Episode 7: Hunting Expedition
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You woke up in the morning eager to check the bulletin board regarding your yesterday's performance. But first, you wanted to check what was that popping sound yesterday. You were too tired to even check let alone write in your journal.

You opened your status window. Your eyes widened in surprise.
You have new skills!

Hack 'em not slice 'em!
Multi Attack

This must be from when you were hacking the dummies with all your strength.

"Oh," you read the description.

Decapitates the titan from the nape off.

Your eyes move to the second skill.

Allows you to immediately hook and attack yourself to another target continuously for three times.

"Woah that's awesome!"

The skill you earned will prove to be useful except for the few downsides that it uses up so many blades for 3 attacks.

You head out of your dorm with confidence to go to the training ground and check the bulletin board.

You saw your name amongst the top 4, you're happy enough with this result. And nodded to yourself. Surprisingly for you, you saw Kate in the top 13. It's still the pre-evaluation so you have no doubt she'll improve even more. You saw Jina nearby and she had a sad expression. She was inspired by you and Kate and she was sad she didn't even make it to the anywhere near top 10.


"It'll be okay Jina." You say with a reassuring smile. "Look, you still passed the evaluation. And it's still just the pre-evaluation so you'll have another chance." You tell her while patting her back.

"Hey, you two!" Kate found you and Jina and made her way to join you two. "Congratulations Eve! You made it to the top 4, that's amazing!" She tells you as she smacks your back hard. 

"Thanks." You say with a sheepish smile. "You too Kate! You got on Top 13! Just a bit more and you’ll reach Top 10! I always knew you had it in you but you're amazing!" You giving a fist bump on her shoulder.

At this point, Jina is by her thoughts,

Maybe, I'm not good enough

You noticed Jina's disappointed expression, "Jina, you'll do better in no time, Kate and I will help you." Jina's expression still looked disappointed but she managed to force a small laugh.

What am I thinking, I don't even want to join the MPs. I'm doing okay enough.

"Don't sweat it, it's just the pre-evaluation phase. No worries." Kate said as she lightly slapped Jina's back. Then it dawned on you, that you haven't talked with them about which regiment they wanted to be enlisted in. "Jina, which regiment would you like to join?" Taken aback by your sudden question, Jina fiddled with her fingers. "I'm not as strong as you or Kate, so I was thinking about enlisting in the Garrison Regiment," Jina said with her head down.

"That's awesome! You'd be responsible for defending the walls!" You say before continuing. "Many people will depend on you to protect them. How about you Kate?" You then turn to face Kate. "Well, I haven't exactly decided yet but I'm between the Survey Corps and the Military Police." She says fiddling with her hair averting her eyes.

Why is everyone so shy about their choices in life?   You thought to yourself.

"Everyone, you shouldn't feel embarrassed about whatever your decisions in your career. Your choice makes you, 'you'. So don't be shy about it." You say with a soft smile on your face. Kate's eyes widened before slowing to a soft expression, "Yes, I guess you're right." Kate says as she contemplates more about her future. "Eve," Jina looks at Kate, "Kate, I want to be stronger from now on. Teach me!" You're surprised to hear this burst of resolve from Jina but happy that she's able to overcome things her way. You and Kate gave a "Mhm" with a soft smile on your faces.

"You'll be the worst bitch out there slayin' titans girl!" You say cheering Jina on with big smiles.

*

The rest of your training as a cadet includes learning about matters regarding the administration work of the military regiments. This is by far one of the less thrilling training experiences for you as it doesn't involve you using your ODM gear. You imagine that just like what you saw Section Commander Lena does, you find being trapped in a desk every day stifling. It's always been that way even in your past life, and it's the reason you decided to enroll in your criminology course back then. You preferred an action-packed life, an adventurous one! But well of course your naivety failed you when you began learning that you must of course learn about the boring parts too. You sighed in resignation, thinking that this too would come to pass.

This administrative training involves the cadets staying on the bases of their respective regiments they have chosen for the rest of the cadet training. Their daily duties involved paperwork and learning from the jobs of the superior officers they have been assigned to and well, more paperwork. As the core purpose of the training entails, you must submit and process your enlistment to the superior officer who will train you. The good part is Section Commander Lena already handled that. All she asked of you was your basic information and some forms regarding your progress in the Cadet Corps. You and your friends have been so busy these days that you didn't have much time to catch up. But as Jina said, "It's alright we're all doing this for our careers after all. We must do our best to keep on!" You remember her saying that. You sigh thinking that Jina can be understanding of people.

Today is your first day, in Section Commander Lena's office. You finally arrived at the office she was designated on. Although it's not the main base of the Survey Corps, looking at their city branch did strike a chord in you. You look upon the building made out of seemingly ancient masonry to you a striking semblance of the buildings made in the Napoleonic Era. Although this isn't the first time you've been here, this is the first time you've gotten a clear look at the day. The logo of the Survey Corps flag, the "Wings of Freedom". You felt so many feelings attached to this flag alone almost indescribable to you but it makes you feel like you belong here all along.

Paperwork in hand, you entered the office to see people wearing the scouts' uniform going here and to wherever they needed to be. They all seem to be in charge of helping like a secretary job in the scouts. With your knowledge of the series from your past life, you figured that with the small number of soldiers enlisted in this regiment, the soldiers here may be reserves. Well probably. You navigate the familiar way towards Section Commander Lena's office. Now that you've taken a close look at the environment here you can't help but imagine that Section Commander Lena is quite an awesome and powerful woman to keep everyone here and everything here in order.

As soon as you arrive at the familiar door, you knock waiting for a response. "Come in." You hear her say. You slowly opened the wooden door as it made noises and took a small peek from the gap. You find Section Commander Lena's gaze piercing whoever was it that interrupted her focus, you. You decided to quickly no longer waste her time and entered the door. "Eve Cromwell ma'am at your service!" Upon recognizing that it was you, her expression softened. She has this feeling about her like how a warm loving aunt or a grandma would have from her when she looks at you like that. You can't help but feel welcomed in this strange world you're in.

Upon entering her office, you spotted Jina who was standing not too far from the door you just came from. Your eyes and Jina's eyes widened, recognizing each other with a smile. "Oh, so you know each other? Good. Let's make haste in teaching you these basics." She said resting her chin on her clasped fingertips. She did not skip a beat when she said she would be teaching you the basics on the first day. It took an entire afternoon to go through her daily paperwork. Guess, now you know why she was smiling at you softly like that. Rather than training you, she put you through work while teaching you. It's free labor!

The sun was nearly setting when you, Jina, and Section Commander Lena had finished today's paperwork. You're brain is nearly fried and no amount of tea will ever save you now! You look at your friend Jina and you're not surprised to see her exhausted as well. "Now that's all out of the way. I didn't choose you to finish boring paperwork." She smiled. "The truth is my work as Section Commander is originally to find talents, train the said talents, and create training plans for the Survey Corps. But because of unfortunate events, I have been moved here to this task. You had great potential in battle Eve, and I don't want to see such talent wasted inside the confines of an office." She then turns to face you, a hot cup of tea in hand. Her face is illuminated by the setting sun, it is only now that you realize that she has a hidden beauty beneath her scarred face. "I can train you to improve your skills but only to a limited extent." Upon hearing these words your face beamed in joy as if washing away all the stress you had for today. "We will still be doing minimum paperwork but we will focus on your training. Understood?" "Yes ma'am!" You made a salute. She then turns to look at Jina. "I'm not going to sugarcoat this but you're weak." Jina cast her gaze down upon hearing this comment in silence. "But you are wise and can motivate people through your kind words and leadership. With hard work, I can make you strong. Perhaps not as strong as your friend Eve but strong enough to survive outside the Walls." Section Commander Lena added, her words strict yet genuine.

"Now, you two are dismissed for today. Training starts tomorrow. Be early."

You and Jina exchanged tired looks and saluted Section Commander Lena before leaving.

*

"Wah, that was tiring. I never thought office work in a military administration could be complicated like that." Jina said with a tired voice her hand massaging her nape and shoulders from exhaustion. "I know right? It totally fried my brain especially the part we have to tally and audit the funds." You replied stretching your arms and then slumping your shoulders after. "And Section Commander Lena said that's just the funding for the uniforms she made for us as an example!" Jina added the thought of auditing and recording even more complicated funding like weapons, supplies, daily upkeep, and the rest is beyond her imagination. "Damn, that'd be the death of me. Neverending numbers." You say as you cross your arms behind you, resting your head against it. Jina laughs as she replies to your whining about numbers. "Eve I'm sure you'll do fine you're pretty smart when it comes to the arithmetic." You winced, these are just basic knowledge from your own world, and yet despite having that you still struggle. Jina however, "C'mon, says the natural?" You scoffed. It's pretty amazing that despite the poor education system that's usually only the privilege of those who can afford it, Jina managed to learn on her own. "You were quite good at it yourself not to mention how easily you spot the inconsistencies in the records." You added that you can't help but feel amazed at her skill in numbers. You imagine if Jina were in the world of your past life, she'd definitely become one of the top students in an accountancy course. All she needed from Section Commander Lena earlier was a little guidance and she was good to go.

Jina only smiled shyly at your compliments. "C'mon, Eve you're making me all embarrassed." She laughed shyly. "But it's the truth!" You insist. "How about this, once I become a squad leader or something, you be in my squad yeah? The two of us make one perfect pair!" You exclaimed having someone as reliable and kind as Jina around sure does seem like a breath of fresh air!

The two of you are still brain-fried from the office work you were put through, so an idea came to the surface. "Jina! want something good to eat? I have a dish in mind!" You say excitedly. You've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to bring modern dishes from your past life and this is one of them! You already did some snacks before but this one here is a dish! Jina's adorable eyes beamed in joy, "Sure that sounds good!" 

You entered the dorm lobby, and of course, as expected many of them were still stressed from their own office paperwork. You walk up to Kate who's equally stressed as you and Jina. "Kate, what do you say about cooking something together with me and Jina?" Kate was perplexed about this idea of yours but who would resist a hearty dish after work? "Of course!" She smiled agreeing immediately. "But well how about our ingredients?" Kayle, who was eavesdropping the moment he heard food. "I believe this is my cue," Kayle said almost theatrically. Well, it is indeed his cue but well. "Oh, you're one of the Top 10 who passed the Pre-Graduation Evaluation!" Jina exclaimed she was in awe seeing someone from the Top 10. "Damn right!" Kayle replied with confidence seemingly proud of the achievement. Well, he has every right to be he worked hard for it after all. "But I only managed to reach Top 5 unlike our Eve here." He added, "I think I stand for everyone when I thought you'd be in the top 3 or higher! I know it's late but, Congratulations." He says extending out his hand. You take his hand with a smile, "Likewise, you're not bad as well!" Kayle was in awe seeing you slice off the titan dummy heads from the nape up too! It's just his habit of looking up to strong people and learning from them. Though you don't seem to know that you did slice off titan dummy heads that way to him.

"Say, did you say you guys plan on cooking?" Kayle added changing the topic. "Yeah we were just discussing that and would share the food with the others but as you can see," Kate gestured to you and the others, "we don't have much ingredients, and using the ones in the kitchen would be against the rules." "I was just gonna say something about that Kate," You interjected. "We can hunt!" You say giving the idea to the rest. As if his ears were perking up, if they can, "I'll help!" Kayle says. "I have quite the knack for stealth movements." He proudly stated. You beamed thinking he'd be of great use to this hunting expedition of yours.

You and your small group of hunters prepared your hunting equipment as you ventured into the forest. The four of you filed a line and together crouched in position as soon as Jina found traces of an animal. A prey. Kayle gestured to stay quiet with his finger over his lips, "Shhh." Then he ordered you all to stealthily spread out to find and corner the animal. Soon your group spotted a boar. It's not big but it's not too small either. It's plump and all chubby and cute ready for the taking. You wiped your drooling as you imagined all the kinds of dishes you could cook with it. 

You signaled Kate and Jina to lure the poor and adorable boar towards Kayle who was lying in wait to attack. The three of you all moved in unison, alerting the boar as it escaped to the least dangerous direction to which there were no humans. Or so it thought.

Then a pig squealed as loud as it could when Kayle struck it with his blade. "Aha!" Proud of his victory over the boar he smiled. "Let's bring this back to the dorm and surprise everyone!" You say walking towards the boar as you help Kayle lift it. Kate rushed too, but it seemed Kate alone was enough to lift the boar by herself. You and Kayle muttered a "Woah." watching Kate lift that boar forever vowing again to never piss Kate off. 

As you and your group reached the dorm mess hall you heard exclaimed noises of your fellow cadets as Kate brings in a whole boar ready for slaughtering. "Ah Kayle, Kate could I trouble you two to chop the meat into bite-sized servings? I'll buy ingredients with Jina outside." You asked the two. "Sure no problem," Kayle replied with a smile as he went to the kitchen with Kate lifting the boar over her shoulder. You then went to the city with Jina buying ingredients with whatever's left of your savings. But with a boar that size, it should be enough. 

You and Jina rushed back to the dorm, as you prepared cooking soon. With Kayle, Kate, and Jina as your sous chef, you prepared the ingredients with them. "What are we gonna cook?" Kayle asked out of curiosity. Kate only smiled at him, "When you've been long enough with Eve, you get to taste all kinds of good snacks." Jina added, "They're all tasty I promise you!" Kayle's eyes widened at the faith Kate and Jina had for Eve as the three prepared the dinner in cooperation. He smiled to himself deciding to go along with you, "Alright what're your orders?" You nodded at Kayle's words. "First, Prepare the meat in a pot with 2 liter water, salt, and cloves of garlic. Boil meat for 30 minutes or until it is tender." You say and they all move following your instructions as you cook with them. "Second add soy sauce, peppercorn, sugar, and water (if needed). Let boil for about 5 minutes. Stir gently. Then finally, add the vinegar. Do not stir. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens." The instructions were short but cooking this takes a long time.

By the time you're done, you can smell the sweet and savory aroma of the dish you are cooking. You could hear the gurgling stomachs of Kate, Jina, and Kayle, they were tired, exhausted after all from office work and hunting. They looked over to the final result of this dish you guys worked together. "Eve! This smells delicious~" Jina hummed as she was this inch closer to tasting the dish. "Go on ahead try it." You say giving her a separate taste-testing serving. Kate and Kayle looked over as they watched Jina savor the meat dish as she cupped her cheeks with her hands in satisfaction. Cute. You thought. Before you could notice it some other cadets were already looking over brought by the appetizing smell of the dish you guys cooked. Upon seeing Jiina being rendered speechless by the dish Kate took the taste-testing serving from Jina while Kayle went to get his own taste-testing serving his eyes widening the moment he tasted the meat dish. "Eve, this is delicious! What do you call this?" Kate beams, "Oh well it's your everyday sweet meat stew dish but my family calls it adobo!" You say smiling proudly. "Well, it is delicious!" Kayle says as he tries to get more servings until you stop him. "We should share with everyone." You say gesturing to the other cadets peeking from the kitchen door. Adorable. You think. 

You, Kate, Jina, and Kayle served the adobo to some of your fellow cadets who were already in the mess hall. Your group picked a table to accommodate all of you and you ate with warm smiles on your faces. "Eve, didn't you say that this is your family recipe right? Your mother must be a good cook she taught you this?" Kayle asked as he stuffed his mouth full of the meat dish and rice. "Well yea, my mother is a good cook." You say your gaze softening, "But it was my father who taught me this dish." You added referring to the father you had from your homeworld.

I wonder how he is doing.

Ah, right I died. I hope he's doing okay.

Noticing your somber expression Jina interjected, "Well why don't we all visit your family when we have a vacation break?" She said with joy. "Didn't you say you're from Wall Maria?" Kate asked and you nodded, "That's actually nice my family is from there too. We could visit our families together!" Your eyes widened at their warm ideas, "But guys, I don't want to trouble you all!" You say touched, but you feel quite embarrassed having to take their time from their family bonding. Kayle placed down his spoon, "You missed them right? Then we'll take you to them and besides, if it means getting to eat more delicious foods like this, I'm up for it." Kayle said with a grin on his face. Your gaze softened at them it looked like you'd have no choice but to go on that vacation with them in your family home. "Sure! I'll write to them. I'm sure they'll like the idea." You smiled. 

You looked around and saw similar conversations on the other tables as your fellow cadets ate the sweet meat dish. Something like home struck a chord in you as you watched them eat together. The evening ended on a happy note as you all fell asleep soundly in your dorms. 

*

The sun will be rising in one hour and Section Commander Lena is patiently waiting for you and Jina in the training grounds of the Cadet Corps. She made the effort of going all the way from the city branch of the Survey Corps base to the Cadet Corps just to train you and Jina. Lena stood tall the morning dawn casting a shadow over her scarred features, her hair tied up for this occasion and her ODM gear ready and attached firmly to her waist. She just prepared the training materials you and Jina could use yesterday. 

You and Jina were both running to the training grounds. The two of you sped up faster the moment you saw Section Commander Lena waiting with her brows furrowed. Upon seeing you two she sighed before speaking, "Please don't be late next time." She said gently. You were grateful for her not being angry but you don't wanna push your luck either. "I'm sorry ma'am! We'll do better next time." Jina said in defense of you two as she caught up on her breaths. You only nodded while you caught your breaths as well.

"It's alright, I have faith that the two of you will push through and improve." She said smiling as she led you to the area of the training grounds. "Now I want you to show me your ODM maneuvering drills." She said gesturing towards the titan dummies. "Let's start with the basics." She added. You and Jina exchanged looks as you headed toward separate titan dummies, executing the basic drills just as Lena asked. She watched you and Jina closely before saying, "Jina, you propel yourself after reaching a near full circle you can gain even more speed this way while conserving gas." She said giving Jina pointers.  Jina listened closely and followed that lead. Lena watched you closely and you were done soon with the basic drill. "Again, Eve." Just as you thought you'd done a perfect job at the basic drills she made you repeat it again. Her voice was calm but soft as she helped you better your maneuvering skills. "If you try to shift your legs this way mid-air you'll be able to gain even more speed. Though, this requires incredible leg strength." Lena kept giving you pointers as you executed the drills. She made Jina repeat her basic drills as well and she gave her more pointers to improve her ODM maneuvering skills.

After you were done grasping the basic drills Lena only nodded with a smile on her face. You thought you were finished until she said, "Again, but this time do everything with the pointers I gave you." You and Jina repeated the basic drills to perfection just as Lena said. Meanwhile, Lena came back with tea and snacks for her, you and, Jina. "Break time." She said with a gentle smile.

You and Jina could never be more grateful to Lena for bringing you two much-needed snacks and break time. "I saw your drills earlier while on my way here. You two are doing great work." Lena said as she took a sip from her cup of tea. You have this feeling that just like those old kung-fu masters that take in disciples to pass on their arts that same trope you see in movies from your past lives, you suspect that Lena is doing the same thing for you and Jina.

Jina is special for sure but does that mean Section Commander Lena also sees something in me?

The break time did not last long as Lena urged you to proceed to the forest for the harder drills. Lena was very hands-on in teaching you and Jina. For a short while she'd engage in her ODM gear only to demonstrate to you and Jina her own moves. Because of your stats, your former training in your past life, and the training you've received now your body easily followed through Lena's demonstration with the least amount of attempts.

!

You heard a popping sound yet again, you landed on a nearby tree to take a break and also check your status window. You open the window to see if there's anything new and to your surprise there actually is!

Advanced ODM Maneuvering Skill (Passive)

Your eyes widened at this new skill. Dang, so that's how strong Section Commander Lena is? Just a whole day's tutoring from her and I already gained an Advanced ODM maneuvering skill from her? Your thoughts kept running when you suddenly thought. And someone like her is tucked away in the financial duties of the Survey Corps? You can't help but frown at this inconsistency.

While you were checking out your status window, Section Commander Lena was watching you space out. "Eve, are you alright? Do you need a break?" She asked in a calm voice and you snap out of your thoughts. "Ah yes ma'am, I'm doing fine just catching a break is all." You reply. You notice Jina landing on the spot beside you asking you the same thing. You insisted that you're only taking a short break. "Well, I guess that means we're done for today." Section Commander Lena said as she dismissed you and Jina. The three of you landed in the training grounds when Lena asked you with a curious expression and a soft smile. "You did well today Eve." "Ah, it's nothing, ma'am. It's due to your excellent guidance." You replied sincerely. "By the way Eve," Section Commander Lena paused. "You have pretty eyes. Do your eye colors change like that just like earlier?" Section Commander Lena asked. You muttered an "Eh?" and you couldn't really reply having no idea what that question meant. Seemingly aware that you really have no idea that your eye color does change she decided to drop the the question, "It's nothing I just haven't seen anyone's eyes do that. I find it pretty." She said with her usual gentle smile.

You smiled to yourself thankful that she became your superior officer. But then again what was that question about? My eye colors change? That sounds awesome really, like those I see in anime or movies. You amused yourself with such thoughts as you and Jina walked your way back to the dorm.

Weeks passed and your training and office administration training were scheduled interchangeably. Section Commander Lena did not hold back training you and Jina. Before you know it Jina drastically improved under Lena's guidance. She just might enter the Top 10 at her level!  You thought, thinking that you should not slack off too.

You watch Lena eat her snacks and drink her tea, "Is there something on my face?" She asked her eyes speaking with genuine curiosity. "Er, nothing ma'am! Just wondering why are you putting so much effort into training us." You say genuinely wondering. You were expecting a reply something like she saw potential in you two and only wanted affirmation that you actually had potential in you. Lena pondered for a moment before replying, her gentle and calm countenance looked so beautiful against the setting sun. The scars on her face paired with her Survey Corps army green uniform as she sat relaxed drinking tea made her look like someone strong, reliable, and someone who'll protect her subordinates. You felt safe in her presence. "Well, it'd be a shame to see you two die." She said curtly with a small smile on her face. Contrary to your expectations she'd reply with something like your potential she said she just doesn't want to see you and Jina die. What's that supposed to mean? "Keep your focus Eve." She said, interrupting your thoughts in their tracks as she indulged in her snacks and tea while sitting on her chair. You resigned and focused back on your training.

Year 839

Status: (Eve)

STR: 123
AGI: 70
DEX: 96
HP: 60/60
CONCENTRATION: 70
LEADERSHIP: 29
DEF: 20

Status: (Jina)

STR: 38
AGI: 30
DEX: 40
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 50
LEADERSHIP: 36
DEF: 28

Status: (Kate)

STR: 60
AGI: 49
DEX: 81
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 35
LEADERSHIP: 30
DEF: 88

Status: (Kayle)
STR: 61
AGI: 53
DEX: 40
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 73
LEADERSHIP: 35
DEF: 10

[Note: An average soldier's stats would range from 30-40 while a normal man's stats would range from 10-29. Common stat limit 100.]

1