Episode 10: Bauklötze
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Say what again?' You thought. You wondered if Jina changed her mind, but so suddenly?
"I thought you said you wanted to join the Garrison Regiment?" You asked seeking Jina's confirmation. Jin only turns to face you and the rest of your group, her face full of hope and wonder. It's as if her smile made the scene more ethereal and beautiful, "I changed my mind," She says as she cast her gaze down with a small smile, "This time, I've decided I wanted to join the Survey Corps." She says as she turns to look back at the scenic view of the sunrise.

You sighed, that expression on Jina's was definitely new to you. She's always been timid, and self-doubting, with some bouts of brief determination, along with her great analytic skills but this expression on her is something new to you. It's one filled with hope and dreams. You didn't want to take it away from her even if it meant going through somewhere dangerous.

"What?! Jina you got to be crazy," Kate exclaimed she lowered her voice mid-way as she didn't want to raise her voice at Jina. Kayle rubbed his temples as he swept the bangs off his face, "You guys are crazy, do you really want to die so much?" Kate adds, "The death rates of the Survey Corps are by far the highest ever since." She added with worry in her tone. 

"Kate is right," You say after a long while, "It'll be difficult surviving on our own there even for me," You lie, you're obviously going to use the "System" and its mechanics to kill more of those titans and be even stronger. But then again, Jina doesn't have that. "Then what about you Eve?" Jina snaps back at you, "Aren't you also going to join the Survey Corps?" She added her face now turning into a frown. Jina sure does show a lot of new expressions today huh. You sighed in resignation, "Yes, I am."

But Eve is different, she's a lot stronger than any of us! Kate and Kayle thought, but couldn't tell Jina.

"I too will join the Survey Corps," Henning says in a low voice as he walks towards you and your friends. "This seems like a conversation between friends, I apologize for interrupting." He added you and Kayle only nodded allowing him to speak further while Kate looked down. Henning might just be the oldest in your group, but his level-headedness in cooperating under a group filled with kids speaks volumes about the respect he's given you and your group. Something tells you that you should also give him the same respect.  Henning continues, "I believe each of us has their own reasons, for wanting to join the Survey Corps, for the majority of those in the Survey Corps including a cadet like me, I will join to fight for a cause for humanity's sake." He says in a low but a voice filled with resolve. Something about the vibe in this conversation knocked you awake to the grim reality of the Survey Corps and the place beyond those walls. Maybe it's because you're a transmigrator, or maybe because of the system, or maybe the fact that you had yet to actually let this all sink in as the new reality that you've been treating everything like a game quest. Henning's words almost dragged you out of that mindset that you didn't want to accept.

"Eve, how about you? What's your reason for joining the Survey Corps?" You did not answer, you bit your lip as you looked down averting his gaze. You didn't have those grand or noble reasons at all. Your first thought the first time you arrived in this world was that you wanted to join the Survey Corps to meet your favorite characters. What a joke. Yes, you're a joke. While everyone is dreaming about something, while everyone is laying their lives down for the greater good, for everyone within these walls including you, all you're thinking of is such a stupid reason? Your reasons weigh far less and are far more selfish compared to theirs. You hung your head low in shame.

Jina, Kate, and Kayle only looked at you with mixed expressions. Confused, knowing, and grim expressions as they watch you display such a conflicted and serious expression. This was a new side of you they'd be seeing. Henning then turned to Jina catching her off-guard as she flinched, "How about you Jina? I'm sure you have a reason yourself why you changed your mind, right?" Henning asked Jina only for her to look down and nod after a long while. Kayle and Kate looked at you and Jina, "You guys..." Kayle said under his breath as he looked at your faces with somber expressions. For him, you who is always so unpredictable with your words, your strength, skill, actions, or even things you come up with, not to mention your relaxed and smug attitude at training. For someone like you, to join the Survey Corps does sound like you. Unpredictable. He had thought that as you were quite competitive and strong aiming for the Top 10, he thought you'd join the Military Police Brigade. As for Jina, he had always thought that with her intelligence, timid personality, kind heart, and unyielding determination, he thought that Jina would either join the Garrison Regiment or the technicians in Wall Sina. But to think that both of you would join the Survey Corps caught him off guard. In the back of his mind, it is a strike to his ego as well.

To think that I... a man, would cower within the walls when there's two strong women right here who'd go to the frontlines...

Kayle is ashamed of himself, to say the least, he had thought of joining the Garrison Regiment, and if he's lucky he would've joined the Military Police. But never of joining the Survey Corps. When every man and woman in the Survey Corps faced their fears to dedicate themselves for the sake of humanity's progress... even if there's none at all while he's choosing to cower in the safety of the inner walls... is such a strike to him as a person who believed himself to be competent, upright and as a man.


"I'll join the Survey Corps too." 

Kayle finally said, there's an undercurrent of fear in his eyes but also courage. "Don't get me wrong, I didn't speak up just so I could shame you for your career choices. There's nothing wrong with wanting to live in stability." Henning spoke looking at Kayle, "We all do things for a reason and a lot of it is a reason to keep on going, a reason to live. I believe that those in the Survey Corps are the same, they fought at their own expense so that we can live. They didn't go there to die but they go out there so that we could live." Henning emphasized his point further. He then looks at you and your friends, "So there's no shame in whatever careers you wanted to choose because we all do it to live." He says, leaving a loud silence in its wake as the sun continues to rise and dawn shines over everyone as if it's on cue.

You don't know if it's the bright light and warmth of the sunrise, or if it's Henning's speech, but you feel hopeful for some odd reason. Maybe because you feel as though you've been absolved of your embarrassing reason for joining the Survey Corps or because the fallen who have dedicated their hearts have not died in vain after all. You gave a small smile, "Thank you Henning-san." "Eh? I-I didn't mean to preach to you guys like that." He says as he averted his gaze from you with a shy smile. "I mean it Henning-san," you say your eyes having a faraway look on them. "I mean who's to say that these Walls will never break? If no one chooses the job in the Survey Corps what will we all have left then?" You added then a grim silence followed your words. "Yea, you're right Henning-san. Thank you for those words, yours too Eve." Kate said. She was quiet for a while before finally speaking you assume that Henning-san's words had gotten to her or must've affected her in some way but chose not to say anything. "Just thinking of that alone sounds like the scariest thing ever." She said as she tried to sweep away the unnerving imaginary situation you just proposed. Although she doubts that these walls will break anytime soon you did make a good point. Jina thought so too as well, nobody can say that these walls will remain strong for eternity or will they break at some point. If so, when? Then that would be the time that skilled soldiers not just in the Survey Corps but all over the military would be needed.

As for Kate, she had this thought that for a long time, if the Survey Corps had indeed dedicated their lives for the sake of humanity and with that same humanity doing their very best to disband the Survey Corps sounds like a cruel irony to her. The fact that they in the Cadet Corps have been training their best in ODM maneuvering only for everyone to urge each other to choose a safe job within the inner walls sounded like a weird joke to Kate. Truthfully all Kate cared about was her family in Wall Maria and her friends here in the Cadet Corps but if it is as you say, that the Walls might break, then the first victims will be...

Those in Wall Maria...

Kate felt goosebumps rise from every inch of her body as she thought of her family and everything she knew and once loved. She had to somehow protect her family! 

Calm down, Kate. You're getting overwhelmed over an imagined situation. Kate thought as she tried to steady herself down with a sigh. "Alright, count me in too." Kate then said as she made a step forward. "You too Kate? No, I didn't mean to drag you guys into this." You say telling Kate to not be pressured to choose the same because of your choices and reasons. 

"It's what I think Eve. If what you say is right then, there'll be no one out there left to protect our families. I don't want to risk that." She says as she looks in the direction of her hometown in Wall Maria. You resigned at her words, your eyes widened at her reasons. Yes, she's right. I am the same after all. You thought.

The mountain exercise and the second phase of the training ended upon the cadets' completion of these trainings. Six months had passed, and the second phase was indeed tedious so much so that you had to sing a few modern songs to ease the boredom of you and your team, and to your surprise, it did liven up the atmosphere and the riding and recon exercise ended smoothly.

*

Year 841,

A few months after the training camp has ended, and you and the rest of the cadets are now back in Cadet Corps headquarters. The morning routine since then consisted of rigorous training activities that the cadets including you participated in willingly. Graduation is really close just a few months in. Meanwhile, as everyone is busy training you decided it'll be the time for you to accept a job from your mentor Lena. You can't afford to waste any more time. Just as you were about to head out you noticed your parents' letter from before. Maybe around the summer of this year, your mother is already in the last stages of her pregnancy. You decide to write a reply, sitting down on the wooden chair as your fingertips reach for the quill and paper. In your letter, you tell them all the adventures you had during your training then, you invited your parents and your baby sibling in the winter of 844. Saying you have a celebration of sorts or something, any excuse at all, and that you'll take care of their lodgings in Wall Rose. You also informed them that a friend of yours and their family will be on the same vacation too. Just so you could take them inside Wall Rose.

You folded your letter with a sigh. I hope they visit for a "vacation" at least. Then the commotion in Wall Maria will lock them inside the Wall Rose. For good. You thought, cementing your plan further. You hoped that this time they'd listen at least. With a sigh, you got up and tucked your letter in the pockets of your jacket. No one was outside the lobby when you walked out, everyone was busy training outside. You clutched the dark hooded cape wrapped around you, to avoid suspicion you left your ODM gear but kept your belt straps on. 

It was a sunny morning outside, winter was nearing its end and spring was about to come. Everyone is busy training outside so you took this chance to sneak out. With your AGI and DEX stats, you were able to sneak past the guards with ease taking advantage of the trees and their blindspots. Lucky for you, the lax security in the Cadet Corps made it all the more easier for you, although you're not sure had it been someone skilled like, Instructor Wittman or Section Commander Lena.

You traveled off-trail first closely following the road but in the protection of the trees and the dark to hide your presence. It was a lot of effort considering you had to keep your focus all the time. Hypervigilance no longer becomes your thing the more you get stronger which is why you had to take your time to get yourself reaccustomed to the training you had in the criminology course in your past life.

You soon arrived at the city, at this point, you no longer had to don your hood. Doing so would only make you look more suspicious in this crowd. You did not waste any more time going to Section Commander Lena's office. 

"Section Commander," You called from the other side of the door and you heard a "Come in," from her urging you to open the door. You walked in listening to the quietness of the thud your boots make. This is it you try your best to make the "cool" impression of those spy movie protagonists you watched from your past life. "I've come for the job," You say but for Section Commander Lena you look all the more weird than you are now. She gave you a small laugh after taking a look at you. You would've thought people from this world would at least take your theatrics seriously but you guess your mentor Lena has something else in mind. "Relax it's nothing that serious," She says waving her hand at you, "But I must tell you that this is a covert operation. So proceed with caution." She continues as she rummages files from her desk's drawer, "That said I believe this is a bit far too easy for you so you don't need to put on that face." She says thinking you're acting like a rookie again taking things too seriously. 

You broke away from your theatrics in embarrassment which counted as relief in your mentor's eyes. You look at the paper she took from her drawer. "Here there's a human trafficking ongoing around the outskirts of Trost," She then continues, "All you have to do is rescue the people in this wagon that will arrive in the next few hours, the driver is a man named Flavon." She then lays out a man's hand-drawn face sketch. "Rescue the people and bring them to a subordinate of mine waiting at this tavern." She says handing you the details and some code for the tavern. "Memorize it," She says and you squint your eyes to read what it says.

[Earlier, my horse got scared of the rats underneath its hooves.]

"Good?" She says, and you nodded. She then proceeded to get up from her seat and burned the note on the fireplace. "Tell that to the bartender as you try to order some drink. Order my favorite strawberry mead." She added. Her burning the note only tells you that you must not write down any of the details of this mission you must remember everything in place. With your theatrics, you're confident you could pull that off in a passing casual conversation with a bartender. You were in deep thought when you did not realize she was rummaging. She then took out a wrapped stack of what you guess is a thicker version of paper and handed it to you. "Those are identity passes. You will rescue a total of seventeen people." She says not giving you any more details as she smiles, "Is this, slavery?" You ask clearly not referring to yourself or the job. "Yes, it is. They are people from the underground. A notorious noble from Wall Sina, Ruedi Schwarz has been "buying" people from the underground for his own twisted pleasures. There are rumors of corpses being brought out from his private villa, where these said slaves are being killed by torture. The seventeen people from this wagon are mostly young boys and some older females." Lena says, her expression, serious. You can tell from that information that this Ruedi is some twisted sadistic pervert who deserves to die. "Don't do anything reckless, a minor noble he may be but all nobles will take it an offense to their pedigree should any of us commoners make a move against them. Focus on your mission." As if reading your thoughts she stopped you in your tracks. "Did anyone see you going here?" She asks, wary of you making a mistake. "Nah, I don't think so ma'am." You say recounting in your head the journey you took to get here. 

"Alright, meet with my subordinate at the tavern first and cooperate with him." She then says as she looks out to the window, "Oh, and use that ODM gear I prepared for you. You might need it." She then says pointing to the ODM gear placed neatly on the tea table. You swiftly attached the gear to your waist and checked it once and then twice that everything was secure. You made sure to remove your cadet uniform and only wore your casual clothes and your dark cape. "It's alright if I leave these here right?" You ask turning to face Section Commander Lena. "Yes, of course, it'll be right here where you left it." She replied, her voice serene. You folded your cadet uniform in place and turned to ask Lena again, "How much is the compensation?" "Don't worry the pay will be handsome. I'll make sure it's worth your while." She says as she looks at you over her shoulder with a smile. "Alright," you say with a cheery tone. "I'll be off then." You say waving as you walk away. 

Status: (Eve)

STR: 125
AGI: 73
DEX: 96
HP: 60/60
CONCENTRATION: 70
LEADERSHIP: 30
DEF: 20

Status: (Jina)

STR: 45
AGI: 39
DEX: 40
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 62
LEADERSHIP: 37
DEF: 30

Status: (Kate)

STR: 61
AGI: 49
DEX: 81
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 35
LEADERSHIP: 31
DEF: 89

Status: (Kayle)
STR: 62
AGI: 53
DEX: 49
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 75
LEADERSHIP: 36
DEF: 10

Status: (Henning)
STR: 70
AGI: 55
DEX: 50
HP: 100/100
CONCENTRATION: 56
LEADERSHIP: 28
DEF: 22

[Note: An average soldier's stats would range from 30-40 while a normal man's stats would range from 10-29. Common stat limit 100.]

1