Chapter 8: Lurking Danger
309 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The caravan continued their travel through the dirt path leading to the town of Brookhaven. The morning sun was shining, and forest life could be heard all around.

However, as the caravan consisted of the adventurers of the town of Brookhaven, knights of the kingdom, and the two princesses traveled forward, they encountered many groups of monsters on their way.

Their traveling speed became slower due to the endless waves of monsters coming to halt their movement. They spent their day fighting rather than traveling forward, which made their supposed traveling time much slower than it should.

Afternoon had arrived, but the battle was still ongoing. Bodies of giant wolves scattered throughout the road as a brutal battle occurred.

"Aid the injured," Vahili ordered. She was now wearing gold armor created using magic, allowing her to fight head-on against monsters. She was holding a golden sword and a shield made of magic.

Another pack of giant wolves rushed towards their formation with their vicious fangs. However, a massive blue barrier formed around the caravan, preventing the giant wolves from approaching.

"Sister, this is the last pack of them," Hyuna said as she approached Vahili. Her hands were glowing in blue light, indicating that the blue barrier around them was made by her.

"Pesky monsters," Vahili said, and she waved her sword in a circular motion, creating a massive sword made of light. "Vanquishing Slash!" she screamed.

The giant sword of light turned so long that it reached a massive area, instantly killing all the wolves trying to get into the barrier. This magic attack would not hurt people that the user considered allies, even if it passed through in the caravan—it only hurt the monsters.

The wolves fell, and those lucky enough to get out of the attack's way immediately ran away.

What left was the entire caravan, safe, and all members still standing.

As battle was done, Killian rushed in and healed all the injuries, from the knights to his fellow adventurers. Watching the aftermath in silence.

Vahili's gold armor disappeared, and because she used a huge amount of magic, she immediately fell on her knees, chasing her own breath.

"Vahili," Hyuna called as she held her sister and supported her. "You did great."

Vahili stared at her big sister and slowly nodded. "You did great too, sister."

"You are injured, princess," Killian said as he approached them.

Vahili didn't say a thing; she just nodded at Killian and let him heal her bleeding wound on her right arm. Killian's hands glowed in green as he slowly healed Vahili's wound.

While being healed, Vahili just watched Killian's face—every part of it. From Killian's gentle but fearless eyes to his beautifully shaped lips and chiseled jaw. Vahili couldn't help but get amazed; the next thing she knew, she was already biting her lower lip.

Hyuna cleared her throat. "That was a harsh battle."

Vahili raised her head and found Hyuna staring at her with a meaningful smirk—Hyuna knew her little sister very well, and her sly smile showed that she could read exactly what Vahili was thinking.

"It is done; you are fully healed now, your highness," Killian said. He stood up and showed a gentle smile. He extended his hand toward Vahili.

"I see." Vahili nodded and took Killian's hand. She let him pull her from sitting on the ground. "Thanks, Killian."

"Adventurers of the town of Brookhaven, I thought you said you already cleared this path. Why are there still great numbers of monsters interrupting our travel?" The captain of the knights screamed with authority, his eyes darting to the adventurers.

The captain of the adventurers approached. "We did clear this path; however, for some reason, as we travel further, the waves of monsters are becoming denser and denser. It should not have been the case."

"It only means this phenomenon is not natural," Vahili said as she walked forward, her eyes wandering around the great forest around them. "I also find it strange that monsters stop attacking when we are stopping on our journey."

The knights and adventurers looked at each other. They easily understood the message Vahili wanted to convey. This mission had more than they had initially expected.

"For now, let's take a rest in this area. We should be careful as we push forward our route. Be prepared for anything," Hyuna ordered, making the knights and adventurers move immediately.

Exhales of relief as to finally getting the rest of the day sounded around. On the other hand, Killian stared around the forest with narrowed eyes. He could see what others could not with such precision.

"Killian, aren't you not nervous? You have just heard that this mission turned out to be more dangerous than you initially signed up for," Vahili asked. There were only two of them standing.

Killian temporarily removed his eyes from the entities he was observing and focused his eyes on Vahili, who was focusing her attention on him.

"I was already prepared to die a long time ago," Killian answered. "But I am afraid that the day of my death will not come soon. At least not yet."

Vahili smiled. "You are quite strange," she said, slowly walking away from Killian, leaving him alone.

Killian didn't reply and just watched Vahili walk away; she slowly disappeared into the crowd of people.

Killian's eyes darted to the part of the forest where a standing mountain could be seen, one of the places where his current location could be clearly observed. Killian's eyes narrowed, but were slowly replaced by a confident smile.

"I expected them to send at least ten, but it seems they are underestimating me and sending only two," Killian said, tilting his head. "Or perhaps they are not here for me. They are here to make sure the two princesses won't reach me. If that's the case, then it is understandable."

Killian began to walk away. "Their plan is to assess the strength of the two princesses first, then attack when they are already certain that they can win. That is not a bad plan." He stretched his arms. "I should go take a bath now."

11