Ch. 8 “White Wolf” (Part 4)
167 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before Valeria headed to Oriana, she wanted to take one more look around the courtyard in hopes of finding anything related to the kidnapping. She already searched around the gardens and outer wall, but couldn’t find anything, so she didn’t have high hopes.

She went to the spot right under the Princess’ chambers, where the kidnapper jumped out of the window.

Memories from the past night flashed through her mind.

The moment she ran through the door to Oriana’s room, only to see her being taken away. The desperate chase across the courtyard and through the gardens. The sight of the intruder getting away with the Princess. The decision to reveal her true self, to save her.

She could still feel the dread when she realized that she might not make it in time.

Valeria pushed away all of the negative thoughts and started looking around, focusing on anything that seemed out of the ordinary. She traced the path across the courtyard to the gardens a few times, straining her eyes in search of a clue.

It was on the third or fourth time that she looped around the same path, when something caught her attention.
Among the bushes, peeking out from the dirt, was a small, torn piece of paper…

 

The sun was hanging low over the horizon when Valeria arrived at the Princess’ room.

Oriana was in her bed, reading, albeit, it would be more accurate to say that she was attempting to, with little to no success.

— Am I coming at a bad time? — asked Valeria, pointing at the book with her eyes.

— No. I wasn’t able to focus anyways. — Oriana put the book away, and fixed herself on the bed. It was the first time that they had an opportunity to talk since morning.

She glanced at the Commander and immediately looked away, as her mind filled with images of her from the previous night, causing her poor heart to skip a beat.

— How are you feeling?

— I’m starting to get tired of hearing this question… — Oriana sank deeper into the bed, feeling frustration boiling inside. She understood that Valeria and everyone else were worried about her, but she had enough of being treated like a fragile little child. — I’m fine. Just tired, that’s all. — she answered anyways.

The Commander nodded in acknowledgment, and began pacing around the room absentmindedly.

Oriana watched her make a couple of loops around the place, until she started worrying about Valeria’s state of mind.

— Are you okay?

— Hm? Ah, yes. I’m fine. — the Commander answered, still visibly distracted.

The Princess wasn’t convinced.

— If you’re fine, as you claim, then do you mind sitting somewhere? You’re going to walk out a path on my floor.

Being pulled out of her thoughts for good, Valeria sat at the chair next to the bed.

— I think… I found something that could be linked to what happened yesterday. — She started speaking hesitantly.

— Isn’t that a good thing? Why do you seem so dejected then? What did you find?

— It’s a piece of a leaflet, I believe. It’s too damaged to make out what place it belongs to, but I feel like I’ve seen it somewhere. Unfortunately, no matter how much I rack my brain, I can’t figure out where.

— Can I see it?

Valeria reached into her pocket, pulled out a tattered piece of paper, and handed it to Oriana.

All she needed was one glance to immediately recognize the design.

— That’s the Elite Enclave of Erudition! — the Princess exclaimed, pointing at the barely visible bits of the familiar ornaments.

The Elite Enclave of Erudition, or Elener, as how the regulars tend to call it, was the most prominent high society club in Aelius. Having its main location in Lucetta, Oriana would often go there with the King when she was younger.

It was one of the few occasions where she got to spend time with her father, so many of the details regarding the place were permanently engraved into her memory.

The leaflet and its unique ornamental design was one of those things.

Hearing the name, Valeria’s eyes widened.

— Of course! I knew I’ve seen this before! — Unlike Oriana, she went there once, maybe twice at best, so she wasn’t as familiar with the place.

— Do you think someone from the club might be behind the kidnapping?

— I’m not sure. It could be a false lead, but I think it’s worth checking it out.

— I’m coming with you.

— No, you’re not. It’s too dangerous.

Oriana puffed her cheeks.

— If it’s dangerous for me, then it’s dangerous for you too! All the more reason that you shouldn’t go alone! — The Princess folded her arms on her chest with a “humph!”.

Valeria couldn’t even get mad.
Cute…

She fought the urge to pull her cheek, and quickly collected herself to sound confident and stern.

— You’re not coming with me. End of discussion.

Noticing that Valeria had already made up her mind, Oriana slumped into the bed once again, and the room was plunged into silence.

— …About the other night. About who I am… — the Commander started after a short while — I want to make sure that you know that nobody else can find out.

The Princess gave her a side-eye.

— Of course I know that. I’m not some stupid child, like you seem to believe. I wouldn’t tell anyone. If I were, then I would’ve told mother instead of lying to her face. — Oriana felt another tinge of guilt in her heart.

The last thing that Valeria wanted, was to burden other people with her own secrets. This was one of the reasons why she was so adamant about keeping it hidden from everyone. If she had the option, she wouldn’t tell even Kyra about it.

She believed that this was her burden, and her’s alone. Nobody else should be endangered, or be forced to harm their relationships because of it.

Seeing how much just one simple lie affected Oriana convinced her even more that her belief was correct. Unfortunately, it was too late to do anything about it. And even if there was a way to turn back time and be faced with the same choice, she’d make the same one again anyways.

It came from a place of selfishness, it came from a place deep inside her heart, that couldn’t imagine her life without Oriana in it.

— I’m sorry you have to lie because of me. I wish there was a way for me to avoid burdening you. I’m sorry.

— There you go again, acting as if it’s something that I’m too weak to handle.

— I’m not saying that you’re too weak. I just know it couldn’t be easy for you, knowing how close the two of you are.

— It wasn’t easy, but it was much better than los...— Oriana bit her tongue before she could finish the sentence. — It was my own choice, and I will do it again if necessary.

I’ll lie a million times if it means keeping you safe, Stupid.

A day late, but arrived! ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

6