Chapter 3: Decision
32 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Just beginning?” Lord Stenner mused. His lips curled into a bright smile. “My daughter Nally, please, enlighten me!”

Hitto couldn’t help but gape his mouth open. This old fool just did a complete one-eighty degrees spin. It was just moments ago he was losing his cool on the boy.

The rumours on the compound must be true then, he thought. Lady Nally runs the compound… from behind the scenes!

The Beauty of Stenner’s Grove is what they call her – Nally Stenner, the beloved daughter of the Lord. From what he knew, this girl's words held equal if not more weight than that of her father’s. She was someone everyone in the compound respected and looked up to.

“With your permission, father,” she responded, and with the snap of her fingers, the entrance once again opened.

Five worker hands were accompanied by a sizable contingent of guards, numbering at least fifty. The guards completely filled the room, merging with those already present and effectively taking control of the entire trial hall. Not a single corner of the building remained unoccupied by their presence. The urgency caught many of the on-lookers off guard, leading to disturbed murmurs that were quickly quelled by the clap of Nally’s hands.

Sunja’s face went pale as the five workers came into view and approached his location. He recognized the three women as maids who worked in the stables and the two men as fellow loggers.

“By the look on your face,” Nally began. “I assume you know who these people are?”

“N-No!” he stammered quickly. “I’ve never seen them in my life!”

“Surely you jest!” she teased, walking over to the two men. She then pointed her finger at one of them. “You, raise your shirt and state everything.”

“Yes, my Lady!” the man saluted. He then walked a few steps forward and bowed. “Lord Stenner, it is an honour to meet you. My name is Jakob Clowe, and I’ve worked in the Grove for over four years now. I am present here today as a witness and a victim.”

“I see,” Lord Stenner stated. “Please continue.”

The man gave a firm nod before lifting up his shirt – revealing a tattered torso plagued with bruises, blemishes and nasty scars. He then turned to face the crowd that erupted into gasps upon seeing the grizzly state of his body.

“Sunja and his group of hoodlums inflicted these wounds on me,” the man stated resolutely. “When I refused to give in to their ridiculous demands of giving up my lumber, they responded like this.”

“WHERE IS YOUR PROOF?” the frail man cried hysterically. “IT COULD HAVE BEEN ANYONE!”

“But it was you,” Nally smiled. “My other good friend, would you like to fill in?”

Hesitant at first, the other man stepped forward. He was slightly shaking and clenching his fists as sweat rolled down his cheeks. His eyes then landed on Sunja before he abruptly looked down.   

“Lord Stenner, everything this man has said is true,” he rolled up his right sleeve, revealing a skull and cross tattoo. “This is the mark of our gang, Skull and Lumberdy. We extort lumber from the workhands and sell it in underground markets.”

Gasps escaped from the crowd as Zachary Stenner slammed his fist onto the side of his chair. “What nonsense!” he bellowed. “Alfonso, why did it take you so long to catch these lot!?”

“Apologies, my lord,” he kneeled. “We became aware of their operations not long after we were hired, but we had to wait before exposing them as their operations are extensive throughout the whole compound.”

“That is correct,” Nally added while walking over toward Sunja. She pulled up his sleeve and revealed the same tattoo. “Not only are their operations extensive, but their personnel is estimated to be well over one hundred people.”

As she spoke, more guards began to pour into the hall.

“From the sewing halls to the mines, they had infested every industry we operate in, like parasites. Had we acted too quickly, we would not have been able to pull off this surprise attack.”

Immediately, the guards swiftly and effectively attacked the members of the gang sitting in the courtroom. Uproar commenced as a result as the battle continued. Due to attending a court hearing, all Skull and Lumberdy members were without their weapons. As a result, they were easily subdued.

Some attempted to flee but were stopped in their tracks by more members of the Mercenary Guild who stormed in from the entrance. The guards then pulled up the sleeves of those caught, a lot of which carried the tattoo.

Hitto looked on in awe at what was unfolding in front of him. He had no idea any of this was happening behind the scenes. And for it all to be the plan of a girl no older than he was a sight to behold. Truly, that girl was something.

“Father, all those who are currently apprehended are either members or sympathizers of the gang. They were able to succeed till now due to their ability to control the workhands through fear, as seen in Mr. Clowe’s scars.” Nally turned towards the three maids. “It hurts me to say this, but we are not yet finished.”

“These three and many more who have yet to come forth are victims of sexual assault, and possibly far worse.” A look of disgust appeared on Nally’s face that she directed fiercely towards Sunja. “As of right now, the members of the Mercenary Guild that are not present here are cleaning up everything else outside. That is everything we have to report, father.”

Instantly Lord Zachary Stenner stood from his chair and stretched a firm hand out. “Thank you, Nally, Sir Alfonso, and the rest of the Mercenary Guild. As for my citizens who work hard – I personally apologize for the atrocities you’ve all been facing! Guards! Round all these bastards up and send them to the jailhouse. Their next destination will be Lawt Prison, where they will rot in hell!”

 


 

Nally Stenner found herself standing outside her father's office. At either side of the grand oak double doors were personal guards – not from the Mercenary Guild – who brandished their blades upon seeing her.

“Halt!” the one on the right commanded. “Lord Stenner is currently busy. He will not be seeing anyone at the moment.”

The girl placed her hand on his blade. “Even his daughter? I just wish to have a quick word with him. It’s been five days, yet he’s still couped up in that office. I’ve been patient enough; you’re not turning me away today as well.”

Her expression was stern yet graceful and made the guard lose composure. He looked over to his companion, who offered no help whatsoever. Still hesitant, he opened his mouth once more.

“One moment. Allow me to speak –“

“I will speak to him,” she interrupted. “Don’t trouble yourself.”

With a simple nod, he ushered his companion to follow suit as they opened the door to the office. Inside was a neatly organized room with shelves filled with books and a single desk at the center. Seated at the workspace was her father, Zachary Stenner, who was busy reading through some documents.

“Nally?” he questioned. “Why are you here? I gave orders for no one to enter.” 

“Yes, you did,” she responded as the door closed behind her. “But that was five days ago.”

“And if I hadn’t said anything since, then the rule is still in effect.”

“No, it is not in effect.”

There was a brief pause as Zachary cocked his head up and eyed his daughter. He then placed the documents down and let out a heavy sigh. “Do you not know what respect is? Nally Stenner?”

He stood from his seat and walked towards the window that was behind his desk. “Respect is very important, and I know you already know that. It is the foundation of all relationships – meaning you cannot form bonds without it. And bonds, are equally just as important. They are the foundations of trust. Combined, all three make up a holy trinity that should be honoured when approaching another individual.”

“Then that is something you’re failing to honour,” she intervened. “Why did you exclude me from the Skull and Lumberdy investigation when I was literally the one who caught them!”

“Because of your lack of respect!” he reaffirmed, turning his head slightly to face her. “You keep me out of the loop completely and embarrass me in front of my people – I can see through your games. There is no chance that you will be involved in anything going forward.”

“Really?” she smirked. “How small-minded of you. To think you’d be intimidated by your own daughter when all she did was help.”

“Help?” Lord Stenner sighed. “All you’ve done is make things worse. Leave my office at once!”

Nally rustled through her side bag and pulled out a letter.

“Then you don’t care to see this?” she shrugged. “Oh well, I guess I’ll keep Maximus’ report on the Skull and Lumberdy operations to myself. I’ll follow your lead and allow the Grove to self-destruct.”

“Hand it over,” Stenner commanded, extending out a hand towards her. His face was filled with rage. “I thought I told those capital dwellers to send everything to me!”

“I was the one who hired them, so as they should… they still report to me first.” She walked over to the desk and placed the envelope down. “I already know everything that’s been happening. I just wanted to hear it from you as I thought we were a team, Zachary.”

“We were never a team,” he hissed. “Don’t utter those words from your mouth, girl!”

“Pathetic,” she sighed. “Anyways, I have one more thing to say before I take my leave.”

“What?”

“I’m leaving, and I won't be coming back.”

Zachary’s eyes widened as a laugh escaped his chest. “Leaving? Go ahead! You think I care, you stupid girl!? Do you even know how dangerous it has been outside the compound recently? Completely lawless! Good luck surviving out there!”

“Thank you,” she smiled. “But I won't need luck.”

“Or any of my support!” he snorted. “You’ll get nothing. No money, no supplies, no nothing. Leave this place and never return.”

“That’s the plan!” Nally waved. “I leave the Mercenary Guild officially in your hands now as well. Their contract ends at the end of the year. That should be enough time to solve the Skull and Lumberdy case.”

“Like I even need them!”

“Then dismiss them,” she spat sharply. “I don’t care. Do what you will. Farewell, Zachary.”

She spun on her toes and quickly barged the door open before storming down the halls. Lord Stenner, on the other hand, steadied his breathing and took a seat at his desk.

“That girl is just like you,” he muttered. “Wretched.”

His hand gravitated towards the envelope that he quickly picked up and opened. His eyes quickly scanned through its contents.

 


 

Report: Skull and Lumberdy Operations

Dear Lady Stenner,

I hope this letter finds you well. Below is my report that took place whilst you were in the trial hall:

‘Skull and Lumberdy occupied three distinct regions within the plantation: The Grove, The Caves, and The Smithy. From The Grove, much of the supposed wood Sunja was supposed to have collected could not be found anywhere. What he did turn in is estimated only to be around a tenth of what was cut down. As for The Caves, the recent reports we received of low ore counts were false. We found heaps of iron, gold and more being stashed away and suspect more will turn out soon. Finally, The Smithy. I personally led the group that arrived at the blacksmith's barracks. We were greeted by many gang members in the process of smuggling finished goods. After an intense battle, we managed to recover two crates that were filled with dozens of pure-grade armour and weaponry. With all said in done, we conducted extensive interrogations on caught members and finally believed to know the goal of Skull and Lumberdy: Weapons Smuggling. Where these weapons end up is yet to be determined, but we do suspect that it is linked to the war in the Southern Region.

 


 

“A can of worms!” Zachary shouted with a furious expression. “May death greet her wherever she goes! That wretched girl!” 

1