22. Moonlight Vow
56 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Spring Kata: Gentle Wind Pillar!” 

Before the beastly feline realized the situation, Hanako drew her wooden blade, bringing it down with great force. The tip of her bokken did not reach its target, instead, it released a heavy and ferocious pillar of wind slamming the beast into the ground with a heavy impact. The excess gust from Hanako’s spell caused the nearby leaves to dance around the defeated creature.

This was the first time Ken had witnessed Hanako in action, and he was left awestruck. “Awesome.”

"You were amazing, Hanako!!" Ken cheered out loud. “This is my first time seeing you draw your bokken, and you were so cool! So fast, I didn't even notice when you disappeared!” 

The rapid-fire compliments from Ken only made Hanako’s milky pink skin flare up red. “.....Ahhh… th-thank… you…” 

"Autumn Style? Never heard of that before, is it your family's sword style?"

"Y-Yes it is. It's called Four Seasons. The Four Kata are named after each s-season, and each Kata is tripled in power during its r-respective season….”

"Four Seasons huh? Well, I hope to see more of it in the future." Ken replied 

Ken stood in front of the unconscious Lukoon holding the scroll open. The scroll lit up and sucked the beast into it like a vacuum. On the face of the scroll, a picture of the Lukoon appeared on it. 

“Seal” 

The beast scroll stopped shining. It rolled itself up and a seal conjured onto it, completing the seal.

“Job complete. Let's head back to Finn.” 

“Yeah.” 

Ken and Hanako soon arrived at the meeting spot, which was the academy cafeteria. 

"Hey, Finn, we’re back!"

"...It took l-long but we did it as promised…" Hanako added.

"Well, it's the least you guys can do since you did destroy my clubhouse," Finn replied.

".....I am sorry… F-Finn." Hanako apologized looking down at her black boots.

"Yes yes, and we apologized already. Now how long till the clubhouse is fixed?" Ken asked.

"Well, it took almost all of my points to pay for the damage caused by Tempest, and for that, I’ll need both of you to transfer me 200 points… it's the minimum you two can pay.” With no objections, the two first years nodded their heads. 

“Good. To answer your question, it should be done within a few weeks, so right after the Ranking Exams. Until then, you two are only half members of the Companions."

"I guess that's fair. Here is the beast scroll." Ken said, handing Finn the scroll.

"And Hanako, you probably shouldn't summon Tempest out in the open, not until you know how to control him properly," Finn suggested.

"Yeah… that would be b-best." Hanako twiddled her fingers.

“I have nothing more to add. Send me the points and you two can be off”. 

Doing as Finn instructed, they transferred him 200 points. With that, they said their goodbyes and headed off back to their respective Dorms. On their way back, Hanako stopped by the water fountain. 

“Huh? What's the matter, Hanako?” 

"...So Ken, h-how are you enjoying the Academy…?”

"That's an unexpected question… but, I've been here for quite some time now, and I've seen so many things I used to read about in books. I've also made friends. So I'd say my experience is going well." 

"...W-When we first met on the train, it was a little a-awkward… but once we started talking… I felt like I could trust you… it was as if… our h-heart connected. Even though we had just met… you, a stranger, made me b-believe I could accomplish my dream, and… have faith in my magic…”

Hearing Hanko say such words, turned his cheeks red… this time Ken was the one on the receiving end of compliments.

"I'm h-happy to hear that, Hanako…" 

"...W-we made a promise to help each other achieve our goals…" From the single pocket on her skirt, Hanako pulled out two hand-crafted matching bracelets. 

“?”

"The Shinrinyoku have a c-culture for binding two equals as everlasting…. c-companions in arms. Th-That not even d-death can tear apart. This was a ritual back when Shinrinyoku was a w-war zone country… but, as time went on and peace arrived, it becomes a b-binding of friendship between two people as l-loyal equals, through a promise…." Hanako explained before handing Ken one of the bracelets.

 "Hanako…" 

“It's called Moonlight Vow. The ritual can only be done under a full moon…” 

"...Looks like I'm experiencing even more of the world. So how does the ritual work?"

"W-Well, normally both Oni's tie the bracelet in a knot around one of their h-horns. Then, they untie each other's bracelet and tie it around their wrist, then they finish it off by shaking hands, using the hand with the bracelet." Hanako explained.

"But, since you don't have any horns and you're a b-boy, you tie it on your left wrist, and since I'm a girl, I'll tie it to my right horn…" 

"Oh, I see." Following Hanako’s explanation, Ken tied his bracelet around his left wrist. In return, Hanako tied hers to her right horn.

"N-Now I'll untie it from your left hand and tie it to your right hand…." She slowly untied the bracelet from Ken's left wrist and tied it to his right wrist. "Now you untie it from my right h-horn, and tie it to my left wrist…"

Ken slowly moved his hands up to Hanako's right horn, and gently tugged on the knot, untying it. Hanako held out her left hand, allowing Ken to tie the bracelet to it.

“Her hands are so soft…” 

Hanako kept her hand held out. She kept eye contact with Ken, with a soft smile decorating her pink face. "N-Now, we shake hands…"

Looking at the pink Oni in front of him, Ken couldn't help but get lost in her gentle scarlet pink eyes. It was like the first time they met, back on the train from Cardino Port. It was a cold night, but his temperature was rising by the second, he could hear his heartbeat increase. 

“Oh no, I need to calm down. This is just a ritual between two friends, this isn't love… take a deep breath, Ken Granfold. Don't make it awkward.” 

“....Ummm, Ken, are you o-okay?” 

Taking a deep breath to calm his nerves, and bring himself back to reality, Ken nodded his head. “Yes, I'm fine.” 

Wiping his sweaty hand on his pants, Ken grabbed Hanako’s hand, returning a gentle smile. A gust of wind blew past them, making the nearby trees dance, both Ken and Hanako looked up at the gleaming full moon, admiring its beauty in the clear night sky.

"It's beautiful…" Hanako softly spoke 

"Yeah, it sure is."

"This... is the first time I've e-ever did this with a b-boy,"

"....Then, I'll take this as a great honor, and make sure to bring our promise to light,” Ken replied. 

 

2