28. Potion-Brewing
51 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first years were split into three groups; A, B, and C. Placed in group C with Katherine, Ken arrived at a grand garden brimming with all types of flora and insects. Surrounding the garden, a glass enclosure, built in the middle of it, stood a single building.

All of Group C looked around in awe, amazed at the beauty that surrounded them.

“Woah… this place is amazing.” Ken marveled.

“Yes, it's quite the spectacle.” Katherine agreed.

Everyone slowly made their way into the building in an unorderly manner. The setup inside resembled that of a potion-brewing classroom. Several shelves filled the room, all filled with high-grade potion-brewing equipment.

Sitting up front, sat a professor who looked to be in his early 70s. He held a serious look, someone who won't tolerate horsing around. On the professor's table sat a young woman, who had the opposite demeanor to the professor, she carried a cheerful attitude. Next to her was a metal box.

"Welcome, my name is Professor Elor, and this woman here is my lab assistant, Julie."

“Hello everyone!” Julie waved.

Scanning the group of students, Elor continued to speak, “For this assignment, all you need to do is brew a potion within 2 hours. This will be traditional potion making, so using spells to enhance your potions will be prohibited.”

Most students let out a heavy sigh at the thought of making traditional potions. 

"What kind of potion will we be making?" One of the students asked.

"In this metal box are vials of heart poison, that’ll slowly burn away at the heart, until death. Julie will be drinking a vile of this poison for every pair that comes up. You will be making a healing potion that’ll cure the poison so she doesn't die." Dr Elor explained.

After hearing Dr. Elor say that Julia would drink the poison, everyone started panicking amongst themselves, talking about how crazy and dangerous that sounded. 

“Strange, normally a Testing Doll would be used for such assignments, in case anything goes wrong,” said Katherine.

“Hmmm… but, Julia seems happy to be taking the poison,” said Ken.

"Isn't that dangerous? Why not use a Testing Doll?" One of the students asked with concern for Julie.

"Because with someone's life at stake, you will truly be put to the test. Whereas if this was a Testing Doll, a lot of you would feel at ease and not produce your best… am I wrong?" 

The students stayed silent, even though it was a twisted idea, they knew Dr Elor somehow had a point.

With a rosy smile, filled without a worry in the world, Julie spoke, calming the student's worries. "Don't worry students. Try your very best, I'll be fine. You're all amazing students, so I believe in your capabilities!"

Julie's kind words brought ease to most students, but there were still some on edge about the whole thing.

"If you have a problem, you're free to leave, but you will receive an automatic F which equates to 0 XP,” Elor informed the group. 

“...” Everyone stayed silent. 

“As I thought. Now, you will have access to the entire garden to aid you in making your healing potion, do not waste it.” 

“Now for the grading!” Julie clicked her finger and with that, a mana screen appeared for everyone to see. “You will gain XP depending on the grades you receive.” 

A+: 600XP

A: 500XP

B: 350XP

C: 200XP

D: 100XP

E: 50XP

F: 000XP

“You will be working in pairs, so find a partner and get started. Your 2 hours, start now!” With that, students hurried to find a partner to accomplish the assignment with. 

Looking over at Katherine, Ken asked, “So, Katherine, want to team up?” 

Not looking in Ken’s direction, she replied, “No.” 

“Do you not have faith in my skills?” 

“Quite the opposite actually.” Katherine finally turned her gaze to Ken. “One wouldn't be able to tell at first glance, but you're a very knowledgeable individual.” 

“Umm… thank you?” 

“I doubt I'd ever be able to beat you in combat… but, when it comes to non-combat, I won't lose to you Ken Granfold.”

“Are you challenging me, Katherine Locket?” 

“You better not hold back.” With that said, Katherine walked off. 

“Great, now I have to find someone to work with.”

Ken exited the building and roamed the brimming garden, it was like an ecosystem for Potion Brewers. The more Ken walked around, the more amazed he became. He saw plants and bugs that didn't exist on Zen Island, the enclosure had its own little river system, filled with all sorts of fish and sea life.

“Whoever keeps maintenance of this place has done an amazing job. Everything is of high quality.” 

"Hey!” A girl with lush blond hair called out to Ken, waving him down.

“Hmm?” 

“You're Ken Granfold right?" She asked.

“In the flesh,” Ken answered.

"My name is Nelly Lux. You and I are now partners for this assessment!" 

"And what makes you think I’d team up with you?"

"Because just like you I don't have any friends" Nelly bluntly said with a smile.

"Huh? Speak for yourself. Because I have friends!”

"Oh yeah? Then where are they?"

"Well, they aren't here, but I have friends!"

"Sureeeee, whatever you say, big guy. Well, since your 'friends' aren't here with you, I guess you have no choice but to be my partner!" Nelly said air quoting the phrase 'friends'. “You're not exactly liked by most first year's, and everyone else already seems like they found a partner.”

“Hmmm….” 

Letting out a deep sigh, Nelly muttered, “I guess I have to use my most powerful spell.” 

“?”

Nelly took a step closer to Ken with her eyes closed, she then opened her eyes looking him directly in his deep brown eyes.

Her naturally big eyes seemed to grow an inch bigger, and her sunlight-yellow pupils sparkled like the sun. She stuck her bottom lip out while slightly tilting her head down but keeping eye contact with Ken who was several inches taller than her. Her cat ears perked upwards and her tail slowly swayed side to side–It was cuteness overload. 

To top off her cuteness, she purred, “Please, Ken Granfold, fill your heart with the warm rays of the sun and be my partner.”

“....”

“....”

“....” 

Ken tried his very best to resist but in the end, it was no use, Nelly’s cuteness got the better of him, and he broke under pressure. 

“Okay, you win! I will team up with you!” Ken conceded. 

“Thank the rays of Solis!” Nelly chirped. “What kind of healing potion do you have in mind?” 

“Hmmm… I'm still thinking.” 

“I have an idea for a potion, but… I don't have the skills to brew it.” 

“Don’t worry, with me as your partner, there isn't a potion that can't be brewed!” 

“Woah! You're radiating with so much confidence! Okay, let's brew a mixed potion!” 

“Great idea, what two potions do you have in mind?” 

“I saw several jars of fairy dust earlier, so I was thinking we could brew an Ellofye-style healing potion, mixed with a High Elf Mana potion.” 

“Those are some pretty complicated potions, but a basic potion wouldn't be any fun, so let's do it! I'll work on the Ellofye healing potion,” said Ken 

“Then I'll take care of the Mana Potion.”

“Alright, let's collect what we need and meet back in the building.” 

1