– Valiant
119 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the midst of the activity, Quendrese abruptly halted her movement, capturing our collective attention.

"Does anyone know of any other games?" she asked. Hearing this, I responded as I knew some. "Since I enjoy playing games, learning from others, and have played them since I was a child, I know of other games," I said while they listened.

"What would they be?" Quendrese asked. "They are: Deal or No Deal, Don't Break the Ice, Kerplunk, Mikado, Operation, Doctor Quack Quack, Twister, and Truth or Dare. That's all I know," I said with a wide smile as I remembered the games.

"Thank you for that. I will recommend those games to my three younger siblings," Quendrese said. 

"You're welcome. You can ask me anything, and I'll tell you what I know," I replied. "Athy, thank you for your offer," she expressed, and we resumed our cleaning once more.

While we were tidying up the cluttered table through gestures and movements, our attention shifted towards the individuals who were playing Jenga beside us. 

Our hands continued to move as we carefully placed the books on the side and neatly organized them in a row. We proceeded to close our laptop and disposed of some torn paper in the nearby trash bin. 

The plates and utensils were handed over to Ceri and placed in the kitchen. 

In the midst of our tasks, we suddenly heard the distinct sound of the Jenga blocks falling, emitting sharp, wooden clacks or clicks as they collided with one another. We instantly turned towards the source of the noise, witnessing the wooden blocks cascading and creating a distinctive impact of wood on wood. 

Kat touched her eyeglasses. "...So, the Jenga tower collapsed," she remarked. 

"Afreyea, could we join the game?" she continued, addressing her, after we had finished organizing the items on the table.

In response, Afreyea looked at us. "You all are more than welcome to be a part of what we're doing," she cheerfully replied. We then stood up from the couch and moved closer to the table where they were gathered, subsequently taking our seats on the couch. The participants for the game are myself, Kat, Ceri, Mavis, and Quendrese.

"It is pleasing to know that all of you will be joining us for the game," she continued speaking amidst the conversation of others. 

"I will refrain from participating for now as I need to eat beforehand," the other stated before standing up alongside her.

"Aji, it is commendable that you remembered to eat now. It is not advisable to eat late," Afreyea remarked to her, staring. 

"My mind is just focusing on you," she responded before turning and starting to walk towards the kitchen. For a second, I could see Afreyea's shocked expression before she shifted her gaze to us.

"As I watched earlier, I felt eager to join. However, I'm ready to take part in the game now," Mavis expressed.

"Afreyea, what are the rules?" Quendrese inquired.

"The objective is to remove blocks from the tower and place them on top without causing the structure to collapse. If the tower falls during a player's turn, that individual loses the game. Additionally, only one hand at a time should be used to remove or replace a Jenga block, and it is not permitted to stabilize the tower with the other hand. The game concludes either when the tower falls or when one hand is no longer able to remove a block," Afreyea explained, commencing the task of arranging the wooden blocks in sets of three while alternating the direction of each layer to construct a tower. We assisted by utilizing movement gestures.

"So, we follow rules to achieve objectives," Kat realized.

"With skill and precision, the Jenga tower will collapse either due to natural causes or if a player's hand causes it to topple while attempting to remove a block. I get it." Quendrese concluded.

"Everyone, can we determine the turn order through a rock-paper-scissors game?" Mavis suggested after we finished stacking the wooden blocks.

"Of course." Afreyea responds.

"Let's do that, and I want everyone to know that we should be prepared," Kat said intimidatingly.

"The more, the merrier." Quendrese motto remarked.

At this moment, I feel their emotions becoming intense as I see their serious expressions. Everyone seems valiant in their own thing.

"That seems appropriate. Let's initiate the game with Afreyea, and proceed either beside her or in front by counting until we identify the next player." Ceri stated, currently seated.

"Athy, let's play rock-paper-scissors since you are sitting in front of me," Afreyea unexpectedly proposed, to which I nodded in agreement. In response, I extended my arms in front of her, prompting her to do the same, and we balled our hands into fists.

"Everyone, our food order has arrived."

"Yay! Wonderful, Aviya!"

"Did you wait for the food delivery?"

"Yes. I am the type of person who waits for happiness."

"How can you say that happily when your words are so striking?"

"Everyone, please remember to finish the hot chocolate and herbal tea."

"Of course, hot beverages are perfect for cold days."

"Than, your panda pajama set suits you."

"Really? Aury, I didn't realize. Thank you. I appreciate how you see me."

"That's understandable, and seeing you also brings a smile to my face."

"I understand that both of you are in a relationship, and you even have similar pajamas. Could both of you refrain from flirting here? It is quite bothersome."

We were immersed in the game when we inadvertently came across a highly significant conversation. It was so impactful that we paused playing, looked at each other, and then directed our gaze towards them. 

"To openly say that, I feel your confidence is shining through, and I already admire you, Eugenie, even though I am a girl."

"W-What are you saying? Don't make me feel embarrassed."

"Than, hang out with the boys, not here." 

"Don't attempt to challenge us," someone remarked.

"Y-Yeah, indeed," he stuttered, rising from the sofa with the intention of departing, but Aury grabbed his hand.

"Than, I will see you later, and please ignore their contemptuous attitude. There is no need to feel apprehensive."

"Aury, I understand," he chuckled.

"Amelie, I am intrigued. What was the reason behind your request to borrow my phone earlier?"

"Ah, regarding that matter, I've missed my younger siblings, so I contacted my mother and informed her that I would buy a gift for them when I get home tomorrow."

"I understand. Is the responsibility of caring for them fulfilling?"

"Absolutely, I have a lot of love for my younger siblings. And what about you, Nerea?" Amelie inquired.

"Taking care of my siblings has been tiring, and It is the reason why I have made the decision to not have children. However, I do love my siblings," Nerea responded.

"That is something I haven't heard before. So, this reason is why you have been rejecting other men who have confessed their feelings for you in the school halls?" Aury inquired, addressing her. 

"How did you know?" Nerea asked, with confusion.

"When someone called you, we followed you and have been stalking you," Aury admitted.

"You don't have to express that to her," Eugenie chortled.

"I reject them because I am concerned that if they touch me and impregnate me, I do not want that. So, I plan to remain single forever," Nerea confessed. 

"You appear to be quite confident. However, if you continue to age and accomplish the things you have been working on, who will inherit your achievements if you do not have children?" Eugenie stated.

"I am confident because I function automatically, as my thoughts guide my actions. I am true to myself, neither pretending to be something I am not nor trying to be more than I am." Nerea stated with a serious expression. 

"As I grow older, I plan to adopt children from the orphanage and pass down my inherited belongings to my siblings or the adopted child." Her words caused a momentary silence among us, while others looked on and began to discuss. "Furthermore, as I age, my skin will not show signs of aging since I do not have any biological children." She continued speaking once again. 

"Why do you say that?" Aviya questioned.

"It may sound strange, but I make this statement based on what I have observed and heard from others," Nerea explained. Upon hearing this, I found myself relating to her words. "Each time they conceive a child, their physical appearances appear to undergo alterations," she continued to state, as we all maintained a silence. The others recognize her and continue to talk among themselves.

The content of their statement was so astonishing that our eyes widened, leaving all of us momentarily speechless.

"... I guess spending time together is a good idea, to the point you feel compelled to express anything. We should let them be, and we should start playing now," Kat stated after sensing the prevailing mood.

"Indeed. However, it is worth mentioning that I observe the concern evident in all your facial expressions. There is no need for any apprehension as well," Quendrese remarked and chuckled.

"Isiah, you bought another book again. You seem to have a strong affinity for buying books. Might you be concerned about burning out from your voracious reading habits?"

"At first, I experienced burnout as a result of the advanced vocabulary in the book. However, I have since become accustomed to it, which is why I continue to read. After all, it is an inherent aspect of literature. It improves myself as well.

"Me too. I admire the works of authors, as their literary contributions are truly remarkable. I often think about the idea that they also have to face challenges in the process of conceptualizing their ideas. So, the books are amazing because they represent the full extent of their creativity, just for the benefit."

"They are a bibliophile, indeed."

"It's not just that, they are also lectiophiles."

"Both of you are so deep."

"Signe, I have observed you for some time now, sitting next to me. I have noticed that you have been engrossed in the music book, and you have also been writing in another book using a pen."

"Trene, I am thinking of creating music and sharing it online through videos. Because of this, I have devoted my time to learning about music and practicing," she replied.

"May I ask which instrument you are using?" Aviya asked.

"Piano," Signe responded.

"The guitar would also be a suitable choice," Eugenie stated.

"I will consider that," Signe replied.

"What is the theme of your music?" Trene asked, curious.

"The music revolves around a person I am fond of, even though I know that person will never be mine. I simply admire them from a distance," Signe explained.

We still overheard others valiantly talking as we all basked in the warm glow of the elegant ceiling lights. 

Afreyea and I locked eyes, while the others watched, their gazes piercing through me.

What is this atmosphere? Why is her gaze directed towards me with such intensity? If only I had the ability to delve into her thoughts, what would the outcome be? Thinking this, uneasiness envelops me.

"Rock, Paper, Scissors."

We said as we recite the numbers together in our minds as we prepare to form one of three hand shapes, counting to three. 

The movement of our hands corresponds to the shape we choose. My hand assumes the shape of a closed fist.

"It seems that luck is not on my side right now," Afreyea remarked upon perceiving my hand, with her own hand formed into scissors, her index and middle fingers extended to form a V.

"Um, it is merely a matter of chance," I stammered, a sense of modesty enveloping me.

I started playing, carefully checking the blocks for any looseness before deciding which ones to remove, with one hand. With caution, I successfully extracted the Jenga blocks from the completed levels and proceeded to place one of them on top.

"Afreyea, could you please explain what Jenga is all about?" Mavis asked. After I played, the others took their turns by deciding using rock paper scissors, and started to play.

"Based on the information, Jenga is a game played with 54 rectangular blocks. Each block should have a length three times the width of the block. The blocks are small in size. Furthermore, each block is three times longer than it is wide, and one-fifth as thick as its length. The tower is built by placing three blocks side by side for the first layer, followed by placing three more blocks on top of the previous layer but turned 90 degrees. The tower will eventually consist of 18 layers." Afreyea explained.

"I am familiar with this game because of my father's involvement in playing Jenga with his friends. The player who successfully places the last block on top of the tower without it falling is declared the winner," Ceri shared.

"This Jenga game is quite enjoyable and visually appealing. It requires focus and problem-solving skills," Quendrese expressed after listening.

"Yes, it's all about maintaining balance and skill, and chaos builds as the tower becomes increasingly unstable with each move. We are becoming more valiant because of the game," Mavis concluded.

The game begins as a playful activity by stacking blocks on top of each other to form a tower. To maintain the structure's equilibrium, we must carefully remove one block at a time and place it on top, increasing the height of the tower. As the game progresses, this process creates a sense of uncertainty as the tower becomes unstable. The game continues until the tower collapses. 

"Gyaaaaaa!" 

A sudden scream caught our attention, causing us to turn towards the source. We observed several individuals emerging from the side, each of them holding a pillow.

"Finna is incredibly beautiful, but her screams are rather unsettling."

"What happened, Finna?" Ceri inquired, as everyone else stood around.

"It's just that Yui's mask scared me. It was a Japanese oni mask," Finna replied, attempting to smile but appearing visibly sweaty.

"Indeed, it seems that Yui was assisting Evie. They are now descending the stairs," one of the others chimed in, followed by laughter.

As we listened, someone else appeared from the side, coming down the stairs.

"I didn't expect you to bring the mask today," Evie chuckled, walking alongside Yui.

"Evie, that's not fair," Finna pouted.

"I apologize, and I already informed you that the pillow was not meant to hit you," Evie said, now standing among us, still holding the pillow. The others also remained standing, while Yui sat on the couch, enjoying a drink with Azariah.

"Indeed, when Evie's pillow made contact with us, it abruptly departed from her grasp and struck you," Izabelle cackles gleefully.

"We ought to commence at this moment," Evie declared, bending her body while holding the pillow, causing the others to display courage in their fearless expressions.

With a resounding clack, the pillow escaped Evie's hand again, crashing into the Jenga tower, drawing our attention to her.

"...Evie," Ceri uttered ominously after seeing the Jenga tower destroyed.

"Ah, it seems like déjà vu," Evie responded calmly, shielding her eyes with her hand while standing. "I apologize," she continued to speak.

"Perhaps, for now, we should cleanse ourselves and retire for the night," Afreyea chuckled, to which everyone nodded in agreement, tidying up the cluttered table and rising to their feet. I, too, checked my phone, recalling her. However, there were no notifications, indicating that she had not yet sent a message.

"I'm interested in joining the pillow fight. Could you inform me about it?" Ceri inquired, standing up and causing Evie to smile without covering her face.

"To ensure safety, it's important to avoid headshots and the use of overly aggressive swings," Evie explained.

"The sofa is equipped with soft cushions, and no heavy or hard objects should be there to avoid injuries. Therefore, let's start the game," Izabelle added.

"I'm joining," Quendrese said.

"Count me in as well," Mavis chimed in.

"I would also like to participate," Kat announced, joining the group as they grabbed pillows from the couch.

"What about you, Athy? Will you join us?" Evie asked.

"Thank you for the invitation, but I would prefer to tidy up the cluttered table and watch," I responded with a chuckle.

"Azariah, why don't you become the referee and announce the start of the game?" Ceri suggested.

"... Yes," Azariah, who was initially surprised while drinking herbal tea, hesitantly responded after seeing her serious expression, and stood up.

Under the natural lighting, some individuals sit and watch, while others leave to sleep. 

The air conditioning dries our perspiring skin. 

The silence becomes tense as they stand and look at each other, showing bravery.

"Commence!" Azariah exclaimed.

"Pillow strike!" Evie shouted before hurling the pillow.

"Argh!" Quendrese emitted a groan as the pillow forcefully collided with her face,  

"You Chuunibyou girl!" she exclaimed as she ran towards her, clutching the pillow. After seeing Quendrese's angry expression, she ran.

"Why did you throw the pillow? Is this a pillow fight game? Where the pillow swings?" Quendrese inquired as she chased after Evie, who was also running. They ran around the couch.

"It's a product of the mind! The mind is to blame for my throw and unintended hit on you," she explained while running. 

Quendrese caught up with her and extended her arms upwards, holding the pillow aloft. 

"In that case, I'll seek revenge! Pillow bump!"

"Argh!" Quendrese's pillow struck her head. Evie let out a grunt and fell onto the couch, causing her to sit immediately in front of her.

"We have not yet finished," Quendrese smirked, standing while Evie remained lying on the couch, sensing apprehension.

"I-I surrender." Evie stammering in fear, she managed to utter.

"It seems I have won," Quendrese stated. 

"Not bad, that's a headshot," Azariah said, now sitting. 

"Of course," she replied proudly. 

"How can you call me a chuunibyou girl when you are an eighth-grade syndrome too?!" Evie exclaimed in embarrassment, still lying on the couch. 

"Hmph," Quendrese expressed her displeasure as she sat beside her and crossed her arms.

The others playfully swung pillows at each other, while some pushed each other with their hands grasping the pillows. I began to clean the area and set aside the belongings that had not yet been put away. Their bags were on the ground, and I placed them on the couch. I also spoke to the others who were sitting and had already finished eating. With valiant performing, verbal expression or communication with courage, bravery, and determination, they're implies conveying one's thoughts or ideas confidently and fearlessly.

5