SSSC I Winner: Nightmares
51 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The void. Dark. Cold. Lonely. Here, there was no time. No life. Just emptiness. Yet, in the depth of the void, there was an unanswered call. Amid the nothingness, there was an entity waiting shrouded in mysteries. Its size was humongous. Its was made out of countless stars and nebula. Its eyes were bright and ancient as if they had witnessed the beginning of worlds. The being was waiting, waiting for a sign, waiting for someone. Its aura boundless and immemorial. It pointed out toward the one it has been waiting for.

There was only dread and hopelessness. Yu Ran stared at the being in front of her in terror. Something, somewhere deep in her soul was terrified. It was looking for her. Pursuing her without rest. Seizing her dreams, shaking her core and leaving only terror at sunrise.

Every time, Yu Ran would stand in front of this being, crushed under the pressure of its soul. She would feel its stare boring into her, piercing her very core, rocking her will. She would yell, cry, kowtow in fear and humiliation, yet it would not move. It would just point. Point from anywhere in the universe directly towards here.

What did it want? Why would it haunt her dreams? She did not know and she was afraid to find out.

Again and again. Nights after nights, it would be the same nightmare. The same horror. It would just stare at her without moving nor speaking. Then, why was it so scary? Why would she feel so cornered as if it was a calamity?

The entity stared at her and for the first time, its lips seemed to move. Deep and powerful ripples echoed throughout the void. Yu Ran couldn’t believe it. It has been more than 15 years now. It never talked. She trembled, breathless. No, she didn't want to hear it. She didn’t want to know.

“...back…”

She didn’t catch all the words. She didn’t understand. She wanted to wake up. To wake up and forget.

---

Drakeheart realm. Southern Valley of Dharma.

Snow lotus pavilion

Snow lotus pavilion was a picturesque restaurant nesting in a snowy valley in front of a beautiful lotus lake. It was the end of winter, yet ice flowers were still drifting on the surface of the lake. When the sun was setting, the whole valley would be basked in a warm glow, the lotus would be coated with gold and the warm ice flower would reflect the light in rainbows. Sitting in the highest room facing the lake was a young woman. She had the aura of an elegant indolent immortal. Her hand was supported her chin as she was watching the sun fading behind the valley. Golden threads of light shone on her dark hair as if gold and obsidian were weaving a night sky embroidery. Her skin was as fair as the delicate lotus drifting on the lake and translucent and sparkling like the ice flower. Her brows were like the willow, her phoenix eyes were deep and lustrous like the night sea and one could see countless stars twinkling in her gaze. Her cheeks were round and smooth, rosy and tender. Her lips were plump and as red as the plum blossom. Her body was svelte and alluring, she had an aloof and indifferent air when she was silent. She was lazily playing with an empty cup of wine. She wasn’t in a good mood. She couldn’t shake the nightmare of the night before and dreaded tonight. She was frustrated but had nowhere to vent. Why did it suddenly change? Why was it different now? She watched as the last ray of sunlight disappeared before leaving the room.

The restaurant was full of life, customers were going in and out and the sound of laughter echoed through the pavilion. As she made her way downstairs, little by little, voices dimmed down. Customers forgot to eat or drink, their eyes fixed on the young lady. Her water blue dress fluttered at each of her steps and it seemed as if time itself slowed down to watch her descend. They were completely captivated. The young lady seemed to notice the strange atmosphere, she looked around and politely nodded. The heart of the whole assistance skipped a beat. The front door was suddenly blasted open. Then, entered three bulky men: scarred faces, the scent of blood, and the lingering traces of killing intent. The darksteel Scorpio Brothers. The pavilion was shocked, calamity had descended. The trio wasn’t only known for their vicious killings and cruelty, their poisonous tails had destroyed who-knows how many beautiful flowers. How many have died at their hand? Talented practitioners and fair maiden. Every customer paled and cold shivers travelled along their spines.

The biggest and eldest of the trio smirked in delight. Fear and disgust, he would never get tired of this reaction. He pushed his chin high, surveyed the room and grinned wider and wider. Out of the blue, he saw the trembling finger of the youngest pointing at the stairs.

“Dage… Dage… a goddess!” The man could barely talk.

The bulky man followed the finger and air got trapped in his throat. A Goddess. The purest being he had ever seen was standing in front of him. An immaculate immortal. His throat became parched and his heart trembled. Greed and lust shook his core. No matter what, he HAD to possess her.
The young fairy rose a fine eyebrow, a peculiar light flashed through her gaze. She smiled softly before shaking her head. Everyone’s heart squeezed in their chest. She fearlessly continued down the stairs. When she arrived at the bottom, the three bulky men blocked her way. She rose her head to look at them, her eyes were clear and a mischievous smile was floating on her lips.

“Goddess is leaving so soon? Why not accompany this Dage?”
“Right. Fairy, the day is still early, why hurry?”

The fairy’s face flushed red. Was it the wine or the obscene way they were gawking at her? The owner saw the situation and sighed in regret. Such a beautiful flower was about to be trampled by vicious beasts.

She smiled broadly. Her smile illuminated the world. One couldn’t help be taken aback and freeze. She rose her hand, thin and long white fingers like spring onions, round and fragile fingernails dyed light pink. Her fingers approached the eldest’s face as if she wanted to delicately stoke his scarred face. Instinctively, he lowered his head and took in the fresh fragrance of cool water and frozen lotus from her skin. She sneered in her heart. How foolish!

Her fingers didn’t even touch his skin that his head was violently shoved onto the ground. It was so fast and so violent that nobody actually registered what happened. The man’s head was impaled deep into the floor and his blood was flooding the newly created crater. The young lady was still smiling broadly, she stepped forward and heavily kicked the lower half of the lying man. A ‘pop’ and the sound of splatter resonated in the restaurant followed by a high and powerful shriek.

Vicious! Too vicious! By instinct, every man protected their manhood, their eyes red and heart hurting. The two brothers snapped out of their daze.

“You! Slut!” One unsheathed his sword and swung. She dodged, winked at him, and with her hand like flowing water, she slit his throat, then bitch-slapped him into the ground. She made a step again and another ‘pop’ sounded. Customers winced and made themselves small on their seat.

Black! Such a black heart!

The last one felt his intestine turned green. Who would have thought that such a pure looking maiden could be this wicked? When she turned towards him, her lips revealed pearly white teeth and a cheeky smile. His breath was taken away together with his heart. He lowered his head and discovered the seemingly fragile arm of the goddess buried deep in his chest. The onion-like fingers firmly gripped the caged heart and ripped it out. She observed it briefly the heart in her heart before throwing it away as if it was a boring toy. He slid down on the floor, his eyes big as wheels. The bloody fairy carefully examined her crimson fingers.

“Just the color I wanted,” she giggled.

She circulated her Qi and dried the blood off her hands until just the right amount of dye was left on her fingernails.

“So pretty!”

So black! How could her soul be this black?

She waved her wide sleeve toward the pavilion owner. He yelped in fright and a heavy purse almost hit him in the face.

“Sorry, I made a mess. This is compensation.” She made a sorry face and everyone’s heart softened. She threw a second purse to a waiter, “Divide it between the kitchen staff and the waiters. The food and service were great.”

She winked at them, chuckled and walked out. At least, now, she felt a little bit better. Yu Ran wandered through the mountain. She was feeling anxious and lonely. She stopped abruptly. She caught a nostalgic smell and rushed toward it. After a couple of breaths, she arrived by the big wisteria tree in full bloom. How come it was blooming in winter, she didn’t know and frankly didn’t care. She walked to the trunk, softly caressed the wood and closed her eyes immersed in her memories.

“Ran Ran, you caused troubles today again.”
“Master, it wasn’t my fault. They were perverted! I just punished them a little.” answered a shy little voice.
“Ran Ran, don’t try to be cute! You shouldn’t lose your temper like that,” reprimanded an old man.
“Master, Ran Ran is still young and impetuous.”
“Senior brother!” cried the girl with joy
The old man sighed, “You dote on her too much. Look at how wild she is.”
A young man laughed, “Master, it’s the pot calling the kettle black.”

“Master. Senior Brother. Ran Ran is still wild. If you were here, you would scold me, right?” Under the wisteria tree, droplets of tears and petal blossoms fluttered in the freezing winter wind.

---

The void. Tonight again, she stood alone inside the emptiness of space. In front of her, the entity was merging once again. The deep darkness. The infinite stars that keep on moving without care for her. Once again, the entity formed before her eyes, crushing her like a mountain, denying her of freedom. Night after night, no matter what she did, she would always fall asleep. No matter how much she tried to stay awake. How much she hated that thing before her eyes, she would always find herself there. Yet, today was different. Today, anger defeat fear.

“WHAT DO YOU WANT?! What are you! Haven’t you have enough? I have nothing! I am nothing! Leave me alone!”

She kept on crying, struggling, wrecking her soul to resist it. However, today too, the deep and ancient voice of the being echoed.

“... back…”
“I don’t understand. I can’t understand!”
“ … back…”
“Who are you? I’m tired! I can’t do this anymore. Tell me! I -” Yu Ran’s voice choked. Tears streamed down her face. Hasn’t she lost enough? “Master, Senior brother…”
“... come… back…”

What? Yu Ran was stunned. It was calling her. Where to? For what purpose? All these years she had been dreaming of it, all these years she had been afraid of it. Yet it wanted her to come back? Where?

Slowly, the vision started to fade as the sun was rising. Fear led to anger. Anger burnt into wrath.

“You want me to come?” Her fists were clenched hard and her nails dug into her palms. “Then, you better be prepare!”

---

“Ran Ran, you walk the path of slaughter. You came to us covered in blood and you are destined to tread on a bloody road. Master wants you to remember one thing: you can lose your way, but never lose sight of yourself.”

Yu Ran was resting of a branch of the wisteria tree. Her long lashes were covered int a thin layer of frost. The dew on her cheeks formed solid droplets as if they were small beads of jade jewels. She had made her decision.

“Master, Ran Ran forgot your teaching and lost herself. After losing you and Senior Brother, Ran Ran was scared. Scared that you would hate me for carving myself a path in blood. I was wrong. I was wrong. I will not run away anymore. That thing… I will find it. Be it a ghost. Be it a god. I will carve my will into its soul. I will take its power for my own. I will crush it just like it crushed me. Master, Senior Brother, wait for me. I will find it and become its own nightmare.”

Story written by Sunhrae, you can find more of their work here.

1