Chapter 2. The Dawn Of Spilled Blood-1
992 14 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I quickly grabbed his key ring and started trying every key on the lock holding my tail. After about fifteen keys one finally worked and the lock opened with a quick click. I hurriedly took the chains off making an absolute racket but no one seemed to care. Going to the door of my cage I found that it was a simple bar lock, no keys were required.

"Idiots" I muttered as I left my cell. I did a quick stretch to relieve some of the cramps in my arms. Being tied up for hours wasn't the best experience in my opinion. I slithered to the outskirts of the camp and slowly circled the camp, looking for openings to attack. Soon I found one.

A lone trapper was cooking some meat on a spit. His dying campfire shed little light around him and he was quite far from everyone, a perfect target. I slowly started creeping along the ground using my arms and tail. Two centuries of practice as a snake made it hard for him to hear me as I approached.

As soon as I was within striking distance I coiled my tail like a spring and leapt forward. I left him no chance to retaliate. I struck like lightning, biting into his neck with my true mouth and wrapping him with my tail. His mouth opened and he let out a soundless scream as his windpipe was eviscerated by my fangs tore through his windpipe and my venom entered his blood, paralyzing him. He still tried to mount a feeble resistance, though a quick tightening of my tail and his ribs broke with an audible, but muffled, *crack* sending his bones through his internal organs. I was making sure he died

As soon as he was lifeless I let go with both my mouth and tail, his body falling onto the ground with a dull, wet thud. Not caring about him anymore I grabbed his partially cooked meat and ravenously tore into it like a pack of Saber Hyenas would an unprotected Swamp Bison calf. But it wasn't enough. The food felt like it was missing something vital and it barely sated me. I flicked my forked tongue out in annoyance and it caught the scent of something delicious, and it was coming from the corpse I just killed.

I slithered towards the corpse and in the pit of my stomach, I felt a hunger. Something deep and primal, a yearning for something it has. My instincts took over. With unrestrained strength, I thrust my right hand into his chest, destroying anything that stopped me along the way until I found what I wanted. Grasping the organ I was after I violently ripped it out, spreading blood and bone fragments around the the corpse. In my hand was his heart, and without a second thought I stuffed it into my fanged maw.

As I ate it I felt power course through me. I felt stronger than before. Not by much, but definitely more than before. Plus I felt satiated, not full yet but there were plenty more of these hunters around. As those thoughts went through my mind a seemingly satisfied hiss escaped through my closed maw. I wanted to slink back into the dark, looking for my next prey, but I remembered what the mysterious figure said. There was no one around so it should be safe

"Open Ur System." What appeared before me was something I never thought possible.

Welcome to your Ur System Orstelia

Initializing. Please wait patiently

A floating, transparent greyish-blue box was in front of her eyes. It didn't emit any light as it was just as dark around her as it was before. It also seemed to calm her down from her bloodlust but that could just be the adrenaline from a successful ambush and kill wearing off. A new box appearing snapped her out of her thoughts.

Name: Orstelia Gender: Female
Race: Ur-Lamia (Tarrisian Death Boa) Status: Healthy
Titles: None Divine Titles: Horizon Eating Serpent
Level: 1/10 HEP: 1/25
Stat Value
Free Stat Points 0
Strength 25
Dexterity 25
Endurance 30
Mind 10
Charm 20
Sense 35

-Abilities-

Lamia’s Venom [Racial Ability {Passive Ability}]: A potent venom that gets stronger with you. More venom types are unlocked as your level increases. You will always have as many doses of venom as your Endurance stat. Each dose of venom takes 1 minute to replenish. Stronger venoms will take multiple doses to use. Venoms are most effective if injected into the target via your venomous fangs or put into an exposed area like an open wound or the eyes.

Current Venoms: Weak Paralysis Venom. [Next venom unlocked at LVL 5]

 

Constrict [Racial Ability {Active Ability}]: Wraps your muscular tail around a victim and crushes it with pure force. Deals damage equal to your Strength stat (25) x 3. Scale augments can add additional effects. 

 

Devour [Unique Ability {Active Ability}]: The prey you consume is instantly destroyed and used to nourish your abilities. Skills receive experience if the consumed prey has that skill. Abilities can be granted if multiple of the same ability is consumed. The amount of prey needed changes based on the rank of the ability. Abilities already acquired gain a chance to mutate and change when additional versions of it are absorbed. This can be just an increase in power or new effects can be acquired based on your already existing abilities. Cannot get racial abilities this way and unique abilities have a 25% chance of not being acquired. Prey consumed with this ability does not satisfy hunger or thirst.

 

Inspect [System Ability{Active Ability}]: A skill given to those with a system. Allows one to see information about objects, people, and animals that few know of. The more powerful you are the more you can see. [More information unlocked after LVL 10]

-Skills-

None: Do things to acquire skills

 

-Blessings-

None

 

-Boons-

None

 

-Curses-

None

 

-Augments-

None

My head began to hurt with all of the information that was presented to me. Let's just start going down the list.

First my name. Before I was changed into what I am now I didn't really have one. I vaguely remember when people saw me they always started cursing to whatever gods they believed in. Usually something along the line of  "Why did the gods put me in the path of the Swamp Queen!" or "Damn the gods! That snake just ate my child!" and other such things that are just asking the gods to smite you. So having an actual name feels kinda nice.

Race, what the fuck was an Ur-Lamia? As soon as that question escaped my mind the system popped up to seemingly elaborate.

An Ur is the first of their kind and is usually the most powerful of their kind. Although some Ur's have been killed by their offspring. An Ur's job is to propagate their species once they have reached a certain amount of power. The means to do so will show itself as an Ur reaches its second evolution, but until then all sexual desires are suppressed for their own safety. Becoming too distracted with sex is detrimental to an Ur as they need more strength to avoid usurpation. The title of Ur will pass down to any of the same species that kills an Ur but if an Ur is killed by someone outside the species then they are lost forever. All Ur's obtain a system by the will of [REDACTED] to facilitate their growth and give them an advantage over others. They are also given enough common knowledge to get by in life.

**[REDACTED'S] NOTE**

Do not assume you are the pinnacle of existence just because you start ahead of others. There are beings so much more powerful than you that it is like a pebble compared to a mountain. Best of luck to you.

****

Lamia are snakes with the upper halves of humanoid-looking people. Where there would be legs on a humanoid is instead a thick tail of varying colors and patterns. All lamia originate from their Ur, Orstelia.

Thank you system for the info dump. Now what are titles and divine titles? And why do I have one?

Titles are given by mortals to you. Things like "Kingslayer" or "Divine Beauty". They grant no power and are just different ways people describe you.

Divine Titles are given by 'The Council Of 1000 Gods' or beings with more authority. Each one is unique and is only held by one person. They grant no power like titles but are instead how higher beings describe you. Beings like other Urs, demigods, or powerful "others". It is usually customary for Urs to refer to each other by their Divine Titles unless they are in private with those they are friendly with. One may hold multiple Divine Titles but only one is used in casual conversation, usually the first acquired but the use of shorter ones may happen if the first title is long.

Okay relatively simple. Level is probably how strong I am. Evolution was mentioned earlier so I assume that's what happens when I reach level 10. What's HEP though?

HEP stands for Heart Eaten Points.

You gain them from eating the hearts of those you killed or assisted in killing. More points are gained by eating the hearts of more powerful prey.

KILL THEM ALL! EAT ALL THEIR HEARTS! GIVE BLOOD TO THE GODS! GIVE YOUR ENEMIES NO MERCY FOR FEW WILL GIVE IT BACK!

Well, that's something. My stats and abilities though I do understand at least. They are just describing things I know and feel about my body. Everything is pretty straightforward. Strength is how physically strong I am, Dexterity is how nimble I am, Endurance is how much stamina I have, Mind is how smart I am, Charm is something that affects people's initial attitude towards me, and Sense is how good I can detect stuff around me. While my values are high initially I still feel that they are on the lower end of things.

I could try [Devour] on the corpse in front of me but I don't know if it leaves me vulnerable or not, or how long it takes to use. Let's wait until everything is over for now then try it.

I flicked my tongue to taste what I could in the air. It seems that I can taste a bit more than I could previously. If what I'm tasting is correct then including the corpse in front of me there should be around fifteen trappers. Four about as strong as him judging by their taste.

Orstelia's humanoid mouth crept into a toothy grin, the cavity that was her fanged maw slightly visible as the white of her folded fangs was barely visible. She would enjoy this hunt.

****

The night was dark as it usually was here on Tarrise. This place was practically untouched by all the other nations. Just about everything here wanted to kill you, eat you, or both. Spiders the size of a horse dwelt in the southwest, land drakes in the north, and the Everfall Forest to the east was the worst. Even the trees were trying to eat you there. But it was the perfect place for exotic creatures to trap and trade, and my boys managed to get something very exotic. Some sort of snake demihuman that has never been seen before. She's extremely good looking which means that we could sell her for an absolute fortune to those sick, perverted nobles. The only question is which ones?

Nobles in Encarga are out of the picture. They care more for their magitech than attractive demihumans. Some of the Oni Daimyo in Kirikuni might be interested. They love good looking humanoids for their harems, although I don't like dealing with them. The regular Oni Daimyo look at me like I'm a slab of meat to test their swords on, and the oni with Lilith's blood are so reclusive it's almost impossible to negotiate with them in their secluded village. Speaking of them, there are rumors that "The Wind Yakshini" finally settled down as the leader and got married. If that's true then the entire power struggle there has ended so Kirikuni should be a bit safer to traverse now, I should be able to restock on Blade Stag horns soon.

Nobles in Helostriope probably would buy her and use her as a muse for some sort of art. They are weird like that. The ones in Dorado care more about making gold than spending it, although a noble may try to buy her as a gift to Queen Taroth. Rumor has it that she's looking for beautiful women for some sort of project she's working on. I would sell to her directly but that woman terrifies me. I've seen her use her magic to encase people in molten gold. The screams still haunt me whenever I think about that deal.

My best bet would probably be a nation on Orasfione. All the fractured kingdoms there are always looking to one-up the other and a unique demihuman is something they would absolutely want. I would get paid less than if any of the others got it but I would gain some prestige in whatever kingdom I sold it to. With enough prestige, I can finally stop being a destitute trapper and become something more. Maybe some lofty noble position like 'Master of the King's Hunts' or something. Things were finally starting to look my way.

As the leader of the trappers sat there in contemplation one of his subordinates rushed into his tent. 

"Boss this is urgent! Some of our men have been killed and their hearts were ripped out! We need you out here now!"

The leader didn't hesitate he quickly strapped his sword to his waist and grabbed his arbalest and steel bolts. He had a bad feeling about this.

53