Episode 23
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I ask you again! How do you know that name?" Mukasa shouts at the top of her lungs.

"She…,” My voice trembles, “She gave her life to save me."

"You must be lying!"

"He's telling the truth," Aleifr interrupts. "She sacrificed herself to save this boy. I made sure to confirm it, " Aleifr looks directly at Mukasa.

Mukasa looks towards the ground. Her eyes tremble and start to fill with tears. “Is she dead?”

Her feelings resonate with mine, and I am reminded of when the Knights told me Liliah was dead. I didn't want to believe it. I was prepared to fight and kill everyone to make it not real. To make it just a lie.

"I know how painful it was for you. All these ten years you have been searching for the one responsible for the massacre of your clan. The one that took your family apart. Hiding the pain of not knowing if your father and mother were alive. But then when you find the culprit, you only find that the responsible was your father. You felt betrayed. if you just abandoned your anger, all these years would have been for nothing.”

Her eyes sharpen, and she approaches me, pushing me against the wall. I sharpen my gaze and look determinedly into Mukasa's red eyes.

“But don't you remember what was the last thing she told you? She told you to never lose your smile!”

Her brows relax and her lips begin to tremble. She lunges her fist toward me but unleashes her rage on the wall beside me. She lets me go, and with teary eyes leaves the room.

 After I recover I glance towards Aleifr, who tenses his face looking at the ground.

"I know it must be difficult to face those you've hurt. But it's the least you can do. I intend to live to make up for what I did. I'll take guilt but won't let it drown me to the point where I do nothing to make amends. To do what is right this time."

Feelings begin to overwhelm me, so I hurry and leave the room.

I spend the day contemplating the view of the cave from the Lobos cliff. They gave me Aurora's room, but I'm unable to take a step inside. Emru's last words echo in my mind as I gaze upon the city under the fading light of Sinabarite.

I have decided to help the people of this cave. But I wonder if I will truly be able to accomplish it. If I am doing this for the right reasons. I feel like I am just making myself feel better. I wonder what my brother would have say in that situation to Mukasa. I feel like I was just being arrogant. These are the last thoughts that assail me before I am just to tired and surrender to sleep.

The voice and sound of panting wake me up. When I open my eyes fully, I realize Ragnar is doing push-ups at the edge of the cliff.

"Good morning, chief! It's an excellent place to train, isn't it?"

I laugh “It surely seems like it” 

I stand up, but then a giant white wolf pounces on me. I brace for the worst, but I feel it licking my face and starting to make me tingle and laugh.

"It seems Lobo likes you."

I recognize the voice as Hoomul's, the red giant.

Hoomul approaches and pushes the wolf away from me. I laugh seeing that the wolf seems normal-sized next to him.

"Of course he likes you. You're the future of the red wolves," says Amator, who approaches us with a smile.

"What are you doing here?"

"Aleifr told us you would be our companion on our epic adventure to the great plateau of the giants."

"The great plateau?"

" Yes, where the Shmool clan lives. We'll escort you, and it will be your mission to convince them to join us. But knowing them, that'll be pretty close to impossible."

"I'll go with you!" Ragnar interrupts and puts his hands on his hips triumphantly.

"Oh?" Amator says with a smile, looking at Ragnar's scars.

Hoomul bursts into laughter.

"Are you out of your mind, boy? You wouldn't last for a second if one of them decided to pat you on the back."

Ragnar's smile wavers slightly.

" If you're so sure, I challenge you to a duel. I bet I can withstand one of those parts you call blows."

Amator bursts into laughter, and Hoomul turns red.

"All right. Let's see if you're all talk."

Immediately, Hoomul attacks Ragnar, but he dodges it.

"You're slower than my grandmother," Ragnar says with a smirk.

Hoomul rushes to deliver another blow, but instead of dodging it, Ragnar puts his swords in front of him and receives all of the giant's force. Despite its tremendous strength, he can maintain his composure and not be sent flying.

 I recognize your abilities, but right now is better if only a selected few go, the giants can be a bit temperamental,” says Amator getting between them. 

I expect Ragnar to insist a bit more, but he puts away his swords. “Very well, but make sure to bring me on the next,”  he says as he leaves. 

With that settled, we venture into the forest and follow Amator towards the plateau.

Almost a whole day passes, and eventually, we reach the edge of the city. I catch sight of the gigantic plateau in front of us. It must measure more than about 500 meters high. Around it, there don't seem to be many houses or people

We skirt the wall of the plateau until we reach one of its left ends and find the gigantic stairs that lead up to the top. In front of the stairs, we are greeted by giants with reddish skin, but a much fainter color than Hoomul's. 

"Careful!" Hoomul shouts and pushes me.

Then, in the same spot where I was, a giant red obese man falls from the sky.

0