Chapter One Hundred and Sixty Nine – Renn – To Sit Out
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          Handing Vim the towel, I wondered if maybe he had swam in the ocean or something. Not only had his clothes been heavily soaked… I could just faintly smell the sea from them. Which was weird. He usually didn’t smell at all, but maybe it took time for new scents upon him to disappear.

If so, how long did it take? Minutes? Hours? Definitely not days…

Though maybe the reason I could smell the sea from them was because they were no longer on his person. They were now piled up in the corner, near the basket where dirty clothes usually went. Maybe he had simply taken them off in time.

“Was it one of the ones who came before?” Merit asked.

Vim shook his head as he covered it with the towel I had just given him. He scrubbed his hair dry, and I used the moment to glance down at his mostly naked body.

He looked fine. Unhurt. He was still wearing underwear, which was loose and baggy, but most of his body was visible. He didn’t look injured at all.

“No… He had scales, and inhuman teeth but I didn’t really spend long talking to him,” Vim said.

“Hm… Fly definitely doesn’t eat people. I wonder if that’s one of the reasons she lives away from the rest of them,” Merit said.

“Is it that easy to tell? When someone eats our own kind?” I asked.

Vim stopped drying his hair and rested the towel on his neck and shoulders. “It is. But it’s not something that happens instantly. It takes… well… a few years probably, usually,” Vim said.

Merit nodded. “I’ve eaten our kind before, Renn. But I’ve done so only a few times, and spread out over hundreds of years,” she said softly.

I wasn’t sure what to say to that, or the strange look of pain on her face.

No. That wasn’t pain.

That was shame.

“Does… is it the number then? Or the frequency?” I asked, doing my best to not judge her too harshly. Especially since I could to a certain degree understand how it could, and probably did, happen.

“It’s different for everyone. Predators succumb faster, surprisingly. Or maybe not, if you think about it,” Vim said.

Oh? “We do?” I asked.

He nodded as he stood from the bench, I stepped back to let him… even though he wasn’t entirely naked it was still a little odd to be so close to him when he looked it.

I stood near Merit as we watched Vim head to the small shelf that had new clothes for him. We were in a small shower room, near the depot. A place not really used by our kind, but it was late enough that no one else was nearby. And Vim and Merit strangely enough hadn’t wanted anyone else to bother them during this conversation just yet.

I’d find it concerning, if not for the fact that Brandy had came to see Vim when he got back and heard the story. She left a little after he had gotten into the shower to clean himself.

They weren’t trying to keep it a secret… they just didn’t want others to grow concerned or worried just yet.

“It’s disappointing to hear, but it was expected Renn,” Merit said. Glancing down at her as Vim got dressed, she nodded at me. “Most of our kind are like that. Lost to themselves. Either stuck in their archaic ways… or too stupid to live any other way. I expect only a few to join our society alongside Fly. And those who do will likely be women and children,” Merit added.

“The man made it very clear he saw her as a possession. Typical for predators,” Vim said.

Although disappointing, I knew they were right. After all, my own family had been the same way. My brothers…

“Will… since you killed that man, will that cause issues? For Fly?” I asked.

“If they’re even able to prove he’s dead, and that it was me… it might,” Vim admitted as he put on the last piece of clothes I had gotten for him, loose pants.

I hadn’t gotten him any shoes or socks, since I hadn’t known where to get them. In fact the shirt and pants he was wearing now were just the typical worker clothes we used here in the Society. Nothing fancy… although it was a little neat to know that I was able to eyeball what would fit him comfortably and what wouldn’t.

“Pants are a little loose,” I said as I studied the way they shifted as he headed for the shower’s exit.

Merit and I followed him, but had to pause since he did too. “Hm…” he nodded as he checked them, but didn’t seem to mind.

“Was he strong Vim?” Merit asked after we returned to leaving the showers.

“The man…? Hm… he survived a blow to the chest… but he went inert when his head hit the street stones from the fall. He survived a broken neck, but even if I hadn’t finished him off he likely would have succumbed to the damage later,” Vim said.

“Inert?” I asked about the word I didn’t really understand.

“Likely limp. Or wasn’t able to move. Probably a severe concussion if he hit his head,” Merit explained.

Ah. That made sense.

“He uses odd words sometimes,” I said.

Merit was focused elsewhere so only absentmindedly nodded at me before asking her next question. “Was he older?”

“Old enough… A grown man, in appearance at least,” Vim said.

“And he really threatened to hurt Fly?” I asked again.

We rounded a corner, and headed into one of the main hallways. Leading back to the center of the building. “He did. In a way only male predators do, too,” Vim said.

“Typical,” Merit mumbled.

Was it? My brothers had been that way too, but…

I wanted to groan, since they really had been. They had been just as, if not worse and…

“Renn?” Merit got my attention, and I realized we were standing before a stairwell. Merit and Vim were about half way up, and staring down at me.

Woops.

“Sorry,” I hurried to follow them, and did my best to toss aside any thoughts about my family. I’ve been thinking about them a lot lately, and it was really upsetting.

Merit studied me with a worried look, but Vim turned to continue forward. He was probably used to me doing that by now.

“Most of our kind died by the hands of such men, Renn. Either eaten, or abused to death thanks to their brutality. Don’t doubt Vim’s assessment of the man. He’s one of a handful in all of history who has dealt with as many as he has,” Merit said as she went to climbing the stairs next to me.

I did my best to nod and smile to Merit, who was obviously trying to comfort me. She was worried I was upset.

But why would I be? I knew Vim was…

Well…

Glancing at the Societies Protector, I knew without being told that Vim didn’t hesitate. I had been told of it. I had seen it. I knew of it.

I was being taught to replicate it.

You eliminate any and all threats to the Society. As fast as possible. Without hesitation.

Even if you would find yourself doubting your choices and actions later. You simply did what you must.

“Vim’s also underselling the insanity, Renn. I’m rather surprised you’ve never encountered it. Though maybe that’s thanks to the last wars,” Merit said.

“It’s the humans, Merit. They’ve also gotten better at killing monsters,” Vim said as we reached the second floor.

Merit hesitated, which made me pause too. Was she okay?

The small white haired girl glared at Vim… she was almost snarling at him. “And who taught them that I wonder?” she said.

My heart thumped, and I turned quickly… to find that Vim had stopped walking.

He was facing away from us still, since we had been following him… and although dressed in the Animalia clothing, he looked suddenly out of place.

An uneasy silence filled the hallway, and I shifted to study Merit. Unluckily I was wearing my hat, since even though it was late there were still humans here. The night guards especially, even though I hadn’t seen one for awhile. I’d have liked to hear her heartbeat, she looked upset… so it was probably beating quickly.

“Merit…?” I did my best to calmly speak, since the silence had continued to harden.

She ignored me for a moment, and then blinked and turned to look at me. Her expression softened quite a bit, and then she smiled. “Sorry… Just a small issue between us. Come, come,” Merit extended her hand, and although I took it… I was a little unsure of what to say or think about it.

Vim returned to walking, seemingly willing to act as if Merit had never said anything.

Was that one of the reason Merit didn’t like Vim? Had he taught humans how to kill our own kind?

Honestly I wasn’t sure if it was really needed. After all, although stronger than humans… most of us weren’t so by much. Like Fly. She was as weak as a normal human girl.

Plus to be honest, all our strength means nothing if we had to face enough humans at once.

But…

Walking hand and hand with Merit, I thought of those wolves Vim and I had met before. Those Vim called ancestors. Monarchs.

Those used to be what most of our kind were like. My own grandparents had been more beast than man.

Maybe it was those she was speaking of.

“Don’t fret too much about it, Renn. I can hate him, but still respect him. Plus it won’t stop me from loving you, no matter how close you get to him,” Merit said to me.

Slowing our pace, I stared down at the worried Merit. She was…

“It’s okay, Merit. I’m just… learning. I feel like there’s so much I don’t know,” I said.

“Hear that Vim? She might come to hate you if she learns enough,” Merit said, raising her voice.

Vim nodded, but kept his back to us. “I warned her about that,” he said.

“He did…” I grumbled.

Merit chuckled, and leaned closer to me as she wrapped her arms around my own. “That’s a relationship for you. To love someone even when you hate certain parts about them. I think it’d be weird if you didn’t have a few things you didn’t like about one another, in my opinion,” Merit said.

“That’s lovely, Merit,” I said.

She shrugged, but looked away to hide the happy smile my words gave her.

Reaching the Societies Housing door, Vim opened it and held it open to let us in first.

We walked through the door, and Merit glared mischievously up at Vim as we did so. “Jealous?” she asked.

“Hmph,” Vim smirked at us, which made me blush a little. Merit laughed as Vim closed the door behind us.

Before I could say anything, Merit released my arm and hand and stepped away quickly. “I’ll go join Brandy. They’re probably holding a meeting still, by the sounds of it,” Merit said as she tapped her foot on the floor… as if to gesture to the floors beneath us.

Were they? I reached up to take my hat off, as to try and hear better.

“That’s where we’re headed, Merit,” Vim said as he stepped up next to me.

“No it isn’t,” Merit said simply.

“It isn’t?” I asked. What does she mean?

“You’re going to sit this one out, Vim,” Merit said gently.

“I am?” Vim asked.

She nodded. “For now.”

Glancing at Vim, and the slight frown on his face… I realized he too wasn’t sure why Merit was saying this.

With my hat off I could hear them now. I couldn’t hear what was being said, but odds were the entire society was below.

“What is it Merit?” Vim asked her.

Merit’s smile softened, and she nodded. “You never smell of death, Vim. Even if you wade in blood, as I’ve seen you do, the stench of it never clings to you. Yet…” Merit’s voice softened as she spoke and she began to talk softer and softer, until she stopped speaking entirely.

“Ah…” I realized what she meant as Vim sighed.

“Fine. I’ll pick a room nearby and wait for the verdict,” Vim said.

Glancing at Vim, I was a little surprised to see he was annoyed but not upset or sad. Maybe he was just used to it.

“Thank you Vim,” Merit said gently. Based off her tone and the expression on her face, you wouldn’t think she had just snarled at him a few moments ago. She looked like she loved him, right now and here.

Vim nodded and stepped forward, walking past Merit as to head for the stairs. Likely to go and do exactly what he said he’d do. Sit and wait, alone, until the Society made a decision.

Which could take some time. Most of the voting I’d seen so far has taken hours occasionally.

Merit watched him walk away, heading down the hallway towards the stairwell in sight. “Why don’t you go sit with him, Renn?” Merit asked me.

“Don’t I get a vote too?” I asked.

“You do… You do… But you want to become like him, right?” she asked.

I nodded.

“Then one day you won’t get one. I hadn’t said anything until now, but…” Merit shifted, and I could tell she was worried. Worried maybe that she had said the wrong thing, at the wrong time.

“I see. I hadn’t thought of it that way… But you’re right,” I said. She was after all.

I wanted to be like Vim. I wanted to stay with him.

That meant, eventually…

Or well, maybe even now.

“For reference, how would you vote if it came to it?” Merit asked.

“I’m assuming you mean if we should let Vim finish the job?” I asked.

She smirked as she nodded. “Basically. Fly’s invitation has already been accepted and acknowledged. By all counts she’s basically a member already. So the only things to vote on now, is to either let Vim go slay the rest of those unfit for our Society, or to bound his claws and let fate play its course,” Merit said.

“I’d rather save Fly and the rest as fast as possible. I’d likely vote to let Vim do what he must, in this case… but I’d probably ask for some kind of assurance. Maybe have you and I go with him, to make sure nothing drastic happens,” I said.

Vim disappeared into the stairwell as we talked.

“You’re a gentle one, Renn… But it’s probably a mute point. They’ll not vote on such a thing just yet. For now they’ll just likely vote on securing the building, and being on alert like last time,” Merit said with a sigh.

“Would Vim’s presence right now really cause that much grief, Merit?” I asked her.

Merit hesitated a moment, and then nodded. “It would, Renn. I myself don’t disagree with Vim’s actions, nor would I stop him from doing it again. I know full well the depravity and ruthlessness of our kind, when they get like that. I personally don’t believe in any kind of mercy for those individuals. However… many of our members here right now are younger. They don’t remember the wars. They weren’t involved in them. They’ll want to offer mercy, first. They won’t understand. So Vim’s quick judgment will be seen as something negative. It will scare a few. Worry others. And his presence, especially while he sits in the room next to them, as they debate and talk about it could cause… unease. It might also even sway opinions. Since some will not speak out, worried that their words and concerns would anger him,” Merit explained.

“Ah…” I nodded. I had actually kind of noticed that before. Some of the meetings last time, like the one after Vim had killed Pulti. There were a few members who had… been oddly silent. Yet their faces and eyes had been alight with emotions.

Had they been silent out of fear or worry for Vim?

“You don’t have to go sit with him, Renn. I was just…” Merit shrugged, and looked down at our feet. The way she shyly smiled made her look even younger, somehow.

“Hm…” Was she worried for Vim, maybe?

When he had found out that he had killed Pulti… he had grown a little sullen. He had regretted his actions.

It was why he had been weak enough to get in the bath with me.

Yet… He didn’t look like that now. Merit’s words had bothered him, but not his actions earlier. While explaining the situation, and telling us about the man he had killed and tossed into the sea…

He hadn’t been bothered at all.

In Vim’s perspective, his actions had been entirely justifiable. They had been just. Right. The only choice.

“I’ll sit with him… but I’ll probably come check on you guys after a bit, if that’s okay. I won’t vote, Merit, but I honestly like hearing everyone debate and talk to one another during these moments. Some of you have very… interesting perspectives,” I said.

“Interesting? Really Renn? You’re a strange one,” Merit said with a smile as she nodded.

“What? You do. Some of you are a lot older; others wiser… and some have outlooks far different than mine. It’s neat to hear the different beliefs,” I said as we both began heading towards the stairs.

“Neat,” Merit huffed at the word and obviously didn’t agree.

Smiling down at my friend, I wondered if she realized I found her one of the oddest.

She was… quick to decisions, like Vim. And although I wasn’t entirely sure if she was a predator or not yet, she had the mindset of one. She was quick to vote for violence, or harsh decisions. Yet at the same time, she obviously had great… sorrow within her. Regrets, shame, worry.

Merit was a bundle of complex emotions, which made her so fascinating.

As we headed downstairs, the sound of everyone talking with one another became louder and louder. Right now Reatti was the loudest, trying to argue something someone said earlier.

Reaching the bottom floor, I was about to say something to Merit before we parted ways… but I wasn’t able as I came to a stop, and stared into one of the smaller rooms. One with only a few tables and chairs.

Vim was sitting with Lamp.

“Oh? Now that’s a wonderful expression Renn,” Merit whispered.

Vim turned to glance at me, but I turned away to look at Merit before he could see whatever was on my face.

“Was it that bad?” I asked Merit worriedly.

“Not really. You were just shocked. Worried she’ll steal him from you?” Merit teased me.

“Shush…” I didn’t want to say yes.

Merit giggled, and then waved into the room at Vim and Lamp. “Alright, have fun. I surely won’t be…” Merit said as she sighed and headed down the hall, to the loud room.

Sighing I entered the room to join Vim and Lamp. As I did Lamp’s face exploded into a huge smile, she nearly jumped out of her chair to give me a hug.

Accepting the woman’s hug, I shyly smiled at Vim as he studied me with a smile of his own.

This was why I’m worried, Merit.

I loved Lamp. Yet I loved Vim too.

Which was why I could understand the two of them loving each other as well… since after all, I did.

“Hey Lamp,” I greeted her as we separated, and she smirked at me and said something in her language.

“She asked if you’ve eaten yet. That’s what she’s doing, having breakfast,” Vim said as he gestured to the table. Sure enough there were a few plates before her.

“I haven’t… Is it that early already?” I asked. Breakfast? Really?

“Yes. It is. Sit with her, I’ll go get you some food,” Vim stood from the table, and I grumbled as Lamp pulled me towards it.

Passing Vim as he left the room, I sat next to Lamp at the table. She seemed to be eating some kind of bread toast with eggs.

Lamp said something to me as she picked up her fork as to go back to eating.

I nodded at her as Lamp continued to talk to me, even though I didn’t understand a word… I knew she was likely just telling me about her day, or maybe teasing me about Vim.

It was interesting that Vim would choose to sit with her, though maybe not… He might have thought I would have gone with Merit to the meeting, so chose to sit with her as to not be bored.

Though… she was a full-fledged member now. So it wasn’t too surprising that Vim would be kind to her.

Smiling at the scarred woman as she spoke between bites, I waited for my own food… and for Vim to return.

 

0