Chapter 31
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I am working hard to rebuild the village with the goal of securing food for 30 people in a year and establishing farming methods, while also strengthening my skills by building a way to transport the children abandoned by the other village.

Six months have passed in the blink of an eye since I started working.

(Despite the rough idea, I feel like I did my best.)

The reconstruction is generally going well, but the feeling of loneliness is getting worse.

I was able to endure it because I have experienced it in my previous life, and watching the crops grow also gives me emotional support.

However, I want to increase the number of residents as soon as possible.

I thought that I would be fine living alone, but even if my body is fine, my mind is not.

I realized this when I named the knife my partner and started to talk to it.

I wonder if my heart will be able to endure it if this goes a little longer...

(To be honest, I have no choice but to do my best now.)

The conditions of the fields in the village are generally good.

At first, the germination rate was low, probably because the seeds taken from the village were in poor condition.

Even so, all the crops taken from the village have germinated, albeit in varying amounts, and have already been harvested two to four times.

The period from sowing seeds to planting and harvesting is generally four months for tomatoes and pumpkins and three months for sorghum and eggplant, but the growing speed is fast and the time until harvest is cut in half.

I'm happy that they grow so quickly, but pollination is a hassle, and the work at that time of year is quite difficult.

This is the first task that I don't want to continue alone.

I would like to quickly increase the number of workers or create a system to support pollination.

Pollination in deserts and semi-deserts is sometimes carried out by the bee, a type of honey bee.

Bees dig holes in dry walls and the ground to build nests and breed.

There are so many types of them because they are adapted to different environments, and there is a possibility that they live around here, but I have not seen them yet.

If I can successfully secure and breed them, pollination will be quite easy...

(Maybe they don't fly here.)

Since the fourth month, the signs of autumn have become strong, so it is better to refrain from sowing seeds in preparation for the next three months of winter.

In my farming work so far, I have also been able to verify problems caused by continuous cropping.

As expected, problems began to appear in the field where tomatoes and eggplants were continuously cultivated.

Since the growth rate of the crops was slower than in fields with crop rotation and there were cases of crops dying, I decided to end the experiment to avoid further deterioration of the field conditions.

Finally, in the fields where problems occurred, sorghum was planted, plowed, and left for a while.

Depending on the crop, continuous crop failure occurs within six months, rendering the field unusable.

On the other hand, so far, there has been no impact on crop growth in fields where I applied crop rotation.

After all, in this world, plants grow quickly and absorb nutrients quickly, so problems with continuous cropping are likely to occur.

As a result, the land becomes thinner, which is probably a contributing factor to desertification.

As for the current status of the crop harvest, I have been able to harvest two to four times in the past six months, so it is likely that I will be able to secure food for 30 people a year, which was my goal.

It will be possible to secure a stable supply of food even without increasing the cultivated area any further.

I have enough seeds and plenty of space.

Sorghum and pumpkin, which can be stored easily, are already stored by me after drying them in the sun.

Although I don't have that much saved up, there is enough for one person, so even if I have one more person, we can handle it right now.

I am also harvesting rosemary, which I stored after drying regularly.

I'm also trying to plant some carrot-like plants that I found while exploring the other day, and they're going well.

I tried eating it, and it didn't seem to be toxic, so I would like to grow it as a new crop.

Regarding food and agricultural methods, I can say that I achieved my goals.

All of the crops I harvested were delicious and satisfying.

Maybe it's because I'm working hard, or maybe it's because my body is trying to get back the nutrients it's been lacking, but I feel a lot more hungry.

I'm happy that I'm getting enough food, but my recent problem is that I'm having severe growing pains.

What is more, my palet is getting more and more spoiled, and I'm starting to really want salt.

(I can't help what I don't have.)

I am also spreading greening outside the village, but this is not going well.

In order to prepare for greening, I left the village and dug up the ground around the nearest pond to create a flow to distribute water.

Digging up the ground was difficult because it was hard, unlike the fields in the village, but it didn't need to be dug as tightly as in the fields, so I used my skills to complete it, albeit in a rough state.

I somewhat successfully dug up the ground, but growing the plants was another matter.

At first, I didn't have enough seeds, so I focused on transplanting bamboo, but I planted it outside near a pond, and although new roots appeared, it didn't grow as expected.

Bamboo transplantation into the village was progressing smoothly, so perhaps the sunlight was too strong.

The main body of bamboo is an underground stem, and the bamboo grows from the underground stem, and the fully grown bamboo sends the nutrients it obtains through photosynthesis to the underground stem.

When the plant is just transplanted, the underground rhizomes are weak, so I do not harvest any bamboo shoots or bamboo material and instead strive to grow the underground rhizomes.

If the rhizomes grow properly, the bamboo in my previous life grew 8 meters a year, so this one might grow to 16 meters, doubling that.

I would like to be able to use bamboo material soon to make everyday items such as cups.

I transplanted the bamboo near the wall of the village.

Because the surrounding ground was hard, I dug up a part of it and brought in water.

After deciding on the direction in which I want the rhizomes to grow, I dug up the ground to make it soft.

I would like to continue growing the underground rhizomes along the walls and eventually out of the village.

I'm aiming for a beautiful village with a bamboo forest along the walls.

Greening outside the village is not easy.

After transplanting bamboo failed, once I was able to secure seeds, I started planting sorghum and rosemary.

The sorghum sprouts appeared and seemed to be going well, but something ate them.

There were animal footprints around the pond, so perhaps they ate the sprouts while drinking the water.

I need to change the way we do things, either by taking measures to prevent damage from animals or by planting a quantity that is safe for consumption.

Perhaps it's difficult to eat rosemary, but some of it remains and grows. The challenge is whether it will survive the winter.

Although I don't have the time right now, I might consider hunting, targeting animals that are eating the buds.

I'm trying to propagate olives using cuttings.

There are several methods of making cuttings, but instead of using dormant cuttings, which require a lot of preparation and can only be done in winter, I chose a method that has a low success rate but is by far the easiest to implement.

This is a method called green branch cutting, where you simply collect the sprouts that have finished growing and insert them into the ground.

It appears that out of about 50 green branch cuttings, only three remained without withering.

I hope they can somehow survive the winter as well.

The olives that grew on the wild trees I found during their explorations were harvested when they turned purple, pressed, and preserved as oil.

I didn't have a container to store it in, so I carved it out of a rock and made it into a simple container.

(The rock utensils are so heavy that only I can use them.)

The plant grows quickly, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem that olives can produce fruit many times a year.

As a result, the fruit grows larger, but the yield is not several times higher.

If things went well, I would have liked to harvest them multiple times and mass-produce olive oil, but I gave up on that.

In order to strengthen my skills, I am also preparing a means of transportation from the village.

The first hurdle, the construction of the stairs to climb the waterway above the waterfall, has not yet been completed, but progress is underway.

Although there were many periods when I did not have much free time due to work in the fields, I still started digging in a place a little distance from the waterfall, and within the first three months I was able to build a staircase about 2 meters long.

I made the stairs at a rate of about 5 steps per meter, but for the first month I was barely able to dig any further and was almost heartbroken.

Still, I didn't give up and continued digging little by little every day, and by the second and third months, my digging speed had clearly increased.

From the 4th month onward, the preliminary preparations for reconstruction were almost complete, and I was able to find time to work on the stairs, so I have already dug more than 12 meters in total.

If I dig about 14 meters diagonally at a 45-degree angle, I should reach the 10-meter-high waterfall, so it's probably time to take a breather.

A big reason for the success of the staircase construction is that the mana manipulation and mana absorption skills have been strengthened, but in reality, the height of digging at the top of the stairs was lower than planned.

At first, I was thinking of building a staircase that would be about 2 meters high enough for adults to stand up and walk on, but I realized that I wasn't tall enough and couldn't dig that far.

Therefore, by changing the height to about 1.2m, which was within easy reach, the amount of digging was simply reduced by about 40%, which is quite significant.

I'm also starting to get the hang of mana manipulation.

When hollowing out bedrock, by spreading the mana inside the bedrock and imagining the mana permeating the face of a cube, I was able to hollow out the rock in the shape of that cube.

By the way, when destroying rocks, I can shatter them by infiltrating the entire area to be destroyed with mana and instantly conveying the image of the molecules shaking violently.

The range in which I can expand my mana gradually increased, and my efficiency in making stairs increased proportionally.

If I continue to strengthen my skills and become proficient in the work, I think I can become a specialist in digging holes.

(Well, it's a skill that can be substituted if you have the tools.)

There are also quite a lot of rocks that come out when digging.

After improving my skills, I was able to dig out 30 cubic centimeters of rock, so I tried to carve out rocks of the same size as possible, considering the possibility of using them as building materials.

30 cubic centimeters has a volume that can hold about 27 liters of water.

The specific gravity of rock is about 2 to 3 times that of water, so a single rock carved into a cube should weigh between 54 kg and 81 kg.

However, perhaps due to the effect of skill enhancement, I was able to carry the rock without much difficulty.

The sight of me effortlessly carrying a rock heavier than my own weight would have been quite a strange sight if someone had seen it from the outside.

I am using the hollowed-out rock to build a new building next to the church.

I would like to use the building made of stone as a warehouse.

I still have not ignited the golem in front of the goddess statue, even after six months.

I don't think it's anything, but a god I don't provoke cannot curse me.

The only locked room in the village remained because I didn't know how to open it.

These are the main achievements in the first six months since the start of reconstruction.

I have already almost achieved the goal of securing food and establishing farming methods, so for the remaining six months, I would like to focus on additional exploration and securing travel routes from the village and steadily achieve those goals.

2