Episode 11: ‘Strawberry Mead’
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
|TW: Implications of rape, sexual abuse, graphic violence, murder

Was it a tavern or an inn?  You thought as you walked toward the establishment you remembered you were instructed to go to. You tapped your boots on the doorstep dusting off any dirt that might brush off on the indoor floors. A habit you developed ever since your transmigration here, rooted in your old habits from your past life and your utter disgust at their wanton disregard for basic hygiene. Alas, to your disappointment, the floorboards were coated with dust, grime, and mud the first thing you spot as you opened the door. You shudder to think what else could there be mixed in that mud. It looked so uncomfortable to step on so you made a wide step over the said thick patch of filth. 

However, it seems that your sensitivity to such things made you stand out more. Ah, naur the mission. You were explicitly told that this is a covert operation. You didn't expect that you'd fail the moment you set your literal first step in this operation. You sighed. Ugh, I don't care anymore. You thought as you sighed walking towards the counter. The bartender smiles at you, "First time being here, miss?" He says as he sorts out whatever bartending equipment he has beyond that counter. You decided that'd be the best kind of conversation, to begin with. You start to flash the most charismatic of your gazes and the most mysterious of your smiles. Well, at least that's how you view this expression of yours, "Ah yes, I was supposed to meet someone cute here, but then earlier, my horse got scared of the rats underneath its hooves." You scratched the back of your head in theatric frustration as you continued, "Then she freaked out on me, I almost fell off. Really ruined my day." You say displaying a slight frown on your face. The moment you spoke those words, the bartender's eyes widened but since he doesn't know you, he decided to play that off. Maybe offering you a drink to help soothe your frustrations should confirm things. "Ah, maybe you should get a nice drink to get you back on track for your date? I'll give you a discount for a pretty lady like you." He says now preparing his equipment, flashing you a grin. Well, he is a bartender alright.  You thought to yourself, "I'll have a glass of strawberry mead please," You say with a soft smile. That confirms it, she must've sent this person here. The bartender thought before smiling, "Alright one moment, please. Feel free to wait on a table you're comfortable in." The bartender says with a smile and you turn to look at any available tables. You could've sworn you felt these people stare at you, the newbie of this place, but for some reason, they're all minding their business now talking amongst each other. You pay them no mind and decide to sit at a two-person table overlooking the view of the rest of the tavern. 

The dimly lit room provides a warm or orange light making the ambience so warm and cozy as the lights reflect the wooden tables and chairs. Well, at least the tables and chairs are clean. You watched the people talk, drink, and laugh until your gaze fell on the bartender who left to the backdoor of his counter. Later, he arrived with a glass in hand. He then continued preparing your drink. You had your guesses based on what you learned from your criminology course, regarding how they're going to handle your presence but that's just about it, guesses. The same can't be applied to this world at all times after all.

But maybe I can apply the core principles and make it as flexible for this world.

You were interrupted from your musings when a pretty reddish and pinkish drink with strawberry bits in a pretty glass was placed before you. It was the bartender. "Here's your drink, strawberry mead." He says with a smile and you flash an equally small smile as well.

Interesting, instead of  "Here's your drink, a strawberry mead." or "Here's your strawberry mead." He chose to say, "Here's your drink, strawberry mead." 

That just might confirm that this specific drink is indeed a code name of sorts. And Section Commander Lena who uses this "drink" is definitely a member of whatever this organization is. 

Now the plot thickens,

You enjoyed the drink in your hand, the sweet and cool taste of the strawberries just fills your mouth. My mentor did choose the best drink there is, didn't she? Before you know it, you are halfway finishing your drink, when a blonde middle-aged man walks up to you. He looks a wee bit older for your tastes though as signs of aging are displayed on the sides of his eye. He wears casual clothes and a grayish sweater over it, paired with his white pants. Most importantly his shoes, his shoes are clean and well taken care of. He sits in front of you sharing your table. The invasion of your personal bubble isn't really welcome but you're in the middle of the mission so you only looked at him. "I'm told that I was someone cute? I didn't know I still had it at this age." He says giving a small laugh, you flinched and your ears suddenly became as red as your drink. You suddenly remembered that seductive acting you put on earlier and now you're even more embarrassed. The man laughs at your reaction, "Jokes aside, you seem like a capable person. Did she send you here?" The man asked. You're still wary of this man despite his warm and welcoming personality so you only replied, "Yes, strawberry mead did." Do your best to keep your mentor's identity as secret as possible. The man chuckled, "She did send someone capable." He says satisfied with your answer, you did not even confirm any name or gender that would point to Lena. Needless to say, you're not that dumb at least. "Come, the information regarding the wagon's refugees must be kept secret." He says in a low voice standing up. Hearing the information from him, verifying that he's not an enemy, you got up as well, downing the rest of your drink. You walked up to the bartender, giving him the pay for your drink as you and the man walked out of the tavern.

He leads you to a secret alleyway, turning to this corner and that corner. You're glad that you have your ODM gear with you so that you can escape should it become necessary. You kept a safe distance as you followed the man with your hands on guard ready to reach for your hand grips should anything happen. You soon arrived at a three-story home he led you inside, and your apprehension became more and more apparent. "I understand you don't trust us but don't worry I'll head in first." He says, as he opens the door and goes in by himself first. You followed the man carefully. 

The moment you stepped in you heard another man who had dark hair leaning on the wall on the far left hiss, "Eckhart-san, that's an outsider." He looks at you from head to toe, he's clearly suspicious of you. The man who led you here called Eckhart, smiled before saying, "Calm down, 'she' sent her." He says. Another man who had long blonde hair tied together as it flowed down from his shoulders was there this one looking rather timid as he remained in his seat, Now that's a cute guy, You thought. "If she sent her, that must mean..." He says his gaze cast down, looking somber. Eckhart only replied, "Mhm... that's why we must work together, tearing each other apart isn't gonna help this mission." "Excuse me, care to tell me what's going on?" You ask, warry, on guard, as you put your hands in your pockets. "Ah apologies, my name is Eckhart. I'm a subordinate of Lena's" The blonde middle-aged man says putting his hand over his chest as he introduces himself, he then gestures to the cute guy, "This is my younger brother, Stefan. He may be not useful in battles but he's pretty much our brain." The beautiful man named Stefan smiles warmly at you the wisps of his long blonde hair sways as he waves at you. Damn, why didn't he get any screen time in the series? You thought, captivated by the charisma of the man before you. "And that guy over there is, Udo. He and his lover work as informants around these parts. His lover, Heidi is currently out sniffing intel for us." Eckhart continues. "And you're their leader?" You ask trying to maintain a calm expression as you lean by the door frame. Stefan interjects, "Pretty much, my brother keeps this group together in Lena's absence." He says with a smile. "What exactly are you people?" Upon your question, Udo scoffed looking at Eckhart, "Are we really letting this little girl in on this? She doesn't look like someone smart enough or useful enough." He then looks at you, "This isn't a place for little girls to play house alright?" He says you feel his gaze get under your skin, scrutinizing each and every part of you for flaws. "Watch your tongue, old man. I might just cut that. Besides, I didn't come here to mingle with you, I have a mission to complete." You say, your voice sharp being every bit as straightforward and as concise as you were in your criminology course. 

"Calm down Udo," Eckhart says, with a gentle smile. "Lena wouldn't send her here if she's not skilled nor ready. Besides, I believe Lena is up to something sending her here." Eckhart continues. Stefan only nodded in agreement as he picked up a teacup containing some herbal tea. Every move he makes is nothing short of elegant as he sips tea from his cup, his long wide white sleeves sway as he does so. Udo resigned, crossing his arms as he looked at you warily. A small petite girl, can handle a mission like this? He heard that you were a cadet but really? Lena is sending a cadet in her place? Ridiculous! He thought as he sized you up and judged you for your skills with his stares alone. You ignore him, wasting time dealing with him will affect the mission in a bad way. Eckhart then turns to you with a smile. Compared to Udo he seems like a reasonable person at the very least, you decide to return the same nice attitude to him as he did to you. You smiled back. "May we know the pleasure of your name?" Eckhart asks courteously, "My name is Eve." You reply curtly, not willing to give any more information. He then says, "I assume Lena told you of the situation? About the slavery?" You nodded, he continued. "Well, those were actually Underground residents who were being sold to a nobleman. We confirmed the rumors detailing the happenings in his private villa. They say many slave corpses are being thrown from the villa, most of which are due to torture and... from being violated." He says as heavy news crept up from his lips, heavy bad news, cruel things being done to people. It was a short sentence but it entails many other things. And this is done to young children? Minors?! Sickening. You thought inwardly as your hands balled into fists, your tears threatening to spill. I'll kill him. You thought, as rage flared up from within the depths of your chest, your expression darkening by the minute.

I like that look on her face, Stefan inwardly thought as he maintained his composure drinking his herbal tea. Stefan may look timid and weak but he is perceptive, "Calm down, we cannot harm a hair on this guy. It'll complicate things." You then snap back at him, "How complicated exactly?! Those are children, innocent children! Are they not more important than a nobleman's life?!" It breaks your heart to know such people exist in this world. No matter the world, era, or time such trash does exist. Stefan frowned, his gaze somber, "Ruedi Schwarz is one of Nicholas Lovof's closest subordinates and is the grandson and only heir of District Lord Schwarz. Lovof is the leader of the anti-expedition faction. If we made a move now, they'd hide themselves deeper in their lair without us even making a dent on them. This is the best we can do, while we hide ourselves, gather pieces of evidence, and topple their foundations in one fell swoop. Without them even knowing a thing about what's to come at them." Stefan explained waving his arms in a sweeping manner as if to give you enough visualization about their plans. 

So in a sense, they're like a resistance or an anti-noble faction. You thought to yourself as you sighed, calming down. "Sorry, I got carried away." You say as you mutter under your breath. Eckhart smiled, "No, it's nice to know that you feel the same way as us too. We long wanted him dead but we still have to wait so that our efforts and sacrifices won't be in vain." You sighed again, "So what's the plan?" You ask returning to your calm work mode. Eckhart nods at Udo and Udo goes into a room bringing back with him a map of the walls. A map this well made isn't so easily available like how your city map from your past life is easily available in bookstores. But in here everything regarding the Walls, or every bit of information is watched closely. "A wagon from Wall Sina will arrive at Wall Rose, nighttime today. Traveling through the Trost District, then the wagon will travel a few miles more toward Schwarz's private villa." Stefan begins, pointing to the map that Udo laid down on the table. "Our job is to intercept the wagon right after it leaves the watch vicinity of Trost District. We will use the cover of the trees in this area," He points to an area on the map before continuing, "Then with the passes that Lena sent you, we will rescue the slaves and bring them safely to Klorva District. Older brother and Udo will stay with them on the road to Klorva while you return here to report back." Stefan explains you nod. You're not needed that too far away anyway. The Cadet Corps officers will suspect something if you're gone for too long. "Copy that." You say out of habit from your past life. Stefan, Eckhart, and Udo were perplexed with what you mean by "Copy that." exactly. You muttered an "Oh," before continuing to correct your utterance before it became something weirder in their heads. "I meant, I understood." Eckhart made an "Oh" expression before saying, "Ah it's okay, as long as you understand." He then turns to the rest of the group, "Alright everyone, prepare we will begin to set out and camp outside Trost." Eckhart claps his hands and then Udo begins making his preparations, which also seems like your cue to prepare. You excuse yourself and decide to buy yourself some food supplies and a wee bit extra in case the group asks for some of your shares.

*

You found Eckhart and Udo outside the tavern where you first met Eckhart, and you found that Stefan wasn't around. Remembering his clothing, his skin, and the herbal tea he drinks, something about him appeared sickly. Maybe that's why he wasn't in this mission just the role of making plans. You threw him off your mind as you focused on the mission. Just as you were approaching the gates on your way out to Trost, you decided to use one of the identity passes that Lena handed you, you're not about to blow your cover after all. As you did, Eckhart watched you. He thought that it was smart of you to not get entangled in the Underground business. He lets you be on your own methods as long as it won't affect the mission, he won't stop you.

As soon as you arrive at the target area on horseback, you maintain a calm expression as the murder of that Schwarz dude fills your mind. You can't help but think of many different ways to make such trash suffer. You flinch as you feel a hand over your shoulder, it is Eckhart. "You maintain your calm, if you can't it's best be you go back to the Cadet Corps," He says with a gentle smile. Right, I should remain composed, they can't waste the efforts they built so far for who knows how many years they did over an impulsive me. You thought to yourself, "I'll be fine, thank you for the reminder." You say as you continue helping set up camp. 

The sun had set and you decided to share some of your food with Udo and Eckhart. It's just some dried foods and dried fruits nothing special. As much as you want to cook, you can't afford the enemy seeing your campfire from a distance. When the moon rose, you decided to stay up on top of the trees with your ODM gear on. You still don't trust these two after all. Not as much as you trust Lena, Kayle, Jina, or Kate anyway. Meanwhile, Udo led your horses away from your camp at least away from an earshot.

You stayed hidden within the leaves of the trees you're perched on, like a hawk awaiting its prey in the middle of the night. You watched the vast forests and the small patches of plains and meadows illuminated by the heavenly moon. The air here is pure, and fresh save for the occasional manure and pee you smell but it's nothing compared to the pollution you had experienced in your past life. The night sinks in deeper as you hear the crickets play their tunes in perfect harmony. 

And for a moment you are at peace. 

These small moments of peace away from the rigorous training allowed you to think more about your current situation that you have been putting aside for a long time. It's so difficult to imagine that beyond those gargantuan walls await death and desolation. You haven't seen a titan exactly yet but from what you saw in the series, you imagine they'd be quite scary to watch not to mention the way the series mentions they eat humans. This world is so pretty, yet titans roam free trampling upon many things that are beautiful of this world. And the people here live in perpetual peace with no knowledge of what's to come. Completely ignorant of the world around them. Should I tell everyone that Wall Maria will fall? You contemplated. You even considered telling Erwin Smith. Knowing his intellectual prowess and cunning he would've found a way out of this situation no matter the cost but how will you tell them? Not to mention, how will you tell them on how you got this information? Without evidence and logical reasoning, all of this will just sound like crazy talk. Not to mention even if let's say they believed you, you'd have to answer the next questions regarding your true motives, who you are, and who you work for.  One wrong move and you just might receive far harsher treatment than imprisonment. It would've been worth it if they managed to save the day with the information you gave despite you in being worse conditions and imprisoned but what if they don't? What if they don't and you weren't there to solve it? What of your family then? 

The answers to your big questions were interrupted by the clacking hooves of horses and the rattling sounds of wood, a wooden wagon. The depth and sound of the wagon's rattling indicated it carried many heavy things, luggage, or even people inside. You take a peek from the leaves you're hiding with and see that the wagon is a covered type and there's really no way to identify what's inside. You notice that for a wagon supposed to carry slaves, has three men escorting it including the coach.  You took a glance at Eckhart and Udo and noticed them squinting their eyes at the wagon. Then you saw them give you a signal to wait and prepare for an attack. You then held the hand grips of your ODM gear as you watched the wagon come closer and closer. Upon looking harder, you recognized the coach of the wagon, "Flavon," It's that same man whose sketch was shown to you by Lena before. 

Then suddenly when the wagon came at the most perfect angle for you, you saw Eckhart signaled the attack. Skillfully, you jumped and spun with the steam of your ODM propelling you above the wagon's way. Shocked, Flavon stopped and pulled the reigns of his horses making the horses panic even further. Your figure seemingly flies mid-air against the bright figure of the moon, the shroud of your hood covering your face and the rest of your cape fluttering as you do so. Then in quick motions, you shot your anchors at Flavon's seat, the wires of your gear drawing spirals in the air as it pierced itself on Flavon's seat and propelled yourself toward him as you briefly performed a bridge connecting to a spin to redirect the position of your feet at him, effectively kicking him square on his abdomen and sending him flying inside the wagon breaking off the covers of the wagon. All happened in quick succession that Flavon didn't even get to react to actually know what was happening. 

Now I can see why Lena sent her, 

This is just too easy for her,

Eckhart smirked to himself as he walked towards the wagon revealing himself and Udo. You didn't waste any more time as you quickly released your anchors and shot them again towards another tree propelling yourself in the way of another man on horseback,  as you did a spinning kick sending him off his horse steps away from the wagon. Knocking him out in the process. The last man, being freaked out decided to kick his horse faster as he escaped away. It's futile. You thought as you shot your anchors once again, making a swift series of spins and turns as you gained momentum and triggering your gas to propel you at the last moment setting you past the man on horseback. You saw his face warped into an expression of fear the moment he set his eyes on your shrouded figure as your cape hid your identity against the bright illuminance of the moon. And as if a cute love story of violence, your eyes locked and your surroundings slowed at the critical moment. You observe his face warp from fear into panic, his hands gripping the reins of his horse as he pulls it back to him. But before he could even turn around you shot your anchors on the trees nearby and performed a series of turns and spins multiplying the impact, Brace yourself, this is gonna hurt! You thought-- before landing a hard kick on his face. You landed on the ground as you released your anchors back, you watched the man you had just kicked, knocked out. You checked his vitals and noted that he was still breathing. But you reckon he'd probably have some internal bleeding from that kick to his head. He won't have long by then they don't have surgery that advanced here yet. You sighed, killing him wasn't your intention.

You notice Udo and Eckhart who had just stepped out from their hiding spot finally woke from their stupor as they watched you with their mouths agape.

Fast! They thought further cementing that Lena did choose you for a reason.

You took the horse the man was riding on earlier and rode it yourself rushing the horse on the way back to the wagon. You climb the wagon as you duck your head to enter the wagon and you see Flavon passed out, his mouth foaming. 

Ew, You thought as you grimaced at the sorry sight of him. Considering the poor hygiene practices of most people in this world, that must smell disgusting. You shudder at the mere thought and decide to kick Flavon off the wagon, not even bothering to touch him. Only then do you notice the slaves who were supposed to be sold to their cruel fates.

God no,

You covered your agape mouth with your hand as you saw the state of these children are in. Most of these children were around like, eight to twelve years old there were a few who were probably around fifteen to sixteen years old. Their cheekbones protruding, arms thin like twigs, their bodies small and thin, clothes unkempt, old, filthy, almost like rags. Their frightened expressions stare at you as they curl up and huddle with each other, instinctively to protect themselves. Your heart breaks at the sight of these children. You wish right now that you had an orphanage to care for these children, feed them, give them shelter, and give them basic education. Whoever was the sick maniac who wanted to use these children like objects,  makes you really want to end their lives right now. 

It took you everything not to cry in front of these children. You knelt down to them, holding back your tears, "Are you kids alright? Nobody hurt?" You say as you fix your hair trying to look as gentle and motherly as possible. One older kid replied with a nod. "Don't worry you guys are safe now. You'll be fine." You say with a reassuring smile. You are relieved when you see fear leave their eyes, their expression still filled with apprehension but at least no longer like before.

You hear Eckhart and Udo walk towards the wagon, you are shocked when you saw Udo just killed Flavon and made quick work of the other two men, blood splurting against his face. Immediately, you covered the nearest children's eyes. "Hey, there's children looking here!" You shout at Udo scolding him for his carelessness.  It didn't matter to you that Udo was older but what mattered more was the innocence of these children. Eckhart elbowed Udo and Udo muttered a slightly shocked, "Oh my bad." He then drags the body away from the road, he understands your sentiment as it is also something his lover would've said.

"Don't worry children, you won't be going to that terrible place anymore, you'll be going to an orphanage where you'll be taken care of, fed, clothed, and protected," Eckhart said in the most possible nice and gentle way possible he could. Eckhart being a man, made the children feel apprehension. You heard in your past life that children are that way. While children feel easier to warm up even to a woman wearing a scowling expression, they would stay away even with men who had the warmest and brightest of smiles. Noticing this, you looked at the children and they looked at you too. You nodded and pat their backs with a reassuring hand that everything will be alright. Somehow you can't help but worry. Something in you wanted to make sure they're safe join them all the way to Klorva District. "Eckhart, why don't I go with you and Udo be the one to report back?" You proposed, not yet willing to leave the children. It's no problem for Eckhart however, he has to know what Udo thinks of it, "What do you think Udo?" "I don't mind. Heidi must be waiting for me back at home." He says with a slight smile on his face. Besides, the stunt you pulled earlier, was already good and it shows you're competent enough. If not for your soft heart you could've killed Flavon and his men with just your anchors but you didn't. But for Udo, that performance is sufficient enough even if you still have a long way to go in ruthlessness. Besides, he missed his Heidi and Eckhart is with you anyway. So he can comfortably leave the rest of the mission to the both of you.

Eckhart only nodded, "Have Lena kept informed." He tells Udo, as he rides in the the coach's seat. You smile to the children, "Looks like we'll be together for a bit longer." You promised them after all that they'd be safe and you're sure to make it happen. You remember you still have some food with you. Although you're not sure if it's enough, you take out some dried foods and divide each for the children. Their eyes glimmer as they eye the food in their hands. You nodded assuring them that they could eat it and without hesitation they did.

It did take you a few days to arrive at a farming village for a stop while hunting an animal here and there on the way. The sun had set when you arrived at the farming village, it'd be too expensive to treat all the kids so you already hunted prior to arriving here. You decided that it'd be nice to treat these kids with some meat stew. You bought the vegetables in the farming village and cooked some stew for the kids. "Woa Eve didn't know you could cook," Eckhart says as he gets a serving, "Why didn't you cook when we were camping out." He adds, that he would've preferred a warm stew over dried foods that night. "Eckhart, you of all people should know we'd get spotted if we do." You replied and Eckhart only gave an "Oh" sound seemingly realizing it must be the hunger taking over him. You gave the children some servings and they ate it eagerly. Their stomachs warm after that hearty meal. They'll be sleeping well tonight. Then it took you a few more days to arrive at Klorva. Then finally, another week and a few days back. There was indeed an orphanage, whose owner was either a subordinate of Section Commander Lena or just someone with a connection to this organization. You're not really sure and you don't wanna pry too much. Not without Lena's approval at least. Nevertheless, you're glad you made sure that the children are safe. You fell asleep soundly on the wagon.

Year 841,

Status: (Eve)

STR: 125
AGI: 73
DEX: 96
HP: 60/60
CONCENTRATION: 70
LEADERSHIP: 30
DEF: 20

Status: (Flavon)

STR: 16
AGI: 9
DEX: 5
HP: 0/100
CONCENTRATION: 3
LEADERSHIP: 19
DEF: 2

Status: (Man on horseback)

STR: 10
AGI: 5
DEX: 5
HP: 0/100
CONCENTRATION: 3
LEADERSHIP: 17
DEF: 6

Status: (Escaping man on horseback)

STR: 12
AGI: 7
DEX: 4
HP: 1/100
CONCENTRATION: 3
LEADERSHIP: 24
DEF: 2

[Note: An average soldier's stats would range from 30-40 while a normal man's stats would range from 10-29. Common stat limit 100.]

1