Chapter 12: Luxury Pavilion
29 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day after the welcoming ceremony, before sunrise, Luo Xue could be seen starting her morning training.

Balancing atop of a bamboo pole, Luo Xue exhaled, taking a moment to rest before she jumped, leaping from one pole to the next. As she glided through the air, the rush of wind filled her ears, and she manoeuvred past the looming poles hurtling towards her.

Within this specially constructed training ground, she had to skilfully navigate through a dense bamboo forest filled with traps, relying on her own judgement to evade any contact. By doing this training, she could develop not just her reflexes but also her wit.

Hours later, Luo Xue could feel her body getting heavier as it was reaching its limit. Given that she had already achieved her objective for today, it was a good time to stop. Intending to shut down the training ground, she dashed towards the switch, but had forgotten that there was still a hidden mechanism nearby, triggering a trap which fired a barrage of arrows at her.

While the arrows were not deadly, they would still inflict pain. Luo Xue quickly summoned her mental force to divert them away.

After they were gone, Luo Xue landed on the ground, panting, with sweat dripping down her neck. Although she made significant progress during her training, there were still areas she needed to improve on. For example, her footwork.

When she emerged from the training ground, her ribbon, previously sprawled on the stone, flew towards her and handed over the dark green sword. As she returned the sword to her waist, her ribbon spun around her before it begrudgingly settled itself on her shoulders.

Luo Xue noticed her ribbon’s subtle movements and curled her lips. She softly flicked it with her finger, causing it to tremble as if it was upset.

As Luo Xue made her way back to her house, she suddenly caught sight of a few people kneeling outside it. With narrowed eyes, she observed them for a moment until they suddenly turned around. She drew her sword to confront them, but they remained unfazed and continued advancing towards her.

Once they stood in front of her, they hastily dropped to their knees, grovelling.

“Elder Xue, good morning. We are here to serve you.” Their voices were in unison.

Taken aback, Luo Xue frowned. “What are you talking about?”

They exchanged glances. One of the older-looking women quickly explained, “Upon hearing that Elder Xue has assumed the role of a peak master, we, as loyal servants, decided to return here to serve you.”

Yet before they could get their hopes up, Luo Xue refused.

“No. I can manage without you all. Leave.”

However, they wouldn’t take no for an answer.

“Please, Elder Xue. Give us a chance to serve you!”

“Please! We have families to feed. Don’t be so cruel to us.”

“Elder Xue, please…”

If they continue to remain at another peak master’s place, they would always be considered as one of the many servants working there. It would be impossible for them to distinguish themselves and be granted better privileges.

Although they appeared sincere when they were pleading, Luo Xue had long seen through the greed in their eyes. They were as insincere and disloyal as they were many years ago.

Luo Xue pointed her sword at them, her gaze piercingly cold. “I do not like to repeat myself. Leave now before I take matters into my own hands.”

Right away, they could feel an immense pressure pressing on them, but they were extremely reluctant to give up. This was their only opportunity to improve their lives!

But before Luo Xue could allow them to utter another word, her sword had already cut down a dozen of bamboo behind them. Not one of them could catch a glimpse of her drawing her sword. Fearing for their lives, they scurried away.

“Blah! Who would want to serve you if not for your position? Screw this godforsaken place!”

As their backs faded into the distance, Luo Xue’s lips formed into a sneer.

Just because she seemed like an easy target, it didn’t mean she would let anyone exploit her. Those ambitious servants hoping to use her to improve their social status could keep dreaming.

From the moment they made the decision to leave the peak, she would never ever reconsider taking them back again.

Although these servants held relatively minor positions, they had still undergone training at another peak. She wouldn’t dare to take the risk of jeopardising her safety, especially since she was still stabilising her position as a peak master. If any of the peak masters secretly harboured ill intentions towards her, wouldn’t she be welcoming spies into her home? That was the last situation she would want to deal with.

After living alone at this peak for many years, she had already become accustomed to handling everything on her own. From cleaning, cooking to bathing, she settled those tasks without the help of servants. And when she accepts a disciple in the future, she will expect him to do the same.

As she continued to ponder about the protagonist whose future master would be her, she suddenly felt the need to start her preparations in advance. While she knew that showing him kindness and winning his favour would be sufficient, she also didn’t want her one and only disciple to suffer under her tutelage.

Later, before going to Divine City, she planned to get the help of Hong Yuming to create a unique array for her mountain peak, ensuring that only authorised people, such as the Sect Master and her disciple, could enter it. In addition, at Divine City, she would want to trade the materials inside her bangle for money to get better equipment, resources, and treasures.

With her objective in mind, she wasted no time freshening up and changing into a clean attire. And as soon as she locked her door, she came face to face with yet another uninvited visitor.

This time, it was Sun Yi.

Sun Yi stood there, not uttering a word. Luo Xue glanced at him before averting her gaze, walking past him. At this point, she’s not even surprised anymore. If she wants some peace for herself, she should really request Hong Yuming to create an array as soon as possible.

“Wait.”

Luo Xue sighed, turning around. “May I know what Peak Master Sun wants from me?”

“Yesterday… why did you do that?”

“What do you mean?”

“You could have won, but intentionally settled for a tie. Why?” Sun Yi asked. Since their battle, he couldn’t figure out why she acted the way she did during the match. She had the chance to embarrass him and receive his apology, but why didn’t she take it?

“Does it matter?”

“No, but—”

“Peak Master Sun, it’s not as complicated as you imagine.” Luo Xue stared at him without any hint of mockery. “All I want is for you to see me differently and not let past biases cloud your judgement. I never needed you to apologise to me.”

Hearing that, Sun Yi was taken aback. All sorts of complicated feelings emerged inside him.

Despite being aware of Luo Xue’s unique circumstances, he had never held her in high regard. Time and time again, he would be the first to dismiss her because he believed she lacked the necessary skills, strength, and talent to remain the sect. And yet, that very same person he despised would constantly overturn his perception, overcoming obstacles with unexpected determination.

Sun Yi fell into deep thought.

Prejudice…

Perhaps he truly held a prejudice against her.

“I understand. While I may not be fond of you, I will still give your words some thought.”

However, the moment Sun Yi lifted his gaze, he realised the person standing before him was gone.

Not a single trace of her back could be seen.

“…”

Sun Yi was left speechless. Any positive sentiment he had for Luo Xue vanished instantly. Forget it, I take back what I just said! He sighed and stormed off.

In Divine City, a young girl stood outside a pharmacy, leaning on a pillar. She nibbled on the spicy chicken kebabs she had just bought, noticing a few hungry stares coming her way. After eating it all up, she tossed the sticks into the nearby garbage bin and, by chance, saw the man she had been waiting for.

Without further delay, she approached him.

“Greetings to Peak Master Kun.” Luo Xue cupped her hands.

A stylish man in elegant light green robes, who appeared both handsome and gentle, emerged from the restaurant. Walking beside him were two younger men, both dressed in the same shade of green. Each of them had papers in their hands, looking to be a hefty pile of reports.

Kun Yanli stopped whispering to his disciples and turned to his right. When he saw it was Luo Xue, he smiled kindly. “Hmm? It’s you. Don’t be polite. Just call me Kun Yanli. Tell me, what business do you have with me?”

“Kun Yanli, which store do you suggest for crafting a uniform?”

Kun Yanli raised his brow and said, “Uniform? As a peak master, you’re not required to wear a uniform anymore.”

Luo Xue realised she didn’t make herself clear enough. “My apologies. My intention is to craft the finest uniform for my future disciple, and you seem to be the most knowledgeable on where to find what I need in this city.”

Hearing that, a slightly smug grin appeared on Kun Yanli’s face. Finding him for recommendations was without a doubt the best choice for Luo Xue. Whether it be pills, herbs, alchemy equipment, special materials, or money, he was the most reliable person.

As the treasurer of their sect and the manager of a pharmacy and several shops in this city, he handled all kinds of exotic treasures and currency. With his immense wealth and authority, he could easily obtain anything. As such, only he would be able to provide her with a satisfactory answer regarding the finest, trendiest and most luxurious materials found in this city.

Kun Yanli said, “Luxury Pavilion should be the best place for you to get what you want.”

“I see.” Luo Xue nodded. “Thank you for your recommendation. I’ll be going ahead.”

Luo Xue quickly walked towards the direction he was pointing without turning back.

But, after walking down a few streets, Luo Xue noticed Kun Yanli and his disciples were still following her. Confused, she looked back and asked politely, “Does Kun Yanli still have something to say?”

“Since I have time, why don’t we go together?” Although Kun Yanli asked, he didn’t wait for her reply before he ordered his disciples. “Two of you go back first and leave the reports at my office. I’ll review them tonight.”

As Kun Yanli turned his gaze to Luo Xue, he couldn’t help but laugh when he saw her bewildered expression. “What are you waiting for? Let us go.”

Since Kun Yanli insisted on accompanying her, she had no grounds to refuse him. Perhaps his presence would prove beneficial to her.

Luo Xue smiled. “Yes, let’s go.”

Inside the Luxury Pavilion, each gold pillar featured intricate paintings and carvings, while the pristine jade floor added an extra touch of luxury with every step. Every attendant diligently served their guests, showing a dedicated attitude as they assisted them to choose their perfect rouge, cream and fragrances.

The overall atmosphere of this store emphasised on opulence and grandeur, completely different from the ones she had seen in Central Dragon City.

Luo Xue suddenly felt hesitant. The name of the building already sounded impressive, but she wasn’t expecting the interior would be this extravagant. Judging by the immense size of the building, the business must be flourishing. Would she have enough spiritual stones to craft what she really wanted?

A sudden realisation struck her. Wasn’t this place just a high-end department store?

Back in the past, she would make it a habit to visit a luxury brand on occasions such as Mother’s Day and her mother’s birthday to find a present for her. The gifts were expensive, but it was an expense that she was willing to pay. As long as her mother beamed with joy upon receiving her gift, she would feel it was all worth it.

Despite living a long life in this world, Luo Xue realised she rarely ventured outside the sect to explore the city. And when she eventually left, the only thought she had at that time was to become stronger.

Spotting a familiar face among the two guests, a quick-witted attendant hurriedly approached. She politely greeted them and asked, “Distinguished guests, what is it that you seek?”

Kun Yanli answered, “Please summon Sir Liu and present this lady with the catalogue displaying the best level five and six materials suitable for clothing.”

Level Six?!

Astonished, the attendant immediately shifted her attention to Luo Xue. Based on her young appearance, she would never expect her to need such advanced materials. But, given that she was accompanied by her boss, she must be careful not to underestimate her.

Without a moment of delay, the attendant led them to the teleportation array and activated it, sending them to the exclusive top floor reserved for the ultra-wealthy and influential individuals.

When they got there, another attendant came out to meet them. Having been informed of these important guests through a communication jade, she directed them to the section where they displayed the latest arrivals of the finest materials behind glass walls.

“Take your time and browse through the collection. Feel free to ask the attendant any questions. Once you have made your choices, my skilled craftsman will help you design and craft the uniform.” Kun Yanli smiled as he settled comfortably by the window, enjoying his hot cup of tea. “I’ll be resting here.”

Luo Xue nodded. Taking the catalogue from the attendant, she checked out what this place had in store.

But before she could start reading, someone forcefully snatched her book.

With a contemptuous gaze, a young boy, who seemed to be much younger than her, glared at her.

“Hey! I have made a reservation for the entire floor. Get lost!”

Sorry for the long update. I'm still alive and I'm not dropping this series. I'll try to update one more this week since I'm gonna travel next week! ৻( •̀ ᗜ •́ ৻)

0