Chapter 12: The Market District
399 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author’s Note (Story and Patreon Updates):

If you haven't done so already, please create an account to follow and support the story!

READ 2 WEEKS AHEAD: Chapter 13 is now available for Tier 2 Manifest Fantasy Patrons and higher!

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

Discord: https://discord.gg/wr2xexGJaD

-- --

Armstrong Base, Grenden Plains
November 24, 2024

As Henry walked into the quartermaster’s depot, he couldn’t help but notice how… empty it was. Technically speaking, it was stocked to the brim with supplies and gear, but there was a telling lack of Chief Warrant Officer in the room, despite there being less than a minute left for their scheduled meeting.

 

The only person present was a sergeant, who seemed busy with a tablet. Glancing up from his inventory list, he noticed their entrance. “Alpha Team! Looking for the Chief?” he asked.

 

Henry barely had the time to nod; it seemed that the sergeant already knew the answer. The man set his tablet down. “Let me go check on his status. He was in a meeting – s’posed to be back by now.”

 

“Alright, thanks,” Henry said, turning to the others. “The Chief’s snagged in another meeting?” Henry chuckled, shaking his head. Typical.

 

Isaac nudged him with his elbow, “Or off playing golf. Hell, if I were a warrant officer I’d be at the gym; avoid the late-night crowds.”

 

“On some real shit,” Ron agreed, leaning back against the wall.

 

Henry smirked. Warrant officers were infamous for their lack of availability, and Chief Cole certainly lived up to their expectations. “He’s probably going over the new stuff that we and the collection teams brought back.”

 

Kelmithus followed loosely, still getting a handle on their dynamic and the intricacies of their humor. “Is it… normal for this ‘Chief’ to be absent?”

 

“Kinda,” Henry answered. “It’s like an inside joke, warrant officers being unavailable and all that. We usually just chill around till he shows. Speaking of the new stuff, the Ambassador’s talks with the Duke went well, huh? Official relations and all that.”

 

Kelmithus’ eyes lit up, and it was no wonder. Given his background, he had probably studied the Baranthurians and Gatebuilders for decades, only now seeing an opportunity to finally unravel the mystery he’d been working on for all this time. “Indeed. With the coming conclusion of the diplomatic parleys, I’ve been appointed to lead the joint research initiatives on the Baranthurians and the Gatebuilders. I’ll be joining forces with your Dr. Lamarr and Dr. Perdue once we’ve completed our investigation of the excavation site.”

 

“Moving up in the world,” Ron patted Kelmithus on the back, “congrats, Kel.”

The others congratulated him as well, with Dr. Anderson seeming almost as excited as the Archmage himself. “The prospect of learning more from you and your colleagues is something I’m quite looking forward to.”

 

This partnership was a big deal – one that came with more than just the prospect of developing advanced ‘magitech’. Learning more about Gaerra, the Sonaran Federation, and the other factions promised incredible lore that Ron would especially be invested in, but Henry was more interested in the tangible, mouth-watering benefits. “Not as much as I’m looking forward to seeing more of that roast griffin,” he said.

 

Ryan was quick to echo his sentiment, a smirk reflecting just how much he preferred the exotic local foods to the MREs and StarBars they’d been existing off of – a thought that made his mouth dry up. “Damn straight,” he agreed. “Ain’t gonna forget what they served at the Duke’s place neither.”

 

Ron nodded enthusiastically, grinning as he recalled his experience there. “Yeah, that shit was fire. Yo, and think about it, that’s just the tip of the iceberg.”

 

“Truly, there is much more to discover,” Kelmithus concurred with a proud grin. “I’m certain you’ll be pleasantly surprised to find out what I’ve planned for the rest of the day.”

 

Before Henry could even ask what he meant, the sergeant returned with Chief Cole in tow. “Apologies for the tardiness, folks,” Cole said as he entered the room. “Let’s get right to it then, yeah?”

 

Henry nodded, bringing his attention to what Cole had to offer. He’d just have to ask Kelmithus later. 

 

“Alright so, I learned that this excavation site is somewhere ‘round the mountains – something like the Baranthurian place y’all ran into a couple days back. Given that, I’ve prepared some new gear. Let’s start off with the weapons.” Cole picked up a black shotgun, collapsing the buttstock.

 

“First up, we’ve got the Benelli M1014,” he started, opening the action and pressing the release to show them the empty loading port. “It’s a semi-auto, gas-operated beast, perfect for the close-quarters and unpredictable environments you’re heading into. These are outfitted with ghost ring sights for quick target acquisition and picatinny rails that are compatible with the accessories you’ve already got.”

 

"And, considering the potential for engagements in confined spaces, we’re also including a selection of shells – buckshot for general use, flechettes for penetration, and slugs for precision shots.” He picked up a set of shells for display: red for the buckshot, green for the flechettes, and blue for the slugs. He then moved on to a final shell, this one yellow. “Plus, 12 gauge tipped with Whiskey Pete. Something a bit more potent than dragon’s breath for… well, you’ll know when you’ll need it.”

 

Kelmithus chuckled softly as he contemplated the name. “Dragon’s breath? Sounds like quite the spell – something stronger than it at that.”

 

The name did sound like it belonged in a world like this, Henry mused. It was a sight that looked magical enough on Earth; he could imagine that the supposedly prohibited white phosphorus ammunition was even more so. “Yeah, just wait till you see it in action.”

 

“Probably not as flashy as what you might be used to, but it hits pretty hard,” Cole smirked, equally amused by the exchange. “Anyway, next up we’ve got attachments for your M7s: barrels, stocks, grips, and all the other good stuff to enhance your SOPMOD kits. I’m willing to bet the Gatebuilders are all about being grandiose, considering the ruins out in the distance there. Not expecting spaces that are too tight, so, I’d personally recommend the 11-inch barrels alongside folding stocks for your kit when you explore that excavation site.”

 

Even with the shorter barrels, they’d still outrange most things both the Nobians and the wilderness had to offer. Still, the thought of CQC in a cave unnerved him. It was difficult enough with human insurgents wielding AKs, according to Ryan. How much more unpredictable would it be against the magic and monsters of Gaerra?

 

Cole moved on to the next item, opening a case of knives. “And finally, for weapons, we’ve got these: Special Warfare Utility Knives.”

 

He held one up, the edge looking like it could cut through even kevlar as if it were paper. “This right here,” he said, pointing to the finely sharpened edge with a gloved finger, “is made from CPM-S40VN steel – it ain’t your run-of-the-mill ‘kay-bar’. You do not wanna handle the blade without gloves.”

 

“Case in point,” he continued, holding the edge to a two-by-four block of wood. He applied downward pressure, smoothly slicing through it. 

 

Kelmithus squinted, processing what he’d just seen. “Phenomenal. To think this blade is wrought from mere metals, without a single enchantment applied to it…” he trailed off, losing himself in his own thoughts.

 

“Yeah, imagine if it did,” Cole said excitedly. Moving away from the wooden block, he placed a swatch of grayish material on the table. “Dyneema’s tough – tougher than kevlar and probably tougher than most things you’ll find out there. Maybe.” Noticing a couple skeptical glances, he gave a shrug. “Hey, I don’t know how tough Rillifane skin is,” he said, sawing at the material below him, “but if it can do this to Dyneema, I’d say you’ll be able to compete with the local metahumans.”

 

He then brought out a transparent sheet of what looked like hard plastic, positioning it as the next challenge. “Polycarbonate can be akin to the tough scales or chitin you might find on some of the monsters you encounter. Don’t know why you’d be fighting one using this knife, but if shit really hits the fan, then,” he paused, grunting as he slashed through the sheet. After leaving a gash through the polycarbonate, he used the knife’s point to score the material deeply. “You’ll at least have a fighting chance.”

 

Ryan gave a nod that seemed a bit too enthusiastic. Henry knew exactly what he was thinking, and it damn well wasn’t because he planned on fighting any monster using this knife. As if confirming his suspicions, Ryan picked up one of the knives from the case and inspected it. “Say, you reckon this’d be fine for dressing game?” He looked around, rephrasing in layman’s terms, “Or uh, skinning?”

 

Cole rubbed his chin. “Now that I think about it, yeah. Ya know, if we’re being technical about it, these new knives are gonna make a world of difference for Dr. Perdue. She’s always on about the quality of samples, right?” He paused, a hint of a smirk exposing his true intentions. “I should probably remind her it’s all thanks to yours truly that she’s getting better stuff to work with. Maybe that’ll score me some points, huh?”

 

Henry shook his head, the Chief’s not-so-subtle interest bringing up an amused smile. “Well, I’ll try to put in a good word for you, but I’m ninety-nine percent sure she’s already married.”

 

Cole hung his head dramatically, releasing a defeated sigh. “Fuckin’ A. Makes sense, I guess.”

 

“C’mon now, Chief,” Ron beamed. 

 

Henry shook his head again. Knowing Ron, he wouldn’t be surprised if he brought up what he thought he was about to bring up.

 

“We’re in a fantasy world. You know exactly what that means,” Ron’s grin grew brighter.

“Fantasy bitches?” Cole guessed.

 

“Fantasy bitches,” Ron affirmed. He thrust his thumb over his shoulder, “You can be boring like Donnager over here and be into elves, or you can explore what this world has to truly offer. Think about it: dryads, nymphs, mermaids, bunny girls, shit, cat girls?”

 

“You might be onto something…” Cole leaned against a table, as if he were really considering what Ron had to say.

 

Another victim caught in Ron’s cult, Henry thought. 

 

Thankfully, Cole seemed to shelve the idea for later internal deliberation. “I’ll do some research,” he conceded. “Anyway, I’ve got one last thing.” He produced a folder and slapped it down on the table. “Finally got this through, upon the Archmage’s recommendation. Think you’ll love this one.”

 

Henry opened the folder, brows lifting in surprise as he leafed through the folder’s contents. Well, hot damn… he thought, a slow grin forming. So this was the surprise Kelmithus mentioned earlier. It was an official authorization to dip into the funds they’d racked up as adventurers. Not something he’d anticipated would come so soon, but damn if it wasn’t welcome.

 

“Y’all gotta see this,” he said, waving his team over. 

 

As everyone huddled around, the document laid it all out. They could use their earnings for local equipment and amenities, with some catches. They had discretion in deciding what to buy, but any purchases over a thousand lumens were subject to auditing. 

 

Isaac spoke up as he read through, “A thousand lumens? Yo, how much is a night at the local brothels?”

 

Cole chuckled, “I mean, you’re allowed to use the funds for… amenities, but at the end of the day that means less money to go around in case you wanna get, I dunno, enchanted armor or potions?”

 

Henry couldn’t agree more. Resource management was critical in the games he’s played – doubly so in this world. “We’ve got some leeway here, but I recommend we keep things essential. At least until we’re making bread from the higher-tier quests.”

 

“A man can dream,” Isaac accepted, sulking slightly at the response.

 

Clearing his throat, Cole wrapped up their meeting. “Since the Ambassador’s opening up trade with the Sonarans, I plan to stock up on basic supplies. So, try not to spend all of your money on potions and minor stuff I’m likely gonna have in the inventory soon.”

 

“Got it,” Henry said, stuffing away the folder and securing some of the new gear. He gave Cole an appreciative nod as he turned to leave. “Thanks, Chief. Kel, you coming with?”

 

The archmage shook his head. “Not this time, I’m afraid. I have other matters to attend to – diplomacy and joint research.”

 

“Ah, right, right.” It was a shame that they wouldn’t be able to rely on Kelmithus’ expertise when it came to magic and magic equipment, but Henry understood.

 

As Henry reached the door, Cole raised a hand, “Oh, by the way, the General’s greenlit Apache support for CAS. Doubt you’ll need it, but it’ll be available for tasking in case you run into trouble. I’m getting everything prepped on our end. Also, by mission day, we’ll have QRF on standby at the new outpost we’re setting up at the Baranthurian facility. Just a shout away, halfway to your target.”

 

Henry recalled the briefings from the intel analysts. GEOINT hadn’t shown anything concerning so far, but then again, the dense forest and cavernous mountains near the excavation site were chock-full of hiding spots. There were too many gaps in their intelligence, which made the availability of an Apache all the more appreciated. “Understood.”

 

Cole waved them goodbye. “Good luck, Alpha Team. And try not to have too much fun shopping.”

 

– –

 

Eldralore, Sonaran Federation

 

The Adventurer’s Guild felt noticeably quieter today, at least compared to the chaos Henry remembered from their last visit. The bulk of adventurers already headed out to the Ovinne Mountain Campaign, leaving behind a mix of those still scrambling with last-minute preparations and a few handling logistics caravans for the main Clans. There were a good amount of adventurers relaxing – mostly those ineligible to participate or the few who, for one reason or another, didn’t want to participate.

 

One such adventurer caught his eye as he entered the front door. She stood apart from the rest: Seraphine ad Sindis, unmistakable even in the dwindling crowd. She stood before the quest board under the ‘Hunting’ category, searching for something amidst the parchments and notices.

Approaching Sera, he cleared his throat softly, not wanting to startle her. “Looks like the hype around the Campaign left a few quest opportunities open,” he commented.

 

Sera turned, a slight smile gracing her features as she recognized them. “Why, if it isn’t my favorite American.”

 

That was a term he wasn’t expecting her to use. “Word gets around fast, huh?”

 

Sera’s smile deepened as she recognized the surprise her words had sparked. “Ah, yes. The privilege of finally learning about ‘Around’ is thanks in no small part to the circles of Duke Vancor. They prove most… enlightening, to say the least.”

 

With Sera’s personality, it was sometimes hard to remember that she was, in fact, a noble. Still, the connections were impressive. “Sounds like you’re quite well-informed. I guess that’s one of the perks of noble friendships?”

 

“One of many – that is, in the rare instances when we nobles do find true friendships. And on the matter of perks, I’ve actually decided to accept that quest you and the Arcane Scholar invited me to,” she said, referring to Kelmithus. “I’m quite intrigued to see why the quest posting was as enigmatic as it was.”

 

“That’s reassuring to hear,” Henry chuckled, glad for a multitude of reasons – some more personal than others. “You’ll find out more about the quest soon enough. Came in to withdraw some funds for equipment, actually. Prepping for the op.”

 

Sera’s expression shifted to one of mild amusement – a reaction Henry had seen a few times before, whenever he said something that showed his lack of Gaerran understanding. “Withdraw funds? My dear Captain, do not mistake Eldralore for some backwater province. Here, we are graced with the presence of a Guild Plaza, which means we have the privilege of transacting through the Guild Council’s billing system.”

 

“Billing system?” The term was rather anachronistic for what Henry had expected from the Sonarans; it was ahead of their time. Naturally, he wasn’t the only one intrigued by this misplaced term. “What do you mean by billing system?” Dr. Anderson asked.

 

Sera gave them a quizzical look, as if she was wondering what rock they had all been hiding under, but quickly dropped it. “Ah, my apologies. Right; you hail from ‘Around’. The concept is thus: all shops connected to the system can levy charges directly to one’s Guild account. Simply present your Guild identification, and they shall undertake the transaction via aethergraph. Admittedly, it may demand a modicum of patience, contingent on the aethergraph operators’ current engagements, but it does spare one the cumbersome task of transporting an unwieldy sum of lumens.”

 

“Sounds convenient as hell,” Isaac commented, speaking for everyone.

 

Ron nodded in agreement. “Yeah, for real. Here I was, wondering if we’d have to lug it around or pull it out of our asses like we’re playing Warcraft.”

 

The reference caught Sera off guard, but she could more or less discern what he meant. “One might surmise the employment of Holding Carts or Holding Bags. These items are indispensable to any adventurer or merchant transporting materials for commerce or procuring gear for an ‘op’. A far cry from the fanciful notions of conjuring items from one’s ‘ass’, as one might find in your… Warcraft.”

 

Henry chuckled at Sera’s formal dissection of Ron’s offhand comment. Though, as entertaining as the exchange was, her mention of Holding Carts reminded him of their non-existent grocery list. That was one item they absolutely had to add. “Crap, speaking of Holding Carts, we actually need to pick one up. And some Holding Bags while we’re at it,” he said to his team.

 

“You’re going to the market district?” Sera asked.

 

It then dawned on Henry that this would be their first time exploring the city. In the few times they’ve visited, they had mostly traveled along the main road to and from the Guild Plaza, not even bothering to check out its surrounding districts. “I guess? Y’know, we’ve actually never seen anything outside the Guild. Always straight to business and back.”

 

Sera tilted her head slightly. “Oh? Then this presents an ideal chance to address that. I happen to be in need of some alchemical reagents and a few scrolls from Spellbound.” She paused in consideration, “What say you to a guided visit through Eldralore?”

Henry turned to gauge his team’s reactions briefly. There was no reason to refuse, so they were all in agreement.

 

“Sounds like a plan,” Henry replied with a soft smile.

 

Sera nodded, her smile mirroring Henry’s. “Excellent. Shall we, then?”

 

“Ladies first,” Henry gave a light bow as he gestured toward the door.

 

They stepped out into the fresh air, the hustle of the Guild quickly replaced by the open space around the central fountain. Henry glanced at Sera as she led the way. “We shall begin with the market district,” she said, tilting her head towards a pedestrian walkway beyond the Guild’s parking area. “This is where you’ll find essentials from weaponry and armor to basic provisions. It is also where you’ll find the various Holding Containers.”

 

As they approached the market, Henry found himself navigating a sea of faces – adventurers with their flashy armor and weapons easy to spot among the Eldralore locals. It wasn’t quite the spectacle of Fifth Avenue’s window displays, but the vibrant stalls and animated vendors had a quaint allure that beckoned him to snap a few photos with his camera.

 

The marketplace seemed to be divided into smaller subsections, each separated by blocks and each easily navigated by Sera. “This way,” she gestured. She walked at a bit of a slower pace, allowing them to take in the sights and sounds.

 

At first glance, it seemed like a typical fantasy bazaar – tented stalls stocked with everything from fruits to necklaces, the clang of a blacksmith’s hammer on steel, the diverse array of humanoids. The storefronts and compacted walkways were remarkably clean, reminding him more of a modern promenade or the outdoor sections of a Westfield mall – not at all what he had expected after his introduction to Ron’s anime.

 

A stall laden with exotic fruits caught his eye. One of its boxes contained something that looked like apples, while another contained a spiky, neon-blue fruit that looked truly alien – some blend of pineapple and dragonfruit, but blue. If he had withdrawn money from the Guild, he probably would’ve wanted to buy one, just to try it out. 

 

They continued past a bakery with tables and umbrellas set up outside, the rich aroma of bread and cinnamon wafting towards them. Henry felt his stomach growl as he looked at the setup, nudging Ron. “Looks like we found the local Cinnabon. We’ll have to grab a bite sometime.”

 

Sera pointed out notable establishments along the way. “There’s Steelforged, renowned for their exceptional weaponry – though, given your current armaments,” she said, glancing at the rifles concealed beneath their cloaks, “I doubt you’ll find much of use within.”

 

Near the entrance, a shady-looking merchant tried to peddle what appeared to be low-quality, second-hand weapons to unsuspecting passersby, even attempting to catch their attention. The man’s exaggerated claims and pushy demeanor set off alarm bells in Henry’s mind. They already had all the weapons they needed, but even if they didn’t, there was no way in hell he’d ever fall for such a scam. Hopefully.

 

If not for the scenery around him, he would’ve chalked up the Sonarans’ infrastructure in the Duke’s guest mansion as a perk of noble living. Yet, as it turned out, even the general populace had access to amenities he never would’ve imagined being available to the typical medieval peasant. One glance at Dr. Anderson’s gawking was enough to confirm that he was thinking the same thing he was.

 

The pedestrian-friendly promenade stretched on for a bit further before Sera led them around a corner, bringing them deeper into the market district. Whereas the main thoroughfare catered to foot traffic, the more affluent inner sections accommodated horse- and dradak-drawn carts. At the intersections, square signposts denoted right-of-way and restrictions, reminiscent of traffic signs back home but with a distinctly Sonaran flair.

 

They continued onward, walking straight past the section that looked like it was for the middle class, winding up in a part of the market that just oozed wealth and status. The compacted cobblestone streets were wider here. The buildings, too, were grander, with ornate facades and gilded signs replacing the humble awnings and wooden signs of the stores behind them. It was clear this section was meant for a more loaded clientele – rich adventurers, nobles, and merchants conducting wholesale business. 

 

Henry’s eyes were immediately drawn to a blacksmith’s shop that looked like it catered to the elite. Through a display window, he could see an array of weapons and armor that were so beautifully crafted, it was hard to imagine anyone actually using them in battle. The only reason it wasn’t impossible to imagine was because Sera was living proof. The level of detail in the gear was insane, and he couldn’t help but wonder how much time and skill went into creating each piece.

 

He looked up, finding a sign identifying it as Mithrilforged. Isaac took the words right out of his mouth, “Mithrilforged, as in, Steelforged?”

 

Sera nodded, “Yes, they’re both subsidiaries of Metalforged Consortium – an entity that holds sway over a great many of the finest smithies and artisans in Old Sonara.”

 

“Huh, so it’s like a chain of blacksmiths?” Ron asked, trying to wrap his head around the concept.

 

“In essence, yes,” Sera said, hesitating as she tried to find the right words. “Metalforged Consortium, with its ‘subsidiaries’ Steelforged and Mithrilforged among them, insists on a certain excellence in quality and craftsmanship. My understanding is that they supply the means, training, and personnel to aid in these pursuits. The intricacies of their operations, however, remain somewhat obscure to me.”

 

“Subsidiaries?” Dr. Anderson noticed, “That’s a rather advanced concept. Where did this idea originate from?”

 

“In truth, I’m not particularly well-versed in matters of commerce,” she admitted with a shrug, tone shifting to one of uncertainty. “Yet, I’ve heard that this concept originated from the Arthi continent – and that the concept is rather… innovative, even by their standards. Beyond this, my insight is limited.”

 

Henry nodded, trying to process the information. It sounded like Metalforged Consortium was similar to the corporate structures back home. It seemed all of the anachronistic concepts came from the homeland of the Guilds. Just how advanced was this Arthi continent?

 

Before he – or Dr. Anderson, for that matter, could even begin to ask about the peculiarities they’d seen, Sera motioned to her right. Nestled between Mithrilforged and a glittering jewelry shop was a store with a minimalist, yet elegant exterior. The outward design philosophy resembled an Apple store, just with a red and black color theme and a sailship logo. Yet, the interior looked like a fancy, older version of Target – complete with a section for produce, aisles for general merchandise, and a patronage comprised of nobles’ servants and higher-tiered adventurers.

 

“I’m guessing that’s the place we’re looking for?” Ron asked. 

 

Sera nodded. “Red Sail,” she exhaled, “a trading company known for their exceptional quality and craftsmanship. They’re one of the best in the shipping industry. Naturally, this also applies to their transport solutions.”

 

“Holding Bags,” Ryan said, following Sera’s implication.

 

“Indeed. Though they primarily focus on shipping, they cater to both merchants and adventurers alike,” Sera explained, entering the store.

 

As they walked in, a well-dressed man approached them, face brightening as he recognized Sera. “Lady Seraphine, what an honor it is to welcome you once more to our establishment. Do I presume correctly that you’re here to introduce some esteemed guests in need of our expertise?” he said, turning to inspect Alpha Team.

 

Sera smiled and gestured to Henry and his team. She held her chin a bit higher, voice sounding more posh as she spoke, “Indeed, Zorith, a delight as always. You’ve deduced correctly. Allow me to present some valued acquaintances who are keen to benefit from your guidance: the Tier 6 Adventurers of Alpha Team.”

 

The man, who Henry now knew as Zorith, appraised them. “Welcome to Red Sail. I am Zorith, the branch manager.”

 

Henry couldn’t help but notice the shift in Sera’s tone and demeanor. He wondered if he should follow suit, adopting a more formal and polished manner of speaking. Clearing his throat, he introduced himself, “A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Zorith. I am Captain Henry Donnager, leader of Alpha Team.” He gestured to each member of his team in turn. “Allow me to introduce my colleagues and fellow adventurers: Lieutenant Owens, Specialists Yen and Hayes, and Dr. Anderson.

 

Each team member nodded or offered a brief greeting as they were introduced.

 

Zorith inclined his head. “An honor to make your acquaintance, Captain Donnager and esteemed members of Alpha Team. I must say, I have often pondered the moment I would have the privilege of serving my first American clients. Little did I anticipate such a distinguished occasion would present itself so promptly.”

 

Henry raised an eyebrow, surprised by the comment. “You know we’re American?”

Zorith chuckled. “In my line of work, information is the lifeblood of success. One does not rise to the rank of regional manager without cultivating a robust network of knowledge.” He nodded towards their attire. “And if I may be so bold, your accoutrements are quite… unparalleled, distinguishing you markedly from the typical adventurer. I know of no smithy that produces such pocketed vests, nor have I seen armor of such fine quality.”

 

Henry smirked. Yeah, it was good to know that DARPA and modern production techniques outclassed the local megacorps. “Well, I suppose we do stand out a bit.”

 

Zorith smiled and clasped his hands together. “Now, how may I assist you today? Might I inquire about the nature of your venture and the type of cargo you intend to transport? Or perhaps, your interest lies in perusing our exquisite collections from across the seas?”

 

The offer to take a first glance at all the various products Gaerra had to offer was tempting, but that would have to come another time. “We’ve got an expedition coming up that’ll take us into the forest. We’ll need a larger container suitable for carrying a variety of items – monster materials, equipment, basic supplies – and a smaller bag for each of us.” He gestured to himself and his team.

 

“Very well,” Zorith bowed. “At Red Sail, our pride lies in curating an unparalleled assortment of wares. Please, follow me, and allow me the honor of escorting you through our inventory. I’m confident you shall find the essentials to guarantee the success of your expedition.”

 

Trailing behind Zorith, they walked past the main grocery area, sidestepping a party of adventurers in what looked to be top-tier Mithrilforged armor. It was hard not to notice – the kind of stuff typically associated with Tier 8 adventurers and the upper ranks. They glanced back at him, whispering. It seemed that Zorith’s observations about their unorthodox gear were on point.

Zorith brought them to a section of the store dedicated to Holding Bags. Various aisles separated arrays of satchels, backpacks, and pouches in various sizes and materials. “Here, we have our selection of Holding Bags.” He gestured to a row of messenger bags. “These are our smallest options: the Pixie line. They’re more fashion-oriented, so I think you might be more interested in the other options – our Griffin line backpacks and our Leviathan line rucksacks.”

 

“Could you show us the inside of one of the Griffin backpacks?” Henry asked.

 

“Certainly.” Zorith pulled one of the backpacks from the shelves, explaining its characteristics as he unzipped the main pocket. “Our Griffin series backpacks are crafted from top-quality Griffin leather, as one might expect. They offer ample space for your weapons, equipment, and provisions, also featuring an array of side pouches within for organizing smaller items like potions and scrolls.”

 

Henry leaned over to inspect the Holding Bag, his initial skepticism waning and giving way to intrigue. From the outside, the bag seemed no larger than a standard backpack, yet the interior suggested a space akin to a closet. It could honestly swallow all of his gear without so much as a hiccup. Tentatively, he extended his hand into the bag’s depths, expecting to lose his arm up to the shoulder. Instead, his fingertips brushed against the bottom with minimal effort.

 

What the fuck? He felt his brows furrowing in confusion as he straightened up and rubbed the back of his neck, dizziness settling in. Physics, as he knew it, did not account for spaces that bent and stretched like rubber at a carnival show. The sensation of touching the bottom of what should have been an abyss was disorienting at best, and he could already feel a mild wave of nausea threatening his composure.

 

Sera put her hand on his shoulder. “The experience does require a period of adjustment. The first time I looked into a Holding Bag, I was nearly overtaken by vertigo.”

 

Henry took a slow, steadying breath. He’d seen fireballs form in midair and Nobian scribbling rearrange to English but this – this was the craziest magic he had seen so far. Yes, he had seen adventurers use a Holding Cart, but witnessing the phenomena with his own eyes was a completely different spectacle.

 

With a cautious nod, he stepped back. The practical part of his brain, the part that cataloged and assessed every tool for its utility in the field, knew the value of what he was seeing. Yet, the rational part, the part grounded in the laws of physics and reality, balked at the acceptance of such a blatant defiance of nature.

 

Ron decided to take a peek as well, similarly staggered by the sight. He looked confused, but not in the same way. “Hey, if these are made of Griffin leather, does that mean the Pixie bags are made of… uh, y’know…”

 

“Ah, heavens forbid,” Zorith hastily clarified. He raised his hands up, as if eager to dispel the misconceptions. “Let me allay such concerns posthase. Our Pixie collection takes no liberties with the fey themselves. The name is merely a reference to their diminutive size and lightweight nature. They are, in truth, fashioned from the finest Falquor leather, with exquisite alternatives in Skyrend and Blazehide. Might you be interested?”

 

“Well, it’s good to know they’re not made of Pixies, but I think we’ll pass on those for now. How much are the Griffin bags compared to the Leviathan bags?” Henry asked.

 

“Our baseline Griffin model starts at 15,000 lumens. Should you favor the Leviathan series, the base offering begins at 50,000 lumens.”

 

The recent quest with Kelmithus brought them from 87,720 lumens all the way to almost 150,000 lumens thanks to the generous quest rewards and the Rillifane materials. As much as he was interested in storing long rifles and launchers in a large rucksack, it seemed that he’d have to wait until they had enough money. They’d have to stick with the Griffin series, but choosing a specific model was another question. “What are the differences between the Griffin models?”

 

“Our base models come with enchantments for steadfast durability and elemental resistance. Beyond these, we extend the opportunity for additional enchantments, available for integration both here and via our affiliated enchanters,” Zorith explained, handing Henry a catalog of the different possible enchantments they could apply. “Options span from charms that render the pack as light as possible to compartments that can withstand volatile materials.”

 

Henry considered the options. While some provided enticing benefits, he didn’t know if they would be worth straining their wallets. Just having a Holding Bag to begin with was already a step up. He turned to this team, “I think the base model should suffice. What do y’all think?”

 

“Seems solid,” Isaac commented, his sentiment echoed by the others. 

 

“We can always look into enchantments later on, if needed,” Dr. Anderson agreed.

 

“Alright then,” Henry said, facing Zorith, “We’ll take five of the base Griffin backpacks.”

 

Zorith made a note on a small notebook he produced from his coat pocket. “Excellent. Now, let us move on to the Holding Carts.”

 

He guided them to another section of the store, where larger containers were displayed, from carts to chests built into wagons. “I imagine you would prefer to use your peculiar iron carriages for transport, so I recommend our Voyager series. Those amongst our clientele, namely parties who favor their own wagons, often select these for their more compact sizing.”

 

“Yeah, why not? Let’s take a look at the Voyager models,” Henry agreed.

 

Zorith brought them to an aisle of carts that looked about the same size as a typical storage bin that one might find in a warehouse. “The Voyager models are crafted from reinforced treant wood with Thornfeyl weave for added durability.”

 

That was yet another eyebrow-raising comment. Thornfeyls, if he recalled correctly from the briefings, were humanoid entities mostly made of plant matter. He could more or less see the nomenclature for the Pixie bags, but the way Zorith explained it made it sound like the carts actually used Thornfeyl materials. “Aren’t Thornfeyls… humanoid?”

 

“Oh, Captain, your concern is charmingly misplaced,” Sera began, a faint smile growing on her lips like she was amused by a private joke. “Thornfeyls, though they may look the part, are from from being kin to us. It’s all an elaborate ruse by nature – roots and vines ingeniously crafted to bewilder the uninitiated. In fact, our scholars once had the curious notion to dissect one; that’s how we discovered the Thornfeyls have not a hint of flesh. They’re merely the forest’s attempt at a jest, nothing more.”

 

“Brilliantly said, Lady Seraphine,” Zorith affirmed with a respectful nod. “Indeed, materials derived from Thornfeyls surpass the resilience of most fibers and even exceed celisyrin in conductivity. The base models, equipped with enchantments akin to those in our Holding Bags, are priced starting at 50,000 lumens.”

 

Henry opened one of the carts, bracing himself for another bout of reality bending. The cart, looking no more cumbersome than a regular handcart, apparently held a space as vast as a small apartment, split into several ‘rooms’. He gave it a cursory look-over, the initial shock of the Holding Bag still fresh in his mind tempering his reaction. It didn’t make any more sense, but at least the visual trick didn’t hit him as hard.

 

Stomaching the view, he decided this would be perfect for storing the myriad materials and artifacts they might find – as well as some of the heftier gear like the envirosuits. “We’ll take a base model.”

 

Zorith’s grin widened as he surveyed the collection they’d amassed. “An excellent choice, Captain. If there’s nothing else, please follow me to the counter and we’ll conclude your purchase.”

 

Henry nodded and followed him. As Zorith set to work tallying the cost, Henry’s hand instinctively went to the front pocket of his pack, fishing out the slightly wrinkled voucher they’d been awarded from their first day as adventurers. “Hold up, we’ve got this,” he said, offering up the voucher.

 

Taking the voucher, Zorith analyzed the terms. “Ah, with this discount applied, we shall deduct twenty percent from the initial asking of 135,000 lumens,” he said, quickly scribbling on his paper, “rendering your amended total to 108,000 lumens.”

 

Henry felt a small wave of relief wash over him. Every bit saved meant more leeway for whatever curveballs this world decided to throw at them next. With the discount hammered in, the final number was a bit less of a gut punch. He slid his Guild ID across the counter.

 

“My thanks for your patience, Captain. This transaction may require a few minutes,” Zorith said, crafting his request to the Adventurer’s Guild via aethergraph. It was a brief wait, the aethergraph operators on the other end no doubt processing multiple requests simultaneously, but soon enough, the transaction was complete. 

 

Zorith handed Henry a neatly written receipt. “I extend my gratitude for entrusting your needs to Red Sail, Captain. Rest assured, the Holding Bags and Cart you’ve selected shall serve you well. If there arise any issues, you may see the receipt for details on your warranty and any returns.”

 

Henry accepted the receipt. The purchase brought them down to around 40,000 lumens – a significant hit, but one they could bounce back from once they completed their next quest. He tucked it safely into his pocket, picking up his new Griffin bag. “Thank you, Zorith. Your expertise and guidance have been much appreciated.”

 

They exited Red Sail, their new acquisitions in tow. As they stepped out onto the compacted cobblestone outside, Sera turned to Henry with a seemingly enthusiastic smile. “So, where to next? I believe I mentioned a visit to Spellbound. I dare say you’ll be quite fascinated by their elixirs and scrolls.”

 

Henry glanced at his team, gauging their reactions. They seemed genuinely intrigued by the prospect, and truth be told, there was nothing else they had scheduled for the day. Why not see what other wonders Eldralore had to offer?

 

He returned Sera’s smile. “Lead the way.”

 

5