24. Phantom Nest
38 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"Since when did we submerge in this thick fog?" Stark asked. 

"This isn't just any normal fog. It's a Phantom Nest." Tai answered.

"What's a Phantom Nest?"

"It's an expert-level illusion and summoning spell. The fog is riddled with countless phantoms that prey on fear and eat the souls of those that are afraid." Ken explained.

"And with this massive panic, it's only going to be easier for the phantoms to cast fear and steal souls," Tai added.

Swarms of pale distraught ghosts came rushing into the ship. Flying around in a chaotic manner attacking anyone that was filled with fear or on the verge of being filled with fear. The deathly ghosts passed through their victims, liberating their souls from their bodies. 

The phantoms only made the situation worse. Some students tried to attack them with several spells, but just as expected, it was no use. Their spells had no effect as they just passed through the phantoms as if they were hitting air. 

"This isn't looking good!” Ken shouted over all the background noise.

Before the trio could make their next move, a group of phantoms blocked their way. Stark launched an ice spell, but it simply phased through the phantoms. 

"That's useless Stark, normal spells and physical attacks won't be useful against them," Tai advised.

The group of Phantoms blocking their way began shape-shifting into different nightmarish forms, trying to frighten them. Ken and Tai were unphased, but the same couldn't be said for Stark. The unpleasant forms the phantoms took, made him flinch, stepping back in fear. 

Sensing fear within Stark, one of the Phantoms let out a screeching howl before it flew straight into his body. "What the hell did it just—” With that, Stark dropped to the ground, his skin slowly turning light blue.

“Damn it!” the two boys cursed.

Using his bandaged anti-magic arm, Tai struck the remaining phantoms, each of his punches vanquishing the nightmarish ghost. With them gone, he rushed to Stark’s body, trying to wake him up. But no matter what he tried, Stark did not open his eyes.

"His body temperature is dropping…." said Tai as he placed his right hand on Stark’s forehead.

“Your left hand, thanks to its anti-magic properties, you were able to strike and destroy the Phantom's. So can't you use it to banish the one inhabiting Stark’s body?” Ken inquired. 

“I'm barely able to control my cursed arm… if I used it on Stark, there is no telling what may happen. I could do more damage than the phantom…”

"Hmmm….” Ken picked up Stark onto his shoulder. “....I might have a way of getting the phantom out of him before it takes his soul, but we need to look for a safe space." Said Ken.

"A safe place in all this chaos?"

“It'll be difficult, but I need you to clear a path for me until we find a safe spot.” 

Nodding his head, Tai followed closely to Ken, as they navigated their way through the Phantom Nest. Any phantom that got in their way, was swiftly taken care of by Tai and his cursed left hand.

The once luxurious ship was now in a state of disaster. Students were dropping to the ground by the minute, and the chaos only made the situation worse, summoning more and more phantoms from the fog.

While still on the search for a safe space, they found themselves on the second floor of the cruise ship. In front of them stood a giant yellow dome, with wing patterns adorning it. Inside the magical dome, several students took refuge, protected from the Phantoms.

“That must be some sort of barrier. Let's go!” said Ken. 

Entering the barrier, Ken and Tai immediately felt a calming energy fall upon them. “A barrier to calm the nerves and keep the phantoms out. This is quite the spell.” Tai pointed out. 

Ken gently placed Stark on the ground. His body was losing its warmth, and his bronze-colored skin was now a pale blue. 

"What's happening to him? Did he lose his soul?" One of the students asked.

“Not quite yet. He's doing well fighting back the phantom from within…” Ken answered.

“So, what's your plane?” Tai asked.

Ken reached into his pocket and pulled out the level 2 banishing tag that he grabbed from Finn back when Tempest went on a rampage. “Good thing I kept this on me.”

"That's a level 2 banishing tag? Something like that won't have any effect on an expert spell such as Phantom Nest,” said Tai.

"That is true, but with my Reforge spell, I should be able to change the rules and level cap placed on this tag." Said Ken.

"Reforge?..."

"Yes, a spell I've been working on for nearly a month now.” 

“?”

Holding the banishing tag in his right palm, Ken conjured a small white magic circle underneath it. The tag hovered a few inches above the newly formed magic circle. The tag shined a white color, then slowly started to disassemble itself into small pieces.

“Reforge!”

With Ken’s incantation, the pieces once again assembled themselves back into one piece. The tag stopped shining, revealing its slightly new appearance. With the spell complete, the white magic circle disappeared.

"Alright I'm done, I've upgraded it to a level 20 banishing Tag," Ken stated.

"A level 20!" Tai was visibly shocked. "It's impossible to create a level 20 from a level 2, without a Forgers Table.” 

"Looks like all those late-night studies and theory writing came in handy." Placing the newly formed banishing tag on Stark’s chest, Ken chanted;

“Banish”

The tag phased into Stark’s chest, and after a few seconds of waiting, his body started to glow with a white aura, and as it did the Phantom was forced out from his body. Seeing a phantom within the barrier alarmed everyone, but Tai quickly reacted, using his left hand, he destroyed the phantom, putting everyone at ease once again. 

Returning their attention to their unconscious friend, a wave of relief fell upon them, as the color of his skin began to return, and warmth returned to his body. 

“What kind of spell was that?” Tai asked Ken.

With a smirk, Ken simply replied, “The kind of spell that'll put me on top!” 

Returning the smirk, Tai said, “Now, I'm more eager to fight you!” 

“The time will come. For now, we need to find a way to stop all this.” 

“You’re right. Stark will be safe in this barrier. Let's split up and cover more ground. There must be someone casting the spell.” 

“Good idea. I'll see you after all this is over. Don't go having your soul snatched.” 

“Never.” 

With that, the two boys split up, to search for the source of the spell.

1