that she was looking at him, it seemed as if her attention was elsewhere.

After a brief hesitation, a faint, but determined smile appeared on Luo Xue’s lips.

“Do you remember?” she asked. “Six months ago, I told you I came back to life. I wasn’t lying.”

“I saw the end of this sect. I saw how it fell apart. I also saw how you died.”

Luo Xue let out a chuckle. It sounded nothing malicious, but instead had a self-deprecating tone.

“Back then, I thought I was strong, but in fact, there was nothing I could do. I was so arrogant and so weak that all I could do was watch my master, you and everything around me, destroyed.”

“So, even if you doubt me, please don’t force me to take it back. Keep the treasury for yourself. You’re my only family left in this world.”

“Please.”

Seeing the fragility in her eyes, Luo Bingyu felt a suffocating tightness in his heart. When his sister was gone, he treated Luo Xue as if she were his own daughter, genuinely caring for her. He had always supported her, cared for her, never allowing her to be in danger nor trap her in a birdcage where she knew nothing. Yet, in a blink of an eye, she grew up, grew up so quickly to the point where he could hardly recognise her.

Family… She, too, was his only family left in this world.

Luo Bingyu looked at Luo Xue and gently patted her head. With a faint smile on his face, he let go of any remaining hesitation in his heart. The reluctance to use the treasury that was forced upon him vanished.

Luo Xue looked up, forcing back the tears threatening to spill. Once she regained her composure, she revealed the most sincere smile that Luo Bingyu has ever seen.

“Can you tell me more about the future you saw?” Luo Bingyu asked.

Luo Xue hesitated before giving a nod. Concealing nothing from him about her second life, she recounted her story…

But there was still something she didn’t elaborate on.

In truth of her existence, this was already her third life.

0