Chapter 26
93 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was able to wake up from a good night's sleep this morning.

Perhaps being able to sleep soundly in a completely unfamiliar place is a skill for survival.

I'm in a delicate situation as to whether I should be grateful to the goddess for being alive, or should I hold a grudge because I have been subjected to such terrible things, but I gained a lot just by being alive.

I want to go with the former.

The place where I fell from the waterfall was the altar room, which is part of a large church.

I took some time to investigate the entire church, but the only thing that felt strange was the altar room where I first entered, or rather, the altar room I had fallen into, and the rest seemed like  a normal facility.

Regarding the golem and the room I couldn't enter, which made me a little anxious, I have decided to put the investigation on hold for the time being.

When it fell from the waterfall, it must have made a pretty loud noise, but no one gathered to checkout the sound. In fact, dust had piled up inside the church, and for some reason there was no sign of anyone.

I searched the church room, but found that almost nothing was left behind, and although the reason is unknown, it seems possible that they left in a planned manner.

I spent the night in the church, but the situation remained the same and there was still no sign of anyone.

I gave up yesterday as it was getting dark, but today I will explore the area around the church.

After I waking up, I ate the grilled fish I made before heading out.

 Of course, I brought my partner, the knife.

(Well, I guess I'm starting to miss people.)

 I walked out of the church.

The church was built about 1m higher than the surrounding area, so I could see the surrounding area from the exit.

In front of the church entrance, there were stairs going down, and a path going straight ahead.

There are buildings and fields on both sides of the road.

Some of the buildings had collapsed, and some of the fields appear to have been abandoned for a long time

There was a mountain behind the church, and it was surrounded by a large semicircular dome-shaped wall.

It looked like a wall, or rather a hidden village created by making good use of the terrain.

They probably put their hands into the large cave that originally existed.

The overall scale was not that large.

As far as I could see from the church, it was less than half the size of my previous village, but judging from the number of buildings, it was probably the size of a village, able to accommodate about 60 families.

The surroundings were quiet, with no sign of people or even animals.

 I could immediately tell that it was a ruin.

 (The defense seems solid, but I'm curious as to why there's no one there.)

There are areas in the village that look like they were fields, and there are places where plants were sparsely growing.

 It doesn't look like it's being managed, and the plants that were originally buried seem to be growing wild.

There are canals for water to flow through the fields, but in some fields the water has been cut off due to blockage.

Even so, water still flows into about 30% of the fields.

The source of that water is probably the waterfall where the church is located.

The land is relatively plentiful with water and could function as an oasis.

The desertification of the surrounding area may be a factor, but is that enough to make it a ruin?

If I could live in the village, I think I can live here as well.

I might learn something by exploring this village and its surroundings.

Only a few of the buildings in the village were made of brick, such as churches, and many of the buildings were of poor construction made of rock or earth.

It's been a long time since people disappeared, and I could still see collapsed buildings here and there.

For now, in order to learn more about the village, I will investigate the nearby buildings in more detail.

It seemed deserted, but it's still too early to let my guard down.

I will carefully investigate each house one by one.

 (I hope there is some clue.)

Thenrudence only lasted up to the fifth.

When I looked around, there wasn't much.

There was almost no usable items left in any of the buildings, and it was becoming more likely that they evacuated in a planned manner.

In the first place, I could see inside the building to some extent from the outside, and I could break in, so there was no way to be cautious.

I investigated more than 10 buildings, but there was nothing useful left inside the buildings.

The only thing that looked like it could be used was a battered but iron agricultural tool.

 It seems that iron was widespread to some extent in this village.

If you don't care about quality, you can make iron at temperatures between 400 and 800 degrees.

It requires technology to stabilize the heat, but it can be done relatively easily if you have iron ore and wood.

Although it was in tatters, they still left some iron products ehind, so perhaps there is a mine of ore nearby.

If so, I would like to try making knives and axes for everyday use.

The buildings examination confirmed that the residents had systematically left the village for some reason.

There are a number of vacant houses that have not been investigated yet, but rather than conducting a more comprehensive investigation, it would be better to prioritize other things and obtain more information.

It may depend on the reason why there are no people, but there is water, housing, and fields, albeit in ruins, so it seems like it would be a good idea to consider living here.

Assuming I will be living in the area, i need to prioritize researching and working on things that I might need.

I would like to make sure I have food as a priority, even if I have to put up with housing and clothes at the bare minimum.

For now, I'm able to maintain my health even with less food, but I'm usually hungry, so it would be better to have some.

If the fields within the village can be regenerated and farming can be done, it seems possible to secure a stable food supply.

Fortunately, the battered agricultural tools can still be used to their full potential as long as the handles are rebuilt and the rust removed, even if some parts are missing.

There are some areas where the water doesn't flow well in the fields, but there's plenty of water so there's no problem.

The field seems to be usable enough if I drain the water and dig it deep.

  (Although the soil seems to be hard.)

By the way, one of the plants that grew wild in the field was rosemary.

Once rosemary takes root, it will grow without much care.

They probably survived because they had water.

It is a wonderful plant that can be used for cooking, tea, and other purposes.

I also want to secure animal protein that cannot be obtained from crops alone.

I would like to raise livestock if possible, but I have no idea where to get livestock.

If there were places around the village where animals and fish could be caught instead of livestock, it would be possible to support a population larger than the number of people living in the buildings in the village.

If I can secure a stable supply of food here, my goal will expand.

It might be possible to abolish the rules of that village, which I can't tolerate because I have memories from my previous life, by providing them with food made here.

Now that I have a good idea of ​​what's inside the village, I'd like to take a look outside the village as well.

The entire village was covered with walls made of rocks and soil piled up to a height of about 2 meters.

The entrance could be seen at the end of the road that extends straight from the church.

From there, it looks like I can go outside the village.

Using the path leading from the church, I headed towards the entrance and exit while observing the walls surrounding the village.

Although it was broken in some places, the village is surrounded by walls, and there seems to be only one entrance and exit, which is the one I am currently heading towards, so it looks like a fairly safe village.

If I have time, I would like to repair the wall as well.

Although I was only looking at it from a distance, i could see that the walls were roughly constructed and didn't seem to be very strong.

The village was not very large, so I quickly reached the entrance..

The outside of the village that could be seen through the doorway was a desert and wilderness as I expected.

As I was passing through the doorway, I could see parts that were hidden by the walls.

 "..."

The moment I passed through the doorway, I don't know how much, but I let out a silent scream

It was hidden behind the wall and I couldn't see it until I went outside.

 Now, I can see what seems to be the reason for the planned departure of this village.

 (That size is strange...)

2