Chapter 2
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stepping into his office that was warm and had the smell of strong whiskey in the air, she asked, “You wanted to see me, master?”

The master of the house observed her for a moment, then asked, “Did my son have another nightmare?”

She nodded her head and sighed inwardly. Who knows what will come from this conversation that is held more than it should be, “Yes, master.”

“Is he still taking his medication?” He asked, running his fingers against the rim of the glass he was drinking from.

“Yes, master, every day. I personally make sure of it,” she answered, recalling how she handed it to him after breakfast on a daily basis. Ian didn’t need to be watched because he was responsible, but it was for her own reassurance—and his safety.

He sighed as he thought of Ian. His son was a special case, but the older he got, the more careful they needed to be, and things were so busy that he couldn’t always keep up with his son.

Looking at Lilith, he said, “Since birth, you’ve raised him with your milk. It was unfortunate that he had to witness and experience what he had. I don’t want to make your life any difficult, but Ian cannot have a relapse anytime.”

“Yes, master,” she said, clenching the sheets in her hand.

“He needs to be watched twenty-four seven. Will you be able to handle that Mrs Kim?” He asked.

She looked at him and thought about it. Taking a deep breath, she asked, “Master, if I may, I have something that I would like to share with you.”

He nodded his head, giving her permission.

“I have full trust in the young master. He has done well so far and there has not been a relapse for almost eight months. As you know that there needs to be a trigger that occurs in order for one of his alter egos to surface. He isn’t weak, and he has been fighting for control for so long. Unless something happens, I think we owe it to the young master to trust him until you can appoint him as heir.”

Brian scoffed. He had caused his first wife’s death, and he didn’t know what he would do if Ian found out and wanted nothing to do with him. What if Ian decided to ruin his legacy or kill him? 

He wouldn’t mind death.

Leaning against the chair, he looked at Lilith and asked, “What would you do if Ian found out about what happened between us?”

She sighed inwardly, “Master, that is in the past and, if the young master were to find out about the affair, I would accept his anger.”

“Why?” He asked curiously.

Gazing at him, she said, “I don’t love him because he is your son. You came to me in my moment of weakness and before, I used to feel ashamed of what I did. I betrayed Madam Rebecca’s trust by letting you have your way with me, but she understood. If the young master wants nothing to do with me, then that would be my loss, but I won’t be sad. I have done everything I could to raise him into the man he is today, and he knows I love him.”

It was silent between them for a while as he thought of how things would be without Lilith. She was his son’s lifeline in this case, the one keeping him grounded. Then he said, “Lilith, if you can help with this, I will reward you greatly. Anything you want, I will get it for you.”

She thought about what she wanted the most in this world, and it pained her heart. Looking at him, she said, “I will try my best, master.”

*

“I thought you left me,” Ian grumbled as he watched her dress the bed.

Lilith smirked, “And I wonder just what you would do if I did leave.”

“I would have climbed into your bed and fallen asleep next to you,” he said, making her laugh as he forced down his own laugh.

She sat down on the bed and patted the space beside her. He was more than happy to lay his head in her lap.

She ran her hands through his hair that she dried after she returned from speaking to Brian.

“I love you, ma,” He said, letting his tears fall.

She smiled, “I love you every phase of the day, young master. To the end of the world and back. In the past, the present, the future and in the next lifetime.”

‘My love for you is undying and your guidance. Your life is in my hands and mine in yours. We’ll love each other forever and you’ll never have to sigh. When I fade, I hope that you’ll remember the love I shared with you. The time I spent on you and the heart I gave to you,’ she sang to him the lullaby that she made up for him all those years ago.

Ian was fast asleep as she stared out the window, rubbing his hair. 

Anything you want, I will get it for you.’

Her brows furrowed, thinking back to his words. She looked down at Ian and scoffed, ‘Does he think money can buy our happiness? What I want? I want you to be happy young master and I won’t leave your side until that day arrives. Even if you find out about the affair, I’ll support you in the shadows.’

*

Brushing the fluff off of Ian’s ivory polo neck, Lilith said with a smile, “Awe, look at my son, handsome as always.”

Ian remained silent. She was teasing him again and if he opened his mouth, it won’t stop until he leaves for work—leaving him embarrassed as always.

She suddenly remembered something and said as she looked at him, “Young master, guess what?”

“Are you going to tease me again?” He asked cautiously, grimacing her plans.

She flicked his ear, saying, “It’s not that bad and you know you like it when I tease you.”

“Ma! You know you always embarrass me,” he said as she walked away.

She soon returned, taking something out of her pocket, holding a fist in front of him.

Ian raised a brow. “What is this?”

“Close your eyes,” she said.

He hesitantly did, and she opened her palm revealing something. She said, “Open your eyes.”

He opened them slowly and looked at the gold chain. He picked it up and saw that it was bigger than a bracelet. Looking at her, he asked, “What is it?”

She chuckled, “You don’t remember this? It’s the gold chain madam Rebecca bought for you when you were a baby. When I found it between the stuff in the attic, it reminded me of her. I was thinking of giving it to you on your birthday, but you had a nightmare last night, so I thought now would be a good time. It was broken when I found it, so I had it fixed. Do you want to see if it still fits you?”

He nodded his head and handed it back to her.

It was something from his biological mother—the woman he barely knew but had gruesome memories about.

He sat down in front of the mirror and pulled down the polo neck. She unclipped the hook and placed it around his neck. Fixing it, she placed her chin on his shoulder and smiled when she saw the admiration for the necklace in his eyes through the mirror. 

“You like?” She asked him.

He nodded his head. “I can’t believe it still fits me.”

Kissing his neck, she pulled the polo neck over the chain and said, “Don’t lose it again, young master. There is no guarantee that I will find it again.”

He nodded his head as he ran his fingers over the crease it made, feeling emotional, and said, “It’s our little secret.”

She nodded her head then slapped him across the head saying, “And stop your crying. You’re going to work!”

Rubbing his head, he asked, “How can you do that? Do you want to get fired?”

She laughed, then suddenly became serious, frightening him.

He quickly stood up and said, “Alright, alright, I’ll stop. Just don’t hurt me.”

Next Chapter: 7/2/2024

0