Chapter 49: The Decision Has Been Made
33 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Harold's words held a vast amount of information, requiring Wu Qingsong to spend some time to fully grasp all the intricacies relayed.

After thorough reflection, Wu Qingsong conceded that this avenue might indeed be the most optimal choice for him currently.

On paper, hunter groups were still obliged to swear fealty to the regional lords, adhering to their commands and leadership. Yet, in practice, since elves seldom concerned themselves with such nitty-gritty matters, the oversight of these groups typically rested with the territory's defense commander, and half-elves fitting the criteria often formed them.

Relative to the local defense forces, hunter groups had a higher degree of independence, primarily because they didn't rely on the territory directly for provisions and wages.

Unlike thriving trade cities, which had the means to commission hunter groups for merfolk hunts, landlocked territories often struggled to provide the appropriate bounties for these groups. As a result, they had to resort to alternative means of compensation.

Mercenaries clashing with the rebels were, by default, granted a kind of implicit consent to plunder villages siding with the rebellion, even selling captured residents as slaves. Given the perilous nature of mines, plantations, and the gladiatorial pits favored by the elves, the demand for slaves was ceaseless. This ensured that slave trading remained lucratively enticing, so much so that even the territorial defense forces sometimes indulged in such activities.

Yet, for the hunter groups persistently skirmishing with insectoids or lizardfolk, substantial profits weren't as easily forthcoming.

Alive insectoids and lizardfolk were hot commodities for the gladiatorial battles and commanded handsome sums. However, these beings were notoriously violent, making it challenging to capture them alive. Even if captured, their transport was daunting, rendering them less than ideal targets.

True riches came from the subterranean gems and precious metals fashioned into adornments found on their bodies. While these treasures might be limited in quantity, it was precisely this scarcity that often elevated their worth. From time to time, the carcasses of insectoids and lizardfolk might provide valuable materials, and occasionally, even the costly ingredients coveted by alchemists. But obtaining these required a wealth of experience and a deft hand. Not every hunter group could turn such endeavors into profits.

In light of these challenges, such hunter groups were often granted the right to harness resources from specific mountain or forest regions they operated within, treating these harvested goods as their rightful recompense. Minerals, medicinal herbs, natural fragrances, wood, and pelts all become lucrative merchandise. On occasion, once they've dispatched the invasive creatures, a few audacious hunter groups might even brave the underground through the tunnels dug by these beings, in search of those sought-after gems and ores.

In such circumstances, many of these hunter groups, in reality, didn't fare much better than the average citizen, forever grappling with the specter of poverty.

Only in exceptional cases, when a mercenary group's achievements were too remarkable for usual remunerations to do justice, might a magnanimous lord bestow upon the group's leader a parcel of land–often harassed by the very pests–and its associated settlements. This leader was then inducted as a noble within the lord's territory and pushed to persist in their fierce battles against insectoids or lizardfolk to protect their newly gained property.

"It all sounds so... tragic," Wu Qingsong remarked, a hint of sorrow in his voice. "Isn't that a bit too harsh?"

"Do you find it unworthy?" Harold countered. "Such feats could propel these half-elves to the upper echelons of the empire. For the rest of their lives, they are regarded as nobility, basking in nearly all its privileges. If the path wasn't so treacherous, can you fathom the number of half-elves that would ardently chase this honor?"

"Fair point," Wu Qingsong, pondering Harold's words, finally nodded in agreement.

For many, it might seem an insurmountable task. But he trusted that his knowledge from the previous world would ensure he had a leg up on most. And, of course, he had that ace up his sleeve, didn’t he?

Even if this so-called territory didn't yield immediate returns, he could, on his own land, manufacture goods that would be in high demand. Then, he could entrust Ram and her team with selling them. Considering this world's pace of information dissemination, he was confident in keeping a firm grip on production techniques and technology.

In his mind's eye, he could already see his troops–donned in plate armor and armed with guns–vanquishing all manner of formidable adversaries.

Perhaps he was letting his imagination run a bit wild. Nevertheless, this seemed like the optimal path for him.

Their choice took Nina and Ram aback momentarily, but Nina quickly expressed her approval.

"So, how can we assist in this endeavor?" she asked proactively.

"We need to secure a legitimate identity for Wu," Harold began. "Then, we must acquire the credentials to establish a hunter group. This involves recruiting troops and procuring basic weaponry and equipment, all of which won't come cheap."

"We've got the weaponry and gear covered," Nina countered. "The force you're forming initially won't be large. Shouldn't the resources from Kleine's team suffice? As for Wu's identity, we might try our luck in Polopolore. Maybe we can find records of a vanished half-elf with a striking resemblance. If Wu aims for a title of nobility, this identity needs to be absolutely impeccable."

Ram added, "Regarding the hunter group qualifications, if your goal is to earn military merits from those creatures, you're likely looking at remote and dangerous locations. If you're a half-elf with enough manpower, they'd likely be eager for your help. Have you chosen a location yet?"

"I was hoping to gather your thoughts," said Harold.

For the benefit of ongoing collaboration, it was essential that the location wasn't too distant.

However, to ensure Wu Qingsong's team wasn't mobilized to attack the Silver Moon Wolf Clan, it shouldn't be too close either. It would be ideal to steer clear of the territories of the lords adjacent to this land.

To make military achievements more accessible, the creatures' activity should be reasonably lively but not to an extent that draws the elves' significant attention. Otherwise, Wu Qingsong's forces might find it challenging to gain a foothold.

Crucially, the overseeing lord should be an elf sympathetic to half-elves, demonstrating a high level of acceptance and preferably one less inclined to interfere excessively in their territory’s matters.

Considering these specifics, the choices seem quite narrowed down.

"Esola," Ram finally proposed a location.

"I've heard of that place," Harold responded, a crease forming on his brow. "Wasn't it previously under the Norwei Wolf Clan's control?"

Nina added, her tone touched with sorrow, "Following the kingdom's downfall, they gradually relocated to the northern wastelands. The handful who resisted had to eventually disperse from that area after the creatures invaded. No trace of the wolf clan remains there today."

Wu Qingsong looked towards Harold. Upon seeing a slight nod of agreement from him, he gently tapped the table, "So, we've settled on this location?"

"We'll begin searching for a suitable identity for you," Nina said. "It might take us a month or two, maybe even longer. Is that alright?"

"That won't be an issue," replied Wu Qingsong, having previously discussed this with Harold. "We'll also require some more time for combat training, say about two to three months. During this period, I can also work on producing more soap."

"Then that's our plan," affirmed Nina.

Contrary to Wu Qingsong's expectations, he thought that after concluding this matter, Nina would be eager to witness Liuli's transformation firsthand. And then... well, he assumed there would be a somewhat inevitable experiment.

Though it felt somewhat self-deprecating to think this way, the idea filled him with a blend of excitement and trepidation.

However, after everything was set, Nina departed in haste. Surprisingly, she didn't even touch upon the topic from start to finish.

More chapters on my website. Please take a look.

0