Chapter 7: Furbrough
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Where do I start?

With his belongings consisting of little more than his shrunken ukatar and a small purse of coins, Rohl was hardly the most equipped person for the task ahead, but with no desire to do anything but reach Elmon and his awaiting family, Rohl wasted no time in exiting the panacea and gently closing its doors behind him.

But it wasn’t the quiet street of Furbrough that immediately caught his attention upon leaving the boundaries of the panacea, it was the warmth of the sun of his skin. A feeling he had clearly gone without for far too long.

And with that feeling rejuvenating his body, Rohl allowed himself a few precious seconds to enjoy it.

Best not to strain myself, I’m still a little stiff but I can’t afford to end up tearing something.

The sensation of doing nothing but closing his eyes and enjoying the sun was refreshing but after a minute or two, Rohl finally found the willpower to break away and continue with his plans.

Let's see, two-three days to Elmon, will need supplies, weapons and if possible, people to tag along with since I don’t really know how to use a sword.

Rohl was fairly experienced with handling ho’s and many other farm tools but his experience with any sort of real weapon was lacking at best.

Trial by fire, I guess.

Rohl simply just did not have the time to spend weeks training in Furbrough just so he could become slightly more capable once he left its wooden gates. And so, with a hint of urgency in his steps, Rohl turned from the panacea and made his way to the market that was just beginning to show the first signs of life.

Given the early hour, it was hardly surprising to see the streets of Furbrough sparsely occupied, except for the one or two early morning workers, the streets were empty with the only real conglomeration of people being near the central market square.

Is this because of the early hour or the attack, how long has it even been? It feels so fresh to me.

At least the quietness of the streets would mean few delays in his own journey and so with that in mind, Rohl moved across the street and hastily made his way towards the central market, it was a quick walk, although that was mostly due to the town’s small stature than anything else.

If Rohl strained hard enough, he was sure he could make out sections of not only the housing and crafting districts but the central gate as well.

It may have been small, but it was hardly an insignificant town given its position near the central Offan road, a position that Rohl assumed explained why most of the streets contained more inns than houses, even the dirt paths had been cobbled over to allow for easier travel.

And with such factors combined, Rohl made it to the central market with almost no effort, event, or pain from his somewhat strained muscles.

Let's see how much I've got.

With there being no reason to start browsing the stalls without having some idea of his finances, Rohl quickly fished out the coin purse and emptied it into his hand.

Twenty twillings, enough for either some food or the flimsiest sword ever made.

It was an easy choice, whilst he could still put up some semblance of a fight without a poor-quality weapon, he stood no chance of getting to Elmon if he became too weak and starved to move.

I need to learn to hunt and forage. Elmon is where I need to be.

With that Rohl turned his gaze from the blacksmith and placed it towards the small food-focused section of the market, even from this distance, Rohl could see how poor his options were. As nice as the warm bread, freshly cooked pies and steaming meat looked, it was hardly food suitable for his journey.

I need rations… and preferably companions. Why didn’t I just go to the guild first?

With there being no guild in Shrewsborough, it was fairly obvious why the idea hadn’t immediately clicked but despite Rohl’s unfamiliarity with the adventurer’s guilds, even he had an idea of the services they offered.

A go-to for all your adventuring needs.

To only further Rohl’s confidence in this idea, he could just about spot the local adventurers guild in the distance, it seemed to be situated at the end of the central road, barely a few steps away from the main gate. The fact they had their sigil, a simple sword with the letters A and G in the corners painted into a sign above their door did make their location rather clear.

Entering the guild, hardly the grand moment I always hoped it would be. Get what I want, then go.

With a festering impatience, Rohl all but raced down the quiet Furbrough streets, ignoring any merchants, local shops and passers-bys as he did so. He had one goal on his mind and with his concentration on that one thing, Rohl seemed to reach the guild's entrance in barely any time at all.

Despite his quickened pace, Rohl did still have his manners and so instead of barging through the wooden doors, Rohl slowly and quietly pushed them aside, all whilst attempting to peek through the gap he created.

I actually have no clue what time they open, or if they ever shut for that matter.

Unsurprisingly given the time, the many benches and tables that littered the hall were completely empty, with the only sign of life coming from what appeared to be a cleric who was slowly polishing the many trophies that ordained the walls of the guild.

Given the still-kindled fire, unlit torches and freshly stacked quest board, Rohl guessed he had arrived just at the right time. And with his quiet presence not discrete enough to go unnoticed in the silent guild, the friendly smile sent his way by the cleric only furthered that belief.

“Hi, sorry, yeah. I’m journeying to Elmon soon and wondering if you had anyone going out that way or any supplies could buy,” Rohl mumbled out in greeting.

“I’m afraid we have no contracts in the vicinity of Elmon, as for supplies, I’m sure we have something to suit your needs.” With that, the neatly dressed cleric gently placed down his cloth before moving to stand by the desk that had been constructed at the far end of the room.

After taking a second to gather himself, Rohl quickly moved to join the cleric.

“If you’re planning a journey to Elmon, I would recommend just a simple travelling kit, three days' worth of food and water plus a small blanket. I must admit it lacks quality, but it is cheap, only twenty twilling’s.”

That is all my money but what else am I going to spend it on.

“That would be great, thank you.”

With the deal made, Rohl carefully dug out the required twilling before placing them in the man's open hand.

Only once the cleric had counted the coins and tucked them away in his pocket did he move to the other side of the reception area and carefully pull out a small knapsack along with a handful of supplies and materials.

It was a tight fit but after a moment of organising, all Rohl’s bought supplies did appear to have been packed, and with that, the cleric finally handed them over.

“A pleasure doing business with you. And young man, the road to Elmon is one of the safest in the kingdom but I would still suggest caution. You wouldn’t be the thirst lone traveller to go missing on those roads.”

No wonder this place is empty, every time you leave you get a cryptic death warning. If I could wait I would but if I don’t hurry then their souls may enter Charon’s ferry before I can tell them I’m sorry, how I fai…

“I will thank you.” With the exchange over and seemingly no possible companions nearby, Rohl wasted no time in leaving the guild and making his way towards the nearby gate.

Fortunately, there didn’t appear to be any foot or cart traffic either entering or exiting Furbrough, allowing Rohl to approach and slip out the open gates without any issues. It seemed his recent stay in the panacea was not a secret amongst the citizens of Furbrough if the confused stares of the two guards were anything to go by.

After a quick exchange between them, Rohl himself found on the opposite side of two worried gazes.

Well, at least they’re not trying to stop me.

However, before Rohl could take the first step onto the paved road that led to Elmon, a not-so-subtle cough from one of the guards froze him in his tracks.

“Am I good to leave?”

“You are, but we wouldn’t recommend it.”

“These are turbulent times, especially so for any lone travellers.”

With the guards’ concerns ringing in his ears, Rohl could do little more than smile politely before reassuring them of his decision.

It's good they care but I can’t afford to wait, this is my only chance, and I will not miss it, I can’t. I might already be too late, please Lord Charon, please wait.

“Thank you for your concern but I can’t wait any longer, I’ve made my decision and I will bear the consequences of it.”

“Have you at least got a weapon?”

“Supplies?”

“A general sense of direction?”

The questions came out at surprising speed and after taking a second to decipher, Rohl finally answered the unusually concerned guards.

“Not really. Yes, and yes.”

“We’d all hate to see something happen after you survived so much, especially since we were the ones who had to carry you here in the first place.”

“Put my back out it did.”

“Oh, uh, thank you but I can't afford to spend days, weeks even waiting for the right companions to leave with.”

Those words did not seem to sate the guard's worries and after a quick glance between them, it seemed they finally decided on how to settle their concerns.

“Here, you can borrow this, whenever you come back, please return it to me, preferably without letting any of the others see it.”

The curiosity Rohl felt at those words was soon settled as the guard who had spoken reached towards the small hilt strapped to his back and pulled out a rather old-looking dagger.”

“Thank you, really, thank you.”

“Now go on, best you hurry if you want to reach the closest camping area before nightfall.”

After a small smile and nod towards the two guards, Rohl finally turned away from Furbrough and began his journey towards Elmon.

0