23. Trouble on Deck
53 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A couple more weeks flew by, and the day of the Ranking Exams had finally arrived. Every member of Dorm 44 gathered in the lounge room, listening to Dorm-Master Silva. 

“Shortly you will all make your way to the docks of Academy Island, where you will board cruise ships to Zelore Island, the location in which the Ranking Exam will take place. The exam is a five-day camp and you will be put through various challenges to gain your rank.” 

“A five-day camp?” 

“Zelore island? That's the island owned by the Headmaster.”

“I heard from the second and third-year students that the Ranking Exam is intense.” 

“Hmmm… I'm getting nervous already.” 

Talking over the slight chatter, Silva continued to explain, “In this Academy, there are three types of Points. The most common is, SP; Spending Points, which are used to purchase anything in the academy. The next is AP; Academic Points, which you receive from your class, a certain amount is needed to graduate each year. And finally, there is XP; Experience Points, these points determine your rank within the Academy, the more you have, the higher your rank will be.”

“During the Ranking Exam, you will be rewarded certain amounts of XP for each challenge you do. The amount of XP gained will be determined by how well you do in a challenge. To check your XP simply look at your ID on your Student Cell.” 

Ken, along with everyone else, grabbed their Phones and opened the ID app, seeing their XP on the screen along with some other personal details. Everyone's XP was at 0. 

“With that being said, I want you all to go into the exams strong and give it your all. Show everyone the might of your magic!” Silva announced, encouraging his students. 

Together, all the members of Dorm 44 let out a cheer, hyping themselves up for the exam. Saying their goodbyes to Silva, they left for the docs, where every other first year in the academy was gathered–300 students. Waiting for them at the docks, stood three small cruise ships, each capable of carrying 100 students. 

“Woah, we’re going to be traveling in one of those!?” Ken exclaimed. 

“I guess we’ll h-have some time to relax before the e-exam,” said Hanako.

“I hope they have a jacuzzi, I want to take full advantage of the cruise.” Koko chirped. 

“I'm so excited for this!” Rufus uttered. 

“So am I! I'll be aiming for the number 1 rank. Hope you can keep up, Rufus.” Drew added. 

Jabbing Drew in the shoulder, Rufus quipped,  “As long as I'm here, you're not reaching number one buddy.” 

Jess, the lady who handed out the Student Cells, stood in front of the crowd of first years. Speaking through a microphone, she announced, "Listen up, you have all been sent a number to your Student Cells, the number you are given is the cruise ship you will board. So please make your way onto your designated ship in an orderly manner.”  

Doing as Jess instructed, everyone checked their Student Cell and sorted themselves out to the ship they were assigned to. 

"Ship no.3," Ken said looking at his cell.

"Sh-Ship no.1,” Hanako said looking at her cell.

"No.1 as well," said Katherine.

"I'm No.2," said Drew.

"Sweet, I'm also no.2," said Rufus.

"I'm also no.1," said Koko.

“And I'm, no.2,” said Lydia.

“Looks like I'm by myself. Well, good luck to you all!" Ken said with a smile.

Saying their goodbyes, the small party headed to their assigned ships. It took some time, but every other first-year student boarded the cruise ships, and with that, the journey to Zelore Island was on the way. 

The inside of the cruise ship was enormous, it resembled a luxurious hotel. This was normal for many students, but for Ken, it was simply spectacular.

"Woahhh, everything is so…. Shinny and classy!" Ken said with an overwhelmed look. "I can't wait to go home and tell Vivian all about this!"

While Ken soaked in his new surroundings, he was joined by Stark Forster, a big fan of his, and Tai Leek, a young mage who passed the Entrance Exam with Ken. 

"Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. This is what it must feel, to be a noble," said Tai. 

“I could get used to this,” said Stark.

“Huh? Oh, Stark right? And Tai.” 

“Yup, your no.1 fan.” 

“It's been a while, Ken.” 

With a slight chuckle, Ken replied, “Well, it's good to see friendly faces.” 

“Yeah, I feel the same way.” Tai took a step closer to Ken, his usual welcoming expression quickly changed to a confronting look. “Listen up, Ken. We are headed to the Ranking Exam, so if the time ever comes, and we have to clash, promise me there will be no holding back.” 

With a toothy grin, Ken replied, “I’d be stupid to hold back against someone like you. So yes, you have a deal.” 

Taking a step back, Tai’s confronting expression returned to his usual welcoming look. “Glad to hear that.” 

“Woah… I hope I'm there to see the two of you fight.” Stark chipped in. 

“Don’t think you're safe either Stark. Just because we are in the same Dorm, doesn't mean I'll take it easy on you.” Tai said, turning his gaze to Stark. 

“Oh, r-right… of course!”  

“Now, how about we go see what this luxurious ship has to offer? Let's enjoy the trip while we can,” said Ken.

With the newly three-man team formed, they were off to interact with everything. Their first stop was mini bawling which was a one-sided game for Tai. They then entered an arcade room, playing several different games which were all won by Stark. Both activities were played comparatively like they were in a duel, and Ken was made out to be an amateur by his two friends. 

Time flew by, and the trio found themselves enjoying the outdoor pool of the cruise ship, with several other students. Ken and Tai sat by the poolside, bathing in the sun’s warmth in their boxers, while Stark played in the pool.

“Hey Tai, have you realized that every venue on this ship is operated by robots?” asked Ken.

“Yeah, I did, I just chalked it up to the academy being super wealthy,” Tai replied. 

“That's fair, but there is also the fact that there is no teacher on the ship… isn't that strange?” 

 "Yeah I agree, no teachers supervising a bunch of students on an expensive ship… is definitely suspicious”

“This is a student-lead academy, so I guess something like this is normal.” 

“Hmmm… I suppos—

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!” 

interrupting Tai, and catching everyone's attention, a loud screeching scream echoed throughout the ship like an alarm. 

“Huh? What was that!?” one of the students panicked. 

“Did you hear that?” another student asked.

“Yeah, it sounds like someone is in danger!.” another student answered.

Everyone in the pool area was thrown into disarray, trying to figure out what was going on.

"That came from the dining hall, let's hurry!" Ken said. Nodding their heads, Tai and Stark raced to the dining hall.

Arriving at the scene, they were petrified at what they were met with. On the ground, was the lifeless body of a female student, laying in a pool of her own blood. All the students standing around were horrified, not knowing what to make of the situation. Everyone stood in silence, not able to comprehend the lifeless body of a fellow student.

"W-what the hell is happening?…" One of the students muttered, his voice rattled.

"Is she… d-dead?..." another student questioned.

"When did… th-this... happen?"

It took time for the situation at hand to sink in, but once it did, they started to panic, screaming and running, in a frenzy. 

“Th-The ocean, it's gone!!” shrieked one of the students. 

Looking out the window, all that could be seen was a thick fog that seemed to spam on forever. The ocean, sky, and other cruise ships could no longer be seen. It was as if they entered another dimension. 

"The hell is h-happening now!?" Stark trembled. 

2