Chapter 1: I’m back alive
65 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“As the peak master of this sect, my teachings have nurtured many talented disciples. Never have I encountered an audacious villain willing to harm my beloved disciple for a sword that has already chosen her! Thus, I will administer punishment to you for disregarding harmony in the sect just for your personal selfish gain!”

This was what Luo Xue heard when she came back to life.

Upon opening her eyes, Luo Xue instinctively dodged, narrowly avoiding a flying sword that left a burning trail of blood on her cheek. She found herself surrounded by disciples glaring at her like hawks; a situation in which she hadn’t experienced in a long time.

What’s going on? 

Luo Xue avoided another strike coming towards her, wearing a puzzled expression. After breaking into the Nascent Soul1The 4th realm of cultivation realm, she was considered to be one of the sect’s rising geniuses. Hardly anyone would dare to attack her, given the severe consequences they would have to endure.

As if the situation wasn’t strange enough, turning her attention to the attacker, Luo Xue caught sight of a familiar face. Her eyes widened in disbelief. 

Hua Yang? She’s still alive! How can it be?

Just as Luo Xue doubted if the sight she saw was an illusion, she finally took notice of the thin silver sword clasped in her hand. She was stunned, taken aback!

In a flash, Luo Xue’s memories from the past jolted back!

She had assumed that her death would be the end, not the beginning. So why was she back here again?

The sword she was holding onto was none other than the legendary weapon used by the Divine Sword Sect’s sect founder. It possessed a razor-sharp edge with a discernible glow that set it apart from the typical iron sword. It was the lifeblood of the sect founder’s strength, who used it to establish a foothold in the cultivation world. The success and prosperity that the sect had been enjoying for years couldn’t have been without its contribution.

Furthermore, this extraordinary sword belonged to none other than the protagonist! It was his ultimate weapon and also the very sword that caused her death. How could she not be familiar with it?

In seconds, Luo Xue understood she had regressed back to when she was just an 18-year-old weakling who was attending a sword selection event!

Regardless of whether she could figure out the truth of her return, with an elegant woman standing across from her and a crowd of spectators demanding her for an answer, she knew she had to settle this issue first.

From what she could recall, this was a setup by the master and her eldest disciple, Hua Yang2Peak Master of Flaming Flowers peak, and Yun Meixin3Personal Disciple of Hua Yang.

In this sword selection event, there were a wide variety of swords for the disciples to choose from. As Yun Meixin had discovered that Luo Xue had almost contracted the ultimate sword, afraid that fortune would favour the fool again, Yun Meixin contacted her master to help put a stop to it.

In the road of cultivation, although talent was an important factor, having the right opportunities would also allow one to rise just as quickly. 

Yun Meixin didn’t want to re-experience the past, in which all the attention and resources were given to Luo Xue first. She was already envious of the fact that Luo Xue had an excellent master who lavished her with treasures despite her lack of talent. How could she allow her, who had since lost her master, to rise above her again?

After discussing with her master, Yun Meixin decided to enact a self-inflicted injury act. When Yun Meixin sensed Luo Xue was preparing for a second attempt, she condensed her spiritual energy into her short sword and launched an attack on Luo Xue.  

Instinctively, Luo Xue reacted to the sudden attack. As cultivators who honed their bodies and senses through countless battles, parrying and deflecting attacks directed at them was second nature. While using her iron sword, Luo Xue countered, slashing Yun Meixin, who did nothing to stop her attack. Luo Xue had realised what they were plotting, but it was too late for her to withdraw. She had fallen for their trap, just as they predicted.

Exerting no defensive measures, Yun Meixin was easily injured, putting on an act to highlight her injury. With what little remaining energy she had, she scrambled for the ultimate sword and pressed her bloody palm onto it before collapsing. Soon enough, Hua Yang came to ‘rescue’ her disciple, causing a ruckus which invited all other disciples to witness the chaos.

Looking at a dazed Luo Xue, Hua Yang assumed she was lost for words. She sneered with contempt in her eyes and said, “Hah! Who doesn’t know that Junior Xue’s cultivation is the weakest among the group of talented inner disciples? If it wasn’t for her master’s past contributions, how could she keep her place in this sect? Harming a member of the same sect is a serious crime! I refuse to let her go unpunished!”

What Hua Yang did was to insult Luo Xue and, by extension, remind everyone of the preferential treatment that Luo Xue had gained.

In this Divine Sword Sect, there was no one who didn’t know about Luo Xue’s master — her former deceased master. 

Many years ago, Luo Xue was announced to be the first and last personal disciple of Luo Ningyue of the Divine Sword Sect, a remarkably talented and skilful cultivator.

When the news first hit the headlines, it took everyone by storm.

Luo Ningyue was not a random nobody. In fact, it was just the opposite. Not only was she a super genius, she was also a direct descendant of the sect founder. This meant that her lineage and talent were certainly the cream of the crop. For the Luo Ningyue to give her guidance, teachings, and treasures to a single disciple, who was also not blood–related to her, it was inconceivable.

A disciple was the continuation of a master’s legacy. Putting all her eggs into one basket; was Luo Ningyue not afraid of the risk?

However, no one dared to question her decision. With such a formidable background, everyone believed that Luo Ningyue had her reasons and soon held high expectations for her disciple.

Yet, when Luo Xue’s assessment result was exposed, many disciples flew into a fit of rage, jealousy, and confusion. Upon learning that Luo Xue was nothing more than a weak cultivator whose spiritual roots had five attributes, they viewed her differently.

Her talent was as common as the grass that one could find growing anywhere. Then what was so special about Luo Xue that made Luo Ningyue choose to leave everything for her? Everyone had speculated on the reason and somehow reached a conclusion that Luo Xue was a product of Luo Ningyue’s secret affair; a child born out of wedlock.

No matter how Luo Ningyue tried to explain, the rumours did not subside and continued to intensify. It wasn’t until a sacrifice had been made that everything changed.

During the great battle between the cultivators and demons, regardless of the things that had been said about her, Luo Ningyue fought valiantly as the representative of the sect. After the battle’s conclusion, everyone had learnt of her selfless sacrifice to fend off such a threat and her former foul reputation washed away, along with her death. They had lamented that a hero like her had also succumbed to death.

And thus, because of Luo Ningyue’s heroic act, no one would condemn the hero who stood up for everyone. Naturally, Luo Xue, being Luo Ningyue’s only disciple, was still able to enjoy preferential treatment, fearing no consequences. 

Sadly, because of this decision, it had made the other disciples drift away from Luo Xue. Even if they admired Luo Ningyue, they couldn’t accept a fellow disciple who was nothing more than a waste, occupying a spot that another hardworking, talented disciple deserved.

With Hua Yang reminding the disciples of the unfairness they experienced, many envious but timid disciples gained the courage to speak up and, one by one, joined the bandwagon to voice their discontent towards Luo Xue.

“That’s right! You’re undeserving of that sword! Give it back to Senior Sister Yun!”

“Give it back to her, you thief!”

Before Hua Yang could continue on with her tirade, a cold and stoic grey-haired middle-aged man appeared beyond the clouds, silencing all the voices and murmurs.

“That’s enough.”

In an instant, the air seemed to freeze, and the atmosphere turned eerily tense. Everyone had sensed their bodies being suppressed and turned to focus their gaze on Luo Bingyu, who was floating forward with all the prestigious elders behind him. 

T-The Sect Master was here?!

With the arrival of Luo Bingyu, everyone couldn’t help but freeze and tremble with fear. At once, all the disciples cupped their hands as a salute and their faces turned grim several times. There was nothing to fear if the Sect Master wasn’t here, but now that he had witnessed everything, was he going to punish them for their behaviour? Some disciples’ eyes turned red from envy, thinking that Luo Xue was going to be protected yet again.

Luo Bingyu, the current sect master of the Divine Sword Sect, accomplished the remarkable feat of attaining the Ascendant realm4The 7th realm of cultivation at a mere age of 1775Average age to reach Ascendant realm is 250. His ability to achieve that was greatly influenced by his unparalleled talent, influential background, and unwavering resolve. So, for this sect to maintain its prestige at the top of all immortal sects, Luo Bingyu was indispensable. As such, his very presence demanded fear, admiration, and respect.

In addition, Luo Bingyu was none other than Luo Ningyue’s eldest brother, and the current backer behind Luo Xue. Clearly, he would be the one who has the final say on how Luo Xue should be treated. Otherwise, without his help, how could Luo Xue survive so peacefully within the sect?

Just then, a light chuckle broke the tension. Luo Xue’s lips curled into a faint smile. A cunning light flickered in her black eyes. Everyone’s attention focused on the girl with the thin silver sword in her grasp.

To everyone’s surprise, Luo Xue was just standing there nonchalantly, without a hint of fear on her face. Their condemnations didn’t seem to affect her in the slightest. Instead, the smile she wore only made them feel apprehensive about her thoughts.

Luo Xue examined the blade, her gaze not straying away from it. As her fingertips brushed the edge, she lifted her head, and her frigid stare collided with Hua Yang’s. In a chilling tone, she said, “Rice can be eaten, but some words can’t be spoken. Whether I have used underhanded tactics was only something your disciple has witnessed. Elder Hua, are you prepared for the consequences of vilifying me with no evidence? Do you dare to swear that you have spoken the truth?”

As Luo Xue expected, Hua Yang’s eyes showed a hint of uncertainty before she covered it up with a calm facade. Hua Yang didn’t expect Luo Xue to speak up, much less push her to swear.

Swearing an oath was a serious and consequential act to prove one’s word. One had to understand that as soon as a person breaks their oath, it wouldn’t even take a second for the heavens to rob them of their cultivation. The once cultivator would be reduced to a mortal with no chance of ever returning to the cultivation world. This was a very simple but vicious taboo for cultivators who pursued prestige and longevity. 

Hua Yang hesitated for a moment. Evidence? What more do they still need? With her disciple injured to this extent and the bloody handprint on the sword, everyone would presume that her disciple was attacked while in the middle of contracting the sword.

There was no chance anyone would take Luo Xue’s side. After all, Luo Xue’s qualifications were the worst among the entire sect! If it wasn’t for Luo Ningyue’s influence, none of the top sects would accept a spiritual root of five attributes6The basic five attributes are Metal, Wood, Fire, Water, and Earth, also known as a ‘waste root’!

At this point, Hua Yang had convinced herself and calmed down further. No matter the cost, she had to plan for her disciple’s future!

Hua Yang smiled. “Of course I dare to. I wouldn’t make those claims if I didn’t witness it with my very own eyes. So with the heavens as my witness, I, Hua Yang, swear upon my life that if I had falsely accused you of harming my disciple, Yun Meixin, may the heavens strike me a hundred times!”

The moment she completed her oath, everyone gasped. What a terrible oath! When everyone realised nothing had happened, they were even more convinced of her truth. Otherwise, the heavens would have already struck her down had she lied.

Noticing as the gazes were turning more sympathetic every second, Hua Yang knew she had made the right move. Though the meaning of her oath was slightly twisted, it was not an outright lie. Just like this, she ensured everyone’s impression of Luo Xue remained as an overzealous and envious person!

With momentum in her favour, Hua Yang would not let the matter end so easily. “The rule of the sword selection competition stipulates that once a person has found a select sword of their liking, they are to undergo a refinement process with the sword until they fail. Only then would others be given a chance with the sword. Judging by the sword in your hands, which has plenty of my disciple’s blood, I am absolutely certain that you snatched it from her while she was still recovering after an attempt. This is tantamount to breaking the sect’s rules. How will you prove your innocence?”

Despite the sly words spoken by Hua Yang, some of them carried facts about the current sword selection competition.

The sword selection competition was a triennial event hosted by their sect. It was a week-long event in which the sect would give the disciples entry into a special realm where an abundance of spiritual swords were laid to rest. 

These spiritual swords had their own consciousness and would choose a master they deemed worthy, growing according to their strength. This, in turn, encouraged ambitious and eager disciples to work harder in their cultivation so they could receive their acceptance. It was also common knowledge that spiritual swords favour people with greater talent and aptitude.

In order to maintain fairness and prevent infighting among the disciples of the sect, a rule of ‘no external interference while one was contracting with a sword’ was established.

Luo Xue knew what Hua Yang was trying to do. 

Hua Yang wanted to use that rule to force her to accept the blame voluntarily. As a peak master of the sect, her words carried weight, more than that of a mere disciple. If Hua Yang continued to act righteously, sound evidence would be needed, like bonding with the ultimate sword in front of everyone.

Yet Luo Xue would rather play along with their scheme, even if the matter was simple for her to solve. Not only was she willing to accept the blame, she was also interested in increasing her given punishment.

Luo Xue locked her gaze on the injured Yun Meixin, who lay helplessly in Hua Yang’s embrace. Without warning, she threw the blade she was holding towards them!

Hua Yang instinctively caught the sword, her angry expression turned somewhat flabbergasted. She had expected many responses, but she didn’t foresee what Luo Xue had just done.

What was Luo Xue thinking?

0