Episode 16
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You sure know how to ruin a good moment," says the woman near me.

"What's going on?" I ask, confused seeing Jasmine.

Laliba waves her hand, and the warriors escorting them bring them to where we are.

"What's all this about?" Laliba says with a less gentle tone.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. They tried to infiltrate through the tunnels, and…"

"I'm not talking to you," interrupts Laliba, sharpening her gaze at Jasmine. "I never thought I'd see your face again. After you left, I had to take care of your tasks. Do you know how annoying that has been?"

Jasmine seems affected and bites her lips, but she manages to relax and regain her elegant and calm expression.

"I would never have come here on my own. I'm just repaying a favor to a friend."

"A favor?"

"If I were you, I'd step back and let us go without any further trouble."

"And why would I do that?"

"Aleifir intends for that boy to be his heir. I hope the Tree's High Priestess can understand what that means," Jasmine says.

"Heir?" I say, confused.

Laliba clicks her tongue and finally stands up, leaving the lake.

"I see, but you must understand I can't let you go just like that. You, more than anyone, will know that I must maintain my reputation as a priestess and representative of the families."

Jasmine sharpens her gaze "Speak, then."

"I would like to hire the Red Wolves to help me deal with the problem of the Gray skin."

"What? How do you expect us to solve a problem that not even the healing families have been able to fix!"

"Come on, don't be like that. I wouldn't ask for the impossible. All I'm asking is for you to find the reason for the recent increase in the gray's attacks, and of course, I hope it's entirely free."

Jasmine takes a deep breath and reluctantly nods.

"One more thing, to prevent them from escaping, I need you to stay here my dear sister. Don't worry. I'll keep my promise. The last thing I'd want is to become enemies with an Altum herald."

Jasmine sighs as if she expected it and lets the warriors chain her. At the same time, they release Ragnar and Lilu.

 

The warriors escort us to the exit of the chamber where we must start our mission. However, the warriors immediately leave.

"Wait, which way should we go?" I inquire.

"That's your problem," the warriors say, laughing as they leave.

"Those damn bastards. If it weren't for my mission to become a Red Wolf, I'd tear them apart," Ragnar says.

"Th-this is all because of the damn Amator," Lilu says, trembling as always.

"Amator sent you?"

"Yes, although it was also on Aleifr's direct orders. You know, with that whole 'you'll be the new chief' thing," Ragnar says. "What's your relationship with Aleifr?"

My gaze meets Makasa's. She frowns, forcing me to look away.

"Stop talking. Let's finish this as soon as possible," she says, passing by my side and hitting my shoulder.

Mukasa takes the lead and enters the dark tunnel ahead of us. As we walk through the tunnels, we reach a junction with several paths. While I discuss where to go, Mukasa chooses one of the entrances as if she knows where to go.

"I wouldn't advise going that way," an elegant and clear voice assaults us.

Lilu stands behind me trembling.

From one of the other tunnels, a green light emerges, and behind it, a blonde woman in white attire and a white mask covering her face welcomes us. The light comes from the fireflies trapped in the lamp she holds in her hand.

"Unless you want to die, that is," she says, laughing lightly with an aura of royalty and elegance.

"Die?" I ask her.

"Many of the tunnels are infested with toxic gases. Coming without someone who knows the way is suicide."

Mukasa goes on guard. "And who are you? Why are you telling us this?"

"Of course, excuse me. My name is Isabella. I'm from the main family of the healers. And don't think ill of me; I just want to ask you to do something during your mission. In return, I'll become your guide."

"And what would that be?"

"I want you to help me find my dear husband. He got lost in the tunnels infested by the betrayed."

I ponder for a moment. I can't sense any ill intentions, but my experiences so far have informed me that people in the cave usually have their agendas, often involving risking someone else's life.

I look toward Ragnar and Lilu, but they don't seem interested in the conversation.

"I'm fine with it. What do you think?" I turn to Mukasa.

"Do whatever you want."

"Perfect, thank you so much, my dears," the woman says bowing slightly.

With the matter settled, we are guided through the tunnels by Isabella. After a while, we pass through a smaller chamber where another village resides.

"Why do you use fireflies? Wouldn't torches be brighter?" I ask Isabella.

"Having a fire in these confined spaces is a bit dangerous on its own. But the main risk is the tunnel gases. Any spark could cause a massive explosion."

"That makes sense... By the way, it might be strange to ask at this point, but exactly what are these Grey men?"

Isabella takes her time to answer.

"You'll see soon. But in a few words, they are members of the clan that the Sinabarita corrupted. Grey men are just one of the ways we  called them, some call them betrayed, traitors, corrupted fangs, and many other names."

Eventually, we go down a descending tunnel and reach a giant wooden and steel door blocking the way. Isabella approaches and opens it using a key around her neck.

Not even seconds after we enter, the growls of those creatures can be heard. They rush like a big wave in the tunnel. Their skins are this ash gray, while their eyes are a red color that shines like the minerals on the cave's ceiling.


If you like the story, don't forget to add the story to your library! 

❤️Follow me on Instagram for Illustrations.

❤️Read ahead, 4K illustrations, and support me on my Patreon.

0