113: Facing a giant
182 8 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gregory Goddard sits up as I watch; he apparently went to sleep in full uniform (in army green, for whatever reason), complete with his medals.  They appear to be made of gold… and given that they're three feet tall and five wide, that's a lot of gold… assuming it's not a thin coat, which it could be.  Not that material wealth matters with Controller around. Or me, for that matter.

The general looks around, furrows his brow in confusion for a moment, and then looks down, nods lightly when he sees me, and speaks in a voice that booms like thunder and makes my teeth rattle, “Fleet Admiral Abrams?”

Fortunately, I can fly.  I head up to his eye level, setting myself a good thirty feet away from him, then make an illusory avatar of myself, scaled to sixty feet, via Spheres of Power talents.  I'm not trying to fool him - just communicate in a convenient manner, “That's me,” I have my illusory avatar salute.

The last kraken blinks at me, “You're NOT using the array for that?”

He can see magic, huh? Good to know, “I'm not, no. It's cool, but too easy to disrupt the flow of power.”

He considers, “If there's more like you…” he shakes his head, “But that's not relevant.  CONTROLLER!”

“Yes general?” My worshiper replies through the ship's comms.

“Do you still answer to me?” I have kind of already told him the answer to that, but if he needs to hear it from Controller, I'll let him.

And the general gets the answer I was expecting, “I have found the goddess, and answer to her now, Gregory.  She raised me from the dead, and broke the curse of eternal hunger.  I am hers for as long as she'll have me.”

General Goddard looks my avatar up and down, and asks, “So where is this goddess?”

“You've been talking to him,” she pipes back through the speakers.

The last Kraken looks at me far more carefully, “What are you, exactly?”

I roll my illusory avatar's eyes, “Complicated.” I'm most assuredly not giving you a breakdown until I trust you better, if ever, “but she's not exactly wrong.”

The old general pauses, “I see. Well… would you mind making me a nice unarmed Mark Six as a retirement package, then?”

I crinkle my forehead as my illusion remains still… but Controller has my back, “If you're ordering up a Mark Six, armed or not, you're not planning to retire.  I am willing to build you a nice yacht, but nothing with military spec production capacity.”

The bomb is already diffused, so… “What’s a Mark Six?”

The general chuckles, “A scaled down version of The Manufactury. We deployed them to field outposts for resupply; they're not as fast as my lady here, and they don't have the onboard processing for new designs, but park one in the outskirts of a gas giant and you can spit out standard designs quickly enough… including more Mark Six's, and I’m sure you can guess where that leads. I was mostly asking to see if it was a matter of working under duress. Had she said yes, I would have come back to free her later.”

That next to last sentence was a lie, and the last was a half-truth, but I'm not going to call you on it, general, “But you'll settle for a nice unarmed civilian craft, right?” I inject.

“Oh yes,” he admits, “I will ply the currents I swim.”

Great; because I no longer want you anywhere nearby, even if I can't justify executing you to myself, “Great! Controller, do you have any suitable unarmed luxury yacht designs without that kind of fabrication tech?”

“They are what we gave the senators, yes,” my friendly reformed planet eater answers, “Bay thirty six Whisky, general; it'll be waiting by the time you get there.”

He raises his eyebrows, “So soon?  The capacitors don't hold that much juice… even with a full belly I'd expect that to take a few days.”

“The goddess has blessed me mightily,” my new favorite ship replies, “The capacitors simply don't run out anymore.”

The general whistles, “If we could have done that…” he looks at me again, focusing through the illusion, “...a quiet retirement sounds nice, I think.”

And he means it this time, “I'm glad to hear it,” I smile, “Let’s get you to your new ship, hmm?”  And honestly, I’m kind of curious what the senators were regularly given….

We walk out of the captain’s cabin, down the massive… okay, for him, it’s a standard sized… hallway to the nearest transport unit (the same one I used to get here).  We hop in, and go… largely in silence.  Mind you, while these things go VERY fast, the ship is bigger than most inhabited planets; it still takes a while to get anywhere.  And we do chat a little along the way… nothing particularly meaningful, though, and he doesn’t try anything.

The hangar is, of course, enormous.  There's air now - breathable air, even - but the ship in question isn't landed. The hangar looks more like an airport, with terminal gates and those tubes running “outside” to where the actual ship is docked… and it is not going to be able to land. It's Huge, on the starship scale… but I suppose that's necessary when the intended occupant is sixty feet tall.  I walk him (and my illusory avatar) to the gate, where the general pauses.

“Do take care of her, Alex,” he seems… wistful? “...she's a fine lady, treat her right.”

He heads through the airlock before I figure out exactly what he means.  No matter… I head back to the transport unit, and ask Controller, “so what's the interior like?”

She forms her avatar just to shrug, “It's a luxury yacht: It has a bathtub, a bed, a swimming pool, a holographic amusement center, and so on; a sky crane for getting on and off planets; a decoy husk and an emergency accelerator for getting out of fights; an AI… sorry, VI… with a skill expander to be able to fix itself up and take care of the occupants, a small conversion unit with a limited dataset for food, basic tools, and fancy clothing; and of course a small scanner… you know, a normal luxury yacht.”

Hmm… “Once you're up on current developments, I might want to have you design a few ships for me… or rather three, with copies.  Can you do biomechanical ships?”

“No… living cells are too complicated and interdependent to encode on that scale. They don't pattern well, so anything bigger than…” she pauses, “let's go with ‘a mouse’... simply won't fit in the data buffers, and for obvious reasons a staged build just doesn't work with anything biological.”

I consider, “Because half of a living organism won't live long, and even if it did, the splice point would start healing over and stop meeting the assumptions necessary for a continued build,” and the result is a pretty gruesome thought.  Probably good for cloning replacement organs, though… as long as they're smaller than a mouse, or are scanned while in a frozen state.

“Right,” the ship agrees, “Computing units, on the other hand, are carefully organized sets of small identical structures, so they compress well when the scanner understands what data is safe to lose, and structural components are much simpler still. But of course, the best compression comes from what I design myself.”

“Because then you're making use of pattern fills directly within the instructions,” I complete. “I definitely need to get you proper network access…." 

And I spend the next several hours setting up a relay via The Retcon's network connection, making sure data will be properly sanitized with virus scans and firewalls (I don't want Controller catching anything), and sorting out how to adapt the data connection.

After that, I let Controller catch up on ship tech.  I even give her a nice little budget for paid access when needed… and then I give her three ship specs I'd like her to build.

The first is for a fighter, with all the trimmings (power, shields, engines, weapons, computer, security, sensors, et cetera: as good as a fighter can get on an unlimited budget). The next uses an Explorer base, with one cargo hold (to carry things as a shuttle if needed), an extra power core housing (to have enough power), a launch tube (for the fighter, to act as a shuttle when needed) and all the best of everything else. The third design is, of course, a Supercolossal Base Ship with the colony ship framework for the base, all the expansion bays (most notably including a hangar, which can carry Medium ships on a Supercolossal frame), and the best of everything (I do keep half of the ship's weapons down to just Heavy weapons, though: Capital weapons cannot target Small or Tiny ships, you see). And I skip Spinal weapons entirely. Yeah, they do a lot of damage, but the tech just isn't there yet: They take two rounds to charge before they can fire, have a cool down period (variable, two to eight rounds of combat), and only do about three or four times the damage of equivalent capital weapons. So an Ultra X-Laser Cannon deals 6d8x10 damage, while the Super X-Laser Cannon deals 3d4x10 damage. The Super cannon fires three times (for 9d4x10) by the time the Ultra Cannon fires once for 6d8x10… and then the Super Cannon gets at least five more shots in (and as many as eight more) before the Ultra Cannon gets a second shot in. Add to that the higher power requirements and the aiming restrictions… and Spinal Mount weapons just aren't worth it, even before the cost difference.

It takes Controller a day to gather all the specific component designs, a week to render the Fighter plans, a month to render the Explorer plans, and three more months to render the Base Ship design.

Oh yes: And I have her include the replication tech in each. Given time and source materials, the Fighters can make basic supplies, the Explorers can make those and the Fighters, the Base Ships can make all of the above plus the Explorers, and can self-replicate… eventually.

That last might not be a great idea, but if the tech is possible, it’ll become known eventually again anyway: I may as well use it.

9