Chapter 2: I’d be a Villain
54 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Well, this sword has yet to choose anyone as its master, so why not let your disciple try? There won’t be many chances like this,” Luo Xue’s smile seemed gentle, but it appeared unsettling to Hua Yang.

Hua Yang knew what Luo Xue was implying. But so what? As long as they stop her from contracting with the sword, there won’t be the next ‘Luo Ningyue’ to suppress her like before, and to her, that was enough. But little did she know her disciple had other thoughts.

Yun Meixin felt that Luo Xue’s words dawned on her. That’s right! How could she have forgotten that the sword had yet to choose its master? If she could form a contract with it, stopping Luo Xue wouldn’t matter anymore. It would be about her rising to the top like a phoenix. 

Yun Meixin ‘coincidentally’ woke up and looked around in confusion. Acting as if in a panic, she looked at the sword in her master’s hand and gasped, “My sword!”

Not willing to let go of this opportunity, Yun Meixin said, “Master, please allow this disciple to attempt again. I sincerely believe that I can contract this sword!” She had convinced herself that since Luo Xue almost contracted the sword, she would most certainly be able to do it.

In this moment, how could Hua Yang refute or stop her enthusiastic disciple in front of everyone? She had wanted this matter to pass by, hoping her disciple would keep her mouth shut, but sadly, things didn’t seem to go her way. She reluctantly nodded, although appearing to support her disciple’s decision. Inwardly, her heart held no hope. Only she knew what her disciple was capable of.

With her master’s approval, Yun Meixin could start her attempt.

“Then this disciple shall begin!”

With no hesitation, Yun Meixin poured out her spiritual energy from her palms and channelled all of it into the sword. When the sword sensed an unfamiliar energy invading it, it surged with strong resistance, shaking with each tremble.

As the minutes went by, Yun Meixin’s forehead gathered with sweat, the sickly pallor of her face becoming more noticeable. Unwilling to back down, she tightened the grip on the sword handle, pouring more energy to weaken its defences.

Perhaps her unwavering determination to succeed had convinced the sword, and it eventually stopped trembling. Once Yun Meixin felt she was back in control, the sword finally yielded, releasing a brilliant blue glow that bathed everyone in an unexpected burst of light. 

As the light continued to fade, the sword before Yun Meixin shimmered in a halo of blue. This ethereal glow served as a testament to her successful pact with the spiritual sword, hinting at the newfound connection between them. 

Hua Yang’s jaw dropped. Never in her wildest dreams had she anticipated her disciple obtaining that sword.

After the initial shock was over, everyone broke from their stupor. They looked at Yun Meixin with a mixture of emotions, but their gazes obviously shone with envy and admiration. 

This was the sword wielded by the sect founder to establish the sect’s existence! No one except him had been its master. By being recognised as its master, it was the equivalent of having a talent that could rival that of the sect founder himself. The Sect Founder who had reached the elusive Demigod realm! 

That being said, since everyone’s train of thought could lead up to this, then even Yun Meixin was not spared from it. She was suddenly surrounded by a swarm of praises, all of which she had fantasised about countless times.

Nobody noticed Luo Xue subtly smiling at this development, except for Luo Bingyu. Her slight change in mood didn’t escape his keen observation. He furrowed his brow in scepticism.

Right after everyone had settled down, Hua Yang delivered another bold statement. Now that her disciple had secured the sword’s allegiance, she had no reason to show less restraint. Who would dare to stop her?

Casting a brief look at Luo Bingyu, Hua Yang cupped her hands and bowed her head, hiding the hint of viciousness in her eyes. “Sect Master, I demand that Junior Xue be lashed thirty times for deceiving the sect and harming her fellow disciple.”

At that moment, the disciples gasped. With their low cultivation, most of them would be on the brink of death if they had been punished with twenty strokes of the whip. Taking on thirty strokes definitely warranted them a death sentence. Yet, they could also understand Hua Yang’s fury. After all, Luo Xue had almost caused the sect to lose a great disciple by obstructing the path of Yun Meixin, whose talent right now was immeasurable.

Although Hua Yang seemed calm and collected, she was secretly worried. This scheme was not created because of some petty jealousy, but rather through a sinister plan to pave the way for her disciple. Unlike what her disciple thought of Luo Xue, when she learnt that Luo Xue had almost succeeded, she broke out in a cold sweat, knowing that not any random weakling could achieve such results. Her gut instinct told her that Luo Xue was a diamond in the rough; and through pure coincidence, she was the first to notice it.

Since Luo Xue was someone she couldn’t persuade, manipulate or bring under her wing, Hua Yang would rather tie up the loose ends and eliminate this seemingly untalented disciple now, before Luo Xue could rise to glory. Ultimately, Hua Yang was that resolute in letting her disciple reach the top. There was nothing she wouldn’t do to achieve her goal. 

Fearing that Luo Bingyu would once again shield Luo Xue’s shortcomings, Hua Yang stressed, “If Junior Xue goes unpunished, I will resign!”

No doubt her words carried a hint of threat, but Hua Yang was extremely confident. Between the future of the sect or an insignificant disciple, it was clear which would be the better choice.

Unfortunately, Hua Yang made a severe blunder. She cared too much for her own interests and had forgotten the simplest thing. For Luo Bingyu, what he had hated most of all was to be threatened.

Luo Bingyu’s eyes turned icy, his gaze fixated on Hua Yang. He unsheathed his sword, causing Hua Yang to feel a chilling dread.

Hua Yang gulped, her complexion turning white. She knew her limited strength proved no match for Luo Bingyu’s immense power, causing her determination to slowly crumble. Just as her knees were on the verge of touching the ground, a gentle breeze, light as a feather, sliced through the air, halting Hua Yang from going further.

Hua Yang froze in shock. As perceptive as she was, this was the first time she felt that a moment of contact was enough to make her feel helpless!

Immediately, Hua Yang looked around, but she could not figure out who would help her. Meanwhile, Luo Bingyu discovered it was Luo Xue who had stopped Hua Yang from kneeling. But why?

Luo Bingyu questioned it in his heart but revealed nothing on his face. When he glanced at Luo Xue again, he saw the smile she had given him. It was a smile full of arrogance and mischief! That uncanny resemblance left Luo Bingyu feeling dazed. How he wished his little sister was still alive!

Since Luo Xue interrupted them, she decided it was time for her step in.

“Given that my punishment has yet to be decided, how about this?” Luo Xue turned her gaze towards Hua Yang, her lips forming a deeper smile. “Since this disciple wishes to enter the Thousand Illusion Beasts Realm, six months should suffice as a fitting punishment to appease Elder Hua’s ire, right?”

Again, everyone gasped. Is Luo Xue crazy? Isn’t this punishment much more cruel than receiving thirty strokes of whip? No one could understand Luo Xue’s decision to escalate her punishment. 

However, once words were spoken, they were like spilled water, difficult to reclaim.

“Are you sure?” Luo Bingyu asked.

“Yes.” 

As the one who suggested it, it was up to her to bear the consequences, and Luo Xue wasn’t afraid of it.

Luo Bingyu flicked his long sleeves, signalling for the disciples to end their noisy commotion. He silently contemplated her words, and everyone except him was far more eager to know his answer than he was. Once he remembered her mischievous smile, he had an answer.

When Luo Bingyu gave his nod of approval, Luo Xue’s method of punishment was decided.

At once, everyone erupted into a frenzy, having various speculations about his decision. No one could have foreseen that Luo Bingyu would agree to her ridiculous, impulsive request. 

While everyone, including the rest of the elders, were discussing among themselves, there was one woman whose happiness could barely be contained. Hua Yang’s heart pounded with excitement. No matter how confident Luo Xue was, Hua Yang was convinced that Luo Xue had overestimated herself. Her death was guaranteed, and she didn’t need to do anything. 

Luo Xue observed their expressions one by one while remaining indifferent to their gazes. She took out a bamboo-patterned jade token from her sleeves and raised it up. Under the gaze of everyone, with an unreadable smile on her lips, she declared, “If I, Luo Xue, managed to return alive after six months, I will discard my identity as a disciple and succeed as the next master of the Formless Spring peak!”

Instantly, silence befell everyone. This time, no one, not even the elders who remained as spectators, could prevent their nonchalant expression from cracking. This news was even more dreadful than the previous one. 

What Luo Xue held in her hand was a genuine article of the sect’s peak succession right and with it, she already had half of the requirements to become a master. Nobody would have expected that this token was not lost, but was kept with Luo Xue instead.

Before Luo Bingyu could question Luo Xue, Sun Yi, the peak master of the Unseen Ghost peak, who holds the second highest authority in the Divine Sword Sect, spoke.

“Junior Xue, think carefully before you speak. Not just anyone can succeed as a peak master of our sect.”

As Luo Bingyu’s right-hand man, in charge of the sect’s rules, Sun Yi was someone who valued order. In his eyes, Luo Xue was a foolish child who thought nothing about the consequences she would cause.

However, Luo Xue laughed as though she heard a joke. “Leaving that realm alive is already a feat in itself. Why wouldn’t I be eligible to become a peak master if I managed to do so?”

Sun Yi glared at her, stunned by her bold words, but he knew she had a point. For her, at her current level, to survive for six months without outside help, let alone leaving the realm unscathed, would prove that she had enough capability to become a master. Yet, as logical as her words were, being a peak master was not a duty that anyone could take up. Every peak master must be able to fulfil their duties that could benefit the sect, so what could Luo Xue even provide?

Moreover, he had tolerated enough of Luo Xue’s whims. Just because Luo Bingyu was willing to turn a blind eye, didn’t mean he would allow her to cause more troubles for the sect when it was unnecessary. 

Sun Yi snorted, “So what?”

“Our lives and deaths are preordained by the heavens and we, as cultivators, seek longevity by going against it. Since Junior Xue’s luck is not ordinary, who knows if you would be lucky again? Coming back alive proves nothing,” Sun Yi sneered.

Luo Xue’s gaze darkened. How could she not understand what he meant when he had already spoken so bluntly? Sun Yi might have praised her for her good fortune, but she was well aware that he was implying about Luo Bingyu’s protection of her! 

After all, given her pathetic cultivation, without Luo Bingyu’s intervention, it was impossible for her to stay in the sect for this long with no help.

Luo Xue kept her silence, her head lowered. Everyone thought she was bowing in shame, but in reality, she was thinking up a reason to justify her stand. Considering the fact that she was brought back alive, she cannot waste this chance. 

Right as Luo Xue was about to open her mouth to speak, a gentle tap interrupted her, capturing her attention. Raising her head, Luo Xue noticed Luo Bingyu’s gaze directed towards her, his hand lightly tapping her shoulders as if consoling her.

Luo Xue was slightly startled, yet her heart felt warm by his gesture.

Luo Bingyu asked, “Have you considered it carefully? If not, it’s not too late to change your mind.”

Luo Xue stared into Luo Bingyu’s worried eyes before revealing a faint smile. As expected, no matter how bizarre the situation was, how outrageous her demands were, as long as it was something that she wanted, Luo Bingyu would never casually dismiss her words.

“Sect Master, in time, I will prove to you that I’m capable of becoming the peak master of Formless Spring peak.”

Luo Bingyu sensed the unwavering determination in Luo Xue’s words and knew her mind was made up. He smiled, but a sliver of doubt lingered in his heart. He had yet to figure out why Luo Xue had brought about these changes, but he won’t stop her.

With a penetrating gaze, Luo Bingyu turned towards the crowd and announced, “Should Luo Xue survive the punishment realm for six months, she shall be recognised as the next peak master of Formless Spring peak. Her life will be proof of her capability.”

With Luo Bingyu’s approval and insistence to help Luo Xue, how could anyone else raise an objection? Without a choice, everyone reluctantly accepted his decision as they cupped their hands. “As the Sect Master commands.”

Likewise, Luo Xue thanked Luo Bingyu, her eyes showing sincere gratitude. “Many thanks for the sect master’s trust.”

Finally, Luo Bingyu shot a glance at Sun Yi and Hua Yang. He said, “When Luo Xue succeeds as peak master of the Formless Spring peak, I expect equal respect from all disciples and masters. All previous debt, animosity and grudge between the parties should be resolved.”

Knowing it was a warning aimed directly at them, Hua Yang’s complexion turned pale, while Sun Yi furrowed his brows. In the end, they could only begrudgingly maintain their silence.

With the matter concluded, Luo Bingyu had no reason to stay any longer. Stepping on his summoned sword, he flew away.

Without the sect master’s presence, none of the peak masters were willing to stay. One by one, they left quickly, as if the ground under their feet was burning them. This left the remaining elders in charge to resume the sword selection event.

Likewise, left with no interest in the event, Luo Xue also took her leave, exiting the place without turning back.

After Luo Xue left, it took the disciples a moment before they realised what had actually happened. Three major shocking events took place today, and all of which involved Luo Xue. Everyone was dying to gossip.

Yun Meixin was still on cloud nine, unaffected by Luo Xue’s crazy declaration, whereas Hua Yang looked at her disciple worriedly before pulling her away.

Regardless of how the future would turn out, if Luo Xue returned alive, she would pose a great threat to them. Hua Yang refused to let her disciple slack off in her training; in fact, from today onwards, she had to push her even harder.

Meanwhile, Luo Xue was leaping through a rugged path as she quickly headed back to her master’s residence. Along the way, her thoughts wandered into the past.

As to why Luo Xue acted the way she did? The reason was very simple.

Luo Xue was known for her generally calm demeanour, albeit unpredictable at times. As long as her boundaries were respected, she wouldn’t harbour any ill feelings. Yet, once that line was crossed, she would become a very capricious person with a vindictive nature, repaying back every grievance she suffered. Thus, it was not Yun Meixin’s luck or ability that allowed her to contract with the sword. It was all a part of Luo Xue’s calculations.

So when she said that this ultimate sword belonged to the protagonist, she really meant it.

In the previous life, much like Yun Meixin, Luo Xue was the one who established a contract with the sword to prove her innocence. Despite the sword’s unwillingness to help her in battles, Luo Xue attributed it to the sword’s prideful temperament. She continued to nourish the sword with precious treasures, hoping it would soften its icy disposition, but it turned out to be a mere assumption on her part.

The value of the sword far surpassed what she bargained for.

To bite the hands that feed you; the sword was the definition of an ingrate.

One day, the sword unilaterally broke off their contract. Due to their unequal strength, Luo Xue experienced a severe backlash that nearly took her life. She was filled with dismay and begged for the sword to return to her, yet regardless of her heartfelt words and earnest actions, it remained unmoved by her pleas.

At that time, Luo Xue didn’t understand why the sword abandoned her, until she saw the so-called ‘disobedient’ sword cozying up to the protagonist. It was then she knew the reason. She simply wasn’t the chosen one.

In the end, after years of opposing the protagonist, Luo Xue eventually came to accept the fact that the treasures destined for the protagonist were unattainable for her.

Moreover, following her return to life, there had been significant changes.

In spite of her current cultivation being at the early-stage Foundation Establishment, when she held the sword, it was screaming its desire to be bound to her. Perhaps the sword could perceive her true strength because she kept her mental ability… but so what?

She would never give the sword a second chance.

As a result, with the sword still in her hand, Luo Xue used her mental force to shatter its spirit and forced it to submit to her. With a single thought, she could dictate what the sword should or shouldn’t do.

Therefore, it was Luo Xue who allowed Yun Meixin to establish a contract with the sword. She knew the sword was terribly prideful and hated to be paired with a weakling that it looked down upon, biding its time to break off their contract.

This scheme would not only break apart the disciple that Hua Yang cherished so much. It would also make Yun Meixin experience the same pain as she once did. A simple plan, yet one with terrible consequences. Their misery was much to her delight.

After all... weren’t they the ones who accused her of being a villain? Then she would be one for all of them to see.

1