Chapter 32
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Samuel crashed through the front doors of the house with unintended force, causing Seamus, who had been on his way to prepare some coffee in the kitchen, to jump in surprise. The chef stared after Samuel as, without a word, he stomped up the ornate steps to his room.

 “Young master!” He called after him. “What is the matter?”

 Samuel ignored him, throwing open the last door to his room, and disappearing into the darkened space without so much as a greeting. The door swung shut behind him, and he sat down at his desk, staring at its dark-paneled surface as images of the last hour flooded his mind.

 Samuel had stared at Lucian for several seconds, unable to form the words that came to his mind. His confusion and dread had evaporated in an instant, replaced by a fit of roiling anger that scared him. He prided himself on being a calm and controlled person, and such sudden, flaring rage had sent his brain reeling.

 “Why would you fail me on purpose?” Samuel had asked, finally, after gathering his thoughts enough for speech. “What did I do wrong?”

 Lucian shocked slightly at the spectacle his actions had caused, had turned to Samuel with a haughty expression. “During your time at the College, you have refused to study the standard practices offered by the teachers.”

 “What does that mean?” Samuel asked.

 “Do not interrupt me!” Lucian barked, and Samuel thought he looked a bit smug. “You refuse to learn incantations or the structure behind spells that you learn. Furthermore, you broke the College’s rules on dueling between students, and injured two of your fellow pupils but two months ago!”

Samuel’s mouth had fallen open at that, and he’d glanced to where Kiinor stood. Kiinor too looked surprised, and even a little suspicious. Turning back to the Archmage, Samuel held up an inquiring hand.

“How do you know about that fight?” He asked. “That happened in private, and we weren’t in the college at the time! Shouldn’t that make it a matter of local law, and not the College’s policy?”

Lucian’s eyes flared in anger, but his smile took on a whole new level of smugness. Too late, Samuel realized he’d stepped into a trap. He half-glanced at Astori as the Transmutation Master looked at him with a stern glance.

“It was reported to us by Archmage Silver!” Lucian said, almost gleefully. It was all Samuel could do to restrain his temper. He’d never been one for fighting, but he wanted to strike at Lucian very badly. “His son was one of the students you attacked, and the Archmage was none too happy!”

Samuel flushed at this. While he wasn’t proud of freezing him in stone and humiliating him, the older student had asked for it when he’d attacked him outside of his own house. Didn’t one enter a fight with the understanding that they risked injury?

“Is this true, Samuel?” Master Astori came up to his side and stared at him intently. “Did you really injure two students?”

“It is true,” Samuel said. Astori looked disappointed as he said it, and he hurried on to finish the story. “But it was in defense. He and Kiinor attacked me first, and I defeated them.”

“I don’t believe it!” Lucian said, practically radiating smugness. “The Silver Family is a prestigious collection of mages. They would never stoop to such tactics. It seems you are a liar, as well as a troublemaker”

Samuel’s ears rang at the injustice of it all. Feeling the rage swell to a crescendo inside of him, he thrust one hand into Peran’s chest to get him away. Without meaning too, he put quite a bit of arcane power into the strike, and Lucian was knocked down, sliding several feet away. An uproar broke out in the auditorium, and Samuel saw several mages stand up and point their fingers at him, beginning to chant.

Before he could react, Samuel felt his vision clouding over. Having felt this exact sensation twice already, he knew that Grimr had taken control of his body. He didn’t try to fight it but allowed the Ancient to control his body to let him escape the incoming storm of spells.

 

Well, it sure helps to have an Ancient on your side in a fight. Samuel thought to himself as he grabbed his spare rucksack, the one he’d bought in Harlest, and started to shove items into it with no regard to the organization. Papers, clothing, and even a sword went into the large sack.

Grimr had taken over his body as completely as he’d done in the fight against the bandits. Over thirty spells had been launched at him in less than three seconds, but with his mana reserves and Grimr’s knowledge, he was able to shift to the side at the last second, avoiding harm completely. Grimr had taken all the mana of the spells thrown at him and sent it back, knocking three rows of mages back with the force of his counter-attack.

Glancing to the side at Archmages Ashara and Wembly, Samuel had feared that Grimr would injure them in his escape, but they’d merely raised their hands in surrender, sensing that it wasn’t Samuel in control of the body. Grimr had darted off the stage and up the rows, reaching the doors before anyone else could react. A final flurry of spells, much weaker as they were launched by those in the back rows, were smacked aside with almost contemptuous ease.

 A knock on his door shook him out of his thoughts, and he turned to see who was calling on him. Expecting to see Arthur or another member of the house’s servants, Samuel was surprised to instead see Shigeru, clad head to toe in a traveling outfit, standing in the doorway. The foreigner wore a less ornate version of his robes, but his swords were, as usual, slung at his waist, the hilts jutting out like the horns of a great beast.

 “Master Seamus told me you entered the house in quite a temper,” Shigeru said, entering without invitation and setting his things down.

 “I expected you to have set out for your trip already,” Samuel said, more than a little surprised. “Were you delayed in setting out then?”

 Shigeru shook his head. “Not quite. Grimr and I wished to stay long enough to congratulate you on passing your examinations.”

 This mention of his exams sent a new wave of anger flowing through his chest. Shigeru’s brow furrowed as he noticed the expression, and his face became more stern.

 “I take it you did not pass, then,” Shigeru said quietly. When Samuel shook his head, Shigeru offered him a sympathetic smile. “Life is hard enough on its own. When you add a meddlesome fool, it becomes even more so.”

 Samuel didn’t have to ask what meddling fool Shigeru was referring to. He chose not to reply to that subject but instead sought a distraction. His eyes fell upon the two items that Shigeru had set down. One was a standard rucksack, a little smaller than his own. The other, however, was long and thin, and wrapped in cloth. Samuel thought at first of a walking stick, but then wondered why it would be wrapped up.

 “So you’re setting out now, then?” Samuel asked dejectedly. Though their chosen practices were as different as could be, Samuel would miss the wise foreigner and his Ancient companion. It wasn’t often that you could meet and befriend a legend, let alone two.

 Shigeru nodded. “Master Seamus has graciously offered to prepare me some rations for the road. He estimates that it will take him another ten minutes. I will collect them, along with my pay from Arthur-san, and depart.”

 Samuel couldn’t think of anything to say in reply to this. Though he’d known for nearly a week that the two would be leaving to set out on their own quests, it still felt quite sudden when he was confronted with it. After today’s chaotic events, he’d nearly forgotten.

 Shigeru waited a few more seconds for some kind of farewell but seemed to understand why Samuel didn’t offer one. He’d had a similar conundrum when he’d decided to leave Nihon-Ja. None of his friends there had wanted to farewell him. They’d begged him to stay, claiming they needed him to serve as Emperor.

 “Well, farewell then,” Shigeru said, stooping to collect his bag and the last thin package. “I hope we meet again later in life. Until then, may the gods watch over you, my friend.”

He put his hands together, right palm over closed fist, and gave a deep bow to Samuel. The young mage copied his action without hesitation and watched as the swordsman left his room, and the door closed on the last sight he’d likely ever have of the courageous and wise man who could have been an Emperor.

What would he do now? It was a question that had been so easy to answer a year ago when he was still stuck to the same boring repetitive schedule that was his life in Harlest. Thinking of Harlest, he suddenly wondered how Sera and James were. His first and greatest friends and he’d left them without hesitation as soon as he could.

“Wait!” He shouted, darting to the door and yanking it open. Suddenly, the answer seemed obvious once more. He wondered why he hadn’t seen it before.

 

He pelted down the hall, skidding to a halt at the top of the wide sweeping stairs. Shigeru was already at the bottom but turned as Samuel reappeared, and raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to speak.

“Can I come with you?” Samuel asked breathlessly.

Shigeru studied the eager, serious expression on Samuel’s face for several moments. He could see the yearning there, the desire for adventure, for a break from his mundane life. He rubbed his clean-shaven chin thoughtfully.

“This will not be an easy journey, Samuel-san,” Shigeru said slowly. “We are setting off on a rather dangerous task, as you know.”

“I know that already,” Samuel said, waving his hand in dismissal. “I still want to join.”

“You’re not just joining to do something rash and exciting? You fully understand and are prepared for the danger we will encounter on the road?”

Samuel paced down the stairs, reflecting on Shigeru’s insistence. It made sense, he supposed. Having just failed his examinations with the College, this decision to accompany himself and Grimr seemed a little reckless. They were going after Neratas, an Ancient rumored to be just as strong as Grimr, possibly even stronger. Taking an obvious deep breath, Samuel calmed his expression before replying to Shigeru’s question.

“I understand the risks involved, Shigeru-san,” Samuel said, matching the swordsman’s formality. “I know where you’re going, and what you’re going to do there. I admit I’m not very useful in a fight yet, but I’m sure you’ve noticed that I’m a quick study. I can be of more help than you know.”

A grin slowly spread across Shigeru’s face. Grimr too, where he lurked between Shigeru’s feet, seemed highly amused. They were both staring intently at Samuel, though the sound of the kitchen door opening distracted all three. Seamus Moran, the head chef of the household, exited the kitchen holding a large parcel of food. He was followed closely by Arthur, who looked mildly curious.

“What’s all this noise for?” Seamus asked jovially, handing the large parcel to Shigeru. “Here you go, mister Shigeru. It won’t last you forever, but you’ll be set for a week or two.”

Samuel bowed his head in gratitude as he accepted the parcel of food. “You are too kind, Master Seamus. Your excellent cooking will be welcome on our journey.”

“Our journey?” Seamus queried, looking around. For once, he was a little late in noticing Samuel’s presence in the room. “Oh, are you setting off with mister Shigeru, young master?”

Samuel nodded in reply, though his attention was focused not on the portly cook, but on Arthur, who was frowning slightly. Mentally kicking himself for not having expected this sooner, Samuel walked quickly down the stairs and stood before the steward.

“I know what you’re going to say, Arthur.” Samuel said firmly. He wanted to end the argument before it began this time. “But I’m going with Shigeru on his journey, and you can’t stop me.”

 

Arthur’s frown disappeared as he looked up at Samuel, breaking out of his thoughts for a moment. “Oh my apologies, young master. My attention was on matters outside the conversation. That sounds like a marvelous idea.”

“I know how you feel on the subject, Arthur.” Samuel continued, barely pausing to breathe. “I know that you’d prefer me to stay in the capital where it’s safe, but I need to do this. There are stories out there in the world, and they need to be witnessed and recorded…”

His voice trailed off as he realized what the steward had said. He squinted at Arthur. “Err. Did you hear what I said?”

Arthur smiled patiently at him. “You’re going on a journey with Master Shigeru. Of course, I heard you. It sounds like a marvelous idea.”

Samuel opened his mouth to reply but found he didn’t know what to say. Arthur’s response was totally unexpected. He closed his mouth, then opened it again. Realizing how foolish he must look, he closed it again.

“You’re… you’re alright with me going on this journey?” he asked incredulously. “You’re not going to insist that I stay home where it’s safe, or at least take a dozen guards with me so that I can be protected?”

Arthur’s smile widened as Samuel questioned him. So far, any time Samuel had tried to leave the house on his own, the steward had tried to shackle him to a protective guard or force him to use the carriage.

“I do wish you didn’t have such an adventurous spirit, and that you preferred a quiet life within the house and its grounds,” Arthur admitted. “But I’ve come to learn that you will always shun such ideas. As for the journey, your father took them often. I half expected you to take off on a journey a week after you got here.”

Samuel blinked at that. This was the first time that Arthur comparing him to his late father didn’t annoy him. He was still too thrown by the older man’s agreement with him.

“I… see.” Samuel couldn’t think of a more appropriate response. “And you don’t think I should take guards with me?”

Arthur let out a short laugh, then gestured to Shigeru. “Master Shigeru is more than enough protection for you, young master. After what he has been through, I doubt you’re in danger.”

Samuel chuckled at that too. Arthur didn’t know anything about the journey he was about to take, and he thought it best that he remain ignorant. He would probably start arguing if they revealed the true nature of the journey.

“Well,” Samuel said, at a loss for words. “I don’t know what to say to that.”

“Sure you do,” Arthur retorted, a twinkle in his eye. “Every great story needs an author, right?”

Samuel couldn’t help but laugh at that. “I’m surprised you remembered that phrase. I must have made that up ages ago in my notes.”

Arthur offered him one of the deepest bows he’d yet seen. “It is a phrase that fits you well, young master.”

Samuel rolled his eyes. This scene was getting a little too emotional for his tastes. Still, he was relieved that Arthur wasn’t fighting his decision. Perhaps it was just as the steward said. Perhaps he’d gotten tired of trying to reform Samuel into a respectable, patient noble who enjoyed lounging at the home and ordering his servants to meet his every need.

“Well then, I suppose I should get packing,” Samuel said, turning to Shigeru. “That is if you’ll accept my company on your trip.”

Shigeru dipped his head. “I’d be honored if you joined me, Samuel-san.”

Nodding, Samuel went back upstairs and began throwing objects into his large rucksack at random. His belongings had been scattered around the room during his stay in Milagre, but it didn’t take him long to pack. Apart from his robes, he still didn’t have much to his name. He did take time to carefully wrap a stack of parchment in cloth to protect it for the journey, but that didn’t take more than five minutes.

He came back down the stairs in time to see Arthur passing Shigeru a small pouch. By the merry jingling sound it let out, Samuel judged that it was full of coins. Shigeru accepted the pouch with a bow, and the two men shared a quiet conversation. They both looked up as Samuel appeared, his rucksack slung over one should. Samuel had also changed into his old blue robe, the one given to him by his mother. It was much more comfortable on cold nights, and he wasn’t as worried about ruining it on his trip.

 

“Are we ready to set out then?” Shigeru asked as he spotted Samuel. “I wish to be out of the city by last light.”

Samuel nodded. “I’m ready when you are.”

Seamus reappeared, followed by James, his junior cook, and Marie. The two younger members of staff didn’t look too surprised to see Samuel, holding the large rucksack and wearing robes more suited for travel. Obviously, Seamus had informed them of his decision, and they’d come to give their farewells.

“Good luck on your journey, young master,” James said with a deep bow. “I hope you have many great stories when you return.”

Samuel stepped forward and shook hands with the junior cook. “I’ll do my best to have something entertaining to tell you when I return, James. Good luck with your training.”

James beamed at him and bowed once more as Samuel turned to Marie. The girl was looking down at her shoes until he stood directly in front of her. She wore her usual wrinkled nightgown at this hour, and he figured she’d been in his father’s study as per usual, tidying the room.

“Take care of my father’s study while I’m gone, will you Marie?” He asked with a grin.

She smiled back at him, her brown eyes crinkled. “It is your study now, Samuel. Have a safe journey, and try not to scramble every other library you come across.”

 

Samuel laughed at her sally and gave her a handshake as well. Of all the members of the estate, Marie was the easiest to get along with, due to their shared fascinations. She was a great debate partner, and Samuel knew he’d look forward to their discussions and shared research when he returned to Milagre. Taking a deep sigh that none of the others saw, he turned to Arthur.

“Good luck, young master.” The steward said gravely. He was in his most professional mode, not allowing any emotion to show on his face. “I’m sure you will make quite a name for yourself in the world outside.”

Samuel grinned. “It’s all thanks to you, Arthur. If you hadn’t come to rescue me from Harlest, I wouldn’t have had the chance to be known. Thank you for these past few months.”

Arthur bowed in gratitude. “I do not deserve your praise, Lord Bragg. It has been an honor to serve you. I eagerly await your return.”

Finding nothing else to say, Samuel made an awkward movement that was half nod and shrug, then turned towards the front door. Shigeru held it open with one hand, letting Samuel out first. He paced down the front steps quickly, not looking back. Shigeru followed right behind him, and they both said nothing. Samuel felt a freeing of a burden on his chest. He was finally setting out to do what he’d always wanted. Sure, he was helping Shigeru and Grimr with possibly the most dangerous favor in history, but he had no regrets.

As Shigeru and Samuel reached the bottom of the long winding drive, they both stopped, with neither saying a word. Above them, at the top of the shallow hill, the large house stood out against the darkening sky. Many of the windows still showed light, and the thinnest wisp of smoke was visible from the chimney.

“It is a beautiful building,” Samuel said, almost in a whisper. “But it’s not where I belong just yet.”

“Indeed,” Shigeru said, turning away. “You are not a man to sit idle.”

Through the kitchen window, overlooking the long path down to the city, a solitary figure watched the blue cloak and shaggy black hair disappear from view. The man smiled, perhaps a little wistfully, but closed the curtains nonetheless. He sat down at the head of the dinner table with a heavy sigh and looked at his companions. Each and every one of them was soberly quiet.

“Don’t worry, he will come back home,” Arthur said, forcing a jovial smile onto his face. “Now, let’s eat.”

 

0