Chapter 5 ‘A hearty meal’
548 5 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Nasuki Uzumaki>

'Where am I...?'

Nasuki's slow thoughts struggled to comprehend her situation.

'Water?'

It felt like she was completely submerged in water... but that couldn't be right. She wouldn't be able to breath if that was the case.

'What happened-'

Memories of what transpired flooded back into her mind.

'No, no no! I didn't do that! I'm not a monster!!'

Alertness crept back into her body at a rapid pace bringing clearer and sharper memories. There was no doubt about what she had done to those boys. She had become everything they accused her of being. A monster.

'What have I done?'

Nasuki had messed up. Messed up real bad. It was already bad enough that the villagers thought of them as monsters, now that she had attacked them... there was no hope in staying in the village. If the villagers didn't kill them, they would run them out. The blood on Nasuki was still fresh.

'Damn it... I'm so sorry Naruto'

Nasuki felt her body slowly continue to sink into the water. Her realisation was soul crushing.

She had ruined their lives.

Bubbles bloomed in front of Nasuki's eyes. She suddenly felt water filling up her lungs.

She was drowning.

Fighting against the water, Nasuki tried to swim in the direction she thought up.

Cough!

Nasuki could only praise her luck that the direction she picked was the right one. Imagining alternatives was scary.

'What is this place...?'

The waters were dark, murky, and expansive.... yet still somehow cavernous. 

'How on Earth...?'

In the distance, a massive cage could be seen. It appeared to be anchored on the ground despite the "ground" being water.

Blink

Nasuki found herself standing in front of the cage. The water beneath her feet turning into a solid.

'A dream?'

Before Nasuki could process what was happening, a massive claw struck out from the cage. It stopped a mere centimetre from her face.

It was then she felt a presence. One that seemed to relish in her fear.

 

"Naruto!"(N.S)

Nasuki woke up violently. Her chest felt like a drum, each beat hit with an expression of terror.

She had had nightmares, but none like that.

Nasuki stretched out her hand around the bed in search for a familiar warmth. One she knew wouldn't be there, after all, she only had nightmares whenever Naruto wasn't sleeping next to her.

Taking a deep breath in an attempt to calm herself, Nasuki tried to understand her situation. The room light was on. They never left it on.

'H-how did I get back?'

Nasuki remembered beating those boys to a pulp. She didn't remember walking back. Raising her hand in order to shield her eyes from the light, she noticed the soreness of her muscles. Her whole body felt terrible and just a little horrible.

'My hand is healed?'

The last time she saw this prized limb, it was pumped full of holes. Nasuki had come to learn that shadows can apparently pierce flesh.

'Ninjutsu should be illegal'

Nasuki let out a sigh and looked down at her chest. The light was still too harsh.

'Since when did I own a green shirt?'

The clothes she was wearing were definitely not hers.

'What happened?'

Finally feeling her eyes adjust to the light, Nasuki set them on a hunt to find the truth.

"OY! Stop ignoring me idiot!"(N)

Sat in front of Nasuki was Naruto. He was spotting a half smile half scowl. He was the one that saved her.

"You should really learn to listen to your elders Suki, ya'know? We have lots of wisdom-"(N)

Nasuki stared at Naruto has he rumbled on about some silly nonsense. They didn't have time for this. Who knew how long until the angry villagers found them? How long did they have in order to escape? What would they eat? Where would they sleep? She needed to plan out their escape. She needed to find them food. She needed to make sure they were safe.

Nasuki opened her mouth ready to lecture Naruto.

"Naruto! You...you..."(N.S)

The words weren't coming... but the tears were.

Small, choked sobs escaped Nasuki's lips. Her hands as well as her whole body was trembling.

'AH! WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME!'

Naruto observed Nasuki for a moment before crawling to her.

"You really are such a baby sis..."(N)

Nasuki could almost feel Naruto grinning as he hugged her. She was still older.

"I-I'm sorry Naruto... I th-think I destroyed our lives... I hurt those boys so badly"(N.S)

Nasuki gripped Naruto tighter. How can she lecture him when she was the one that messed up?

"I...I was just so angry. They took all the money we had and destroyed the food I bought. I couldn't just let them..."(N.S)

The entire day had been terrible, and it all started from that crooked shop owner.

"He raised the prices... we only had enough for two weeks...."(N.S)

The more Nasuki spoke, the more it felt like she was just giving lame excuses. She was.

"I'm sorry... I should have been paying more attention. They wouldn't have caught me if I was"(N.S)

If Nasuki hadn't been as lazy, if she hadn't been so mad, if she hadn't been so dumb then maybe this wouldn't have happened.

"I-"(N.S)

"hehe..."(N)

'Is he.... laughing!'

Nasuki tried to shove Naruto off her. What was there to laugh about?

"I-I'm sorry sis! It's just that... when you blame yourself for things that are not your fault and cry, you look so dumb"(N)

Naruto was beyond lucky that Nasuki was tired, otherwise she wouldn't have allowed him to keep rubbing his face on her cheeks. Especially not after he had laughed at her.

"Plus, it's no big deal. We'll figure something out. Also, just so you know. I kinda... spent all the money you managed to save..."(N)

Nasuki could feel Naruto wince at his own words.

'No big deal?! We're going to starve if the villagers don't get us first!'

Deciding to focus on the first and biggest threat, Nasuki continued,

"Naruto... what do you think is going to happen when the villagers hear about this!?"(N.S)

"Pfft, nothing. Those guys would never admit to losing to a little girl"(N)

Nasuki glared at Naruto. The last time she checked, they were almost the same height. If she was little, so was he.

"Not that your little..."(N)

That still wouldn't solve their food problem though. Nasuki was very close to voicing her concerns but held herself.

Naruto was right. They would figure something out... inevitable. 

"Naruto, what did you spend the remaining money on? Where did you get these clothes and how am I so well?"(N.S)

Naruto's eyes were practically beaming after Nasuki asked her questions.

'Ugu, he looks like his going to talk about shinobi again...'

Nasuki couldn't help feeling apprehensive about the words to follow. Naruto liked shinobi a little too much.

'Wait, no way he-'

"I met a shinobi! She was the coolest one I have ever seen. She treated you, cleaned the blood, and even bought you new clothes out of the goodness of her heart!"(N)

"Wow, really?"(N.S)

Nasuki was honestly not expecting that. She always viewed shinobi as dangerous. Not giving. Maybe being a shinobi wouldn't be too bad after all. At least it would stop people from robbing her.

"Yes, really! Do you see what I mean when I say shinobi are the best? We should totally become shinobi!"(N)

Nasuki gazed at Naruto for a couple of seconds. Something about the way he was speaking was off.

"Maybe... for now though. Where is that shinobi?"(N.S)

Besides the two of them, there was no one else in the room.

"What do you mean? She's right over... I guess she left"(N)

Naruto had turned around and looked at the chair that had been pulled close to the bed.

"Whatever, let's just go and sleep"(N.S)

It was still very much night. 

Nasuki patted the space next to her while gazing intently at Naruto.

"What happened to not needing me to sleep?"(N)

"Shut up and get in"(N.S)

Naruto hit the lights off before jumping in.

'Ahhh, I forgot to ask what he spent the money on...'

Feeling too tired to try and open her mouth again, Nasuki decided to ask him later.

 

"Quick! Under here!"(N.S)

Naruto and Nasuki ran to find cover under the stand that was still open. They both stood under it clutching bags full of berries and wild plants.

"Of all the times..."(N)

It was really unfortunate the one time they decided to carry back the extra; it would rain so heavily.

"Try and look at the positive side. At least we got so much. Plus, we found some cover. We'll be good to go the moment this clears up"(N.S)

The process of deducing which berries and fruits were okay to eat was nothing short of harrowing. After multiple incidents, they had come to the conclusion that green, yellow and white berries were generally bad. Blue, black and purple coloured berries were the best.

Nasuki ignored Naruto as he begun to grumble. An attitude like that won't get them anywhere.

"Yo, kids!"

The twins froze and turned around to the location from where they heard the voice.

"Come grab a meal"

Two bowls of steaming ramen were laid on the long table of the store.

"You best hurry before it gets cold"

The twins stared at the bowls of food unmoving... until Naruto took a step forward.

"What are you doing?! This is obviously a trick!"(N.S)

Nasuki had grabbed Naruto's freehand and begun dragging him out of the store. They didn't have a lot to lose.

"I'm too hungry to care!"(N)

Naruto freed his hand from Nasuki's and made a mad dash to the chairs.

"Naruto!"(N.S)

Nasuki chased after her brother and tackled him before he could reach the chair. They both fell to the ground... and destroyed their bountiful hunt.

"Look at what you did!"(N.S)

"You did this! It doesn't matter anyway though, there's real food right in front of us!"(N)

"You idiot! We can't afford that, no way!"(N.S)

The siblings argued back and forth on the ground before the man who served them ramen spoke,

"Don't worry it's on the house"

Naruto shot Nasuki a look that screamed 'try and stop me' before throwing her off him and hopping on the chair.

"Idiot!"(N.S)

Before she could stop him, Naruto was already cramming down the food.

"Owww! Hot!"(N)

Despite saying that, Naruto's speed only reduced to half of what it was.

 Nasuki eyed her brother with fury.

"Come on little lass, if you don't hurry your brother might finish yours"

Nasuki gazed at her bowl. She was damn hungry but was not eager to make a mistake.

Naruto paused eating then took a spoon full of ramen and shoved it into Nasuki's mouth.

"Come on sis, think positively"(N)

Nasuki swallowed the spoon of ramen. It was beyond delicious.

"If we die, I'm blaming you"(N.S)

Finally taking a seat, Nasuki peered at the man who served them.

"Thank you, sir"(N.S)

"Alright! Let's eat!"(N)

22