Chapter One Hundred and Sixty Six – Vim – Sally
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     “Vim, can I steal you for a moment?” Herra asked.

Herra was holding a pamphlet of some kind, and gesturing for me to follow her out of Gerald’s office.

“Hm.” I nodded as I stood from the couch. Gerald went back to his work as I left the office, following Herra down the hallway towards the center of the building.

As I followed Herra, I listened to the soft downpour outside. The world wasn’t that dark, but it was wet. It had been raining since right after sunrise, and would probably keep raining even days from now.

A part of me worried it meant Fly wouldn’t show up tonight, but if anything it should make it easier for her to get here without being noticed.

Following Herra, we passed the main crossroad and entered the hallway that led to the Society Houses deeper within the building.

While we walked, I realized Herra was being unnaturally quiet. She wasn’t like Reatti, but she usually did everything she could to talk and stare at me when we were near one another. Right now… she was just…

Glancing down at the bundle of papers in her hand, I realized they were letters.

Hm…

While we entered the houses, and I closed the metal door behind us, we encountered Jasna who was about to leave.

“Herra. Vim,” she greeted us as we passed one another.

“Jasna. Heading to the docks?” Herra asked.

“Going to pick up Liina. It’s her last day today you know!” Jasna happily said.

“Oh? Who’s next?” I asked.

“Not sure? I’m just glad she’s finally done!” Jasna laughed as she left.

As we headed downstairs, I wondered how long Liina had been the dock authority.

“How long has Liina been the port authority?” I asked Herra, since I wanted to know for some reason.

Herra tilted her head as we reached the bottom floor. “Hm… maybe a couple years now?” Herra said.

I see. That would explain Jasna’s frustration. The two were inseparably attached to one another. And if Liina had been the port authority that long, she was probably rather…

“Do you know who the next one is?” I asked.

“I think it’s Pierre. He likes the docks,” Herra said.

I nodded. He did. For whatever reason. So much so that he had to be forced to have someone else work it occasionally, so the humans wouldn’t notice Pierre’s lack of aging.

Entering one of the smaller rooms, one with only a few chairs and a small table… not even a fireplace, I took a seat as Herra did the same.

“Well?” I asked her.

She nodded as she placed the half dozen papers and the pamphlet onto the table in front of me.

Reaching out, I slid a few closer to read some of the contents.

Letters from her family.

I stopped reading once I realized most of the contents were personal.

“They want me to go home for awhile,” Herra said gently.

“I see. That is part of your family’s agreement, Herra. You’re to return occasionally. When was the last time?” I asked her.

“Well…” she shifted on her chair and sighed. “Almost ten years ago.”

“It’s not like your family is that far away. A few weeks is all,” I said.

In fact if she hurried she could get home in ten or so days. Especially if she used the Societies ships and used the nearby river that head south.

“My younger sister has given birth. They want me to meet my nephew,” Herra said.

Oh? I glanced at the letters again, and wondered which sister it had been. “Lerra?” I asked. She was the oldest.

Herra shook her head. “Lerra doesn’t like men, Vim. Serra married a human, remember? You were there when they met,” Herra sounded upset I forgot.

“Oh. Right…” I nodded, and did my best to not let her realize I hadn’t remembered.

She married a human? One that she met while I was present?

Surely not that little boy…

“Yes. That little boy you fished out of the sand. He’s grown up now, Vim,” Herra smirked as she read my thoughts.

“I see…” I did my best to not let her read how odd that was to me.

He likely was an adult by now… but to have married someone you had met when they were just a young boy... He hadn’t even been five or six years old if I remembered correctly, when I had saved him from the desert.

Sighing a little, I realized then what was actually wrong.

“I see…” I mumbled, as I realized why the armadillo family was requesting their eldest daughter back.

They wanted her to see her new family member, before they grew old and died.

And likely her sister too, since our female members…

“Don’t cry Vim, all you’ll do is make me angry,” Herra whispered.

I smiled at Herra’s upset face, and nodded. “Sorry. I… I should be happy for you, for them, yet…”

“That’s why I don’t want to go back, Vim.”

Taking a deep breath, I sighed as I leaned back in my chair.

I see. She doesn’t want to go back, since she too was upset.

“I understand your reasoning, Herra… but if you don’t… and in a few years… Well… you’ll regret it. The anger, the hate, the sadness you’ll experience and feel upon going now, is nothing compared to the hate and sorrow you’ll endure for hundreds of years after they’re gone,” I warned her.

Herra’s eyes squinted at me, and I noticed the layer of tears within them.

“You said the same thing my mother did…” she whispered as she stared at the letters on the table.

“She’s a wise woman. I’ve never liked negotiating with her,” I said honestly.

Herra smiled and nodded. “I enjoy listening to her debate you. I’d go back if just for that,” she said.

Shifting a little, I stared at the armadillo before me. She was a little hunched up, since she was depressed… but there was a tinge of happiness on her face. A tiny smile. Likely from something she was remembering, from the past.

“I of course cannot leave until the mess with Fly and her people has been handled. And there’s also something I need to handle for Brandy, which I’m not entirely sure yet what I need to do. However, if you’re willing to wait a little and if I can, I’ll be more than happy to escort you home Herra,” I told her.

She nodded, glad to hear it. “Thank you.”

“Will I need to drag you?” I asked her.

“You might. Thus why I asked you,” she said with a small smile.

“Been awhile since I’ve had to do that. When was the last time?” I asked her.

“Thirty or so years ago. When I had to meet my mother at Telmik.”

Ah. Right. That was when Merit had been traveling with me too.

“Plan to leave the moment we can. But I expect the issue with Fly to take some time. Maybe even months,” I told her.

She nodded. “Of that I’ve no doubt. Would you like to read the report from my mother?” Herra gestured to the letters on the table.

“Is there something in it needing my attention?” I asked. I hated reading people’s personal stuff.

“Nothing that important. Just offering it, before I give it to Gerald,” she said.

“Then it’s fine. What’s the name of your new family member, by the way?” I asked, as she reached out to gather up the letters.

Herra hesitated a moment, then smiled. “They named him Arm. I guess he’s a stocky boy,” she said.

“Oh? What’s this? Renn will get jealous you know,” Merit entered the small room, smirking as she did so.

“Let her!” Herra huffed defiantly as she gathered up her letters.

Merit chuckled as she walked up to our table. She was too short to see upon it of course, yet she still tried to stand on the tip of her toes to see what Herra was gathering up. “Letters?” Merit asked.

“From my family,” Herra said.

“Ah… figured. Smells like sand. I hate that place,” Merit grumbled.

“I’ve always enjoyed the desert,” I said.

“You would! You fit right in amongst that barren wasteland,” Merit said, crossing her arms and nodding.

“I hate the desert,” Herra groaned.

“You hate going home. That’s not the same,” I said.

“Well… That’s true…” Herra mumbled as she admitted it.

“Don’t be afraid to proclaim your hate proudly, Herra! I support you!” Merit happily cheered her on.

“Right!” Herra nodded confidently.

Standing from the table, I stepped away as Herra and Merit went to talking about their shared hatred of the desert, and its inhabitants.

Leaving the small room, I paused upon finding Tosh. He was leaning up against the wall, and smiling at me.

Although his smirk was mischievous, which meant he was probably thinking something rude… I couldn’t help but smile back at my friend.

It was good to see emotions upon him.

“Feeling alright Tosh?” I asked as I approached.

Had he been with Merit? They must have been walking together. Yet he hadn’t entered afterward…

Maybe because of Herra, and the conversation we had been having. Tosh was gentle like that.

Tosh stepped away from the wall, and took his place at my side as we walked down the hall. I had no real destination in mind, so I figured I’d just walk until a purpose for myself presented itself.

“I’ve been fine. Honestly, they won’t let me work so I’ve been getting bored,” Tosh said.

“Hm… Don’t grow upset with them, they’re just worried for you,” I said.

“You’re the one who said I should put my mind and body to work, when I got hurt that one time. Why not this time?” he asked.

“I believe you should. But I’m not the law here, Tosh. They are. Or well, you are too… I guess…” I said.

He chuckled as he nodded.

As he did I studied his frame. He was definitely thinner than I remembered him. And not just by a small amount either.

Yes. Just like Nebl. Although Tosh’s body itself wasn’t… as bad as Nebl’s in terms of degradation… In a way Tosh’s issue was more serious.

His mind had been broken. His soul.

That was not something one fixed easily.

“Just give it time Tosh. I’m sure they’ll let you work soon, as long as you rest properly,” I said.

He sighed and nodded. “Your little bird friend should be showing up soon, I bet. It’s getting very dark,” Tosh said as we rounded a corner.

“Hm… Hopefully it won’t be much longer. I have things I need to do, and it’s time I moved on,” I said.

“Think she’ll actually join?” Tosh asked.

I nodded as I thought of her expression last night.

There was little doubt she’d ask to join soon, based off the way she had nearly wept at my words… but the issue was if she could do it before she got hurt or eaten by her fellows.

The worst part was I couldn’t actually force it. I couldn’t do what was needed to ensure she remained safe until she made the decision.

Not unless her master, or the rest of them, decided to attack us themselves at least.

“You’ve always been odd about your rules, Vim,” Tosh said gently.

“I have to be, Tosh… otherwise I’d be just as much a tyrant as her master,” I said.

“I wasn’t complaining… just stating a fact,” he said.

Patting Tosh on the back, I nodded. I knew he had not said such a thing with any ill will.

“Actually… while I got a moment with you, alone, can I ask a question?” Tosh asked.

I paused, to let him nod and lower his voice a little.

“Where’s Sally, Vim?” Tosh asked quietly.

Ah…

A long moment passed as my friend studied me… and then begun to worry upon seeing my thoughts on my face.

“Sally is dead, Tosh,” I answered him honestly.

Tosh at first must not have registered what I said, for he started to smirk… to say a joke, about the woman he considered a sister, but then stopped.

I nodded, gently. “She died not too long ago. She gave her life for the Society. For its members. She… she died proudly,” I said.

My friend’s eyes wavered, and it took everything I had to stand firm.

Please. Please don’t let this break him again.

It could. So easily.

To be told of the death of Sally. The woman who although wasn’t related to him by blood, was at least someone he considered family.

A sister. A friend.

It could break him easily. It broke so many others, so easily... and Tosh was far from firm right now. Far from strong.

Yet I had to answer.

I had to.

Since I knew no one else would.

That was undoubtedly why he had asked. He had probably been looking for her, and no one would tell him.

I couldn’t blame anyone for keeping it a secret, out of fear of letting him return to his mind broken state… but…

I nodded again. “Sally is gone. As are many others, Tosh. You’ve… been absent, a long time,” I said.

“Uh…” Tosh shifted, and then my friend lost his ability to stay standing upright. I kept myself from catching him, since there was no point.

He fell to the ground, landing on his rear. He fell backward in a way that resulted in him sitting up against the wall… slumping and with his mouth agape.

Taking a small, steady, breath… I too stepped over to the wall and slid down, as to sit next to my friend whose heart just broke.

“Dead…?” Tosh whispered.

“Dead. She’s buried at the Bell Church’s cemetery.”

Tosh groaned, and curled up a little. My friend begun to cry as he covered his face with his hands. He was trying to keep himself together… and failing. Miserably.

“She married a human. A man named Monroe,” I said.

“Huh…” He took a deep breath, and then looked up. At me. “I know him.”

I nodded. “You probably remember him. Even if you were broken most of the time, he actually… just recently passed away,” I said.

What timing. To think the poor man could have met Monroe, and actually spoken with him about Sally… just a few days ago.

Was that possibly what had brought Tosh out of his mind?

Maybe he had connected it somehow. Mindlessly realizing it… maybe…

“Please tell me this is all a dream, Vim,” Tosh begged me.

“A nightmare, if it was,” I said. At least for him.

Yet…

Glancing at my friend, and his tear stained face, I watched him sob.

Moments like this were nightmares for me too.

Yet, again, I must endure them.

Reaching over, I grabbed my friend by the shoulder. His thin body felt weak, and cold.

I firmly held on, as he trembled and cried.

“Sally…” he wept.

0