Chapter 31
3.9k 6 88
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A floor below the roof. Jason and Matt were walking through the high rise restaurant. It was empty without a soul. A few tables had leftover food on the table but judging by the smell, it wasn’t safe for eating.

 

In his hand was a can of creamy corns. Jason did go through the kitchen and looking up for supplies. The pantry was full and the kitchen fridges were filled to the brim. It would have been good if it wasn’t for that airstrike. All this food will be gone to waste, blown up into smithereens by an airstrike.

 

He continued eating up the corns as his eyes wandered around the restaurant. The outside view was the same as usual, black smokes kept on rising. Jason didn’t bother looking down on the street as it didn’t matter to him. Matt didn’t have the appetite to eat but seeing Jason chowing down those golden creamy corns made his stomach growled. He had his chance but he wasted it over his anxiety.

 

The restaurant was huge covering the whole floor. In fact, this floor houses two prominent high-class restaurants. Both dubbed as Michelin Stars restaurants. Well for the scouring Jason, that tidbit of information wasn’t known to the man.

 

He walked across the carpet floor, the modernized chandelier on top of him was still on but the ambient didn’t matter to Jason. Yet something made him halted his movement.

 

“Get down,” shouted Jason.

 

He threw himself on the soft carpet floor and rolled his body underneath the table. Matt long accustomed to Jason didn’t question his order and dropped down on the floor. Jason kept his eyes at the glass wall window. A huge shadow hovered at the outside. He didn’t see it but seconds ago, he heard a sound. A familiar sound that once almost threw him out from the hotel building.

 

It’s that damn ancient bird again.

 

It was the ebony pterodactyl flying outside hovering around as its eyes were glancing within the inside of the restaurant. Judging from its size, it was bigger than the one Jason managed to kill.

 

Poking his head out right now would only invite more trouble and that trouble wasn’t something he wants to deal with. He laid there on the carpet floor keeping watch on the persistent ebony pterodactyl flying outside. The flapping noise it made was loud and clear to Jason’s ears. At times, it went away but it came back in a short notice. Jason didn’t have the time to move from his current spot.

 

For some reason, he felt rather comfortable lying down on the carpet floor. It felt rather warm too underneath the table covered by the tablecloth. His eyelids grew heavy and as he tried to focus his sight on the ebony pterodactyl, it only made his drowsiness even worse.

 

He didn’t even realize it but his body was tired and his mind weary. His minor heal+ didn’t have the property to cure fatigue and his stamina was too low to adapt to his strenuous actions. In a matter of a few seconds, his conscience was drifting in his dream as he slept underneath the table.

 

“Wake up man,” someone’s voice was bothering Jason.

 

“Hey, wake up. We’re in big trouble,” that annoying voice kept on blabbering to his ears.

 

“Wake up, damn it,” in order to wake up Jason, Matt resorted in slapping him as the last line of way to wake the heavy sleeper Jason.

 

But before Matt’s slap could even reach Jason’s face. Someone gripped his neck rendering him fighting for air. Jason opened up his eyes and saw the struggling man trying to catch his breath.

 

“Staph...” Matt’s face grew pale and his voice turned slur.

 

Jason released the grip on Matt’s neck as the man in question try to take a deep breath. He coughed out a few times before taking a few more deep breathes.

 

“Damn... you...” Matt tried to speak as he took in a huge amount of air.

 

“I fell asleep?” said Jason as he yawned out of reflex. He was still groggy as he was forced to wake up from his sleep.

 

But then he noticed something. His half-closed eyes saw the change in outside. Unlike the blue sky and white clouds, all he saw now was only darkness.

 

“It’s night and what is that noise?” Jason was still having a hard time adjusting.

 

Then a man grabbed on to Jason’s shoulders. It was from Matt.

 

“Dude, we got to get on the roof. There’s a freaking huge bird terrorizing the whole place,” said Matt.

 

He too fell asleep as if like a spell befell on them. But Matt woke up first. He didn’t bother waking up Jason as he was still a bit scared at Jason. He found the stairs leading up to the rooftop and decided to go first. But as he opened the door, he could only close it back as he was trembling in his shoes. The sight of a big ancient bird, killing people with its long snout was too much for him to witness.

 

He rushed back downstairs and tried to wake up Jason and now it leads back to the present. The image of Maria and his cousins surfaced at that point in time. He didn’t dawdle and rushed towards the staircase. But he stood motionless after a while as he didn’t know where it was.

 

“Over here,” Matt beckoned him to the right path.

 

Jason followed Matt’s lead and as he grew closer to the roof, he heard gunshots and loud shrieks. The image of a woman wielding her Glock, shooting at the flying dinosaur kept on cycling within his mind.

 

He ran up the flight of stairs. The door was within his reach. He slammed his body on the door as he pushed down the handle. His ears were bombarded by the loud screaming and gunshots. They were all over the place. Jason’s vision saw things that were far from normal.

 

The hell is going on here?

 

Blood spilled all over the place. Disembodied bodies with guts spilling over were seen left and right. Men dressed in black suits with black shades were firing their guns at the flying creature hovering over the rooftop.

 

Jason didn’t expect to see a bunch of people coming out from the Man in Black movie shooting at a prehistoric bird. It was like Man in Black meets Jurassic Park. While his eyes witnessed these people shooting against the flying creature. His sight saw a familiar-looking gal holding on to a Glock in her hand. She was desperate with her back consisting of people that Jason knew. Maria was trying her best to protect the people from danger.

 

Jason turned his attention back to the humongous ebony pterodactyl. He knew the bullets firing at it were useless. It was like throwing a stone at a tank. This flying creature was strong. Stronger than the one he once fought.

 

Each time those wings flapped, a strong turbulent wind rendered these people from doing anything. They already desperate in trying to keep themselves from rolling around on the ground. Jason had a simple thought.

 

Why didn’t they just move downstairs?

 

Within this chaos, right or wrong didn't even matter at the moment. Everyone on the rooftop was fighting for their lives on the line. Another man in black eaten by the long snout of the ebony pterodactyl. The rest were unfazed, emotionless even after seeing their colleague being eaten.

 

Their fingers didn’t stop pulling the trigger. Jason stood there as the harsh wind brushed over his face. He was deep in thought, trying to think about how to take on this big flying monster.

 

Aim for the eye again? But can I even reach it?

 

The ebony pterodactyl was hovering sixteen feet above the rooftop. Jumping over that height was not easy and Jason himself didn’t know whether he can do it or not. He didn’t actually test out his capabilities to the fullest.

 

Jason scanned the rooftop trying to find a spot where he could jump at the flying beast. Even if he did manage to jump at it, there’s a possibility of him being fly around by that damn animal. Risking his life wasn’t in the plan.

 

Should I gamble on using Wind Cutter?

 

The thought of using every point that he had into energy and dexterity came into mind. But a voice snapped him out of his train of thought.

 

“Jason,” he turned and saw Maria running towards him.

 

The loud deafening sounds from the ebony pterodactyl's shriek and the sounds of gunfire drowned out the voice of Maria. He couldn’t hear what she was saying. But then his line of sight caught on something. A huge tail came out of nowhere as it slammed over the oblivious Maria. It struck her by surprise bringing her feet off the ground. Along with the strong turbulent wind, Maria was flung in the air.

 

Jason saw it happened right in front of him. As if times slowed down, he saw Maria being swept by the wind. His heart beats faster as he shouted.

 

“Maria.”

 

 

 

 

88