Chapter 43
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They hadn’t moved from the site of their nerve-wracking battle with Neratas. They had all collapsed, in fact, once they were sure it was over. Samuel had felt his knees buckle with the overwhelming sense of relief. Shigeru had lain back down, still incapacitated from the extent of his injuries, and Grimr had instantly curled up in his cat form due to utter exhaustion. Even now he was sleeping soundly, his chest rising and falling as he recuperated. The sleep of the dead, Samuel thought with an inward chuckle.

Being the only one fit to do so, Samuel had set up camp after about an hour of quiet. Using his own mana, he’d gouged out a fire pit in the hard dirt ground, and piled in the last of the wood they’d carried for their journey. That wouldn’t last long in a fire, but he could supplement it after the wood burned away with his own mana. A warm crackling fire soon formed, and Samuel set Shigeru’s coffee pot to boil. He knew enough about first aid to know that he had to boil some of the rags to tend to the swordsman’s wounds.

He had lifted Shigeru from amongst the boulders at the foot of the mountain with carefully controlled winds, shifting him closer to the fire and onto a soft bedroll. The foreigner had woken at the movement, but Samuel calmed him with a silent word as he gently gave Shigeru some of their water. He didn’t want to wake Grimr, but he needn’t have worried. Shigeru passed out again from the pain as soon as he was settled.

Samuel was by no means skilled in healing magic, so he went about tending to his friend’s wounds the only way he could. He pulled the rags out of the boiling water, and after they’d had enough time to cool, he used them to clean Shigeru’s chest. He had to cut the white tunic away, but it was so ragged and torn that it was no great loss. He worked quickly but carefully, wiping away the dried blood and carefully noting each wound he saw.

Thankfully, it did not seem that Shigeru’s wounds were life-threatening. They were severe, no doubting that, but Samuel was confident that even his primitive form of care would be enough. Shigeru’s strong body could take care of the rest. Once the surface wounds had been cleaned and wrapped, he turned his attention deeper, using his mana to methodically scan the foreigner’s body for signs of damage within.

There were three broken ribs, and his sword arm had been fractured as he’d slammed against the boulders. Samuel couldn’t do anything to permanently heal them, but he used his mana to put the broken ribs back into place and reinforced them with strengthening spells. Shigeru would most likely have some trouble using any magical abilities, but that was a concern for the past.

All in all, Samuel thought he was to be congratulated on how well he’d tended to Shigeru’s injuries. Maybe I should put more effort into learning Restoration magic, he thought with another silent chuckle. It had seemed so unimportant as an apprentice when compared to the goal he thought he’d be achieving. It was remarkable, he thought, how wild and unexpected of a turn his life had taken.

Samuel’s first thought, once he was sure they would live, had been to race back up the mountain and complete his business with Arcana. He couldn’t think of the being by his true name, Isip. Isip had been an ancient, powerful being, one of the highest-ranked entities in the world. Arcana, on the other hand, was a fallen god who depended upon the help of a mortal for survival and another chance to regain his old purpose.

He didn’t feel any pity or lack of respect because Arcana was weak now, but he knew that he would always have trouble comparing that scared being to the ancient, wise, and powerful man he had met just a few hours ago. Letting out a long sigh, Samuel shoved the confusing thoughts to the side. Arcana was silent for the moment, and his priorities should be on watching over his friends. He couldn’t afford to be distracted.

He made himself a cold meal of stale bread and more of the dried, salted meat. He decided to make a cup of coffee to improve the meal, however. Sure that no enemies could approach without him noticing, he sat comfortably on the dirt with his back resting against his pack, savoring the reviving effects of the dark liquid as it coursed through his body.

He found his mind wandering again within a quarter of an hour, staring out across the barren landscape, facing to the southeast. It was almost as if he could see the village of Harlest from here, he thought, with how strong the memories that surfaced were. He didn’t regret leaving the boring home he’d occupied there, but he did miss it.

It was nearly nightfall when Oto found him, lightly dozing, finally feeling the effects of the day. He only noticed the man’s presence when he was already next to the exhausted mage. He started with surprise, and the long crystalline blade given to him by Arcana appeared in his hand as he shot to his feet. Then he saw the lined, smiling face that he recognized, and relaxed.

“How did you find us here, Oto-san?” Samuel asked, plopping back down onto the ground. “I thought you were heading to Milagre.”

The white-robed master sat beside the fire with considerable grace. “I had been in the city for only an hour or so when I sensed a disturbance from where I had originally come. I knew at once that it had to be you three that had caused it. I also knew that I had to turn back and come.”

“Shame you didn’t arrive sooner,” Samuel said with a quiet laugh. “You could have helped us in our fight.”

Oto smiled in sympathy. “I confess that I would have been of little help. My power is significant, but you three are of a much stronger caliber than I. No, my purpose is best served now, watching over you all as you rest, and heal.”

Samuel had to admit the wisdom in that. And as soon as rest was mentioned, his eyelids had to remind himself how heavy they were. He’d nearly been completely asleep until Oto had found him, trying desperately to stay awake, but losing the battle.

“I appreciate that,” he said earnestly, blinking away another wave of sleep that threatened to claim him. “Tell me. What did you think of the great city of Milagre?”

“It is truly a sight to behold,” Oto said, reaching for the coffee pot to pour himself a cup. “I met the most interesting man in the markets. He was shopping for the house he served when we met. He told me the remarkable tale of his young master, who had set out on his first true journey.”

“Arthur?” Samuel asked incredulously, confused, but sure he was correct. “The steward of my estate?”

“The very same,” Oto confirmed, taking a long draft of the hot beverage. “The man is very proud of you, and even more so after I shared my story of meeting you. He also knew that I had left in a hurry to meet you again. He wishes you well and hopes that you come home safe.”

Samuel couldn’t help but smile at that. His relationship with the stubborn steward hadn’t been the best at the beginning, but he had to admire the man’s loyalty to his code. He could tell the good wishes were genuine. Perhaps, when he returned, he could take strides to learn from the man, and maybe even become a lord the steward could take pride in.

He let out a huge yawn, not even bothering to suppress it. “Well, I suppose I’ll take you up on your offer. The others are fine. Shigeru had some nasty injuries, but I’ve mended what I could. Grimr is uninjured for the most, just exhausted. He’ll probably be fine with a little sleep.”

“I imagine his soul will be considerably heavier for what he has accomplished today,” Oto said pensively. “Such an experience will surely take its toll.”

Samuel felt a little ashamed for not realizing that himself, but brushed the feeling aside. His sense for such things still wasn’t as sharp as the others’. He would learn with time. For now, he allowed himself to take pride in his meager accomplishments. After all, he thought, as he laid down on his bedroll, feeling as though he’d sink endlessly into the soft wool, what could a man do but take pride in his deeds?

He thought to ask Oto if he knew any healing magics. Perhaps the wise mage could heal Shigeru’s injuries more thoroughly than he could. But he couldn’t manage the question anymore, feeling his mind slip into the warm heavy embrace of sleep, lulled by the soft crackling of the fire beside him and the cool breeze that ruffled his hair as his eyes closed.

He was woken up by a good deal of noise later and was forced to squint against the bright sunlight as he peered around the campsite. Oto was still there as promised, with Grimr and Shigeru sitting around the fire with him. All three were laughing uproariously at some joke that had just been told. Rubbing his eyes, Samuel sat up and pushed his hair out of his eyes.

“Good afternoon, Samuel-san,” Oto said jovially as he noticed the movement. “We’ve just made lunch. I imagine you are hungry.”

He was hungry, as the grumbling in his stomach testified. He nodded silently, though his gaze was focused on Shigeru. The swordsman was seated on the hard ground in a sprawled position, holding a chunk of roasted meat wrapped in bread between his fingers, and didn’t seem the least bit injured. He grinned reassuringly as he saw Samuel staring, and patted a white tunic he hadn’t owned the night before.

“Oto healed me while I slept,” he offered by way of explanation. “Enough that I am able to move about easily. But I know that you were the one who stabilized me, Samuel, and I thank you.”

Samuel waved a hand tiredly in dismissal of his words. He didn’t care about the credit of who had fully healed him, only that he was fine now. In any event, he had another priority as his nose twitched, picking up the powerful aroma of his favorite drink.

Shigeru laughed aloud at the eager light in Samuel’s eyes and leaned forward to pour him a cup. He passed it along with another piece of meat wrapped in bread, and Samuel accepted both with his thanks. He took a bite of the meat before trying the coffee, and felt the juices flood his mouth, washing away the bitter taste that came with sleep. It was delicious, he thought with some surprise.

“One of Oto’s most important skills is the art of cooking, it seems,” Grimr said as he reached for more food. “And be thankful for his skill, because without it we would not eat.”

Samuel, his mouth too full for speaking nodded at Oto in gratitude. The old man winked at him, then slid one of the plates piled with cooked meat and bread towards him. “I set a plate aside for you so that these ravenous fiends wouldn’t eat it all and leave you hungry.”

Grimr and Shigeru laughed again at that, and even Samuel had to grin. The coffee was excellent as usual, and it woke him more thoroughly than anything else could. For a while, he listened, rather than spoke, as he ate his fill, letting the others talk freely as he devoured the food in front of him, along with another cup of coffee. Finally, the plate was clean, the cup was empty, and his stomach felt comfortably tight. He pushed himself up to a proper seating position, stretching his arms and back.

“I must also thank you, Samuel,” Grimr said after he’d finished eating. The Ancient’s eyes were locked onto his own, and the sincerity was all too obvious. “Were it not for you, I would have been destroyed by Neratas’ hand.”

Samuel wasn’t sure how to respond to the potent words, so he offered an awkward shrug. “I only did what was right for a friend. Besides, Arcana was the one who gave me that power, so you should thank him.”

Grimr shook his head, not allowing Samuel to shrug his thanks off so easily. “That power did not come from Arcana, young Samuel. It is your unique trait. And a powerful one at that.”

Shigeru nodded his heartfelt agreement, staring at Samuel with what was almost awe. Samuel ignored this, feeling blood rush to his cheeks as always happened when he felt embarrassed. Trying to move the conversation along, he asked the question that his curious mind had just created.

“My unique trait,” Samuel said ponderously. “What does that mean?”

“It is a skill that you alone possess,” Grimr explained. “Each Ancient has one. It cannot be taught, therefore it is a skill that cannot be challenged. It is perfect, and cannot be improved upon. It is also unique to the Ancient’s nature, more suited to them than any skill or power they will ever learn.”

“I can’t teach it to anyone?” Samuel asked, a little disappointed. “That’s a shame. I fancied myself a teacher in old age.”

Grimr grinned. “Well, I imagine you would be a fine teacher as an old man. Unfortunately, you will never be an old man. At least not by mortal standards.”

“What does that mean?” Samuel asked, feeling like there was an echo. “I cannot age?”

“No,” Grimr said simply. “From now until the day you die, you will be both ancient and forever young. You will remain the age at which you were created. This is the nature of all Ancients. We cannot be hampered in our purpose by age.”

“I see,” Samuel said, feeling for once that he did actually understand. He didn’t have to ask what his purpose as an Ancient would be. “Does this mean that I will be able to turn into an animal as well, then?”

Samuel could see that this question surprised Grimr. Out of all the things he could have asked, this was not expected. He blinked in confusion, then a smile crossed his face and he laughed aloud. He laughed for a good few seconds before calming down, wiping his eyes with the hand not holding food.

“No,” He said, chuckling slightly. “That is my unique trait. I take on the form of a beast. It allows me to connect to more than one type of energy.”

“Beast?” Samuel queried. “I’ve only ever seen you turn into a cat.”

“That is my other form, yes. But the amount of power I have at my disposal can change the size. No point in turning into something bigger than I need, right?”

“That’s true, I guess,” Samuel said slowly, his ever-present notebook full of these new facts.

His notebook was nearly full now, and he felt like he’d barely scratched the surface. Frowning thoughtfully, he used a large chunk of mana to duplicate the book but found that everything about it was copied. He couldn’t make a fresh notebook unless he had one to copy.

“Oh, that reminds me,” Oto said, reaching into his own rucksack. “Arthur asked me to give you this, Samuel-san.”

The old man held out what appeared to be a simple leather-bound book. The covers were stiff, and the paper that made up the pages was all the same size and were stained perfectly white. It was obviously of high quality. The front and back cover were both stained dark brown, almost black, and there was a silver-painted engraving of a hawk depicted in flight. It was, of course, his noble crest. Samuel grinned as he took the heavy book.

“My gratitude, Oto-san.” He said with a sitting bow. “This will come in handy.”

“If I may make a suggestion,” Oto said. “Next time you are in town, buy more paper. I believe a fellow like yourself would run out quite often.”

Samuel couldn’t refute the fact, and Oto knew it. They shared a conspirator’s grin, and Samuel put the two books away in his rucksack for safekeeping. Then he returned his attention to Grimr as the Ancient stood suddenly. Catching sight of Samuel’s curious glance, Grimr gave an unmistakable signal for him and Shigeru to rise as well.

“What is it, Grimr?” Samuel asked. He was unnerved by the expression on his friend’s face. “What else needs to be done?”

“There is nothing else that you need to do, Samuel,” Grimr replied. But there is still much work left for me to do. Also, I must bid my farewells.”

Shigeru shot to his feet, looking alarmed. It was clear that he didn’t expect this any more than Samuel had. “Why are you leaving so suddenly?”

Grimr gave him a heavy glance, silently asking him to calm himself. The warrior struggled to keep his face level but managed it after a few seconds. “I apologize for the outburst. But why must you leave?”

“I have created an imbalance,” Grimr said. “In killing Neratas and sealing him away inside myself, I have gained too much power. If I stay as I am, both natures inside myself would swell and destroy each other.”

Samuel had a vague understanding of the matter. Certain energies were bound to oppose each other. And if any energies were in direct opposition, it was his own and the corruption he had taken in. It stood to reason that, if the energies were to destroy each other, Grimr would stand no chance for survival.

“So what do you intend to do?” Samuel asked. “Surely you don’t intend to sacrifice yourself just to solve the problem.”

Grimr looked at him approvingly. “No. I intend to live on so that I can continue to serve our Mother in both my purpose and Neratas’. It is a lot of work, but no other Ancient can do it. So, in order to survive, I must have certain enchantments placed upon me to ensure that my body cannot be destroyed.”

Samuel thought over that for a moment as he watched the two faces of his friends. Grimr was calm and controlled, clearly determined to fulfill the task he’d set himself. Shigeru’s face was deceptively balanced, but Samuel could see past it, to the surge of sorrow and grief beyond. Samuel was bothered by the news as well, but if his new connection to Arcana could teach him anything, it was that certain actions were necessary, and could not be avoided. Someone had to do Grimr’s job, and he was the best and only choice.

“The only enchantment of that caliber is divinity,” Samuel thought aloud. “But Gods are below Ancients in power, aren’t they?”

Grimr shook his head slowly, but definitely. “Not necessarily. Ancients are just older. The Divines are powerful enough to contend with us, but they lack our connection to Ahya that strengthens us so. They also cannot be destroyed as long as the enchantment exists. This is their greatest strength.”

“So you intend to become a Divine,” Shigeru said, forcing through to the point. “What will you be the god of, exactly?”

Grimr’s shoulders lifted slightly in a shrug. “I suppose if I am to be a god of anything, it is Nature. As it stands, there is no higher being to watch over the natural parts of the world. I fit into such places, so I may as well be their protector.”

“Do gods not need a champion to survive?” Samuel asked. “That is why it was so urgent that I meet Arcana, after all.”

Grimr waved a hand impatiently as if to say that was not a problem. “Even if I was not able to find a Champion, I can survive the burden of divinity for many mortal lifetimes before it harms me.”

“Hmm,” Samuel said nothing more on the subject. Instead, he looked randomly about the campsite for inspiration on a different topic. Sadly, he couldn’t find one. “Well, I guess that makes sense.”

Samuel could see by Grimr’s eyes that the Ancient was glad he protested no further. They might not have known each other for long, but they had developed a fast friendship. Samuel had learned a great deal from the Ancient, and he was torn to see him leave.

“When will you be able to return?” Shigeru asked, breaking Samuel out of his thoughts. “I know some gods can choose to descend to the mortal plane at will.”

“It won’t be for many years,” Grimr replied, turning to focus on the swordsman. “The power of the enchantment will keep me locked in the Divine Isles for quite some time. It may not be possible to return in your lifetime.”

“You could always devote your life to Grimr, Shigeru,” Samuel said, giving him a half-smile. “Then you could pray every day.”

Grimr laughed at that, and even Shigeru smiled slightly. “I don’t suppose that would be too bad. Though I would hate to allow his head to swell anymore.”

The three of them laughed together, enjoying a brief moment of humor. Then they quieted down, becoming morose once more. Samuel had more or less accepted Grimr’s conviction to become a Divine. He knew that Grimr could return eventually, but his own lifespan was limitless now, so he knew he could wait. Shigeru was another matter. The warrior’s face was still a mask of sorrow and pain, but it was now set in determined lines. Slowly, Shigeru kneeled before Grimr.

“It has been my honor to meet you and fight by your side, Grimr,” He said in a slow, sad voice. “I will cherish this memory for the rest of my life.”

Grimr smiled, for once without any sarcasm or dry humor, and placed one hand on Shigeru’s head in a sign of benediction. “You have great potential within you, Shigeru Tokugawa. Do not let it end here. You have much left to contribute to the balance.”

Shigeru bowed his head to hide his tears, and Grimr moved away to pick something up from beside the fire. Looking closely, Samuel could see it was the bone dagger he always carried with him. As the Ancient picked it up, it shimmered brightly at his touch, the thin runic writing along the edge flaring slightly before he slid it into his belt.

“Well then,” he said, his face deadpan as he turned to face them. “Before I go, I must begin the regrowth of the forest. It will take me roughly a day, and then I will depart.”

Shigeru and Samuel stood side by side as Grimr, without another word, turned and walked away from the campsite. The small figure broke into a light jog, then a heavy run, and was soon out of sight. A long sigh escaped Shigeru, and Samuel chose to not look at him just yet. He remained focused on the horizon, where the sun was beginning to fall once again. It had only been a period of a few months, he reflected. Yet it had felt like a lifetime of learning, then of mutual respect, and eventually friendship.

“Long may he reign,” Shigeru said with a slight catch in his voice. “Long live the God of Nature.”

 

0