Chapter One Hundred and Seventy Two – Vim – Brandy’s Request
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     The captain’s office had finally become his own.

Glancing around the small room, made smaller by all the furniture packed in here, I looked for any hint of Hector.

His colors were gone. The rugs, the tarp on the center table and the even the blinds were now blue and white. Matching the Animalia Company colors. Same as the sails and flags outside. Hector’s furniture had been replaced. There was more in here now, and most seemed more modern. His smell was gone, replaced by some kind of burning incense. An unlit bowl of ashes was on the desk, but I knew it’d still be warm. It had been lit a little before I had arrived.

Glancing up at the ceiling, right above the desk, I tried to find the nicks in the wood. From when Hector had tried to nail some rope to the ceiling.

They were gone. Repaired. Though it looked like most of the ceiling had been redone. Maybe it had started to leak.

Hector was gone. All trace of him missing.

Not really a surprise… Hector had been gone for years. Yet…

“Here you go,” Kevin huffed as he stood up, lifting a small black wooden box. The little latch clanked as he put it down onto the desk in front of me.

“This is it?” I asked as I stepped closer as to open the little wooden box.

Rather, chest. It opened silently, which was surprising since the latch was squeaky.

Inside were books. Small dark colored ones. Five of them.

“That’s all I was given,” Kevin said with a nod.

I sighed as I closed the lid. So much fuss over a few little books.

Kevin chuckled as he sat down in his captain’s chair. His wasn’t as big as Hector’s had been, but it looked far more comfortable. “Brandy’s always scheming. I suggest you put her in her place. Though please do it after I set sail again, she becomes very demanding whenever you discipline her,” Kevin said.

“I don’t discipline,” I said.

Kevin smirked and nodded. “True.”

Deciding to change topics, I glanced around his office again. Why was it so clean? So fresh? Ships weren’t supposed to be this clean it was unnatural.

“How’s the ship?” I asked him.

Kevin shrugged. “Fine. We spent an extra week in Briggs a few moons ago, cleaning and fixing a few things. Nothing too serious. We’ll need new sails soon, but I think I can wait until next season,” Kevin said.

“Do it now. Get the hull checked too, it’s swaying a little heavily to the port,” I said as my eyes lingered on one of the shelves nearby. It was full, but not of books. It had chests and boxes lining its shelves.

“Is it…?” Kevin sounded like he believed me, but was unsure of how I could tell. I ignored his odd look as I stepped over to the shelf I was studying.

On the shelves, little wooden nubs had been installed on the lips. To stop the boxes and chests from sliding off the shelves. They held everything in place firmly… and were…

“Who made this?” I asked.

“One of my crew. His names Hobbs. An older fellow now… probably not too many seasons away from retirement, based off his recent slowness,” Kevin said.

“He’s good,” I complimented the man’s work. It was good. Seamless.

“It’s held up well, yes. It’s been… well almost five years since I replaced the shelves I think,” Kevin spoke lightly, and I knew it was because he wasn’t sure what to think of our conversation.

He like most of our members… mistakenly thought I was something special.

Kevin likely thought I was trying to hint at something, or was searching for something with my questions.

But the truth was far simpler.

I was honestly impressed with the man’s work. It was such a simple thing, to make a shelf… but one could always tell a true craftsman’s work from an amateurs.

Ignoring Kevin’s odd look, I stepped away from the shelf and went back to his desk.

“How’s the trading been going?” I asked.

“Smooth. Always busy. It’s rare our cargo isn’t loaded to the brim anymore. Though lately I’ve noticed a large uptick in weapons. The south’s war must be going badly if they’re buying so much iron from the north,” Kevin said.

“You’ve been transporting weapons?” I asked.

He shrugged. “A few times in the last couple months. Not directly though. We’ve stocked the weapons only when we need something to fill the empty space after a delivery, and it’s just what pays the best,” Kevin said.

Ah. So a carryover. That was a little relieving to hear. I knew Brandy was… expanding rather intensely, but it would have been surprising for such a religious woman to actively participate in warfare.

Though war was profitable. Vastly so. So maybe I couldn’t blame her even if they got involved in it.

“Any news of a plague?” I asked.

Kevin tilted his head and frowned. “Actually yes. Three ports ago, at Pripo. We hadn’t been allowed to disembark. The church has quarantined the whole town.”

“Really…?” That was very surprising. Not just the fact that an entire town needed to be quarantined, but that the church actually did such a thing.

It must be quite bad for even this era’s religious sect to rely on science over their faith.

“Was a pain. The let us unload, and we loaded from another ship that hadn’t come in contact. Like us they weren’t allowed into town. The Phemas, they headed east. Usually they deal in slaves, so I was surprised at first but her captain said slaves right now aren’t profitable thank to the disease. No one is willing to buy them, if they’re sick I guess. We got a load of spices from them, it’s what we’re unloading now,” Kevin said.

“Makes sense,” I said.

Between the church locking down ports, and slave traders choosing to partake in normal goods instead of their preferred one is very telling indeed.

Maybe I should have the whole of the society go to secluded villages, like Tor’s. Most of our people would, and could, suffer disease just as easily as the humans.

“Should we be worried Vim?” Kevin asked.

“Not sure yet. I suggest staying on this side of the sea, for now, in case you get new orders soon,” I said.

He nodded. “Brandy wants me to ferry goods between our warehouses here and the north for a few moons so all is well on that front.”

We have warehouses in the north?

I decided not to ask that question aloud. Not just because I wasn’t in the mood to interrogate Kevin, but also because I didn’t want to torture him that way. If he found out I hadn’t known about such warehouses, he’d feel responsible. All my questioning would accomplish, would make him very self conscious. To the point he might even quit his position in shame.

Kevin was a weak willed man when it came to scrutiny. A bad trait for a sailor, honestly.

Yet he’s done well since taking over Hector’s position. I shouldn’t think badly of him.

Glancing to the wall, near the only window, I studied the sea chart upon it. It was newer, and had lots of little notes scribbled upon it. Kevin’s handwriting.

Stepping over to it, I studied the details upon it. I memorized the new ports, and remembered the ones familiar to me.

The inland sea had become more crowded it seemed. There were new sea routes, and there were a few notes detailing how busy some were. Large ports were appearing where large rivers were, connecting this sea and the nations landlocked around it.

“Vim?” Kevin must have grown uneasy since the silence had grown heavy. I nodded absentmindedly as I remembered sailing not too long ago. When I had brought in that ship, with the eastern women.

Although that storm, the eastern women, and the chaos had been… annoying… The memory was somehow a fond one. Especially when I had been sailing alone in the storm.

“Have you met Ronalldo yet?” I asked him.

“The young lad? Yes. A good man. He and I will be sailing together soon,” Kevin said.

“Side by side?” I asked.

He nodded. “Should we not? He knows this sea, and was obviously born to sail… but I’m to teach him our ways, I’ve been told…” Kevin spoke without surety; he was now doubting his orders and plans.

“Teach him well,” I said.

“Aye sir,” Kevin nodded, sounding more sure of himself.

Looking back at the sea chart, I sighed.

Kevin stood from his chair, slowly. I could hear the worry as he did so. He stood without a purpose, and shifted on his heels upon standing.

What did he see before him? A man who was lost? Upset? Annoyed?

Probably all of that and more.

And Fly and the issues around her aren’t the only sources of discomfort for that man either.

“I’ve found myself longing for the sea,” I told Kevin honestly.

“Oh…? Honestly I had not thought you heard the call… I’m surprised.” Kevin said softly, as if afraid to say anything at all.

I nodded. “Don’t be. I grew up on the ocean. A vibrant, yet unforgiving sea…” I said as my childhood played itself out in my mind.

A simpler time.

One not without worries… and honestly, it had not been pleasant. Full of strife. Heartache.

Hunger.

Yet…

Lately I’ve been longing for those times, haven’t I?

I blinked away the memories, and wondered why I could hear the gulls and sailors so clearly. Why was it so quiet in here?

Glancing away from the sea chart, to Kevin… I found the man staring at me with an agape mouth.

He looked…

“Kevin?” I worried for the man, who looked as if he had seen something terrifying.

Kevin blinked, and with a small shiver as if from the cold of the sea… he shook his head.

“You okay?” I asked.

He nodded, and then coughed. “Yes. I uh… you’ve never spoken of your past, Vim. At least… never with me. I’m just… humbled. Thank you,” Kevin gave me a strange smile. One that brought forth memories, yet different ones.

That was the same smile he had worn upon being given command of this ship.

A proud one.

Unsure of what to say to the man who looked as if I had just given him a mighty gift, I chose to instead look away.

Taking a small breath, I realized that I had just revealed something to him. Which meant I’d just revealed something to the whole Society.

But…

Did it matter?

Who cared if they knew I longed for the sea?

Why did it matter if they knew of my childhood? Or where I was born?

But no…

Such things were kept secret for a reason.

“Maybe I’m just bored,” I said gently, for his sake.

Kevin chuckled. “Ah, but the sea is a cruel mistress. She lulls one into boredom, only to sink the ship while you’re not looking!”

I nodded. That did happen.

“The sea has always been good to me. If she’s a cruel mistress, I wonder what I should be calling those I find on land?” I said.

Kevin’s chuckle turned into a hearty laugh, one that was a little loud in this small room. “Now you really do sound like a sailor, Vim!” he said happily.

Smiling at his amused laughter, I did my best to not think of Hector.

He had been a real sailor. One who had been stalwart and true. A man who didn’t just belong on the sea, but claimed it.

Did I miss him, or the ability to talk openly and truly with him? Maybe I didn’t miss the man, but simply the ability to talk honestly with someone.

It was starting to become rather obvious that all of those who I used to see as friends were gone. Or fading, like Nebl was.

Maybe that was why I liked Renn so much, or at least felt like I did. Even though she didn’t know the real me, she also didn’t know the secretive me either.

I was a little more open with her than the rest of the Society.

It was more than that though, wasn’t it? After all there were many in the Society who I talked to openly. Or at least, a little more than I did those like Kevin.

And it wasn’t like I truly talked openly with Renn. I kept a lot from her… most for her own sake. Yet…

About to open my mouth, I was about to bring something up with Kevin. To test him, in a way. To see if he’d talk to me as Renn did.

Yet fate didn’t let me.

A heavy knock on the door kept my mouth shut, and I watched as Kevin stepped around his desk. He grumbled under his breath some obscenities, telling me he knew who was knocking and why… yet was not looking forward to opening the door.

Kevin opened the door, and I listened as the sailor gave a report. One telling Kevin that most of the unloading was done, and they needed their captain to come check the hold. For permission and to sign the port authority permit.

Meaning it was time I stopped bothering him. Kevin, like most of those in the Society… would neglect their duties if I bothered them too much.

“I’ll relieve you of this burden, then, Kevin,” I said as I went to the desk.

Kevin looked hurt, upset that I had so willingly ended our conversation. I knew why, of course. It wasn’t because he wanted to get out of working… but simply because he and I only met once every so many years. And our meetings were always short. Simple. Like this one.

“Come have dinner with us, before you set sail,” I said as I picked up the little chest.

Kevin happily accepted the lifeline I had offered him, and he nodded quickly. “Aye sir!”

With the small chest under my arm, I nodded back and stepped around him. To head out of his office.

Pausing before I did so, I once again noticed the way the ship listed. The hold was mostly empty, per that sailors report… yet it was still favoring the port side a little too much. Especially so with it being docked and the sea being calm.

“Be mindful when you load. The bowing is from uneven loads,” I warned him.

“Ah… Yes sir,” Kevin nodded, and I was able to see the realization dawn upon him. Kevin very likely was right now thinking of several trips and loads, ones that were likely rushed or improperly loaded and he had known about it.

“It’s nothing that can’t be addressed. Just be mindful. May the seas be gentle with you, Kevin. I’ll see you again,” I said as I stepped out of the room, heading off the ship.

Carrying Brandy’s request off the ship and into the port of Lumen, I headed for the company building.

“Safe sails, Vim! For the Society!” Kevin raised his voice, finally sounding like a sailor should.

Loud and proud.

0