= Intensity
119 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the midst of listening to them, they abruptly ceased discussing me and shifted their conversation back to their own matters. It was at that point that I decided to depart. Amidst the slight commotion and chatter from the others, I rose from my seat, still feeling uneasy.

"Excuse me, everyone. I regret to inform that I cannot stay much longer on this gathering. However, I hope we can catch up in the near future. Thank you." I stated calmly, reaching for my coat which had been resting on my lap and proceeding to put it on.

"Don't concern yourselves with us. It is already evening, and the gathering will soon come to an end," Idris responded, as the rest of the group acknowledged her words with nods and waves, looking at me.

"Agnes, see you later."

"Take care."

"I can't believe Agnes belongs to someone else now."

"I wonder, when will we ever meet our meant-to-be?"

"In the afterlife, we will be reincarnated and also experience oblivion. With a fresh start, we will meet our meant-to-be."

"Watch out for what you say because it compelled me to help you to the point that I want to grab the knife for you."

"Let's stalk her social media."

"No, we can't stalk her social media, it is private."

"I didn't see Agnes drinking alcohol."

"I wondered about that too."

"Well, everyone has their own matters after all."

As I turned around and slipped my phone into my pocket, these were the parting words that resonated in my ears. In response, I momentarily faced the group again, offering a smile and wave. Upon reaching the doorway, I paused to send a text message, tilting my head slightly as I held my phone while standing.

[Let's arrange a meeting.]

[I would be delighted to. I will just track your location.] she responded. Considering that it is already nighttime, I recall her parents. 

[I'll be right there.]

[Are your parents currently at home?] 

[No, they have not yet returned, just like my siblings.]

[We share a similar situation then.] 

I replied, and the thought of making a hotel reservation crossed my mind. 

[Why don't we proceed to the hotel nearby?] // 

Upon seeing my suggestion, she didn't reply for a few seconds. Confusion overwhelmed me.

[Since you also have that thought, then that is what you want, and I want it as well.] she finally replied.

[I will proceed with the check-in process and provide you with the link to the hotel's location.] 

I sent the message and visited the hotel's website to select a room in the serviced apartments category. During check-in, I saw the details, chose the room, and looked for accommodations that offer kitchenette facilities and fully equipped kitchens. I sent my identification, confirmed the reservation details, provided payment information, and completed the transaction securely online. Once the hotel booking was successful, I sent her the link and placed my phone in my pocket.

While listening to their intense conversations, I proceeded to grab the doorknob and open it, taking a step forward towards the outside. As I exited the door, I observed the narrow walkway with mosaic-tiled flooring, seamless stone and pattern designs, and interior walls adorned with plants. The wooden door, in a dark brown shade, led to the corridor. The ceilings were adorned with small, lined chandeliers. 

I recently learned that Idris lives in a condominium and owns a house despite living alone. As I ponder, I continue my walk towards the elevator and go inside, clicking the floor buttons or floor selectors.

Perhaps Athy and I should also consider purchasing our own house in the near future, but not a condominium. I thought to myself, allowing a small chuckle to escape. 

As the elevator descended to the ground floor, I stepped outside and found myself standing in front of the glass door. The elevator was situated behind me, forming a square-shaped area.

The winter had come to an end, giving way to unseasonably warm weather at the end of the month.

I lost in thought, I suddenly noticed a man opening the glass door. He was wearing a beanie hat, a cotton coat, pants, and boots. As I recognized him, my eyes widened.

"What brings you here?" I asked, my confusion evident as he stopped in front of me.

"I followed you and waited for you outside when you left work," he explained, scratching his head.

"That kind of behavior is not appropriate. Following me is not a good idea. You should understand and respect my need for personal privacy," I responded with a sigh, looking at him.

"I'm just here to talk to you," he remarked. I was taken aback by his sad expression and somber demeanor, which left me feeling perplexed.

"Don't give me that look, because we don't know each other and remain strangers," I stated, diverting my eyes and resting one hand upon the opposite arm. At this juncture, I find myself feeling uneasy.

"That is your perception. Because of you, we are still strangers," hearing him, I found myself staying silent as it felt accurate. "I look forward to meeting you, which is why I always arrange meetings and contact you, but you didn't respond, only to be met with silence," he continued calmly. I attentively listened. "If we were to grow close and accept the arranged marriage, then we would partake in a commitment ceremony," he continued to explain.

"Have I not made it clear that I don't want an arranged marriage?" I retorted, causing his expression to turn serious.

"Indeed, you did express that sentiment, yet I chose to disregard your statement as I am fond of the notion of an arranged marriage," he proclaimed.

"It seems that you are concerned about the arranged marriage and making a big deal about it to the point where you are willing to voice any opinion on the matter," I conveyed.

"That's correct. We both consider it important, the issue is about us. It's possible that we both undergo change. With our combined efforts, we can develop love for each other, and we exist for the purpose of being with someone," he stated.

"I believe that won't work for us, because I don't want to be with you," I confessed.

The tension between us was palpable, a charged silence weighed down by unresolved emotions. Amidst this intensity, I observed the strained expressions and clenched jaws. I did not pay him any mind.

"Agnes, let's have a wonderful family."

"I don't desire to carry a child in my womb," I declared. "May I ask for your name?" I continued, contemplating the act of rejecting him.

"My name is Grey," he replied, his gaze shifting downwards before meeting my eyes again, offering a momentary smile with a raised eyebrow, displaying skepticism.

"...I had intended to introduce myself back then; however, upon seeing you, I became nervous and my actions became confused. I realize that this may have seemed impolite, and I apologize for that. To be honest, I am also uncertain about my own understanding of the situation," he confessed hesitantly, surprising me with his unexpected statement.

"However, as an adult, I have come to a realization. From the moment we first met, something didn't feel quite right." he continued speaking softly, momentarily lowering his head. 

"This is indicative of the fact that we are not meant to be." he stated seriously, looking directly at me. I found myself resonating with his words. 

"You don't understand me, and I don't understand you either. It is simply not meant to be." he continued speaking after a pause. We fell into a momentary silence, and the tense atmosphere between us became awkward.

"You should inform your parents that you wish to reject this arranged marriage and express that I also reject it. This will bring an end to any connection between us." I responded calmly. 

"My parents also support me, and they are not against canceling the arranged marriage." As he looked at me and listened, I continued speaking. 

"I will inform my parents that we have spoken as well─" I ceased talking as he suddenly approached me, causing me to tremble. My eyes widened, and I found myself leaning against the walls. His head rested on my shoulder, making me feel uncomfortable.

"I don't like this. Please step back, don't trap me." I pleaded urgently.

"Even if we are not destined to be together, why should we force ourselves into a relationship?" 

"Don't be selfish. You cannot coerce something that is not meant to be. If you resist and continue to force it, it will only become more complicated and worsen. It could lead to suffering," I stated firmly, placing my hands on his shoulders and continuing to push him away.

"Agnes, I want your presence. I am fond of you," he confesses in a moment of intensity.

"As you want the arranged marriage. I am already aware of your feelings and have already sensed it. That is why I didn't respond to your request for us to meet. My actions clearly depict my rejection," I respond calmly. 

"I don't share the same romantic feelings for you, Grey, as you have stated, which means we are not meant to be. I agree with your declaration."

After my statement, he failed to respond, and I continue to face difficulty deterring his advances. His head was resting on my shoulder as he leaned, and suddenly, he placed his hands on my waist, which were previously in his pockets.

"Stay away from me!" 

I exclaimed in frustration. Unexpectedly, he repositioned himself, now standing before me and appearing to be approximately 170 centimeters tall. He seemed to look down on me, his piercing gaze fixed on me. Because of his action, I became scared, wondering what would happen to me. In a state of fear, I tightly gripped my clothing, feeling my chest pounding with apprehension.

"W-Why are you behaving this way? I hate your actions and I ask that you stop immediately," I stuttered, avoiding direct eye contact.

"I am currently in a committed relationship and I'm in love. That person is my destined and compatible partner," I continued, speaking with unwavering determination.

"I don't care about this person. I will continue to pursue you until you change your mind," he proclaimed, turning away and leisurely walking towards the glass door. Uponhearing his words, a wave of anger surged within me.

"I will not change my mind! I am adamant in my decision because I don't like you!'

I assert firmly, raising my voice towards him. Upon hearing my words, he abruptly turns around and gazes at me, causing me to feel unnerved. His intense stare startles me. As our eyes lock, he begins to approach me once more. With apprehension, he suddenly wraps his arms around me forcefully and embraces me without any warning.

"Agnes, I can't accept your request because it's a bit annoying. You must change your mind and focus on me," he asserts, still embracing me while I struggle to push him away.

"Ah," I exclaimed in surprise, widening my eyes and feeling a sense of dismay as I furrowed my brow. 

I experienced a chilling touch on my neck, which induced a feeling of nausea, though I suppressed the urge to vomit. Perhaps this reaction was due to the fact that no one had touched me except for her.

"Grey! You have crossed the line! Don't touch me out of nowhere!" Anger surges within me, leading me to yell at him and continue pushing him forcefully. 

However, my arms grow numb and my vision becomes blurry. I realize that tears are streaming down my face. I am trapped by him, unable to see what lies ahead of me. As I was standing, he continued to embrace me. I abruptly noticed a hand was touching his shoulder. 

A hand instinctively pulled him, causing him to turn around. 

In that moment, a forceful punch connected with his face, resulting in a loud impact and him falling to the ground. 

"Aargh," I heard him emit a grunt of pain as he lay prone on the floor. 

"What are you doing to her?" 

The voice of the person facing him asked angrily. Upon hearing this voice, which had initially been pleasant, turn sharp, I realized it was her. 

I observed her presence in front of me, and despite my attempts to focus on what lay ahead, my mind seemed to go blank, resulting in a slight downward tilt of my head.

"Who are you?" Grey responded, furrowing his brows in confusion. He then stood up and wiped the blood flowing from his nose with his hand.

In the tense moment, Athy started to move towards him without hesitation. Despite feeling numb, I managed to approach her from behind.

"...Let's go," I uttered in a subdued manner as I found myself overwhelmed by the intense atmosphere, rendering me unable to gather my thoughts. 

"Please don't mind him," I continued speaking. During this moment, I might have been confused due to the unexpected event and feeling distress.

Despite feeling disoriented, I managed to embrace her tightly, and she touched my arms, which instilled a sense of emotional restoration.

"I understand," she said in a low tone, and I deliberately clasped her hand, prompting us to take a step forward slowly. I redirected my gaze towards her, while she continued to direct her attention towards him.

"Don't approach her in any future encounters, understood?" she expressed calmly, maintaining eye contact with him, who had shifted to the side, observing us.

"I am unfamiliar with your identity, however, I want to convey that moving forward, Agnes and I won't see each other again," Grey stated, standing upright and covering his nose as he calmly responded to her.

"I don't know who you are either, but it is imperative that you refrain from any contact with her and show respectful behavior towards all other women," she proclaimed as we departed towards the exit, walking along the pathway leading to the car park.

As we walked hand in hand, we found ourselves surrounded by brick walls adorned with lush plants and flowing water, indicating the narrowness of the passageway. Upon reaching the car park, an expansive asphalt opened up to us. Immaculate white lines delineated each parking space, while cars were carefully arranged within their allotted rectangles, forming a varied mosaic of colors and silhouettes due to the fluorescent lamps. The fixtures above cast a subtle glow. We approached the car in silence, and she proceeded to open the car door. However, I quickly closed it and leaned against the vehicle. 

She simply looked at me, standing upright, wearing a white polo shirt underneath a suede jacket, paired with black jeans and black shoes, creating a classic and versatile look.

I still remember the tense atmosphere earlier. My mind just went blank. Although my tears ceased, I felt a sense of relief that she had come to my rescue. However, I understood the implications behind her actions. At the same time, I wondered what she might be thinking.

"...Do you have something to say?" I asked hesitate. Unable to meet her gaze, I kept my eyes lowered to avoid seeing her expression. Without uttering a word, she left me wondering about her thoughts.

"Did you see it?" I summoned the courage to continue the conversation and inquired.

"Yes," she calmly replied, standing before me.

"Are you thinking that I cheated on you?" I questioned, still avoiding eye contact and clasping my hands together. 

"Are you doubting me?" I persisted, as she attentively listened.

"I have never thought about that," she said in a low tone. "I am perplexed by your sudden statement," she continued to speak. I am confused by her sudden and incomplete response, which has left some of my questions unanswered.  

"...It seems as though there may have been some misunderstanding. I am feeling anxious because I do not want you to perceive me as having made any mistakes or facing negative consequences. I am keen on avoiding any negative outcomes. I want to said that I did not cheat or do anything wrong. ...The person in question is someone whom my parents have arranged for me to marry. Initially, I had learned that he had been following me. We only talked; it was merely a discussion that severed any connection between us, and that ended the arranged marriage. That is the extent of our interaction. Suddenly, he touched me without my consent. I want you to understand that I am innocent and didn't do anything wrong. I hope this reassures you."

By saying this abruptly and without prior reflection, I feel a sense of unease and agitation. The emotion I am attempting to convey could potentially be indicative of anxiety or nervousness, as well as a fear of being misinterpreted. 

We fell momentarily quiet, and I raised my head to observe her. She exhibited a combination of shock, concern, and composure in her expression. 

"Agnes, your statement caught me off guard and took me by surprise. However, it seems inappropriate for you. I dislike seeing you in a state of unease. I appreciate you informing me as well, thank you," she stated. "I want to clarify that I did not misunderstand you, nor did I doubt you. I have complete faith that you didn't make any mistakes. I am relieved that I arrived promptly and was able to assist you, as I genuinely do not want to witness any harm coming to you," she continued to speak. Her voice remained calm as she spoke, matching the expression displayed on her face.

"In fact, I arrived before him and noticed him entering hurriedly. I saw you standing, and the man approached you, initiating a conversation. This prompted me to wait outside while standing. Although I couldn't hear the content of your conversation, I assumed he must be your friend," she confessed openly, and we continued to maintain eye contact.

"The moment I witnessed him embracing you, I sensed an unsettling feeling. However, I acknowledged that it is customary for friends to embrace. Yet, I observed him bending down towards your neck for a brief moment, creating the impression of a kiss. This made me feel unwell and disheartened. Confusion engulfed me as I questioned why he would touch you in such a manner. Without delay, I hastened towards the glass door and witnessed your struggle as you pushed him away, accompanied by your audible expressions of discomfort. This sight enraged me towards him, resulting in my decision to strike him. In that moment, I glanced at you and noticed tears and a look of dismay in your eyes. I contemplated delivering another blow, but you interceded, urging me to stop." She recounted, conveying comfort. As I listened, she drew closer to me and embraced me tightly, to which I reciprocated, bringing a smile to my face and feeling better, experiencing relief and improvement.

"I apologize for misunderstanding," I said, feeling embarrassed, raising my head to look at her while we embraced.

"When I witnessed your distress, you became my main concern," she said, gazing into my eyes.

"I am pleased to hear that," I replied, and she nodded in response, with both of us smiling.

"Shall we spend some time together now? Let's go to the hotel," I continued to speak and chuckled. "Yes," she responded as she opened the car door, allowing me to step outside. With her assistance, I settled into the front seat before she closed the car door swiftly.

In a matter of seconds, she joined me inside the vehicle and shut the door. I noticed a blush forming on her cheeks, which confused me.

"Why are you blushing?" I asked, observing her closely. I watched her as her mouth opened and closed, displaying her momentary hesitation to speak, while she gazed at me. 

"It's just that I have heard about the hotel from my friends," she admitted.

"What have you heard?" Curiosity piqued, I asked, while taking the time to secure my seatbelt, I noticed her doing the same. Once we were both safely restrained, we exchanged glances.

"It's just that most couples enjoy staying in hotels," she replied.

"I understand. Considering the fact that we are a couple, it seems fitting for us to go to a hotel," I remarked, gazing at her.

"Could you inform me about our activities at the hotel?" she asked, her gaze momentarily shifting downwards and then back towards me, which I found quite endearing.

"We had planned to relax, dine, and use the hotel as a temporary abode for our work. It would also provide an opportunity for us to spend quality time together," I reassured her, noticing her sigh of relief. For a seconds, my mind wandered why.

"Are you feeling better now? Would you like something to eat or drink?" 

"Thank you, I am feeling better now because of you. Moreover, the tension I experienced earlier has subsided," I replied, reclining in my car seat with my arms resting on the armrest. "I am not hungry as I have already eaten, and I have also already had something to drink," I continued with a smile, looking at her as she unfastened her seatbelt.

"It must be hard," she said, looking down with a concerned expression.

"Don't worry, I'm fine now," I reassured. "Once we reach the hotel, let's take some rest," I continued to speak, and she nodded in response.

In that moment, as we exchanged glances, she adjusted the height of the seat in the vehicle, enabling me to find a comfortable resting position. She drew nearer, resting her arms on the car seat, and I sensed her touch as she reached out towards me. I reciprocated by raising my arms and embracing her, her soft hair cascading down. 

A feeling of warmth enveloped me as she planted a kiss on my forehead.

"Give me more kisses," I beg, and she seems surprised. Our gazes locked, conveying an emotion shared between us that words could only inadequately express. 

With my hands resting on her back, I pulled her closer, our lips meeting in a collision that felt novel and marked the arrival of a newfound commitment on my part.

The dome light in the car illuminated us, casting its brightness upon us. The slight rustling of the car seat accompanied our movements, adding a subtle soundscape.

The experience is an exquisite moment, with every touch of our lips delicately melding together to form a moist connection. It starts with a nearly unhurried pace, her tender lips gently peppering mine, moving with delicate grace. The rhythm of the beating of our hearts is palpable. With our eyes shut, and occasionally open, each passing moment etches a narrative of longing and intimacy.

Our noses tenderly caress one another. 

And as our lingering kiss persists, it conveys a deep emotional bond and an unwillingness to part ways.

As my eyes close, I find myself in a perplexity where it seems as if reality is slipping away. 

My thoughts become blurred, my awareness loses its sense, sounds fade into distant echoes, and the path of my thinking changes into a bewildering maze of uncertainty. 

Within the novel, an unsettling fog surrounds my consciousness, as if an invisible force is slowly tugging at my mind, leading me into a hazy. 

I gradually become aware of the fading nature of my consciousness, a realization that I am unable to resist.

The reciprocation of our kiss ceases, causing me to relax, and without uttering a word, my consciousness succumbs to sleep.

3