SSSC I: Mandela Effect
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The world around the two froze mid-argument. The overweight officer sweat no longer fell to the ground. The man spit was stuck in the air. His cuffs no longer rattled and the cops belt had stopped jingling. Officer Kurt was questioning Junior about his sudden cry for help. Kurt wasn’t believing a word he said. Footsteps broke the silence, approaching the door in a rhythmic fashion. With the twist of the knob, motion preceded to advance and yelling filled the room.

"Heyo!"

"Officer Jenny, please take your job more seriously."

Jenny entered the room with two cups of coffees. She skipped to the table while Kurt shook his head in disapproval.

"♪One for meee and one for youuu.♪" Jenny handed the cuffed man a cup. Kurt was not happy.

"Listen, there no need for this good cop bad cop nonsense. I just need protection. Ma'am let me tell you my story, he won't listen."

"You speak pretty well for an African."

"I was born here you pig!"

"Guys with all your testosterone. We're here to protect and serve Kurt, we have no reason to treat him like a criminal."

"Except he came in babbling nonsense at 3 am. Scared Lisa half to death."

Junior took a sip of the coffee to relax. The taste of sugar rushed into his mouth. The drink was barely passable as coffee. He started a coughing fit. Kurt laughed at the interaction.

"Jenny you nut, all that sugar can kill people."

"Oopsies, sometimes I forget. Junior, we're here to listen. So go on, take as long as you need."

"Only if you promise to take me somewhere safe."

"We'll decide that, pal." Jenny gave Kurt a dirty look for that comment. She got closer to Junior and put on a smile, awaiting his story.

"Well, it sounds crazy, but I'm not crazy. I swear."

_______________________________________________________________

I was coming off a 12-hour shift of coding. A sea of unhealthy snacks piled around my trash can. It was late at night, but I really needed some sun. I figured I'd browse the internet until my eyes gave up on me. I'm 29, so the internet doesn't really do it for me anymore. I could scroll down Facebook or Youtube, but I knew it'd put me to sleep in half an hour or so.

I started by checking my e-mail. It was the most important. Who knows, I could have did all that work and my boss had sent a message telling me I didn't need to. I work at home, so the only way he'd be able to get in contact with me was by e-mail or phone. I had gone 12 hours without checking, so I gave it a look.

The usual spam filled up most of my unread messages. Nothing from the boss. I went to close the tab and that’s when I saw one that was out of place. It was from Jason. I hadn't heard that name in a long time. He was an old friend of mines, but we had a falling out. I wanted to keep it that way, better for me and him. The message was titled 'help'. Yea right, I wouldn't give him the time of day.

I decide on Facebook as the next destination. I don't use the site much, I was just trying to put myself to sleep. The variety of dumb videos and stupid posts had a good chance of boring me to death, let alone sleep. I remember being so confused when I logged in. 2 messages and 47 alerts. I mean I didn't go on there much, but it only been a month. What was all these alerts, was it spam?

I opened the messages first. It was a shock to me. It was one from my old friend Anna. I never thought I'd talk to her again. Two messages from her, I could read a message from the drop-down, "Have you seen Jason?" Of course, it was about Jason. At the time I hadn't seen him since the last time I saw her. I was going to tell her that when I spotted the other messages. It was from Jason. My heart dropped, 99+ messages. What is wrong with this man.

I ignore the messages, fearing the worst. I open the alerts and surprise surprise, it's a post on my wall from Jason. It had blown up, so many people commented on it, probably more than I've had on my wall in total. I click it to find the rant of a mad man. I open my messages to find it copied and pasted in our thread, over 100 times. It's this one here, it says:

"Hey Junior, long time no anything. I'm trying to write this message while I'm a smidge coherent. I need you to answer a question for me Junior. Do you remember how we met?

Shit, this is so dumb. I know it'll come to bite me in the ass when I find out this is one big con-winky dink. I just really need to know before I literally go insane. LITERALLY.

I don't know Junior, I think it might be one big prank. They're all in on it because I made my way to the top. I can tell they hate how successful I am, now that I got promoted they made some kind of joint attack on me. Also, you can congratulate me Junior, I just took Lead Software Developer from that no name asshole. I know he's so angry right now. That's what got me into this mess.

It was at the end of the year party. We ended up in the black so we were celebrating. Well, I thought we were, but it's all one big setup. I came with my bitch of a wife Anna, spoiler, she's in on it too. We were by the bar, drinking of course when Ben started his speech. it was a speech for me. I had joined their team and took the company to black with my hard work. He had already given me the position but only me and him knew.

So he gets up on a chair, he's tipsy too. He starts telling them about my promotion, they don't start clapping until he does. Bunch of jealous dumbasses. He begins to tell the story of how I nailed my fucking interview, but he can't remember. I laugh it off while he stalls, trying to think of the speech or whatever story he prepared. I'm like 'on with it you dimwit' you know?. I don't say that out loud, I can't say that to the boss. He starts asking Steve and William about the interview. They act like they can't remember either.

They aren't even as drunk as me! I was pissed I tell you, but I didn't show it. My wife knew though, that's probably when she decided she was going to play along too. His shit show of a speech ends and we get back to standing around and waiting to leave. The other programmer comes up to me and laughs about how funny that shit was. I didn't get it at the time but they must of all been on it. I play it off and ask him if he remembers my first day. He stumbles to recall. I could care less about that pushover, I didn't even know his fucking name HA.

The party ends, everyone I joked with at the party was playing along. No one would tell me about the day we met. I played it off though until I got in the car. I flipped the fuck out. I remember Anna being scared, said I was too drunk to drive. She was ticking me off. Acting like she didn't see them fucking with me in there. They were lucky to fucking have me. By the way, you can take back that congratulation, I don't think I got that job anymore. I haven't been to work since that day.

I calmed myself, I wasn't going to let her drive my car, but I listened to her. I was too furious about this, fuck those guys, I'm the one who got promoted. I apologize and sweet talk the bitch before humorously asking her if she remembered how we met. And there it was, that same FUCKING stumble. She started to scramble for words and details that she couldn't grasp. I slammed the breaks. Both our heads go flying forward, crashing into the steering wheel and glove department respectively.

I blank out for a moment too. I get a hold of myself and see my her crying. She's in a panic, hyperventilating and grabbing her chest. I couldn't believe it, here I was bleeding out my forehead and this drama queen has the nerve to act like this is her fucking moment. I remember snapping at her, she knew how much my co-workers were pissing me off and she made that joke just to add on to my growing anger. I demanded her to apologies and between her breathes she says she wasn't kidding.

Really? 6 years with this bitch and she can't remember how we met? I have to remember our anniversary or get yelled at, but she expects me to believe she can't remember how we met? I don't know Junior, if you still have a thing for her go right ahead. I'm won't be seeing her ever again. Kicked her out my car, I can't remember where we were, told her to have a nice walk. I floor it to my favorite bar. You know they say you can drink your problems away, not this one I guess.

Since I was 18 Junior, I've been coming to The Range for 12 years. I walk in and it's Bruce in the back. He owns the place, been there since I've been coming. I tell him give me enough to drink for a party and he gave enough for two. I was trashed, Junior. Just drinking back to back shots by myself until my drinking buddy walked in. Hell, I forgot his name a while back and never bothered to ask. Just always called him motherfucker. This douche walks in just as drunk as me! I tell him to recall when we met. He doesn't know. He's too drunk. I believe that. I turn to Bruce, I ask the same of him. He plays like he remembers. Said I came in and ordered a drink. I could tell he lied right to my fucking face.

I can't really tell you what happened after that, that's when my bender started. I think I punch the asshole, at least that's what my busted eye is telling me. it's a blur. I'm somehow back on your side of the town. It's cause I wanted to meet my mother. I drank and walked for I don't know how long. Along the way, I asked my coke dealer if he remembers, like hell, he would. He was more helpful than any of these other snakes. He gave me a ride to Mother's place. This slimeball said I was looking rough, guess he never seen a mirror.

Junior, I remember it like it was yesterday. To be honest, I don't but feel for me for a second. You walk up to your mother, she embraces you right. Says how much she misses her only son, ask why you're so roughed up. She's old but she remembers when her and dad met. You ask her about your childhood home, the one with the shaky chandelier and the wine stain on the carpet. She remembers it like it's yesterday. What about that birthday party, when you cried because they kept asking you how old you were and you were just so shy... All these memories came to her faster than she could communicate.

So how would you feel when she couldn't remember giving birth to you?

I cried I screamed I thrashed. I screamed as I thrashed. I wept as I screamed. She kept yelling about how sure she was I wasn't adopted, but she couldn't remedy how I felt. I couldn't stop back there. Now there's no going back. EVER JUNIOR EVER I NEED TO KNOW HOW DID WE MEET."

I was taken aback. I couldn't believe what I had just read. I scramble to turn on every light I can. I know it was stupid, but at the time I didn't want to be in the dark after reading that. I get to throwing junk off my desk in search for my phone, I was scared. I didn't feel safe in my own home. I found the phone but it was dead. Damn binge working, I look for the charger until I remembered it was out in the car. That why I wasn't charging it in the first place, kept telling myself that my project wouldn't take that long.

I hear a knock on my door. I try to stay as quiet as I can. I felt like my heart was beating loud enough to hear. They knock again before yelling my name. It was Jason.

"Junior! I saw you cut on the lights! I've been waiting for you! Please open up!"

There was nowhere else to go. I thought about getting on facebook and messaging someone to help, but I knew no one would come. I had to face him. Stare him in the eyes and tell him he's crazy. He's in one big misunderstanding and he has gone too far to prove that it's some conspiracy. So I go open the door.

What stood before was a walking pile of bones. His skin sagged like an older persons skin. It failed to wrap around his now nonexisting muscles. His face wasn't recognizable for me. His hair was turning gray due to stress and he looked like he was either on drugs or coming down from them.

"Junior. Did you get my message?" I had to treat him like I normally would, he deserves at least that.

"You mean messages, you psychopath?" He managed to crack a smile through his cracked lips.

"So?"

"So what?"

"How did we meet?"

I took a deep breath. This moment was a life-changing moment for him. I was steering this cart and had the ability and desire to destroy him. What I said next decided his fate and maybe even mines. Here it goes.

"Firstly Jason, let me start by saying fuck you. You don't deserve anything you had. Your job, your wife and your upbringing were given to you on a silver spoon. Here’s your headline; druggie rich boy becomes programmer because it's the easiest thing that will impress his parents. And your wife, Anna, was the best thing that never should have happened to you. You have done nothing but hurt her all your relationship. She should have been mines! Just like that job you snaked from me you bastard. I'm glad you loss it all, you didn't earn it in the first place you asshole."

"I understand Junior, you hate me. I can even understand why. I just want to know if you remember. Please, I'm begging you."

"For fuck sake Jason, how long have you been on this bender. How hard is it to believe that a few people had a slip up in their memories."

I crossed my arms, standing over the sad sack who use to be a man. He teared up but patiently waited to hear my answer.

"It was at The Range. You walked in hammered and tried to order a drink from Bruce. He cut you off before you could even start drinking there. You stumble over to me and Anna's stools, eying our drinks. You introduce yourself and we could smell the fireball shots off your clothes. I gave you my drink just to look nice in front of my date. You don't leave, you never did get social cues. You asked me what I did and I told you. Turns out we were both just getting into the field of programming. You walked away to beg for another drink and Anna gave the okay to chill with you if you came back. Of course, you did because you're a sucker for attention. We order shots until Bruce cuts Anna off. She was blackout drunk Jason, that why she didn't remember."

"You... remembered?"

"Duh asshole, now move out my way, I have to get my charger."

He started to laugh, it reached the point where I started to get fearful again.

"Move dude."

"I did all of this and it was over nothing. I was just so afraid because, truthfully, I didn't remember myself."

"You were probably too drunk or drugged out for most of them."

"Anna was blackout drunk, Bruce probably didn't care, my dealer surely didn't care, my co-workers think I'm an asshole and was just playing on the joke and... my mother. Poor, poor Mom, no."

"Yea, you owe her an apology."

"No. She'll never get that. She'll never get it again. I thought, I... I didn't think, I was drugged out. I couldn't stop. I just kept hitting. I thought I was in some sort of nightmare, a lambo, limbo, I...I Just ...I.."

_______________________________________________________________

Junior couldn’t keep going. He was on the edge of his sanity. He only stopped shaking when Jenny grabbed his shoulder.

“That’s okay Junior, you can stop now.”

“That was tonight? Is that why you’re here?”

“That was months ago. I convinced him to go to the police. He got life in prison from that.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, why were you scared of him if you remembered?”

Junior shivered at Jenny’s question. He scanned the room, as to make sure no one else was around.

“It’s because I didn’t. I was at the point where there were two options; break him by telling him the truth or doing the right thing. I didn’t have It in me to break him. No matter how big of a asshole he was, I couldn’t be one myself.”

“Wait wait wait. If that’s not why you’re here then you have to keep going.”

“He can continue at his own pace, Kurt.”

“I understand. I’m here because of what happened last week. I was in South Africa, visiting for Mandela’s funeral. The plan was for our family to meet at the apartment after we landed. We’re all were scattered around America so we weren’t going to arrive at the same time. I got there first and unlocked the door. As soon as I got in there the phone rang. I thought it might be room service or the front desk. I didn’t feel like talking to them so I let it ring out. Then I got a mysterious text from an unknown number. It said ‘You lied’. I knew without context who it was from. The phone rings again and I unplug it, I was sure that he was somehow calling me on that phone. I couldn’t understand how he knew where I was. But then the most bone-chilling thing happened; it rang while unplugged. I star….”

Junior looked at the two officers who motionlessly stared at each other. Something felt off to him. He could move all he wanted but felt like everything was froze. For some reason though, he didn’t move. His cuffs didn’t jiggle, and his sweat didn’t drip. He somehow stood perfectly still for reasons unknown to even him. Then, he spoke, “HEY! You guys listening?

“You went to Mandela's funeral?”

“Yes, but that’s a minor detail.”

“Mandela died in jail.” Kurt proclaimed. “In the 1980’s I’ve heard.”

“Then you heard wrong, it was 2013, this year. Trust me, I went. I’m part South African so I know a lot about Mandela. What does this have to do with my story?”

The two officers looked at each other again, almost like they were talking to one another in their minds. Junior got frustrated.

“Hey stop messing with me. I came for protection and you need to do your jobs. I… wait what’s happening?”

Junior started to dissipate. His skin began to glow and section off into small unique shapes, revealing a bright white abyss where his insides should be. Junior screamed until he couldn’t, his mouth had floated away with his other pieces. The room started to do that same. The once small room unraveled into a vast white vacuum.

Officer Kurt was shifting into a different form. He quickly turned to a deep dark purple and expanded to an unmeasurable size. He glowed faintly soft colors; yellows, whites, oranges, blues. It wasn’t until he could expand no more that he lost his human shape, covering the emptiness with it’s beautiful yet terrifying essences.

Jenny did the same but instead of a dark purple, she glowed a bright white. She grew until she could grow no more, keeping her human-like shape. Jenny floated around the giant swirl of colors that were once Kurt.

“You’ve taken a liking to these humans I see.” The voice rang from the abyss.

“Yes I have, they have quite the beautiful shape. What will we do with this new Information? The past humans who minds we browsed say he died in prison, yet this South African says he died in 2013. He even said he went to his funeral.”

“A quick glance at the memories of others of the region prove his statement true."

"But when you recreate the universe won't their conflicting memories cause a dilemma?"

"Most likely there will be unforeseen consequences. I will not dodge blame. I have a responsibility to piece back the universe that I destroyed, but to reconstruct it perfectly is out of my hands."

"Understood. Now what of his story. This Jason fellow."

"It would be most ironic to make it all one huge coincidence, but it's best to leave it as it was."

"Was it not a big coincidence? What was it than?"

"Most likely the curse of the evil eye. He climbed his way to the top with underhanded tactics while in the spotlight. He got more than enough glares to have such a large scale curse."

"Are you sure things like that exist? It seems out of the norm for the world I’ve seen through these memories."

"Ghost, banshees, vampires, and windigos. Spells, curses, and hexes. Monsters and magic are engraved in books of their world's history. Not only that, there are plenty of encounters that can be recalled from their memories. Hell, they even have a website full of their stories. Wouldn’t it cause a massive dilemma if the ghost hunting profession had nothing to hunt?"

"So you're recreating the world with all that in there? What if the encounters were from the viewpoints of the mentally unstable or attention seekers. And the website was made to incite wholesome fear into their readers I’m sure. I think I have a firmer grasp on humanity than you do."

"But you have no say in this do you, Father Time?"

"Fine, make it how you want it, but what if you're wrong?"

"Sorry, I have a responsibility to piece back the universe that I destroyed, but to reconstruct it perfectly is out of my hands..."

Story written by JustHANO, you can find more of their work here.

0