Chapter 3: The Sonaran Federation
399 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Authors Note:

Starting November 14, 2023, Tier 2 Manifest Fantasy Patrons and higher will be able to read one chapter ahead!

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd 

 

I will be providing updates and announcements via discord. If you are well-versed in writing and military equipment/tactics, please consider joining the server. I could always use extra feedback.

Discord: https://discord.gg/wr2xexGJaD 

 

If you enjoy my work, please consider supporting me by using this Webull referral code to get up to 12 free stocks (after an initial deposit of at least $1), or by becoming a Patron!

 

Webull: https://a.webull.com/gGli6zkc37slwnl0O8 

 

——


Eldralore, Sonaran Federation

November 10, 2024

 

Kelmithus’ boots met the smooth gravel road as the ambient sounds of the city – voices of traders, footsteps, and distant laughter – formed a backdrop. Upon seeing the archmage, the guards by the gate immediately stiffened and presented a deep, synchronized bow, their spears held vertically in salute. 

 

Ambassador Perry, holding a radio in one hand and his clipboard in the other, pressed a button. “Pioneer to Armstrong, this is Perry. We’ve arrived at Eldralore and are currently at the entrance.”

 

Ron’s hand remained on the wheel, his attention focused on the exchange outside. “Once the archmage signals, we’ll move up.”

 

Henry directed a question to Perry, “Are we expecting any additional formalities during our stay?”

 

Perry released the radio button, allowing it to hang by his side. “Kelmithus should smooth things over. I’ll handle most of the talking. As long as you don’t say anything… out of pocket around the nobles, we should be fine.”

 

Henry nodded and looked back to the front. Outside the MRAP, the wind picked up, rustling the banners that hung from the city walls – one of the star-studded flag of the Sonaran Federation and another of the local duchy. Kelmithus approached the guards, waving his hand. The guards eased up at the sign and the one with an intricate design on his armor stepped forward.

 

“Archmage Kelmithus,” the guard began, “it is an honor to receive you and your guests.” He eyed the MRAPs behind Kelmithus. 

 

Kelmithus offered a nod. “Indeed, Captain Arlen, these are the esteemed delegates mentioned in the aethergraph message. Their realm is not unlike ours, with its share of adversities and triumphs. Let us show them our hospitality.”

 

Dr. Anderson peered through the window as the conversation took place and murmured to Henry, “Look at the other guards. They’re trying hard not to look our way, but you can see they’re curious. The youngest ones can barely contain it.”

 

Ron leaned back in his seat, “Bet they’ve never seen these metal carriages before, huh? Just wait ‘til they catch a glimpse of our steel dragons.”

 

“Who knows,” Perry responded, leaning his arm on the door. “It’s possible they’re familiar with the concept if they are aware that dwarves have steam engines. Though, it might be best not to disrupt the local societies with our technologies. Our guidelines still emphasize a policy of minimal interference.”

 

As Kelmithus’ conversation wrapped up, Arlen signaled to a couple of guards who were manning a sturdy wooden barrier arm. Operating a windlass, they lifted the barrier and stepped aside to make space for the convoy. Kelmithus took a moment to exchange a few more words with Captain Arlen before gesturing to the convoy.

 

Ron revved the engine softly, edging the vehicle forward to pick up Kelmithus. Local knights on dradaks led the convoy, the afternoon sun painting everything in a warm light as they exited the wall’s shadow. Henry fixed his gaze outside, taking in every detail of Eldralore’s lively streets.

 

The ride was smooth. Unlike the rugged terrain during the journey here, the roads had a solidness to them. It was made of… compacted gravel? Henry wondered how the Sonarans managed to create something so reminiscent of familiar asphalt back home. Magical lights and signs at junctions provided guidance, giving some semblance of order in the busy city. As they moved, the tantalizing aroma of baked goods, roasted meats, and herbs wafted from open-air eateries. In the distance, the rhythmic sound of a blacksmith’s hammer met Henry’s ears, interrupted by a chime of a bell from a nearby tower. 

 

Unique establishments lined the streets – a store with a potion drawn on a sign outside, another with drawings of tools and cutlery. Beside them stood a butchery, complete with slabs of alien meat and wagons waiting by the front door. They then passed by a blacksmith, furnace belching smoke as a mage stoked the flames within. All of the buildings were characterized by unique blend of baroque and high medieval architecture – exactly what Ron had shown him in clips of various anime and movies.


Dr. Anderson scribbled down constant notes in between snaps of photos, mouth hanging slightly open as he immersed himself in the fantastical environment. “This place… it’s like stepping back in time, yet everything’s so… alive.”

“For real.” Ron slowed down as a group of adventurers walked past, ogling at the convoy just as much as Ron ogled at them. Though he wasn’t as busy as Dr. Anderson, Henry could only guess how excited he must’ve been. 

 

They approached a wide square with a towering fountain at its center, water spouting from the maws of a hydra carved with intricate detail. The sound of cascading water filled the square, mingling with local conversations. Ambassador Perry leaned out the window to get a better view. “The Archmage wasn’t kidding when he said this city was rich in history.”

 

“Just hope they’re as rich in catgirls or elven baddies…” Ron trailed off, the last words in his sentence inaudible to all but Henry.

 

Henry nearly did a double take. “Bro what?”

 

Ron cleared his throat, “Uh, just hope they’re as rich in hospitality. Ahem.” He steered the MRAP skillfully through a tighter street, which then opened up to a wider road. “So, uh, where are we headed?”

 

Kelmithus answered, “We are headed to the grand abode of Duke Vancor ad Styne. Though, not his primary residence. His generosity has extended to provide lodgings for your esteemed delegation.”

Henry nodded as the heart of Eldralore gave way to a distinctly affluent district. Buildings, crafted from stone and crowned with pointed arches, were interspersed with broad driveways. Commerce and chatter were abundant as they made their way through. He could see ornate entrances leading into shops and high-end boutiques, frequented by wealthy merchants or nobles. They picked up a bit of speed, continuing to follow the knights ahead until they entered a path that seemed much more maintained than the busy city roads they had left behind. As they continued, the sweeping visage of an opulent mansion unveiled itself.

 

The mansion’s entrance boasted an ornate gate, guarded by statuesque figures. They were accompanied by magical lights on each side which cast reflections over meticulously tended gardens. Tall towers loomed on either end of the mansion, overlooking the surrounding walls. Resplendent in their gleaming armor, guards stood sentry by the gate and within the courtyard. The convoy slowed down, coming to a graceful halt before the gateway.

 

Henry observed as Kelmithus stepped out to speak with the mansion’s guards. The conversation was brief, with one of the guards giving a curt nod before signaling for the gates to be opened. As they slowly creaked open, Henry’s gaze fell upon the courtyard, taking note of its layout and the placement of attendants who awaited them.

 

The vehicles rumbled to a stop, and Henry was the first to disembark. The ground was firm underfoot, feeling like asphalt or concrete. Attendants in modest tunics and blazers approached him and the rest of the delegation.

 

One of them, a middle-aged man with graying hair, stepped forward. He had elongated ears that ended in a point. Similar to a Vulcan, Henry mused, though ‘elf’ would probably be more appropriate. He didn’t even need to look at Ron to know he was on the verge of wetting himself over seeing his first elf. “Greetings, esteemed travelers, and welcome to the guest mansion of Duke Vancor. I am Rolan, head steward of this establishment. Please, allow me to guide you to your lodgings.”

 

Ambassador Perry extended his hand with a smile. “Thank you, Rolan. I am Ambassador Perry, representing the United States of America. We appreciate the hospitality.” He gestured to Henry. “This is Captain Henry Donnager, our head of security.”

 

Henry gave a curt nod, replying, “Lead the way, Rolan.” He cast a glance at the other attendants, assessing them.

 

Rolan gestured towards the mansion. “This way.” As they started the short walk toward the building, Rolan pointed to some of the mansion’s architectural features. “Although this is a guest residence, Duke Vancor commissioned artisans from across the Federation to work on its construction, ensuring comfort and security for esteemed visitors.”

 

Henry, staying close to Ambassador Perry, took in his surroundings. The mansion was surrounded by a low stone wall, the top of which was decorated with intricate, leafy designs that shimmered ever so slightly under the sunlight – likely some magical enchantment. The wall clearly offered a layer of redundancy if the outer walls were ever breached, yet maintained the aesthetic of the courtyard. He eyed Dr. Anderson. Sure enough, he was marveling over the designs.

 

Their path led to a massive wooden door, flanked by two guards with spears at the ready. Their armor was ornate but practical, and their focused gazes never left the delegation, taking stock just as he was. Not a word was exchanged between them and Rolan, but they effortlessly swung the doors open at his approach.

 

The main hall beyond was grand but not ostentatious. High-vaulted ceilings loomed above, supported by thick wooden beams, and the polished marble floor was interrupted only by lush rugs that muffled their steps. Light streamed in from tall windows, lending warmth to the otherwise cool space.

 

Henry’s eyes drifted to a couple of doorways branching off the main hall, likely leading to other chambers. His eyes then jumped to the spiral staircase, then another door, taking mental notes of the mansion’s layout, possible exit points, and vulnerabilities. Kelmithus had demonstrated himself to be trustworthy so far, but he couldn’t reliably say the same about everyone else – especially not after the recent ‘bandit’ ambush. Though he didn’t outright distrust their hosts, it also didn’t hurt to be prepared.

 

Ryan, walking a step behind, leaned in. “This place seems sturdy. Good vantage points,” he commented in a low voice.

 

Henry nodded, whispering back, “Let’s not make any assumptions. We’ll review the grounds later.”

 

Rolan paused in the center of the hall, gesturing toward the artwork adorning the walls. “Duke Vancor possesses a fondness for the arts. These tapestries depict significant moments in the history of the Sonaran Federation.” He led the group toward a particular painting, its grandeur outshining its neighbors and housed within a finely carved wooden frame. It showcased a noble figure upon a magnificent throne, his brow crowned with intertwined gold and silver. Encircling him, nobles from all corners engaged in fervent conversation. Some conveyed their points with animated gestures, while others remained still, lending earnest ears.

 

“This,” Rolan began with a touch of solemnity, “is the revered High Council. Behold King Elthran ad Selios as he sought discourse with the nobles of Old Sonara, a time where unity was wrought from dire need.”

 

Henry scrutinized the assembly in the painting. “An alliance was forged?”

 

“Indeed, Captain,” Rolan responded with a gentle nod. “The former Kingdom of Sonara, though rich in heritage and bounty, was riven by discord. The great lords, sovereigns in their own right, were often at odds, each vying for influence. Foreign nations, keenly aware of our inner strife, endeavored to exploit this to their own ends.”

 

Dr. Anderson analyzed the paintings with childlike wonder, noting the foreign banners woven into the backdrop. “External threats compelled them to rally together.”

 

“Verily,” continued Rolan. “The fractures within rendered us susceptible. In wisdom, King Elthran envisioned the birth of the Sonaran Federation, granting autonomy to lords in their dominions in exchange for a pledge of fealty to the federal government.”

 

Ambassador Perry raised an eyebrow, a smile growing on his face. “Interesting. So these lords, or governors, manage their own region yet unite under a central authority during pressing matters?”

 

“Aye, a close likeness. As the years waned, surrounding nations aspired to join our fold, be it for security, commerce, or shared faith.”

 

Immersed in the lore, Ron asked, “Shared faith?”

Rolan indicated the sun emblem, glowing subtly in the painting. “Sola, Goddess of the sun, of light, and of life. She bathes our lands in her light and wisdom. Her teachings bind us, standing stark against the shadowy beliefs of the worshipers of Lunara, who have taken root in the Nobian Empire.”

 

Henry caught the undercurrents of tension in Rolan’s tone. The Nobian Empire… Kelmithus had mentioned this name after the ambush. He looked at Perry, brows furrowed and arms crossed. He wasn’t the only one who wanted answers on these mysterious Nobians. “What can you tell us about the Nobian Empire?” he ventured.

 

Rolan’s smile faded, his eyes becoming hard. “The Nobian Empire, once a mere collection of territories, has of late risen in might and ambition. Their embrace of Lunara, the Goddess of the night and darkness, fuels their growing audacity. It is whispered that some within the Empire seek greater power and influence.”

 

Dr. Anderson crossed his arms. “The dossier on the Nobian Empire says the same thing, but it didn’t really go into depth on current geopolitics aside from their basic history.”

 

Kelmithus, who stood at a little distance, gave a slight bow. “My apologies for the oversight, Doctor. In penning that ‘dossier’, I endeavored to remain impartial. In truth, we believe that they covet Sonaran lands, and with it, its history and magics. However, this assertion remains uncorroborated, for the Nobians have spurned our overtures of diplomacy. Alas, our interactions with them have been but minor frays and skirmishes upon the Grenden Plains.”

 

The implications of Kelmithus’ statement were clear to Henry, especially considering the fact that the ruins and their base were smack dab in the middle of the Grenden Plains. “Is that something we’re gonna have to worry about?”

 

Kelmithus shook his head. “The Nobians have not ventured into those lands for many a year. However, the possibility lingers that they might tread there once again. The ambush bore hallmarks of their tactics, and I must concede that discerning their movements has been a challenge of late.”

 

Ryan took a step forward, his voice rough and tinged with Southern drawl as he spoke. “With all due respect, an ambush of that damn scale indicates a significant breach of operational security. Who knew of our arrival? Are those ‘aethergraph’ things secure? Is it possible the message was intercepted?”

 

Kelmithus adjusted his stance. “I share your concern, Sir Hayes. We took every precaution, but it seems word spread to nefarious ears. The aethergraphs are indeed ‘secure’. There lies no possibility of ‘interception’.” He lowered his voice, “It is probable there are Nobian spies within the ranks of the local guards.”

 

Rolan stepped in, putting on a smile and holding his hands up. “Worry not; everyone here is under the personal employ of Duke Vancor himself; there is no risk of betrayal here.”

 

Isaac eyed a pair of guards patrolling outside the building. “Still, perhaps holding our discussions at the base would be a wiser choice. The security there is more… familiar.”

 

Henry frowned, assessing the room, while Perry cleared his throat. “Look, I understand the concerns, but consider this: pulling out now and heading to Armstrong Base might send the wrong message to the Sonarans. They might see it as a slight. The last thing we need is to strain this delicate, historical relationship from the get-go. We cannot allow humanity’s first interplanetary contact to be a failure.”

 

He paused, taking a brief moment to gauge the reactions of those around him. “Also, moving now could expose us even more. Eldralore has its defenses, and we’ve got Captain Donnager’s team and their gear, plus the good Archmage. We should play it smart and leverage the security we have right here, rather than risking the journey back.”

 

Ryan shrugged. “I still think Isaac’s right, but the Ambassador does have a point. This location has a lot of open lines of sight and great vantage points. Minimal risk of intruders even getting close to the gates. Your call, Captain.”

 

Henry scratched his neck. He initiated all of this and with Perry’s justification and Ryan’s support, he simply had to see it through. “Alright, we’ll stay and hold the meetings here. But we hightail it back to base at the first sign of trouble.”

 

Perry placed a hand on Henry’s shoulder. “Thank you, Captain.”

 

Rolan, sensing the moment of tension had passed, gestured gracefully to an archway leading further into the mansion. “Pray, follow me and I shall conduct you to the chambers prepared for your repose.”

 

They passed by more indistinct hallways and adjoining rooms before finally arriving at their living quarters, which faced a conference room, training hall, and bath. Rolan opened the door to one of the bedrooms, revealing the luxuries within. “Herein lie your quarters, diligently prepared to ensure your rest and solace. We have assigned one bedroom to each person,” he declared, the rich timbre of his voice hinting at pride. “They are furnished with all that might be requisite for your comfort. Should any additional need arise, do not hesitate to summon our attendants, who stand ever ready to serve.”

 

Henry looked in awe. It was as one would expect for a noble’s bedroom: massive white spaces, sophisticated decorations, a large and comfortable bed, and maids standing at attention. Everything was surprisingly fit for modern standards, with magical lighting attached to a switch. Even the bathroom had proper plumbing, including a toilet and shower. Dr. Anderson was utterly intrigued by this anachronism, closely studying the design of those amenities and jotting down notes.

 

Henry then turned to Ambassador Perry, who seemed the most unfazed by this display, offering only a smile and a handshake to express his gratitude. “We are much obliged for your hospitality, Rolan.”

 

Rolan, with a refined nod of his head, replied, “The honor is ours, Sir Perry. Please remember, in an hour’s time, dinner shall be served in our grand hall. Until then, be it your wish to explore these venerable halls or simply relax, you have our leave.”

 

As Rolan strolled down the hallway, the delegation’s members dispersed to investigate their immediate surroundings. Henry took a few steps inside of his bedroom, surveying its intricacies. His hand grazed the bedspread, feeling the fine, cool texture. He could hear the distant chatter of his colleagues – some of the rooms further down discussing their quarters.

 

Ron ambled in, leaning by the open door. “Fancy as hell, right? Kinda makes you forget we’re on a diplomatic mission.”

 

Henry smirked, glancing at the maids who stood attentively at the room’s corner. “You must be so excited, huh?”

 

“Bruh,” Ron said. “I may be a weeb, but that doesn’t mean I’m a degenerate.”

 

Henry clapped his friend on the shoulder as he walked out of his bedroom. “Sure thing, buddy. Anyway, I think I know where to establish our command post.”

 

He gestured to the adjoining conference room. Bookshelves dominated the walls, no doubt filled with tales ripe for an eager Anderson. Perry and Kelmithus were already seated at the elongated table in the center and engaged in earnest discussion. At the far end, a lone window loomed, overlooking the courtyard below. “Seems like the most practical choice. It’s right between all our rooms – a nice central spot to strategize and monitor everything from. Speaking of which,” he waved a hand to Isaac and Ryan, who were checking the room for possible bugs.

 

“Yo! Yen, Hayes!” Henry called out, beckoning to them as he walked toward Kelmithus and Perry.

 

“Captain,” Ryan nodded, approaching the table. 

 

“I’m thinking of setting up here,” Henry said, taking in the room’s layout. 

 

“Looks solid,” Ryan agreed. 

 

“Aight, let’s get these babies rolling,” Isaac said, pulling out electronics from a bag and setting it on the table. Nudging Ryan, he motioned with his chin to the walls. “You think this old stone’s gonna mess with the signal?”

 

“Nah dude, doubt it,” Ryan said, glancing over to Kelmithus. “Dunno about the enchantments and stuff though.”

 

The archmage looked out at the wall outside. “Doctor Lamarr’s testing yielded little evidence of ‘interference’; I know not of the natural philosophies behind your mechanisms, but her judgment appeared sound.”

 

Henry nodded. “Just in case though, would you mind having some of your knights take up shifts here?”

 

“Your recommendation holds wisdom. I will reassign some of my men from the perimeter patrols. Our insight into the Aether may prove useful.”

 

“Alright.” Henry glanced at his watch. “We’ll reconvene here ten minutes before dinner; should be enough time for a review of our plans and local etiquette.”

 

Dr. Anderson, having momentarily been lost in a tome from a shelf, reluctantly shut it and approached the table. “No time for a quick tour of the library, then?”

 

Henry shook his head, grinning slightly. “Priorities, Doctor. But we’ll see.”

 

As everyone prepared for the upcoming dinner, Henry turned away from the conference table and made his way back to his room. The day had been long, and a wash before dinner seemed a prudent choice. As he stepped into the bathroom, the sheer opulence of it made him momentarily forget he was in a foreign world – gleaming marble tiles, a tub that looked hand-carved, and various vials and jars containing substances he didn’t recognize. As he closed the door and undressed, he considered trying out the mysterious liquids but instead pulled his own shampoo and soap from a bag. 

 

What caught his attention, however, was the shower. There were no knobs or handles, just a set of intricately designed glyphs arranged in a circle, with three major ones laid out in a row. Maybe he missed the handle? He searched for one to no avail. He then touched one glyph, hoping for water to start pouring, but nothing happened. After a few futile attempts, he realized he might need some assistance.

 

Clearing his throat and putting his clothes back on, he stepped out and noticed one of the maids still lingering nearby. “Excuse me,” he began, “I seem to be having some trouble with the shower. Could you help?”

 

The maid, a young woman with bright hazel eyes and a gentle smile, stepped into the bathroom and glanced at the glyphs. She nodded, placing her hand over the third glyph in the row. With a glow, it slowly spun to life. Water poured out of the showerhead, already tuned to a comfortable temperature. “The bathing systems here call upon the essence of mana. Unfortunately, without innate magic, one would need an external touch.”

 

She produced a small, radiant blue crystal from a pocket in her attire and handed it to Henry. “We use mana crystals like this to operate more mana-intensive equipment, but you can hold on to this. Hold the crystal near the glyphs to supply it with magic energy, then select your desires upon the glyphs.”

 

Henry accepted the crystal, the strange object exuding a soft pulse. “Thank you,” he said, noting the warmth of the object. “I’m not quite used to… this.”

 

The maid chuckled softly. “Fear not. We were briefed about the vast divides between our realms. The first glyph commands the warmth of the water, the second its vigor, and should you wish it ceased, press the crystal to the third.”

 

With an appreciative nod, Henry said, “I think I’ve got it from here. Thanks again.”

 

She bowed slightly. “Always at your service. Should further assistance be sought, merely voice it. May you enjoy your shower.”

 

Left alone again, Henry examined the crystal for a moment before following her instructions. Henry smiled like a kid using a new toy as he operated the shower. It was more like someone on a starship using holograms to control things rather than magic. As he showered, all he could think of was how conveniently modern the plumbing was and how grateful he was that he didn’t have to reduce himself to shitting in a bucket.

 

Feeling refreshed, he dried off and dressed in his official attire, giving another nod to the maid as he walked to the conference room. Upon entering, he noticed the members of his team busily setting up the equipment. The elongated table was now covered in wires, displays, and various electronic devices. Perry and Kelmithus were still engrossed in conversation, but now with some blueprints spread out before them.

 

Ron, reading one of the books from the shelves, looked up at Henry’s entrance. “You figure out the restroom on your own?”

 

Henry grinned, recalling his brief mishap. “Nah. Had to ask the maid to turn it on for me.” He pulled out the mana crystal, “Turns out their things run on mana so we gotta use these?”

 

Ron gave a shrug, his smile giving way to a chuckle. “Well, at least you didn’t mess up like Jankowski. The guys are calling him Royal Flush now, pretty sure that’s gonna stick for a while.”

 

Henry stifled a laugh. “Shit, what happened?”

 

“Dude took a crap, and couldn’t flush it ‘cause he didn’t have one of those crystals. Maid had to come in and take care of it for him, and the rumor spread from there. Good thing he brought his own toilet paper, or else the maid would’ve had to wipe his ass for him.”

 

“Ouch,” Henry responded, still struggling to contain his laughter. “And here I thought figuring out the shower was a challenge.”

 

Anderson approached, overhearing the conversation. “It’s truly fascinating, isn’t it? The existence of magic here led to new technological developments otherwise impossible. I can only imagine what that means for their culture, economy, and warfare.”

 

Henry’s head lowered subtly at that word. “Warfare.” He turned the mana crystal in his hand, letting the blue light refract through his fingers. “Yeah, that’s a significant concern. We got lucky with the bandit ambush. There’s no telling what else magic is capable of. Could be at a serious disadvantage if shit hits the fan.”

 

“That’s what our Sonaran buddies – hopefully – are for, right?” Ron lightly jabbed his elbow at Henry.

 

Henry shrugged. “Yeah, guess so. Alright, let’s prepare for our review. Yen, Hayes?”

 

Ryan replied as he typed away at a laptop. “Cameras are installed at all the main hallways and junctions. We’ve also got motion sensors and infrared lasers positioned near entrances and windows. Any suspicious activity will give us silent alerts. We’ve already informed the attendants to steer clear from these areas at night.”

 

“Archmage?”

 

“My knights stand ready to assist,” Kelmithus affirmed. “They have thoroughly vetted each member of the mansion staff and found no irregularities. I dare say, we need not fear any obstacles.”

 

Henry, satisfied with the setup, nodded. “Excellent work, everyone. Ambassador,” he gestured to Perry, allowing him to take over.

 

“Quick refresher,” Perry announced. “Remember to avoid direct political discussions and stick to our main goals. And please, do not mention the Nobian Empire. There won’t be any other guests at this dinner aside from ourselves, but I’d still like everyone to treat this dinner like a black-tie event. Thankfully, Sonoran etiquette is compatible with our own, so I expect everyone to conduct themselves accordingly. Given our different cultures, misunderstandings are bound to occur, but let’s handle them with tact.”

 

A knock on the door interrupted the briefing. The door opened to reveal Rolan, who gave a deep bow. “I trust our accommodations have been to your liking?” he asked, allowing his gaze to briefly sweep over the room and the unfamiliar devices strewn across.

 

Henry suppressed a smile, remembering the misfortune of Royal Flush. “Indeed, Rolan. We’re just wrapping up here.”

 

“Most fortuitous,” the butler responded, inclining his head gracefully. “The banquet in the grand hall nears its commencement. It awaits you and your esteemed compatriots. While it shan’t be graced with the presence of nobility, the repast has been prepared with utmost care to honor our distinguished guests.”

 

“So we’re basically nobles now, is what he’s saying?” Ryan whispered.

 

Isaac muttered back a quick ‘yeah’ as Perry responded to Rolan. “We appreciate the hospitality. Please lead the way.”

 

With Rolan leading, they proceeded down the corridor and navigated through hallways and stairs until they reached the grand hall on the first floor. Upon entering, Henry was struck by its sheer magnificence. Towering ceilings, radiant chandeliers, tables adorned with an array of exotic dishes – Rolan wasn’t kidding about the hospitality. 

 

Rolan stepped forth, announcing to the other attendants present, “Introducing the delegation of the United States of America and Archmage Kelmithus ad Helis.”

 

The delegation spread out, taking their seats. Henry sat near the head of the table, alongside Perry and Kelmithus. The various small dishes arrayed in front of him bore familiar aromas and appearances, yet were undoubtedly different from anything on Earth. One of the dishes had precisely cut slices of what looked like ribeye steak, but rather than the typical pink medium, it had a more purplish hue, like a dragonfruit. 

 

Kelmithus, noticing Henry’s intrigued expression, softly said, “That would be steak made from a cav. They’re bovine creatures, akin to your ‘cow’. They graze in fields near concentrations of mana crystals, hence their unique hue.”

 

Henry nodded, taking a small portion and placing it onto his plate. The first bite was tender, and a subtle, beefy flavor danced on his tongue. The meat really did resemble beef, but it had a unique zest to it, something that he couldn’t quite place.

 

Across the table, Dr. Anderson examined a greenish broth filled with floating herbs. “What might this be?”

 

A nearby attendant answered, “Tis Manafern Soup, good sir. Made of cav stock and a rare herb used in crafting potions. It aids in replenishing mana and is favored by mages after intense spellcasting.”

 

“Dr. Perdue tested local food, right? We can eat mana-rich foods?” Henry interjected.

 

Kelmithus nodded. “Indeed, her tests concluded that your biology is compatible and that ‘there are no adverse effects’, and I concur. Beings with low mana capacity do not absorb excess and instead excrete it.”

 

“Huh.” With his concerns alleviated, Henry returned to enjoying his meal. The clinking of silverware and soft murmurs of appreciation filled the grand hall as dishes were tasted and praised. 

 

Kelmithus took a sip from his goblet, setting it down with a thoughtful look. He turned to Henry, his eyes briefly resting on his wristwatch – a novelty to him, no doubt. “These metal beasts of yours that patrol the perimeter, what are they?”

 

Henry set his fork down. “They’re called UGVs - Unmanned Ground Vehicles. They’re controlled remotely, like the rover.”

 

Kelmithus tilted his head back slightly. “Ah, so you have different types of golems at your disposal. But… what are they animated by? Pure artifice?”

 

“In a way, yes,” Perry interjected, eager to explain. “Similar to how magical energy powers your devices like the lights and shower, our machines rely on electrical energy. They’re programmed by our own version of runes, I suppose.”

 

The archmage’s gaze deepened, a slight frown forming. “Machines… I’ve seen the wonders they achieve in your camp. It’s fascinating… and oddly familiar.”

 

“Oddly familiar?” Perry asked.

 

“The machines you describe are similar to those within the Gatebuilders’ ruins. Though, we believe them to be powered by a blend of spellwork and ‘electrical energy.’” After a contemplative pause, Kelmithus continued, “Your kin are bereft of mana. How did you activate the gateway?”

 

Perry looked to Henry, who nodded slightly. “Interestingly, we believe that we managed to activate it out of pure coincidence. One of our experiments happened to coincide with unknown energies –”

 

“Our testing!” Kelmithus realized. “Simultaneous experimentation culminating in an alignment of fate.”

 

Henry took a bite of something that tasted like chicken, listening to the exchange as he ate. The atmosphere grew warmer as the evening progressed; he could even feel himself relaxing a bit. While he focused on his food, his ears remained attuned to the conversations around him – Ron asking about the ratio of female elves in the Adventurer’s Guild, Isaac somehow joining in on that topic, and Anderson learning more about Sonaran history from Rolan. 

 

Just as the main course’s remnants were cleared, attendants brought forth the final dish of the evening. It looked remarkably like a chocolate tart, but the rich aroma wafting from it was unlike anything Henry had encountered before. In front of Kelmithus, the dessert shimmered, imbued with faint traces of mana.

 

Ron, sitting nearby, quirked an eyebrow. “Is this some sort of… mana-chocolate tart?”

 

Kelmithus grinned. “Ah, that’s a good name! It’s a blend of dark Ureth cacao and infused with a pinch of Starshade – an herb known to aid in rejuvenation and relaxation.”

 

Henry, intrigued, took a cautious bite. The familiar bitterness of cacao melded seamlessly with a calming, ethereal sensation. It tasted a bit like Hershey’s mixed with something akin to mint. “It’s extraordinary,” he murmured, savoring the taste and sensation.

 

Kelmithus chuckled. “It’s a favorite among many.”

 

As the dessert course concluded, the delegation members began to rise from their seats. A few exchanged final pleasantries with maids or newly befriended knights, while others stretched and yawned. Henry could sense the undercurrent of exhaustion, especially from his own team. It had been a long and eventful day.

 

Rolan, having observed the proceedings with quiet dignity, stepped forward. “I hope the repast found favor with your tastes. The banquet was prepared under the guidance of the esteemed Duke Vancor. While circumstance denies us his presence this eve, he has conveyed profound regret and extends his fervent wishes for a fruitful congregation on the morrow.”

 

Kelmithus rose, nodding in Rolan’s direction. “Rolan, please extend our gratitude to the Duke. Tonight’s gathering was splendid.”

 

Perry stood, extending a hand towards Kelmithus. “Thank you, Archmage, for the enlightening conversation.”

 

Kelmithus shook it. “Until the morrow.”

 

Henry stood up, sliding his chair in. Guided by the mansion staff, the delegation made their way through the corridors, the soft glow of magical lights casting elongated shadows upon the carpets beneath. Their footsteps echoed subtly, the stony walls of the mansion muting any surrounding sounds.

 

As they approached a crossroads of hallways, Ron sidled up to Henry, keeping his voice low. “Got Hayes on first watch with a couple guys from Zulu-9. We’re on a rotation. I’ll relieve him in a few.”

 

Henry gave a curt nod, his eyes occasionally darting to the windows. “Aight. Stay sharp, especially tonight.”

 

“Copy that, Captain.”

 

The group continued its journey through the mansion, the sound of hushed conversations gradually waning as they reached their respective rooms. Henry, turning the ornate handle of his chamber’s door, stepped inside, the gentle ambiance of the room like that of stepping into a hotel room after a long flight. The plush bed, with its velvety blankets and embroidered pillows, seemed all too welcoming.

 

Slipping off his uniform jacket and draping it over a chair, he took a moment, reflecting on the day’s events. They’d repelled an ambush that was possibly orchestrated by a third faction, then made landfall in a fantastical city pulled straight out of one of Ron’s animes. With the familiar weight of his sidearm on the nightstand and a pager nestled under his pillow, Henry settled into the bed. The cool fabric of the sheets seemed to draw the weariness from him. As the pull of sleep began to take hold, he took comfort in the knowledge that the men of Zulu-9 were keeping watch.

8