Episode 9: Beyond the Four Corners of the House
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
|TW: Implied Abuse, Child Abuse

You are awoken by a shrill ringing of a bell. The cold bit your cheeks as soon as you woke up. Quickly, you got up and hit your head against the bunk bed above you in the process. "Morning Eve, Jina," Kate greets you two still yawning from her bed above you. You look out to the window and see a Cadet Corps officer actively banging the army bell outside the training grounds. You groaned, your head still throbbing. It was nice that you three were assigned to the same room. It made it less awkward for you. You all got up quickly and you saw the other girls in the dorm rushing themselves to prepare for the morning. You did as well continuing your daily routine. You quickly got dressed in your uniform and coat. You got out of the dorm with Kate and Jina following you.

The ground beneath you was cold as it was covered with thin patches of snow and the vapor from each cadet breathing into the cold air made the air seem all the more colder. You get into the formation along with the others while you wait for the Instructor to check his papers. Soon the cadets are grouped into five people each. The training will begin as soon as the cadets have finished their breakfast. You joined your friends in the mess hall before the training began. "I miss Eve's cooking," Kate sighs as she sets down her plate on the table with a thud. "I agree, just thinking about it makes me hungrier," Kayle adds while Jina interjects. "Why don't we all cook again after this training ends then?" That just gave you an idea, "Ah actually why don't we all fix something up before we graduate huh?" You say placing your hand on Jina and Kayl who sat on your side. "Ah, that sounds nice! I think I'd love to have some chicken." Jina says giving you a myriad of possible modern dishes from your past life. "I'd have that wild boar meat any day!" Kate adds into the suggestion pot, "With the amount of meat in the list I'd like some salad or anything vegetable in place." Kayle adds insisting we should all have a healthy balanced diet. You smile to yourself imagining a feast before you and your friends. "Alright let's all go pool in with the ingredients this time alright?" You say with a soft smile.

The breakfast ended well fast. You still have training to complete and a soldier must always exercise discipline at all times. To your gratitude, you are grouped with Kate, Jina, Kayle, and Henning.  You don't know the other one but you are glad that he seemed strong and able to survive. As for the leader of this group, Kayle was assigned to lead you all. Your group is to tie a dyed fabric to mark the place you've already visited. Not only for the purpose of not getting lost but for the Cadet Corps officers to acknowledge your work later on. The training began without further ado and your group made them on the target spots within the map.

With a map in hand, he navigated through the woods with Kate and Jina's help. While the three were navigating the next course of destination, your group decided to set camp at a nearby cave. You were more of a DPS type so you just let them do the navigating part while you look out for any helping clues and hunt with Henning. Henning is a reliable soldier although he's a bit older than you he was nonetheless still the same batch. He kept a level head whilst you were hunting. Just like Jina, He also came from Wall Rose. For the most part, he was here as they were obligated by the social norms of the country to enlist. 

As you hunt, you pick up any possible firewood that your group can use later to stay warm. "That's a good idea, Cromwell. I totally forgot the firewood." Henning says as he scratches the back of his head with an embarrassed face. "It's alright we should all work together after all." You reply picking some more firewood. Henning approaches you two with two medium-sized bird games. Your eyes widened in surprise. "Thank you, Henning, I knew we could count on you." You say taking some of the firewood from him to ease his burden. "Thanks," He says as he hands you over the firewood. "It's no problem. My family hunted for a living in Wall Rose." "Well, ain't that come in handy." You say smiling at your new group members, hoping to form an amicable relationship with them. "Well, we should probably go back to our camp." You say lifting the lot of firewood you have with ease. Henning opened his mouth to tell you that you should let him lift some of the firewood but then stopped when he saw that you could just lift the firewood with ease on your own.

*

Kayle was from a family with a bit of noble blood. His father rejoiced to hear that his second son enlisted in the army.  Whether it was because of honor or to avoid competition with his heir, it didn't matter much. Kayle's father was happy when he set his son off to train in the Cadet Corps anyway. As someone of noble birth, Kayle received a quality education that most people wouldn't have. So that he wouldn't shame the Altmann House. As such Kayle is doing his best right now not to shame that family name. He skillfully navigated around the woods and led his group as he referenced from the map. He was surprised that despite her social status, Jina was able to use maps and even calculate the days traveled for the distance necessary with such ease and not so much a thought. Because of Jina's contribution, he was able to map and plan out their destination more properly. She couldn't have been able to receive a quality education like nobles do so how was she able to do it? Kayle thought, his eyes widened as he watched Jina help him and Kate. He thought that this was probably the reason Section Commander Lena of the Survey Corps took Jina in to train her, it's because Jina is skilled at things like these. "That's amazing Jina, where'd you learn that?" He finally asked out of curiosity. "Well things were boring at home when I was a child so," She trails off shyly, "I read the books at home. The more it took up my time the better." She then added. "That's amazing Jina, so you were self-taught?" Kate interjected and Jina nodded shyly as an answer. "Woa, with your skills in numbers you could get yourself a good job of being a technician inside the walls!" Kayle adds and Kate agrees. "Are you still set on the Garrison job?" Kate asked. "Well yea sort of. I'm still thinking about it." She then says, confusion is apparent in her eyes as she speaks. Kayle placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder, "It's alright you still have more than six months at least to decide where you want to go." 

It was only then that you arrived with Henning and Martin bringing with you firewood and hunted game that the three beamed a smile. "Now, that's what I'm talking about!" Kate beams excited at your cooking, "Unfortunately Kate I didn't bring any seasonings with me. Sorry," You said with a shy smile. Upon hearing your reasons Kate momentarily had a disappointed expression, she then resigned with a sigh. "That's sad but just meat is okay too." She said with a small smile.

Soon, the night fell. The pine trees surrounded the cave your group stayed in. They tower over you majestically as the snow falls from the barely visible sky. Your group went inside the cave to set up a fire for the six of you, keeping each other warm as you all ate the roasted bird meat. The ground was cold but thanks to your coat and the sleeping bag you brought, you were warm. You can hear some insects chirp as the night goes deeper, humming you to sleep.

You open your eyes to Jina who is waking you up. "Eve, let's go. It's almost dawn." She says as she shakes your lying figure. "Good morning Jina," you say, your voice seemingly hoarse from the cold. You got up to see Kayle just getting up too, Kate waking him up and Henning already packing up his things. There's not much to eat for breakfast so you and the others only eat the rations you brought with you for times like these. It didn't take long for your group to gather themselves and set out. With Kayle leading the group toward the destination, your group trekked the snowy mountains for 2 more days. It was nothing short of exhausting and you miss the real bed. You sighed as you pushed onward. This was the purpose of the training, it was to hone your endurance, and determination, and test your survival skills. If anything this feels a lot more like an exam than a training but you have to suck it up and push forward anyways. After all, you promised your mentor, Lena that you will rise to the Top 10. 

The sun rises as it graces its beautiful light upon your skin. To be fair, the sunlight here is more warming than scalding compared to the sun in your past life. So you decided to enjoy a bit of vitamin D. The sun rising as if on cue to when your group had just reached a mountain peak, the same sunlight illuminating the towering walls as you look at the scenic view of nature. The warmth of the sun in contrast to the snow-covered mountains, and plains before you. Vapor appears around your warm cheeks as you breathe out in exhaustion. Taking in this scenic view.

Meanwhile just as your group is drinking the same ethereal view before you, Jina speaks up her long blond hair dances against the soft cold wind as she walks onward only stopping at the beautiful scene. Her eyes glimmer in wonder and in hope.

*

Jina spends most of her days within the corners of her family home. Her late mother's study was the only place she found solace in.  As a young girl, she would come and lounge at her late mother's study reading the materials, books, and everything that was there. Her late mother as mentioned earlier, was a Military Police Brigade member. She learned many things regarding a soldier's duty there with the warm guidance of her late mother's handwriting, and her way of writing and it would feel to Jina that her late mother was speaking to her. It was like a love letter for Jina from her mother and Jina learning more about her mother. Despite the mistreatment she receives, Jina is grateful for her father that they did not yet burn, or remove her late mother's office. For Jina, that's a very thoughtful gift from her father. As time passed, she came to idolize her mother as a soldier and that's what made her want to be a soldier and enlist in the military. She read again and again he late mother's notes as she is determined to join the Military Police. 

Until, her spiteful step-sister got rid of her late mother's notes, destroying the office. The only memory of her mother she had. Jina was of course devastated, while her father let her step-sister's actions slide with a slap on the wrist. Which very much reminded her of the apparent corruption of the MPs. Regardless, she still wanted to join that regiment. Jina's father caught wind of Jina wanting to join the MPs all due to her step-sister's blabbering. The MPs is a very prestigious military brigade that serves the king it should bring great honor to their family and yet, why does her father's gaze look so stern as he forbids her, "Don't ever think about joining the Military Police ever again!" This puzzled Jina from what she could gather there was an apparent corruption written in he mother's notes. Is that the reason why Father forbids me so? It shouldn't matter much to him if I don't go against any nobles that might bring our family ruin. As meek as Jina is, she is also stubborn. Her father's lack of explanation to him forbidding her daughter to join the MPs wasn't ever even enough to stop Jina even if there was a reasonable explanation because deep down unbeknownst to Jina, joining the MPs is the only way to get closer to her late mother.

Which is why she's just as disappointed that she didn't make the cut for the Top 10 in the Pre-Graduation Evaluation. Even so, it doesn't seem like she was giving up. 

But for some reason, just as she was trekking on her way up the snowy mountains she found something that made her resolve to join the MPs waver. Her entire body was shaking, and her breath gasping as she made her way to take in the beautiful scenery before her. If there was such beautiful scenery beyond the cramped walls of her home. If her father's refusal of her joining the MPs, her stepmother and stepsister's mistreatment of her did not stop her from going out and being free. What's really stopping her from seeing more beautiful things beyond these gargantuan walls? Damned it be those corrupts in the MPs, they know nothing of the outside and refused to fight outside as they oppress and prey on those beneath them. This however is the opposite description of that. For Jina, this meant, freedom.

The stark contrast of the warm sunlight against the pure white snow, the bluish sky turning to a visible shade of purple and red as it reached the sun's crown was nothing short of extraordinary to Jina. 

It's so pretty...

As her eyes marvel at the view before her she makes a decision she never thought she would,
"I want to join the Survey Corps."

840,

Status: (Eve)

STR: 125
AGI: 73
DEX: 96
HP: 60/60
CONCENTRATION: 70
LEADERSHIP: 30
DEF: 20

Status: (Jina)

STR: 45
AGI: 39
DEX: 40
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 62
LEADERSHIP: 37
DEF: 30

Status: (Kate)

STR: 61
AGI: 49
DEX: 81
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 35
LEADERSHIP: 31
DEF: 89

Status: (Kayle)
STR: 62
AGI: 53
DEX: 49
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 75
LEADERSHIP: 36
DEF: 10

Status: (Henning)
STR: 70
AGI: 55
DEX: 50
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 56
LEADERSHIP: 28
DEF: 22

1

[Note: An average soldier's stats would range from 30-40 while a normal man's stats would range from 10-29. Common stat limit 100.]

1