Chapter 11: Welcoming Ceremony
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day of the highly anticipated welcoming ceremony has arrived far sooner than everyone expected. Disciples and elders from various peaks gathered in the large arena, while the peak masters settled themselves atop a high viewing platform.

Today’s welcoming ceremony shall be the public examination to reevaluate Luo Xue’s capabilities. Against all expectations, the infamous weakling of the sect would be their newly appointed peak master.

On the peak master’s platform, Hong Yuming from the Infinite Learning peak, and Kun Yanli, from the Healing Jade peak, respectively, took their seats on the left and right side of Sun Yi.

Long before their arrival, news of the welcoming ceremony being held for Luo Xue had reached their ears. As they were preoccupied with their own responsibilities, neither of them was aware of the great changes occurring within the sect until it was too late. While they didn’t support Luo Bingyu’s hasty decision of assigning someone with an infamous reputation, their authority was limited. After all, it wasn’t their place to meddle in Luo Bingyu’s decision on who should be the peak master.

“Sun Yi, I heard that you and your people were tasked with preparing for this event. Tell us, what surprise did you plan?” Kun Yanli asked, his eyes filled with curiosity.

Sun Yi’s expression shifted, his smile looking like a sneer. He said, “It wouldn’t be a surprise if I told you. Be a good spectator and enjoy the show.”

“Heh,” Kun Yanli snorted dismissively. Unable to get a straightforward answer, his already crafty smile became more devious. “With the way you’re making this out to be, I wouldn’t be surprised if you have something obnoxious planned.”

“Nothing of that sort if our newest member could clear the challenge.”

Sun Yi appeared composed, yet there was a hint of gloom in his gaze.

Days before the welcoming ceremony, they have been investigating Luo Xue’s claim. Through the expertise of Hong Yuming, the master of sword arrays and formations, they discovered minor adjustments have been made to the portal’s formation, resulting in a change in the teleportation destination when exiting.

Hong Yuming, along with everyone else on the investigating team, was caught off guard since he was supposed to be the first person notified about any changes to their sect’s important portals. And yet, he received no updates. Because of this peculiar incident, he investigated his people for any negligence. Moreover, he also attempted to trace back to the person responsible for changing the formation, but was unable to find anyone.

Since there was no clear culprit, nor was Luo Xue’s claim entirely false, Sun Yi could only reluctantly set this matter aside and prioritised the preparations for the welcoming ceremony.

Sun Yi quietly grumbled, unaware that Cai Ling had caught sight of his disappointed face.

Just then, a crane’s cry could be heard from afar. Everyone turned silent as they awaited the arrival of their sect master.

When Luo Bingyu and Luo Xue arrived, everyone greeted them right away.

“Greetings to the Sect Master!”

Luo Bingyu raised his hand, acknowledging their courtesy. Under everyone’s watchful gaze, he nonchalantly led Luo Xue to the seat beside him before taking his own seat, asserting his authority like a ruler. Meanwhile, Luo Xue remained calm and unfazed. As she sat among the peak masters, her youthful appearance and unconventional attire easily drew attention to her.

Luo Xue resembled a fallen immortal. Draped in intricate dark green robes embroidered with black bamboo and cloud designs, she wore her long black hair tied with a green ribbon, flowing loosely down her shoulders. As her fingers casually traced the plain-looking thin sword hanging by her waist, a hint of a smile appeared on her cherry red lips, exuding an air of arrogance.

No one could believe that this was the same person who everyone looked down upon six months ago.

Now that everyone had taken their seats, the ceremony could now begin.

Sun Yi averted his gaze from Luo Xue and got up. As the one who organised this event, it would be only natural for him to start the speech. Standing above countless disciples, he announced, “As Divine Sword Sect maintains the position of the leading immortal sect, it is imperative that we continue to strive for improvement and growth to become stronger. As such, on this auspicious day, I am delighted to welcome Luo Xue to join us as the newest peak master of Formless Spring peak! However…”

“Although Luo Xue has survived in the punishment realm for half a year, Luo Xue’s true strength still remains a mystery to many of us. Thus, to give everyone the chance to see the rise of a remarkable genius, I have set up a special challenge for her, showcasing her full potential.”

Looking at Luo Xue, Sun Yi smiled. His words seemed polite, but his stern gaze lacked any sign of respect. “I hope Luo Xue can overlook this elder’s wilfulness and satisfy everyone’s curiosity.”

With a chuckle, Luo Xue hid the sly glint in her eyes behind her long lashes. While Sun Yi may have appeared to be supportive of her, his underlying intention was to raise her up to a high pedestal, only to watch her fall and be crushed miserably. But that didn’t mean she disliked his meddling arrangement. In fact, she had a purpose for deliberately provoking him.

Unbeknownst to him, she wanted to use him as a tool to set an example.

In this dog-eat-dog world where strength prevails, if she doesn’t demonstrate her power, even if she secures the position, nobody would bother to show her respect or listen to her.

When that happens, where would she find the means to persuade others to let the protagonist be her disciple then?

“Sure, I don’t mind. I look forward to seeing what Sun Yi has planned especially for me.” Luo Xue smiled knowingly at Sun Yi, ignoring the loathing look on his face. Clearly, he disliked the pretentious smile she wore and how she addressed him without any title.

“Then let us begin!”

Once Sun Yi uttered those words, he waved his hand through the air, instantly transforming the empty stage into a mountainous battlefield. Then he leapt into the centre of the place and beckoned Luo Xue to follow him.

“With my qualifications as a peak master of Divine Sword Sect, I, Sun Yi, have taken it upon myself to educate the younger generation. As such, I will judge Luo Xue based on her performance against me.” Sun Yi said as he looked at Luo Xue with a smirk. “If, within the span of an incense stick of time, Luo Xue managed to land a single hit on me, I shall concede defeat.”

In an instant, everyone inhaled sharply, flabbergasted by the difficulty of the challenge. Isn’t this blatant bullying? How could he expect her to land a hit against him, given his reputation as the “fastest person” in the entire sect?

Every peak master has their own specialisation.

Luo Bingyu excels in the art of swordsmanship, mastering all types of swords. Cai Ling honed her body to become a versatile weapon, serving both as a sword and a shield. Hua Yang incorporates poison-laced short swords into her graceful dance, combining both allure and danger. As for Sun Yi, his expertise lies in evasion, executing unpredictable movements while using daggers for his attacks.

In other words, Sun Yi was at his strongest when he could fully utilise his speed.

Everyone shook their heads. It seemed like they could foresee what the end result would be.

In contrast, Luo Xue appeared calm and composed, as if his challenge meant nothing at all. She jumped down from the viewing platform and landed gently on her feet. Catching sight of a conceited old man who believed he had already won, a wicked smile appeared on her lips.

Since Sun Yi wants to completely destroy her confidence, how could she not reciprocate?

“Sun Yi, your generosity has made me admire you. Since you have given me such a chance to learn from you, then I shall do the same. If, within the span of an incense stick of time, you can land a single hit on me, I will concede defeat, too.”

After Luo Xue said that, there was a sudden silence in the arena before the disciples erupted into a frenzy. Murmurs, whispers, and various other noises engulfed the place. Everyone looked at her like she was a lunatic.

Meanwhile, the people seated on the viewing platform had different reactions.

Luo Bingyu kept a neutral expression. Cai Ling laughed. Kun Yanli wore a mischievous smile, his grin spreading across his face. Hong Yuming frowned at the absurdity. Hua Yang pursed her lips, deep in thought. And even the most sleepy peak master, Qi Feng, blinked away his drowsiness as curiosity flickered in his eyes.

All of them had a similar thought in their minds — they wanted to see what changes would Luo Xue bring today!

Once the incense stick was lit, the battle began.

Sun Yi jumped backwards before disappearing into thin air. The next moment he appeared, afterimages of his figure were seen closing in on Luo Xue.

Normally, Sun Yi refrains from initiating attacks due to his combat style. However, assuming Luo Xue couldn’t match his speed, he chose to strike first.

Luo Xue shut her eyes, plunging her sight into a sea of darkness as she spread her perception around her. Although she looked as if she had given up with her eyes closed, she was listening to every sound Sun Yi made when his feet touched the ground.

Just as Sun Yi was about to reach her, Luo Xue suddenly raised her sword, parrying the attack aimed at her neck.

Immediately, Sun Yi changed the direction of his daggers to strike her legs, but once again, it was blocked. Growing frustrated, he intensified his strikes, making it challenging for Luo Xue to counter his attacks.

Once Luo Xue revealed an opening, Sun Yi teleported behind her, delivering a downward slash. Unexpectedly, she sidestepped his attack, narrowly missing her by an inch.

Sun Yi instantly retreated. Regardless of the angles he attacked from, Luo Xue always responded as though she had predicted his moves. He gripped his daggers. It was beyond his expectations that Luo Xue would turn out to be one of the most difficult he had ever encountered, especially since he looked down on her.

Forced to face her seriously, Sun Yi swayed his body from side to side, creating many copies of himself at an astonishing speed. Within seconds, an army of himself was formed, converging on Luo Xue.

Witnessing this spectacle, every disciple grew tense in their seats. This was Sun Yi’s strongest illusion technique, “Myriad Shadows”, which he has been perfecting over the past century!

With a silent exhale, Luo Xue stood still, gripping her sword as she held the tip of the blade towards the ground. Then she suddenly slammed her sword down, unleashing a shockwave that ripples outwards, easily destroying a third of the clones. And before anyone knew it, another third of the clones were destroyed when she lifted her sword, using her invisible mental force to shred them apart.

Left with a much smaller number of clones remaining, Luo Xue quickly cut through them, effortlessly shattering each illusion. Right as the last three clones were about to be cut down by her sword, she briefly paused and spun around, slashing at the thin air.

Without a second delay, Sun Yi quickly backed off, flipping into the air before landing on the tall rock. Unable to maintain the illusion technique, his remaining clones vanished, leaving him alone and gasping for air. He stared at Luo Xue, astonished. Rather than blindly wiping out his clones as he expected, she accurately identified his position through the use of his clones’ movement and directly targeted him without hesitation.

What terrifyingly acute senses!

Despite knowing he was only facing a Nascent Soul realm cultivator who fights with a simple swordsmanship, he found it difficult to defeat her, as if he was being toyed by her.

And Sun Yi wasn’t wrong for feeling that way.

Unlike Sun Yi, Luo Xue was at her strongest when she could fully utilise her mental force. From the very moment she set foot on the stage, she never once stopped releasing her mental force, extending it throughout the place like thin threads. As she gained complete control over the entire stage, Sun Yi’s every move became predictable, and it was only a matter of time before he became entangled in her web.

Finally, Luo Xue opened her eyes, a hint of boredom within them. It’s time to stop playing around.

Sensing a violent surge in the air, Sun Yi’s scalp tingled. He jumped from rock to rock, evading her wind slashes, while she ruthlessly destroyed each one. Even though Luo Xue was approaching him at the speed he could see, he couldn’t shake off the feeling that he would inevitably be caught.

When all the mountains were levelled, Sun Yi had nowhere left to hide. Despite knowing that his combat style was simply unsuited to confront her head-on, he gritted his teeth while he readied for one final attack.

Once Luo Xue was within range, Sun Yi unleashed the natural skill that every cultivator was capable of — suppression!

The wider the difference in the cultivation between you and your opponent, the more powerful and oppressive the pressure becomes, causing them to involuntarily freeze in fear.

However, the expected outcome didn’t happen. Not only was Luo Xue’s attack not interrupted, but it was also completely futile. After all, she was someone who had once reached the Demigod realm.

Without much effort, Luo Xue shrugged off the pressure and continued dashing forward at an even faster pace. By the time Sun Yi realised, she was almost within reach.

“For a long time, you viewed me as an eyesore because of the sect master, and now, seizing this chance, you wanted to teach me a lesson. But did you really think you could do it?”

“Your first mistake is underestimating me.”

CLANG!

Two swords clashed at once, causing waves of intense power to ripple through the stage.

As the dust cleared, neither of them faltered, still gripping their weapon tightly, holding out against each other. One of them had a tiny cut on the cheek, the other had a stab on the shoulder.

Sun Yi widened his eyes, filled with disbelief. Only he knew what had transpired.

“The result is… a tie!!” Cai Ling declared as she stood up, applauding.

All the disciples joined in, cheering, as they recalled the incredible battle that they had just witnessed.

Although there was no victor, Luo Xue’s performance was still an impressive feat. Sun Yi, whose cultivation was at late-stage Soul Ascension realm, was the third strongest cultivator in the entire sect. In terms of strength, he would surely overpower her. Yet, despite the odds, she managed to hold her ground against him, putting up a good fight.

As such, everyone’s negative impression of Luo Xue was overturned.

Luo Bingyu’s stoic expression softened, revealing a hint of a smile. He waved his hand, restoring the broken stage to its original state. Then he ordered his crane to bring the two people back to the viewing platform.

Luo Bingyu said, “Well done. Luo Xue has indeed shown that she is worthy of her new position. For such an amazing display, I will grant her the honour of picking the first candidate at the upcoming entrance exam.”

Everyone, including the peak masters, was shocked. Considering Luo Xue was a newly promoted peak master, she would have been the last person to pick. Wouldn’t that mean that even the sect master has to relent if Luo Xue chose the top candidate from the entrance exam to be her disciple? What an incredible privilege!

Luo Xue rose from her seat and bowed to Luo Bingyu. “Many thanks, Sect Master.”

Once everyone had settled down, the actual welcoming ceremony could finally begin.

Like a magical illusion, the beautiful disciples from the Flaming Flower peak appeared on the stage, dancing elegantly as their every step left a trail of pink petals in the mist. The mesmerising performance seemed like it would go on forever until the pink petals dissipated into the air, signalling for the sturdy disciples from the Wingless Blade peak to appear.

Without delay, they performed a coordinated fighting show. Each disciple punched, kicked and leapt from pillar to pillar, displaying their agility and strength. Once a disciple had reached the tallest pillar, he executed a somersault and nimbly landed on the back of a flying blue bird that caught him.

At once, a flock of colourful birds burst forth from the clouds, their joyful chirps echoing in the air. Over a hundred birds were let out from Precious Friend peak, unfolding a breathtaking sight as they gracefully soared through the skies.

When the last bird flew away, the disciples of the Infinite Learning peak unveiled a sword array, unleashing a vortex of spiritual energy that gathered on the stage. Shortly after, the disciples of the Healing Jade peak crushed top-tier pills into powder with their hands, dispersing it into the air. As these two factors combined, a surge of spiritual energy flowed into everyone’s bodies, boosting their cultivation by a little.

Lastly, amidst the excitement, the disciples from the True Sword peak assembled on the stage and demonstrated a set of exclusive sword techniques, providing an opportunity for everyone to learn and benefit from it.

Luo Xue thoroughly enjoyed the performances, attentively watching them from start to finish. Who would have expected such a grand and impressive welcoming ceremony?

Once Luo Bingyu stepped out to give his final speech, the welcoming ceremony came to an end.

As everyone went their separate ways, a single thought lingered in their minds — this would be the most memorable ceremony for years to come.

At a lair somewhere…

“My lord, I have finally tracked down the one who killed Chu Yuanchen.”

The black-clothed guard knelt down as he delivered his message.

“Who is it?”

“A young female cultivator from Divine Sword Sect named Luo Xue.”

“Oh?” A sly, charming smirk appeared on the man’s lips. “Divine Sword Sect, you say.”

“Yes, my lord.”

“I see…” The man smiled as his purple eyes flashed a hint of red. “Continue watching her.”

Phew. This is one of the longest chapter that I've written for this series. Please give me some likes and comments if you enjoy my novel, okay? *bows*

0