Chapter 48: Seeking the Path Forward
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Wu Qingsong and Harold stepped into the room, Ram was busily preparing tea. On the table stood a small stove with a diminutive kettle atop it, emitting the comforting scent of sheep's milk.

As Ram served them both cups of warm sheep's milk, Nina began, "I've been updated on the recent events. You both have been of immense help to us over the last few months. My primary reason for coming today is to personally express my deep gratitude."

Wu Qingsong promptly stood up, insisting he had benefitted more from their help than they had from his. Especially from Nina. Without her, he might still be in Kleine’s clutches, facing an unpredictable destiny.

He was aware that if not for Nina and her crew's daring rescue and diversion in Rem City that night, escape would have been impossible. While he believed he might have been spared, the fates of Ling and Liuli would have been grim.

Harold, however, remained silent, attentively waiting for Nina to unveil her true intentions.

After a brief exchange of courtesies with Wu Qingsong, Nina delved straight into the heart of the matter.

"Our contacts in Umber sent news last night. The corpses have been found, and as we suspected, the discovery sent shockwaves through the city guards of Umber. This happened just a stone's throw from the city walls, after all. Their two-day investigation pinpointed these mastiffmen coming from Sil City, registered as mercenaries under Baron Elyar's banner. As a result, envoys have been sent to Sil City demanding an explanation for the mercenary group's presence in the Umber dominion. In return, they've dispatched their own to inspect the situation and the bodies.”

After pouring each of them a cup of hot sheep's milk, Ram added, “We managed to confuse the situation by taking Kleine's body and burning the carriage, making it hard for them to draw a swift conclusion. However, Sil City's authorities didn't seem to hold Kleine in high regard. Almost all of Pikes' men were killed there, and their deaths were evidently brutal. The Umber Council has exerted some pressure, seeing this as a violation of their autonomy. So, Sil City officials are inclined to gloss over the event, treating Kleine's case as a mere disappearance.”

"Though the final verdict isn't out," Nina added, "given the city guard's usual way of handling things, in the absence of a powerful faction demanding a thorough investigation, matters like this tend to fizzle out. If there's no direct benefit for them, they won’t pursue the matter."

"Are you suggesting we might be able to go back soon?" Wu Qingsong asked.

Nina glanced at Harold. "I've brought both of you here to discuss just that. Personally, I believe that to sidestep potential trouble, if you want to maintain your previous lifestyle, it'd be wise to start anew in another city. Phoenix or Polopolore Port would be prime choices. Ram is prepared to help with the transition, which should set you both on a promising path to a new life."

Wu Qingsong's head bobbed in a reflexive nod, but his inner thoughts veered in a different direction.

In this world, the fervor for wealth outstriped the pace of productive progress. While magic had spurred some advancements, the majority was overshadowed by the ruthless scramble for riches.

Even if he were to move to another city, all he would likely do was recreate his life in Umber, albeit maybe more cleverly. While Ram might arrange a more convincing identity for him, making his life slightly better than it was in Umber, it still wouldn't allow him to live with his head held high.

The idea of doing the same tasks daily, coping with unavoidable deceptions and manipulations, and possibly dealing with hidden plots and schemes, weighed heavily on him.

When even Nina, a young woman, could bravely declare, "The Silver Moon Wolf Clan never bows," shouldn't he, a traveler between worlds, aim higher than settling for simple comforts and leading a life in the shadows?

More so, when he realized he was invincible and possessed another unique power?

In games Wu Qingsong played back home, he always steered clear of trade skills, feeling that crafting and trading were mere drains on time. Perhaps it was his nature, but he was more inclined to earn rewards by battling monsters. He loved venturing into every hidden corner of game maps, on the lookout for hidden tasks or potential events.

He hadn't acted on this urge before due to a lack of capability and opportunity. Liuli and Ling also needed his attention. But now, this longing resurfaced with greater intensity.

‘The world is vast, and I'm eager to see it all!’

These words almost spilled from his lips, but, thankfully, he restrained himself just in time.

"Princess Nina," Harold began after a pause. "We need a moment to discuss. Could we meet again shortly?"

"Of course," Nina replied without hesitation.

They then stepped out of the room.

"What's on your mind?" Unable to contain his curiosity for long, Wu Qingsong posed the question after a brief walk.

"You're the employer, so the decision lies with you," Harold noted.

"Come on, are you still on about that?" Wu Qingsong shook his head. After their shared experiences, he already viewed the elder wolfman as a trustworthy ally. "I need your advice. What do you believe we should do?"

"I can't suggest anything without knowing your thoughts," Harold countered.

"I don't really want to return to the life we had before," Wu Qingsong confessed, then went on to express his feelings, naturally omitting his transmigrator status.

Harold observed him silently, his face betraying no surprise as if he'd seen this coming. Once Wu Qingsong had poured out all his thoughts and feelings, and his initial enthusiasm waned, Harold voiced his thoughts.

"It's understandable you'd feel this way. However, I must tell you, the life you imagine differs from reality. Your brief stint after departing Karazhan gave you a taste, intermittent hunger, relentless vigilance against surprise attacks from wildlife, sleeping under the open sky, enduring rains, wearing the same clothes for weeks or even months, all while exuding a persistent foul stench. Additionally, the ever-looming threats of illness, the monstrous fauna, bandit ambushes, shakedowns by local troops, and the perpetual risk of being mislabeled as rebels and executed as trophies only add to the dangers. Being a half-elf might slightly lessen the last risk, but your heritage won't spare you from the other challenges. You'll have to confront each one. Why do people flock to cities? Why, despite knowing their territories are tainted by those beneath them, do elves still opt for the imperial capital?" Harold mused.

"From where did you derive such a notion of adventures and travels? Heroic tales or poetry, maybe? The life you're yearning for mirrors that of impoverished mercenaries. At the first glimmer of a better option, they'd forsake that grueling existence, never wishing to return. The world, vast as it is, largely consists of hostile terrains teeming with lurking dangers. Maybe you'll survive, but are you willing to let Liuli and Ling endure that with you? If you value my advice, then bluntly, your thinking is utter nonsense."

A sensation of icy water pouring over him engulfed Wu Qingsong. After pausing, he forced a wry smile.

"You've truly mastered the art of raining on parade. Alright, in your eyes, what's my next move? Join Nina?"

"If she wanted you to join, her earlier words would've been different," Harold countered. "Were I in her position, I wouldn't harbor the illusion of controlling you for long. Spare me your refute. Even if you don't harbor such intentions now, your abilities suggest you won't be content playing a subordinate role for long. I must commend Nina's discernment over Ram's. She clearly hopes for you to become a powerful and reliable ally."

"So, what then?"

"If you don't wish to live as you did before, and you yearn for adventure on your own terms, not as a mere subordinate, then your prime choice is to register and form a hunter group in a suitable location."

"A hunter group?" Wu Qingsong was taken aback by the suggestion. "I wouldn't engage in something like that."

"There are different types of hunter groups," Harold replied.

Elves, wielding formidable magical abilities, had come to dominate the entire continent after centuries of warfare. However, even for them, the vastness of the land presented challenges, and their limited numbers made it difficult to establish detailed and complete governance. Even as they added half-elves into their ruling class, effective control remained focused around critical transit points, fertile grain-producing regions, vital mines, ports, and cities.

Beyond these hubs lay extensive stretches of wild lands. While rebel forces, such as the wolf clans led by Nina, occupied some of these regions, a considerable portion had fallen into desolation after the native inhabitants were eradicated by the elves. Now, these abandoned lands were claimed by brutal creatures lacking sophisticated intelligence.

Furthermore, several other species remained defiant against the elves. Among them were the insectoids and lizardfolk, ancient rulers of the continent who were forced to seek refuge underground after losing in their struggles. Not to mention the merfolk, who held dominion over vast marine territories, rivaling the elves in strength.

These savage species had their civilizations. Yet, their ability to communicate with the beastfolk and elves was almost non-existent, leading to wars that spanned thousands of years.

"Merfolk can't remain out of the sea for too long, so their influence is minimal. However, they're a nuisance to ports and shipping routes. Thus, regional lords and free port councils incentivize merfolk extermination, even putting bounties on the heads of different merfolk ranks. In seaport cities like Phoenix, several mercenary groups specialize in this hunt. But they typically need their own battleships and tend to be large, often consisting of beastmen like sealkin or walrusfolk who can remain submerged for long periods. It might not be the right fit for you. In contrast, insectoids and lizardfolk present a different challenge. While most known entryways to the underground are military-sealed, elves view periodic purges of these domains as a noble obligation. But these beings reproduce rapidly and are ever digging new tunnels. Consequently, they often emerge unpredictably in isolated regions, sometimes occupying areas long-term and ambushing nearby villages and merchant convoys. These intermittent insectoid sightings are a constant thorn in the side of elven nobles, leading many mercenary groups to focus on their eradication. Some half-elves have even reaped significant rewards for such efforts, effectively becoming landed vassals. As a half-elf, forming a hunter group should be straightforward for you. This would also ensure unrestricted access to weapons and gear. Then comes the adventure and battles you desire. If luck is on your side and you secure your territory, Liuli and Ling can enjoy a stable life. This path might be the best match for your ambitions," Harold summarized.

0