Caught Red Handed
49 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Sub to the Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@SnowwindTCG)


It appeared that the White Mage was determined to wait at the convenience store until the delivery arrived, remaining seated even after the crowd of customers had dispersed.

“…Are you really planning to wait until 2 o’clock?” I inquired, noting the time was already 12:30pm, and it seemed unlikely she could endure another two and a half hours of waiting.

Still, it was a bit unsettling to have her just sitting at the table, staring at my direction without saying or doing anything.

Normally, when waiting like that, people would take out their phones and do something, not just quietly observe others.

Of course, there probably wouldn’t be a phone in this universe.

“That’s right. Is there a problem?, ”The White Mage nodded without any concern.

Usually, sitting in one position like that for so long would make one’s body stiff.“

No, it’s just a bit stifling…”

“Ah, you mean this outfit?” The White Mage gestured to her attire—a white frock coat and a golden halo atop her head. 

Through the brim of her hat, golden strands of hair peeked out. Her face, shadowed yet sparkling with eyes the color of gold, revealed little else. 

But one thing was clear: she was indeed the head of the White Mages.

“It’s certainly a bit stifling, but this outfit is enchanted with magic that makes it difficult for others to recognize me.”

Her outfit had such a function?

No wonder, even with so many customers coming and going in the convenience store, not a single one recognized her.

Normally, someone in such attire might attract attention, and with the addition of a light bulb atop their head, curiosity would surely arise.

That’s how it was with the usual weirdos who hung around the convenience store.

“Angels are not meant to be conspicuous to people,” the White Mage explained. “If necessary, they will reveal their form and identity, but for now, I conceal my true self and appearance.”

But why do I see her so clearly ?

It bothered me a bit, but it was probably something that had to do with the U.C. Convenience store.

This store wasn't ordinary, boasting various functions related to magic, many of which remained unexplored. 

Or perhaps the White Mage was intentionally revealing herself to me.

“Come to think of it, how can you see me?,” The White Mage seemed to realize something was off only now, and she asked me with surprise.

Now that I thought about it, it didn’t seem to be the latter.

“I don’t know either. Wasn’t that what you were showing me?”.”

“Well, I thought it would show itself to those who want to have a conversation…”

The White Mage’s demeanor seemed somewhat lax, unlike what one might expect from a sorcerer. 

Ordinarily, they would be meticulous or possess high intelligence. However, this White Mage gave off an aura of disarray.

“These robes are a precious heirloom passed down to me by my master. However, I haven’t heard a detailed explanation, so I don’t have a thorough understanding of it myself.”

Could it be that even within the White Tower, where the White Mage resides, she holds a relatively low position? 

Considering her direct presence here instead of sending subordinates, it seemed plausible.

It seemed that while the white sorcerer had reached a certain level to possess a halo, much like how the top 1% differs from the top 0.1%, there might be distinctions in rank among white sorcerers.

“It seems like your master was an amazing white mage.”

“Yeah, he was an amazing person.”

I played along, giving appropriate responses, while waiting for the store owner’s reply regarding the message.

However, to my disappointment, the store owner still hadn’t even read the message.

Could she possibly be asleep?

Clank!

“Why are you like this?.”

So, what’s the problem this time?

With no customers and passing my time absentmindedly, suddenly the white sorcerer once again walked up to the counter and pointed the barrel of his gun at me.

“Hey, how could you know that I’m a white mage?.”

Let me correct myself.It’s not just one thing that is amiss. There are several.

Does he really not know, so he’s asking me?

“Excuse me, do you happen to know that there’s a sparkling bulb-like thing above your head?.”

“…A bulb? That’s funny. When my master was wearing this robe, not only was the halo not visible, but the wings were also not visible.”

Snap!

Perhaps I was so stunned that, even with the barrel of the gun right in front of me, I casually grabbed the white sorcerer’s shoulder

“What are you doing?.”

“Would you mind coming with me for a moment?.”

And while still holding onto her shoulder, I headed towards the display shelf with the facial cleansing products.

I took out a mirror from there and handed it to her to see for herself.

The white mage furrowed her brow and exclaimed, “Why is there a mirror here all of a sudden?.” 

After staring at the mirror for about 10 seconds, her face and Halo’s color started turning red this time.

It seems like she really didn’t know.

“Why, why is this floating here?! I’m certain that when the master used it, nothing was visible…!.”

A very startled reaction.

Do you think I would know if you ask me?

How could I possibly know something that even you don’t know yourself?

“Moreover, didn’t you just mention the word ‘angel’ with your own mouth? As far as I know, the white mages are the only ones here in the state who are known to treat angels as if they are gods. Unless there is some other reason-“

“Uh…stop! That’s enough! I admit, I was careless! But this is the first time I’ve come out of that stuffy tower alone!.”

If necessary, I could have mentioned about 10 more suspicious points, but the white mage could no longer bear the embarrassment and covered my mouth with both hands.

“Why didn’t they tell me why they could see my Halo…!”

But now, I couldn’t even breathe because my nose was covered.

“Wait, come to think of it, besides you, no one else could have seen me.”

Wait, this could be very dangerous.

While the white mage was still speaking about her personal matters, she continued to block my respiratory tract.

If she continues to cover my mouth like this in the middle of speaking, I can’t hold out for long.

Even though I wanted to ask her to let me go, my mouth was blocked.

Despite being relatively small in stature, her strength was surprisingly strong. Even though I had exercised, I couldn’t budge.

“It’s just a matter of you closing your mouth. Just because you noticed that I am a white mage, there’s no need to freak out. But if people here find out about that fact, it’ll only bring annoying rumors.”

After speaking to herself about various things, she finally relaxed.

Please, just release me.

I feel like I’m about to die.

I frantically tapped the white magician’s hand as if I were tapping out in a fight, three times in a row.

“Huh? Oops, sorry. Are you alright?.”

“Heh, heh…”

I took deep breaths, enjoying the burst of oxygen that I had been deprived of.

Just before losing consciousness, the blocked hand was finally released.

Looking at the mirror, unlike the red-faced white magician and Halo, my face was very pale blue.

I almost died so insignificantly. 

Well, I’ve already died in the past more insignificantly than that.

“Anyway, do you understand now? Stop catching random people and check if you’ve made any mistakes yourself.”

I sighed in relief and collapsed onto the chair.

“Okay, I understand. I’ll sincerely apologize again…”

The White Mage removed her hat and bowed her head, offering an apology.

Although, she didn’t seem to think she did anything wrong.

“Fine. If you’re sorry, just wait quietly like before. When the delivery arrives, accept it and go. It’s tiring dealing with you.”

“…Sure, I’ll wait quietly here,” the White Mage resumed her silent stance, though her gaze remained fixed on me.

Being scrutinized continuously was already bothersome, and her unwavering stare only furthered the discomfort.

“Do I seem suspicious to you?,” she asked.

“Not very, just suspicious in an ordinary way. Carrying a gun around isn’t exactly normal.”

Despite her unusual choice of weaponry, her appearance was a pleasant surprise.

With her cloak removed, her face emanated a warmth akin to the morning sun. Her clean blond hair and subtly sparkling golden eyes bore a resemblance to the celestials.

“If it’s because of the gun, I intentionally changed it to something easy to conceal. When you saw my gun yesterday, you were quite surprised, right?” she elaborated.

“No, whether the gun is big or small, carrying it around is suspicious, isn’t it?.”

The discrepancy lay in her actions conflicting with her appearance.

“In the White Mage Tower, if you have a Halo, anyone can have their own gun. Of course, it may not be the same everywhere, but doesn’t everyone have at least one gun or a similar weapon at home?” she reasoned.

“…Not at all?.”

Her casual discussion of such matters was unsettling.

Thud!

“Oh, this is—”

“A key? Did it fall from the ceiling?.”

Then, a key fell onto the table

– Store Manager –

[Mr. Kim Hyun-woo, the package ordered by the customer has arrived. Preparations are complete, so please take this key and retrieve it from the safe. The safe is in the warehouse, so please make sure to deliver it properly.]

It seems the package ordered by the White Mage had finally arrived.

“The item you ordered has arrived. My boss said it’s in the warehouse, so I’ll go get it.”

“Really?! Okay, I’ll go with you! I couldn’t sleep at all last night because I was so excited for the delivery!” she exclaimed, displaying an almost childlike enthusiasm.

Well, at least she seemed more excited than apprehensive.

Maybe I can finally relax once this customer leaves. 

It's been mentally and physically exhausting.

-Store Manager-

[You do realize a customer is waiting for you, right?]

Suddenly, with the store manager’s message, I realized that another guest had arrived. 

I haven’t heard the door open, so where could they be?.

“Hurry up and let’s go! I want to shoot once…”

The cheerful white mage suddenly fell silent, spotting the new guest who had arrived at the convenience store.

Alencia stood in front of the counter, waiting for me. 

“Oh, Miss Arlencia? When did you-“

She turned around upon hearing my voice.

Bang!

In a shocking turn of events, the white mage swiftly pulled out her handgun and shot Alencia.

“What on earth are you doing?!” I exclaimed, bewildered by her actions. 

But what happened next was even more astonishing.

“…White Mage Seretini, why are you here?.”

Crack!

Alencia caught the bullet in her hand.

And not only did she catch it, but she also crushed it into dust in her grip. 

What is going on? This universe seems to have altered into a different genre than what I expected…

“Tsk, a handgun is not enough against an annoying monster,” Seretini, the white mage remarked, her tone filled with disdain.

“I don’t know what brought you to my city, but if you’re holding innocent people hostage, you won’t be exempt from capital punishment,” she continued, her voice carrying an air of authority.

The convenience store, once peaceful, began to feel like a battlefield, and I found myself unwillingly caught in the middle as a hostage.

-Kim Hyunwoo-

[Manager, can’t you do something about this?]

I sent a plea for help to the manager before the situation could escalate any further. Since I had sent a message earlier, she would likely read it right away.

-Store Manager-

[This new popcorn is more delicious than I expected. I should consider adding it to the products… Ah, Mr. Kim Hyun-woo? I am not supposed to interfere with the store’s operations for a period of 8 hours. So please handle it smoothly.]

The manager read the message immediately, but she had sent a reply without erasing her true thoughts. 

She must be enjoying this situation while munching on popcorn.

4